Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC - Sri Lanka Explosions: More Than 200 Killed Easter Morning

RansomthePasserby

_106536332_053504606-1.jpg

Link: Sri Lanka explosions: More than 200 killed as churches and hotels targeted

“At least 207 people have been killed and 450 hurt in explosions at churches and hotels in Sri Lanka, police say.

At least eight blasts reported. Three churches in Negombo, Batticaloa and Colombo's Kochchikade district were targeted during Easter services.”

_106538014_sri_lanka_explosions_what_hap

“No-one was expecting this, it was a peaceful Sunday morning - everyone was going to Easter services.“

_106537447_053503795-1.jpg

“Colombo resident Usman Ali told the BBC there were massive queues as he joined people trying to donate blood.

He said: ‘Everyone had just one intention and that was to help the victims of the blast, no matter what religion or race they may be. Each person was helping another out in filling forms.’”

This is a sad day for Sri Lanka. Still no announcement on who is responsible.

Reading about it now. Seven in custody so far.

A massive tragedy for Sri Lanka. It's being reported nearly a quarter of the victims were foreigners to India - American, British, Turkish...I don't know how the international community is going to handle this.

Don't want to take away from the tragedy involved, here. But heard some pundit this morning say two of the most monumentally stupid things I've heard recently. 

First he said that he suspects these may be attacks on the Christian religion. 

Really?  Multiple coordinated bombs at Christian churches on Easter Sunday might be targeting Christianity?  

And then he later stated that these were probably suicide bomber attacks, which just a small amount of security can successfully deter. 

Really?  Joe here intends to blow himself to bits to carry out his attack, but if there's a cop on the corner he won't?  

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Depends on who's responsible, surprised we don't know by now.

Same here. Multiple explosions in multiple cities simultaneously sure says an organized terrorist event, to me. And those groups aren't shy about "claiming credit". (After all, publicity for their "cause", is their motive.)

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Same here. Multiple explosions in multiple cities simultaneously sure says an organized terrorist event, to me. And those groups aren't shy about "claiming credit". (After all, publicity for their "cause", is their motive.)

Feels like an attack on Christianity itself, retaliation for New Zeland?  

What's to say?

More senseless death and more terrorism over religion.

It's not a matter of desensitization..  it's more a matter of what is left to say? 

I'd say after a couple thousand years of it we are no closer to ever solving the problem and we never will be.

i mean, until we manage to let go of the one main thread through all of it.

and that ain't happening.

So what is there to say?
Gosh it's terrible. It's also normal.

And that's the terrible part.

Yay mythology.

~Bang

6 hours ago, Springfield said:

It’s kinda sad that if 200 people died in coordinated attacks and we get 9 responses in 24 hours but if 20 people get shot up then we get 9 pages in 24 hours.

What kind of response do you expect to get with this post? Just curious 

8 hours ago, Springfield said:

It’s kinda sad that if 200 people died in coordinated attacks and we get 9 responses in 24 hours but if 20 people get shot up then we get 9 pages in 24 hours.

To be fair, Sri Lanka had a 26 year Civil War (83-09) that left nearly 100,000 dead and I don’t remember discussing it anywhere at anytime in my life.

8 hours ago, Springfield said:

I'm with @Llevron, not sure what the goal was.  And not that anyone here gives a **** about me, but I'm just tired.  Certainly tired of stuff like this happening, but also way tired of participating in every associated tragedy thread that pops up after an event like this.  It's always the same thing, everyone sending up thoughts and prayers, what a senseless tragedy this, etc, followed by bickering and snarky comments about world views.

Speaking strictly for myself, I've only got so much time in the day and I can't afford to be a part of it anymore.  And even though this happened on a holiday weekend, I wasn't going to let myself come in and write some meaningless post that doesn't accomplish anything.  

I'm not saying that the Tailgate is a bad place and the people here are bad, far from it.  I've learned a lot from a lot of people here and there's usually a lot of good viewpoints.  This is actually a really great place but I just can't afford to be a part of it as much anymore, especially in the social/political/tragedy/Trump stuff.  If you're not paying attention it's easy to kill an hour or so just by reading everything and getting caught up in it.  I can't and won't anymore. 

Plus I know the regulars here are goodhearted people.  Just because this thread hasn't had a ton of posts doesn't mean I don't think the regulars here would outright ignore this or not have some sympathy for the victims.  

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I know the regulars here are goodhearted people.  Just because this thread hasn't had a ton of posts doesn't mean I don't think the regulars here would outright ignore this or not have some sympathy for the victims.  

I 100% agree with this. With this particular tragedy I think there’s a few factors contributing to the “non-response.”

1) Tragedy fatigue... we’ve become overwhelmed by news like this to point where we can’t afford (both emotionally and time wise) to respond every single time it happens. It’s like sympathy and empathy triage, certain events take higher priorities.

2) It took place in Sri Lanka, it’s hard for us to relate to that. We can imagine ourselves or a loved one as a victim in a college classroom or a movie theater in America, which has a larger effect on us, but it’s hard for us to think of ourselves on the other side of the world in a church on Easter.

3) I think big tragedies like this are actually harder to relate to because the individuals get lost in the numbers. When you see 10 to 15 people’s pictures who were victims of a mass shootings, it has a greater impact on you than when you see “290 dead in bombings.”

That’s just the way we’re wired as humans. It doesn’t mean any of us are bad people for not expressing sympathy for the victims.

7 hours ago, Springfield said:

Fair enough.

Just kinda feels like we are giving it the “thoughts and prayers” treatment.

The one thing @Bang has right about this is the sheer exhaustion of the matter.  The real answer is what @TryTheBeal! said, no one cares about Sri Lanka.

They fired one of the head guys of security for the country because they got warnings weeks prior and did nothing with it.  It would be nonstop if it happened here, but that's a big reason why it most likely won't.

Reading it was a small group that got outside help.  This was retaliation, the f**ckers just slipped through the cracks.

Archived