Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time to change philosophy on TE's

ThomasRoane

I noticed last year that Flannagan started getting some more PT towards the end of the year.  The Redskins passed up on a lot of receiving TE's in the draft and then picked up a blocking TE in Kano Dillon from Oregon.  I hope that means that Jay will begin to phase out Reed and Davis in favor of traditional, in-line TE's who can block. 

The NFL always goes in cycles.  Power and play action is back en vogue with the success of the Rams, Bears and cowpies; paired with a stout defense.  Honestly, the Pats won the Super Bowl by bullying the Rams with Michel.  A healthy Gurley may have put the Rams over the top.  It was that close.  Of course, you have your outliers like the Chiefs but I think it takes just the right personnel to be successful with their style.  Let's see how explosive they are without Tyrique Hill who commanded a double-team.  The Saints were explosive but also had the sixth ranked rushing attack in 2018.

Aside from LG, the greatest weakness for the running game has always been the unwillingness of Reed and Davis to block.  When called to do so, they usually get called for holding or just let their man cross face and blow the play up.  Honestly, you can tell when called to block they are like kids who wanted cereal and were handed a steaming bowl of broccoli instead.  They almost always give a half-assed effort. 

I would rather see Jay either trade Reed or just make him a receiver (for the few games that he's actually healthy).  Can't trade Davis at his age so cut him or move him outside too.  It makes no sense whatsoever to keep them anywhere near the tackle box.  The defense can play for the pass and still be successful vs the run because neither of them can (nor want) to block.  Then, when you put in Sprinkle or Flannagan it's a dead give away that there is about an 80% chance the play is a running play. 

I would rather see Jay phase out the pass receiving TEs and go with in-line TE's who can block their butts off and who can also slip out and catch a few balls a game.  That would be better than what the Redskins have been doing.  I suspect that Jay is moving in that direction because both receivers that were drafted are willing blockers. 

The issue has been when Reed and Davis are in it usually telegraphs pass play and run when Sprinkle and Flanagan are in. I was expecting them to draft a TE capable of doing both. Unfortunately there were only a few prospects that could do that and they all went earlier than expected. It's too bad they couldn't have found one the even if considered the #2 or #3 TE so they could at least cut Davis. If they intend to move forward with Flanagan as the #3 then Davis is gone. That though would leave 2 blocking TE's and you end up with what seek. Trouble when Reed gets injured.

The only thing I can think of is they hope to find another player when the cuts start. 

9 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Unfortunately there were only a few prospects that could do that and they all went earlier than expected. It's too bad they couldn't have found one the even if considered the #2 or #3 TE so they could at least cut Davis.

Yeah, there aren't many colleges using traditional inline Tight Ends so you pretty much have to develop your own.  Personally, I think they'd end up with a net gain by going with block-first TE's over the pass catching TE's.  The offense wouldn't be so predictable and let's be honest, while the plays that Reed and Davis make can be spectacular they really don't happen often enough to justify sticking with them.  If the Redskins had a Zach Ertz type then I could see them staying with a flexed TE.  But there's only one of him.  It's easier to find or develop a Sprinkle or Flannagan.  So, if either of them get hurt you can just plug in another TE and not really have to change your plan of attack. 

Looking at the QB situation this year with two journeymen (one with big health concerns) and a raw rookie a strong running game coupled with a shut down defense would be a good combination.  Even game manager Alex Smith got to 6 and 3 with that formula.

16 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Yeah, there aren't many colleges using traditional inline Tight Ends so you pretty much have to develop your own.  Personally, I think they'd end up with a net gain by going with block-first TE's over the pass catching TE's.  The offense wouldn't be so predictable and let's be honest, while the plays that Reed and Davis make can be spectacular they really don't happen often enough to justify sticking with them.  If the Redskins had a Zach Ertz type then I could see them staying with a flexed TE.  But there's only one of him.  It's easier to find or develop a Sprinkle's or Flannagan.  So, if either of them get hurt you can just plug in another TE and not really have to change your plan of attack. 

