Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The State of the Economy Thread - “Falling inflation, rising growth give U.S. the world’s best recovery”

PleaseBlitz

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I doubt our supply chain gets disrupted too much.

My patient uses tube feeding.  Food (basically milk with protein in it) goes into a disposable "bag with tube", and gets pumped into a tube that's surgically implanted into his abdomen.  That's how he gets all of his food and water needs.  

The "bag and tube" assembly gets replaced every day.  (It delivers room temperature milk.  After 24 hours at room temperature, needs replaced.)  

Twice now, we've had periods where we've had to take his last two bags, rinse them out with tap water, and use them again.  For a month or so.  

Because the sets are made in Puerto Rico.  And because of hurricane/earthquake, there just weren't enough bag sets to equip the country.  

You think we can shut down every business in the country (and lots of other countries, and international shipping) and not have massive unanticipated disruptions?  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Larry said:

It's gonna take really big government intervention to prevent it.  

And the signs say, we're not gonna get it.  

The way this government works, I'm betting it will be their intervention that causes it.

15 minutes ago, Larry said:

Twice now, we've had periods where we've had to take his last two bags, rinse them out with tap water, and use them again.  For a month or so.

Why no soap or something?

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

Checked my IRA and 401k this morning. Both have lost around 25%.

I am feeling poor all of a sudden....

Is it wrong for me to say if my 401k isnt there when I need it, it was never really there in the first place?  Maybe it's the millennial in me, growing up being told my retirement safety net plans would gone or bankrupt by time I reach that age : /

Edited by Renegade7

20 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Why no soap or something?

I don't trust my ability to remove soap from the interior of a plastic bag and tubing.  And whatever I can't rinse off is gonna get pumped into his small intestine.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Is it wrong for me to say if my 401k isnt there when I need it, it was never really there in the first place?  Maybe it's the millennial in, growing up being told my retirement safety net plans would gone or bankrupt by time I reach that age : /

It's the reason that defined pensions were/are so beloved by generations of workers. The whims of the market don't **** with your retirement.

My slush fund 457 is now lower than it was in January 2019. Thank god I chose a job that has a defined pension coming to me in 11 or so years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

I don't trust my ability to remove soap from the interior of a plastic bag and tubing.  And whatever I can't rinse off is gonna get pumped into his small intestine.  

I'd imagine plenty of fresh water flushing it after a soapy mix would get the bulk of it out.  Better to risk a tiny amount of soap than whatever bacteria.

53 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I faxed the final papers to move hubby's 401k into an account for me to withdraw on yesterday. (The plan is to pay off the house & all debt, then reinvest the rest.) How fast they move on it will determine whether I can recover anything or not today. Feels weird to even be paying attention, but I gotta. 😳

Get professional advice if you can on what you should sell and what to hold if you do decide to liquidate a significant portion. Selling stocks at the moment is likely locking in losses when recovery might not be that many months away. Selling any bond holdings at this time would be better, if you need to raise funds.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 3

I wouldn't be touching it at all if it wasn't absolutely necessary. Unfortunately, my income alone won't support mortgage payments, so I have to pay off my debt with it in order to make monthly living less of a challenge. I've got a great accountant who has been awesome in helping. 

• Like 1

Probably belongs here, instead of the virus thread.  

Disney World, Disneyland, Universal Orlando to close Monday, till end of month.  

(I think it will be a miracle if the shutdown is less than sis weeks.  I'd bet "over" on six weeks.   Who seriously thinks this thing is going to be better in two weeks?)  

Just reflecting on what kind of impact this is going to have on that whole region.  What the secondary and other effects of several weeks/months without all those paychecks from Disney, and the people who sell things to people who are going to Disney.  

I've often speculated that the cash registers at Disney probably take in $10M/day.  And almost all of that money is from outside the county.  (A good chunk of it is from outside the country.)  And a good chunk of that money then leaves Disney (and associated businesses) in the pockets of an incredibly large army of employees.  Who then spend that money in an even larger pool of businesses who don't sell directly to tourists, but they sell to people who do get their money from tourists.  

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Probably belongs here, instead of the virus thread.  

Disney World, Disneyland, Universal Orlando to close Monday, till end of month.  

(I think it will be a miracle if the shutdown is less than sis weeks.  I'd bet "over" on six weeks.   Who seriously thinks this thing is going to be better in two weeks?)  

Just reflecting on what kind of impact this is going to have on that whole region.  What the secondary and other effects of several weeks/months without all those paychecks from Disney...

I thought Disney said they were paying their workers during the shutdown? Maybe I read that wrong...

Edited by The Evil Genius

3 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Selling stocks at the moment is likely locking in losses when recovery might not be that many months away.

Not selling assumes we are somewhere close to the bottom. I liquidated all of my investments that aren’t in a tax-advantaged account 3 days ago. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I thought Disney said they were paying their workers during the shutdown? Maybe I read that wrong...

I didn't read that.  If true, then that's a fantastic bit of corporate responsibility.  Something I wouldn't believe in a Disney movie.  

Edit:  DIS stock up 6% today.  Although still down 10% for the week.  Market doesn't seem to be punishing them for it.  

Edited by Larry
  • Haha 2

Disney said it will continue to pay its "cast members" -- as it terms park employees and workers at its Disney Store retail outlets -- during the shutdown.

www.fool.com/amp/investing/2020/03/12/disney-closing-disneyland-california-adventure-par.aspx

FWIW, we'll see if that is accurate.

Edited by The Evil Genius

25 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Not selling assumes we are somewhere close to the bottom. I liquidated all of my investments that aren’t in a tax-advantaged account 3 days ago. 

No, ‘not selling’  assumes you don’t know what’s next up or down. Unless you are desperate for the money now you are gambling/market timing.

cue @techboy

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

4% of that is since the press conference started. I’m betting it goes down quite a bit, so I’m getting out. 

I’m staying the course. Same investment schedule weekly into VTSAX and VTIAX.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 1