Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Skins really need to consider this year and next as part of a rebuilding process (the Schottenheimer approach).  Ditch the older vet contracts or those who are often injured (Jordan Reed and Josh Norman) and go with young talent.  I'm hoping for trades to acquire more draft capital but most importantly the picks need to contribute.  Montez Sweat isn't flashing any spectacular "thank god we drafted him" plays yet.  And, please no more injury-value picks.  It's time for the Skins to heavily invest in the OL (any position) and TE.  Scherff and Moses are supposed to be the strength of the line but they seem to have quite a few holding calls and QB pressures.  No OL player should be safe from replacement.  I'd be willing to reach a bit for the OL draft pick if necessary to reduce the potential hits on Haskins.        

Mentioned this in the Gameday thread but it bears repeating.

Unpopular opinion: we need to invest into a stud DB.

We have ignored this position in the first round for 13 years now. I think the last 1st we used on a DB was Landry in 2007?

And it shows. Our secondary is abysmal. Norman is an over-glorified press corner with no foot speed, needs Safety help and a pass rush to be effective. Dunbar is just a dude. DRC is well past his prime. Landon Collins has shown nothing. Nicholson is constantly out of position.

I get people wanting o-line, esp. now since it seems Trent will not be here, but O-line is a position easily filled with mid-late round picks and FA (Flowers is not as bad as people thought). But if you want a top flight DB, you have to get one high and early.

This will translate almost immediately into wins on the field. I ask you this... if Trent was playing would have it made a difference? Now Imagine if we had someone like a prime Patrick Peterson or Derwin James instead of Norman and Nicholson, the outcome of the first two games could be different. Would DJax and Cowboys receivers be open as often deep? That's basically 28 points given up on being toasted and/or blown coverage.

12 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

That 2nd round pick would be nice to look forward to right about now

I wouldn't have made the trade for Sweat personally.  I wasn't as high on him as the consensus in the draft thread last year--I liked him but didn't love him like I did Ferrell and Josh Allen, and I liked Burns over him too.

But Sweat absolutely has the upside to justify the picks used to get him because he's a once in a blue moon athlete.  As far as I know, 36 inch arms with 4.41 speed has never been seen at OLB before.  He has Danielle Hunter-type potential, and it took Hunter a minute to become what he is today.  Sweat is raw, and people are going to have to be patient with him.  People should have known the deal with him that he's got an underdeveloped plan walking up to the line and that it will take time for him to develop his approach.  In the meantime what we're looking for is flashes of elite physical traits where he does some winning against good protectors, and consistency with his run fits, power in containment, and discipline on the backside.  So far he's been OK.  I think he's going to pan out, and I definitely still think he could realize his massive potential down the road.

16 hours ago, PlayAction said:

Scherff and Moses are supposed to be the strength of the line but they seem to have quite a few holding calls and QB pressures.

Moses is a bum, but Scherff is getting roasted today for the holding calls yesterday but he doesn't really deserve it.  That first hold was a weak call, or a mistaken attribution.  The latch was between the guy's shoulder pads.  Every offensive line does that every play and it almost never generates a holding call.  I didn't see the second hold because the broadcast didn't show a replay of the snap.  The blown stunt was Moses's mistake, not Scherff's.

Lot of knee jerk reactions about Scherff after that game.  Writing him off over a ****ing ticky tack call despite giving us Probowl caliber play three out of the four years he's been here.

Well we're not going to pick #2 because there is simply no way we're worse than the Jets or Dolphins.

I think we actually settle into a groove after getting brutalized through the first five games and win several games.  6 or 7 wins feels right.  Probably pick somewhere around 8-12.

I definitely don't think we'll get Chase Young and I think we'll finish below Andrew Thomas's range too.

if we can trade Trent for high picks and if Wirfs and Cosmi come out, we can still get a good lineman early in the draft.

14 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

we need to tank.... we aren't winning a thing this year. Get that #1 overall and make the Dolphins trade up with multiple firsts and a second for our pick to get Tua. We finally have a chance to do it right (though I know we won't). The Jets will win some games when Darnold is back.

We're going to get Allen back too though.  They haven't played like it yet, but I still think our defense is far too good to be in #1 overall territory.

BUT say we do finish with a very high pick.  And say someone else is looking to trade up for Herbert.  Do we pass on a potential stud like Thomas or the corner from Ohio State in order to add picks?  That would be a puzzle.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

We're going to get Allen back too though.  They haven't played like it yet, but I still think our defense is far too good to be in #1 overall territory.