Looking at the QB situation this year with two journeymen (one with big health concerns) and a raw rookie a strong running game coupled with a shut down defense would be a good combination.  Even game manager Alex Smith got to 6 and 3 with that formula.

Unfortunately you are correct, there aren't many Ertz types. They do need to have players that can catch and maybe run afterwords or defenses would key on the run. If McCoy were the QB with his weenie arm the D would play 11 in the box. :silly:

7 minutes ago, Veretax said:

Yeah I was bummed when my sleeper TIght End Jevon Wesco out of WVU went in the 4th round.  I don't know any site that had that one.

They looked at him so I would think they had interest but he went earlier than they expected. He would have been the ideal blocker with hands.

8 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

I would rather see Jay phase out the pass receiving TEs and go with in-line TE's who can block their butts off and who can also slip out and catch a few balls a game.  

Luke Farrell led Ohio St TEs in receptions with 20 all season.  So maybe our new offense won't rely as much on a receiving tight end?  That would be nice, bc tight ends that are truly dual threat are tough to find.  Blocking tight ends are a dime a dozen.

I dig our UDFA TE Dillon.  Very few catches on the resume, but I saw him bully through 3 guys for a td, and saw him with a nice one handed grab.  With a mid 4.6 40, and a crazy catch window - 35” vert and 36” arms, - he’s got some potential as a pass catcher.

I’m assuming he needs a good bit of development of course, but considering the viewpoint stated above, I kind of like his chances.  Even more so since Davis ain’t long for the league, Reed’s oft injured, and Flanagan is just a guy for now.

This is partially predicated on him being a solid or better blocker.  No idea if that’s actually the case.

Nothing would make me happier than to revert to the days of the Hogs executing near flawless Counter Treys that even when the Defense knows it's coming, Peterson (or most likely, Guice), still gains 4+ yards on average. Alas, the powers-that-be don't want that.

I'm weary that now that pass interference is a reviewable penalty, more spot fouls will be rewarded and the League will be as pass happy as ever. Games are going to take a minimum of 4 hours soon.

28 minutes ago, CTskins said:

I'm weary that now that pass interference is a reviewable penalty, more spot fouls will be rewarded and the League will be as pass happy as ever. Games are going to take a minimum of 4 hours soon. 

I'm unclear on the rules, are pass interference calls going to be automatically reviewed by the booth, or are they only able to be challenged by coaches? If it's challenges, there won't be a huge difference made, there's still only a maximum of 3 challenges per game. If it's something that the booth calls often, then yeah, that would be problematic.

47 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I'm unclear on the rules, are pass interference calls going to be automatically reviewed by the booth, or are they only able to be challenged by coaches? If it's challenges, there won't be a huge difference made, there's still only a maximum of 3 challenges per game. If it's something that the booth calls often, then yeah, that would be problematic.

I believe it is the former, but the booth reviews everything after the 2 min warnings.

The uneven offensive packages that were telegraphing 'Pass' can be mitigated with better play calling.  Gruden is responsible for this error.  It's the coaches responsibility to know what his players are good and not good at.  They can easily change the play calling with the same personnel packages and catch the defenses in a mismatch but the predictable play calling aligning with the personnel package was stupidity.

They can use Sprinkle more often as well in his 3rd season.  Terry McLaurin can block too. 

I anticipate O'Connell being more deceptive with the personnel and play calling.  They only threw screens on 3rd down, which is absurd. You don't have to look very far for a drastic improvement.  As for the TE duo of Reed/Davis, Reed being injured so often makes it important to have Davis.  This might be the last we see of this as Reed could get traded or Davis could be cut. 

No one had Wesco going in the 4th. No one. I’m pretty sure we targeted him with one of our 5ths. I really wanted him here. We are likely going to make the best of what we got this year and address the hole in 2020. 

Sprinkle cant catch, and when he does, he’s going down. No threat for YAC. That’s not going to change. Our best bet is maybe an undrafted guy like Kano, trading Reed for a prospect, or just waiting. 

Archived