Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

uhh....

Hear any free agents the Washington Redskins are interested in at any position? What is the latest on Trent Williams?

Here are two updates from my previous reports on the Redskins:

1) Not only does Ron Rivera love Chase Young, but owner Daniel Snyder wants Young to wind up DC. It seems unanimous the owner and the coach are on the same page on drafting Young at this point.

2) I made mention during The Draft Insiders podcast the belief is Trent Williams is likely to return to the Redskins since they’ve cleaned house. A source told me outright Williams will return to Washington because of Ron Rivera.

Sorry if this was already posted. 

Edit: I'm a dope, i missed it in the Chase Young thread, sorry. 

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

@volsmet Ironically, I’ve probably been pretty reluctant to attribute SF’s success to Bosa, so I’m with you there.  
So, at what point do you just roll with the qb you have/like?  What I mean is, how often do you look to add a qb in the first?  Do you go so far as to trade up for them because of the benefits the rookie contract provides (even if you have one you like)? At what point are you hurting your team because you’re not using 1st rounders on other positions?  
All kinda nebulous questions as situations will be different every time, I know.   

The money not spent on QBs is an advantage you invest in FA/trades, it gives you more options to improve your roster with guys who have proven they can get it done in the nfl. NE has gotten very little out of their first rounders in the last decade, they use FA & trades to acquire guys that can do things they know how to utilize. I don’t think you just go get rookies, I wanted Matt Moore when this board was arguing over Alex Smith v Kirk, I mentioned how atrocious I thought each of those options were. In this thread I think most of us try to balance what is possible with what is inevitable... all I truly aim to illustrate is that it’s absurd to pay QBs; These guys just aren’t making up for the deficiencies their contracts create. 

I wouldn’t take Burrow or Herbert, I don’t see anything special about them that Haskins doesn’t have a decent shot at realizing himself. Tua is in his own category for me, he is the one guy who drastically increases our odds of hitting on the special rookie contract qb. Haskins at 15-20% & Tua at 75% makes me much more excited about our roster & what we can build around those two than a Joey Bosa & DH. Tua will hold trade value, there were teams making relatively significant offers for Mariota not all that long ago. If they both stink, another elite draft pick is waiting for us. I think taking a chance on Tua is a SB winning move while taking Chase is the more likely path to being very good and picking 19th for 8 years. I think it’s an opportunity we can’t pass on; I would draft DeShaun Watson with DH, I would trade the #2 pick for Watson — most grade Tua above Watson. I would not trade the #2 pick for Brees or JimmyG or any QB that’s not on a rookie deal. I’d love one year of Watson on his rookie deal, then franchise him & trade him. 

I absolutely love Chase Young, but I see Tua as the more likely route to a title in DC. Higher ceiling, lower floor ... but in sports, the floor is rewarded with more high draft picks. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Come on man, that's petty stuff to knock him for.  By every single account, Burrow's intangibles are off the charts great.  It's his biggest selling point.  Those other kids in that LSU locker room would take a bullet for him.  He rallied and led them at a masterful level this season.

The kid's got swagger, which is a good thing, not a bad thing.  You've got to have swagger to be a good leader in the NFL.  Patrick Mahomes has more swagger than anyone else in the league and it's a big part of why he's the league's best player.

If anything, I wish Haskins was more like Burrow.  Burrow is very natural and keeps it loose while staying locked in.  Haskins is very cerebral and hungry, and at times he can be awkward and uptight.  I want Haskins to relax, be confident, and let his dick swing like Burrow does.  That's how the great ones keep it fun and keep their sanity.

Sounds like this guy

7 minutes ago, volsmet said:

You will see another one from Maryland in 3 years.

And then another one a few years after. And another one 3 years after that.

The best pass rusher prospect hits the draft every few years.

Young will be good. But the rhetoric is painful. 

EARLY NFL DRAFT WR RANKINGS (ANALYTICS)

Hayden Winks
BY HAYDEN WINKS
February 20, 2020, 1:45 pm ET
Updated On: February 20, 2020, 1:45 pm ET

For modeling wide receiver prospects, we can’t have a complete projection until we are through the Combine because athletic testing holds some predictive value. In the meantime, we’ll check out each receiver’s college production, which is a lot more predictive than athleticism anyways. I’ll share each NFL Combine invitee’s historical ranking in predictive on-field metrics, write up what I see on film with some statistical evidence to back up my opinions, and post the results of my pre-Combine model… 

Pre-Combine WR

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/nfl-draft-preview/early-nfl-draft-wr-rankings-analytics?page=0

Henry Ruggs

Henry Ruggs (6’0/190) is a rare athlete who wins behind the line of scrimmage and on vertical routes thanks to his sub-4.3 speed, making him a potential matchup nightmare, big-play threat, and special teams ace. At Alabama, he was a secondary receiver to Jerry Jeudy and Devonta Smith (that’s a red flag), but he still tested out in the 85th percentile in my predictive adjusted production metric because he was young, played on a great team, and was extremely efficient. His 13.5 yards per target average was the second best in the class, only trailing CeeDee Lamb. On tape, it’s clear he’s the fastest player on the field (video), which allows him to win behind the line of scrimmage on screens/sweeps and down the field. He’ll need to fine-tune his game to beat physical corners given his lack of size and inexperience (98 career receptions), but he can be a difference maker right away in the NFL with his speed and start/stop ability alone. 

