Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Undrafted Free agency Thread

clskinsfan

• 2 weeks later...

This time of year is always where one or two out-of-nowhere prospects make a name for himself. Could that guy this year be Steven Sims? The Kansas receiver popped a few times both in team and individual action and Gruden mentioned him by name in his presser. Last season, Gruden mentioned a different Sims, Cam, as well as Danny Johnson after minicamp and both of those players eventually made the 53-man roster. Not saying this Sims is a lock, but just file that away.

Lastly, the Redskins have already inked one tryout player, per our Ben Standig. Deion Harris, a North Dakota corner, did enough to secure a spot on the offseason roster. An Achilles injury caused him to go undrafted, but at one point, draft guru Mel Kiper was very high on him.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-rookie-minicamp-observations-notes-haskins-mclaurin-undrafted-guys-and-more

I love how many high up-side guys their finding throughout this class. 

Even Deion Harris, that try out player they just signed was seen as a potential day one pick in the past. He just had an Achilles injury in July 2017 that held him out for all this past season. If he’s fully recovered he might have a chance on the practice squad or more. He’s a 6-3 corner at 200lbs and a sub 4.5 40 before the injury. 

I know we’re all getting tired of picking up injured players, but for a try-out player, I don’t mind at all. 

More Steve Sims love via Rhiannon of The Athletic

Roy Williams, when he coached my KU Jayhawks, would have called Moreland's great attitude "want to." Let's hope it's infectious. So, Rhiannon, have you heard anything good about Steven Sims, 4.3 40 guy, who is trying to make the Redskins as a "walk-on" at slot receiver, special teams guy?

Walker-Rhiannon-Headshot-090318.jpg
Rhiannon Walker
STAFF
May 14, 7:48pm

@Brad A. I didn't just hear good things, I saw good things from him on Saturday. He's got the over-the-shoulder catch down pat. He puts DBs in a trance dancing and then quickly moves into his breaks. Haskins had no problem finding him in the end zone. Strong hands and great agility. I'm extremely excited to see him go up against the guys on Monday. I want to see how he performs against some of the starters

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah the drafted part of their post was obviously a mistake

Actually, I don't think it is a mistake. I like to follow the Giants model: If you've got a guy that you kind of like, you draft him here and now. The 2020 first round pick might have been useful when it came draft time, but you gotta do what you gotta do. He can probably start in 3 years.

• 3 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 5:36 PM, Fresh8686 said:

Man, I'm looking forward to seeing how Steve Sims Jr does for us. I think he has a chance to stick with the team from what little I saw of him.

On 5/12/2019 at 2:41 AM, Califan007 said:

He's getting mentioned in the media and from Gruden himself, so you could be right...

Yea good eye for talent there, young men.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Can the OP be a check list kind of thing? Names / team signing...

if you made the OP you signed up for that duty :ols:

This is an old UDFA thread from April that just got bumped.

I think you got it confused with one of the other 'signings threads'. 😄

Archived