BUT say we do finish with a very high pick.  And say someone else is looking to trade up for Herbert.  Do we pass on a potential stud like Thomas or the corner from Ohio State in order to add picks?  That would be a puzzle.

Too early to tell with so many games left. Many things could happen as far as injuries are concerned and also the chances of players returning to college. I think Jon Allen may have been my favorite player on the team but his injury history is starting to drive me nuts. 

Second-year UDFA Kyle Allen will start over third-rounder Will Grier if Cam Newton (foot) is sidelined for Week 3 against the Cardinals.

"I think Kyle's more than ready," coach Ron Rivera claimed Tuesday. "I think he's got a really good arm, makes good decisions. He just needs to speed himself up a bit." "Just needs to speed himself up a bit" sounds like a quarterback about to get dominated. Allen did start last Week 17 and held his own. He also has a plus matchup in the Cardinals, though plus matchups don't really exist for players in Allen's position.

Sep 17, 2019, 2:43 PM ET
  •  

2ACE1C5C-AE2D-4FF2-B07A-04B5190CCD66.gif

I watched that Clemson-Syracuse game again, and i thought Higgins was pretty good in it but there were some missed opportunities there that got covered up by the huge plays.

The Clemson offense isn't as good as I thought it would be.  As good as they should be playing.  And a lot of it is due to Trevor Lawrence just not playing well this year.  He looks more athletic this season and he's making up for some of his mistakes with impressive runs.  And there are some little things he's doing really well now, like the ball handling in the pocket.  But his accuracy and especially his decision-making have taken a HUGE step backwards.  He was awful against Georgia Tech.  He's been out of sync with his receivers.  And he's just been missing a lot of reads and throws.

That defense is legit though.  And the schedule is easy.  They should be able to ride the defense through the struggles until they get it figured out on offense, but if they were to play Georgia or Alabama or Ohio State or LSU next week, they would get blown out.

There are several good match ups for us to watch this weekend, starting with Utah vs USC on Friday.  Wisconsin vs Michigan at noon on Saturday, Auburn vs A&M at 3:30, Oregon vs Stanford at 7, and Georgia vs Notre Dame at 8.

I've been watching Wisconsin cut ups to prep for Wisconsin vs Michigan and I'm not really sure what to think about Tyler Biadasz.  The more I watch, the more I think he's someone where you really need to look hard to see the potential because I don't think his body is at all ready to translate to the NFL.  Kind of a fat, slow masher of a player at a position.  Usually centers are more athletic.  It wouldn't surprise me if athletic testing numbers are awful.  He's got the weight distribution of a nose tackle and he has a sloppy midsection.  His body control looks pretty bad and the footspeed is nothing special, and as a result his contact balance is pretty bad and his second level accuracy is sketchy.  He's just not going to be able to reach some of those scrapes and edge defenders so you have to understand what he is when you design your run game.  The length is also probably below average.  He's listed at 6'3 but I highly doubt the accuracy of that measurement.  That said I think his arm length might be alright.

But the things he does well are pretty great.  I love his personality as a player as he is an absolute savage and his motor is awesome.  He's just a mean, mean **** of an offensive lineman who revels in trench warfare.  His block finishing is fun to watch, he ragdolls off-balance defenders and loves to take them to the ground.  Very violent and heavy hands.  Tons of functional power.  He can single block nose tackles and uproot them from gaps.  On just straight up power run blocks he can absolutely seal gaps and give you consistent push.  Wisconsin has a ton of success running through his creases.  His flexibility is actually really good and he's got that low center of gravity so you'd think he could clean up some of his balance issues by working on speeding up his feet.  His snap quickness is also good, so even though he's a terrible runner, there is some twitchiness there.  His short area run blocking is basically as good as a guard's and he could really free you up to run your guards around because of his A gap power.

I didn't really notice huge issues in pass-pro.  He's got a concrete jaw that can just eat up punches without falling off his blocks.  You know his anchor is going to be good.  The one knock is, can he reach a quick blitzer or a stunter?  You're going to see him lunging and falling off those kinds of guys because of how slow his feet are.

If this is who he is, then I would think day two or early day three for his draft range.  But he's someone who I could see getting way, way better if he can get in better shape and get quicker with his feet.  He's got the raw clay and the intangibles to be outstanding.