Predicted Overall Draft Pick: 17th

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

6ft 5, 305, and ran the 3 cone in 7.1 at 17 years old. Obviously you know the name, he’s fun to watch.

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

2017 - Chase has more tools than Garrett.

2014 - Chase is more flexible and agile than Clowney, and already has better hands.

2011 - Chase is much more physically imposing than Von.

12 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

2017 - Chase has more tools than Garrett.

2014 - Chase is more flexible and agile than Clowney, and already has better hands.

2011 - Chase is much more physically imposing than Von.

If you're trying to prove that Young is a good football player - you don't have to. I know. And I like him quite a bit.

If you're trying to say that there won't be a better pass rusher in a few years pegged as generational, we'll have to wait and see... but I don't like your chances :P

Just now, KDawg said:

If you're trying to prove that Young is a good football player - you don't have to. I know. And I like him quite a bit.

If you're trying to say that there won't be a better pass rusher in a few years pegged as generational, we'll have to wait and see... but I don't like your chances :P

Just trying to understand why the rhetoric below is so painful...

"I have never given a grade as high as @youngchase907. He's what you get when you package the technical development of the Bosa brothers with the physical gifts of Myles Garrett.  I don't know if I'll ever see another 20 year old prospect like him again."

In two years, we're probably going to be talking about Kayvon Thibedeaux in the same way we're talking about Chase Young now.  Doesn't matter if Chase is a once in a decade or whatever prospect.  He's a 100% no brainer pick for us at 2 if he's there.  He is going to be our pick unless he goes #1, and it is absolutely the right move to make.

The talk about us drafting Burrow or Tagavailo is an entirely moot discussion, and to be blunt, it's not a particularly interesting or valuable one.  There is no chance that it happens, it would be a terrible mistake to make, and we're not going to make it.  We're going to build around Haskins and an unbelievably talented defensive line, and if we use our picks and money well, we're going to get really good in a year or two.

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Just trying to understand why the rhetoric below is so painful...

"I have never given a grade as high as @youngchase907. He's what you get when you package the technical development of the Bosa brothers with the physical gifts of Myles Garrett.  I don't know if I'll ever see another 20 year old prospect like him again."

It's not any one thing. It's the sum of the total. I actually agree with a lot of it. But I'm convinced that a lot of the draft community doesn't remember how much they gushed over Nick Bosa, Von Miller, Khalil Mack, etc. 

Chase Young is going to be awesome. 

But there will be another generational talent in a few years being touted on the EDGE.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

In two years, we're probably going to be talking about Kayvon Thibedeaux in the same way we're talking about Chase Young now.  Doesn't matter if Chase is a once in a decade or whatever prospect.  He's a 100% no brainer pick for us at 2 if he's there.  He is going to be our pick unless he goes #1, and it is absolutely the right move to make.

The talk about us drafting Burrow or Tagavailo is an entirely moot discussion, and to be blunt, it's not a particularly interesting or valuable one.  There is no chance that it happens, it would be a terrible mistake to make, and we're not going to make it.  We're going to build around Haskins and an unbelievably talented defensive line, and if we use our picks and money well, we're going to get really good in a year or two.

You are a known Haskins fan. I am not.

Having said that, I agree. Young will be the pick and absolutely deserves the pick and will be very productive.

Dismissing how much better Tua is than Haskins is a personal thing. But I don't think it's one you can easily write off as you have here.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The talk about us drafting Burrow or Tagavailo is an entirely moot discussion, and to be blunt, it's not a particularly interesting or valuable one.  There is no chance that it happens, it would be a terrible mistake to make, and we're not going to make it. 

7DD6A547-BCD7-427A-821C-C33484D71461.gif

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

But there will be another generational talent in a few years being touted on the EDGE.

I agree that "generational" talent is a term that is used much too loosely.  The Reddit draft forum did an interesting project where they went back and graded prospects at each position as either "generational", "presidential", or neither.  The term "presidential" represents a once in every 4-year or so prospect, which I think is a much better way to judge a player vs his peers.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I agree that "generational" talent is a term that is used much too loosely.  The Reddit draft forum did an interesting project where they went back and graded prospects at each position as either "generational", "presidential", or neither.  The term "presidential" represents a once in every 4-year or so prospect, which I think is a much better way to judge a player vs his peers.

Good post. Never heard that term before but I like it. Thanks!

Archived