What our our priority positions right now at this stage of the season?

In order I would rank them - 

1 - CB & LT

2 - RT & RG

3 - OLB & DE

4 - RB - TE

This is not looking at drafting for depth, this is looking for playmakers at the position. The only reason that RB is so low, is between, AP - Guice - and Love you would think that someone will be available for 2020.

On defense, corner and safety are the main issues.  All of the young blood we've invested in those spots hasn't cohered.

On offense, quarterback, wide receiver, and right guard are the only positions I feel good about long term.  That could obviously change if Scherff walks.  The other four spots on the OL need upgrades and/or depth.  RB and TE also need an infusion of outside talent.

4. CB GREEDY WILLIAMS, CLEVELAND BROWNS – 76.8

After a poor performance in Week 1, Greedy Williams bounced back in Week 2 with an 87.5 coverage grade. Against the Jets in Week 2, Williams allowed zero catches on his three targets in coverage (including no plays). Two of those three targets were negated by penalties, and it just so happens both of those ended in a forced incompletion. Questions arose when he was going through the draft process as to whether or not he could play in an NFL zone scheme after playing a man dominant scheme at LSU. So far, Greedy has allowed just one catch in zone and also happens to be the highest-graded rookie in that scheme.

3. WR TERRY MCLAURIN, WASHINGTON REDSKINS – 83.6

Washington has had some bad luck with receivers in recent years and has failed to develop a solid deep threat option. Through two weeks, Terry McLaurin looks to finally be the answer to both of those problems. On a per route basis, McLaurin has been fairly productive with 2.49 yards per route run, and he has produced a passer rating when targeted of 142.4, four explosive plays, two broken tackles and two contested catches. On the deep ball, McLaurin has accumulated the fifth-most deep receiving yards with 118. With an average depth of target of 18.1 yards, it’s not a surprise Washington keeps feeding McLaurin, as he is the second highest-graded receiver in the NFL on passes 10-plus yards at 94.7.

2. WR MARQUISE BROWN, BALTIMORE RAVENS – 86.9

It was going to be hard for Marquise Brown to top his Week 1 debut when he recorded a 94.1 overall grade, but his Week 2 was good enough to have him remain the highest-grade rookie wide receiver and the second highest-graded rookie overall. Through the first couple weeks, Brown has generated Lamar Jackson a passer rating of 152.2 on his targets while producing 5.18 yards per route run, five broken tackles after the catch and four explosive plays. Brown in an open field is lethal. With 10 of his 17 targets charted as open (basically had more than a step of separation), it’s no surprise Brown has produced what he has (88.5 receiving grade on open targets, third in the league).

1. RB JOSH JACOBS, OAKLAND RAIDERS – 89.8

Coming in as the highest-graded rookie and highest-graded running back overall is Oakland Raiders’ Josh Jacobs. Among running backs with at least 25 attempts, Jacobs ranks fifth in both missed tackles forced per attempt (0.26) and in first down/touchdown rate (31%). Jacobs’ greatest quality in the run game has been his yards after the contact ability, and we see that when he is contacted behind the line of scrimmage. On those rushes, Jacobs has produced 5.5 yards per carry, 6.5 yards after contact per attempt and 0.46 missed tackles forced per attempt (all rank first). As opposed to most running backs, Jacobs has been phenomenal when running at or between the guards. In that direction, Jacobs’ 91.7 rushing grade is by far the best (second is Marlon Mack at 85.0), and he too ranks first in yards per carry (7.2), yards after contact per attempt (5.7) and first down/touchdown rate (39%).

Read More PFF Analysis

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

There are several good match ups for us to watch this weekend, starting with Utah vs USC on Friday.  Wisconsin vs Michigan at noon on Saturday, Auburn vs A&M at 3:30, Oregon vs Stanford at 7, and Georgia vs Notre Dame at 8.

Good games.  Georgia ND is the one I am most into

@stevemcqueen1 pretty much out there on his own on Minshew in the off season, its looking good.   I didn't realize it to Sheehan just mentioned it but Cooley was into him too.

If McLaurin keeps developing, wonder if it makes WR much less of a need albeit in this WR rich draft.  I am a BPA guy.  But I notice Doug gives away that need does color some of their draft choices including high ones.   Agree that O line and DB are the top needs at the moment. 

Archived