Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

42 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

but pitchers are just getting too good

I imagine it's hard tracking a ball in the high 80s. Now? Forget it.

At the Louisville Slugger museum they have that thing where you can stand where a batter would be and you can see I think it's a 90mph pitch come at you. It's a blur. I don't know how batters or umps can track it. The catchers. Jeez, they are not given enough credit.

Reminder that the Field of Dreams game is today. Being played at Rickwood Field, where Willie Mays played his first pro games...at age 16. He only played Sundays at that time because he was still in high school. His Dad, also played for the team back then. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

On 6/19/2024 at 11:55 AM, The Evil Genius said:

Part of it is also the way catchers are now being taught. They no longer start their gloves in the zone and have been dragging their gloves in to the zone and framing non strikes and getting calls for a few seasons now. Not sure anything can be done about that but I'd be in favor of a challenge system at MLB if it didn't add extra time. 

Edit..also a 2.5 mph increase in the average of 4seem fastballs in the past 15 years doesn't help. 

I think those are good excuses for why humans struggle at it, but if we have the technology to take subjectivity out of it and make it fair and consistent for the pitcher and hitter, then it should be implemented as soon as possible.  "Tricking the refs" is one of the most infuriating parts of sports (looking at you, soccer floppers). 

In case anyone tunes in to the game today, the Giants are wearing the replica San Francisco Seals jersey of the negro  league team that played there for 1 season (12 years before the Giants came over from Brooklyn in 1958). And yes that's a Bear on the jersey, despite being the Seals, the team inherited the jerseys from the disbanded San Francisco Cubs team. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

Watched the JP Crawford meltdown.  Speaking as someone who was an umpire for ~10 years, the expectation of a tiny strike zone baffles me.  When he stood up to argue, the dot where the pitch crossed was at his belt.  I'm not sure how that was considered missing the box.

I'm trying to imagine a Tony Gwynn or Pete Rose only having to focus on a tiny square...would they ever strike out?

11 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

22 consecutive series wins (or splits) against the AL East isn’t pesky either. 

Imagine finishing in 4th place last year, having a losing record in the division this year and referring to the better team as “pesky.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Imagine finishing in 4th place last year, having a losing record in the division this year and referring to the better team as “pesky.”

Look. They won a lot of World Series when there was no playoffs, or black players allowed to play, or draft, or revenue sharing, or collective bargaining, or television, or standard indoor plumbing.

They’re kind of a big deal. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

10–12 against the AL East this year, 17-2 vs the AL Central. 

22-30 against the AL East last year, 18-14 vs the AL Central. 

Congrats on beating the piss out of the Twins and Royals for two straight years. 

At some point I'm gonna stop giving you flowers for what you did last year so atop thinking that matters anymore.

Half our AL East division loses this year are to one team, you bammas.  Also 12-6 versus the West this year, swept the Twins not once but twice.  This year the Royals and Twins are currently wildcard teams, not like how Nationals used to rack up wins going into October every other year while their whole division was trash.

I'm not feeling the extra innings games we losing to good teams, like yall, Mariners, and Dodgers this year...series that don't need much to tip a certain way...I get the talk of trading for another starter or Josh Bell to replace Rizzo at 1B, but that's jus sexy talk.  

The math says we jus got our ace back and we losing or tying series against good teams that have at least one game we can't finish when it goes extra, even at home.  We fn melted the other day, adding more stars won't address that, it's jus sportscaster approved.

I'm embarrassed to say I've never been to Camden Yards...look at thr mid-july series now (next time we play in New York is a 'ber month).

At some point yall are nipping at our heels instead of leading the pack, call it what you want *sprays your face again

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Stop ankle bitting then, fn Chihuahuas....

portrait-of-a-cute-purebred-chihuahua-chihuahua-in-an-orange-sweater-and-in-a-black-spiked-collar-2F8JJPJ.jpg

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

At some point I'm gonna stop giving you flowers for what you did last year so atop thinking that matters anymore.

Half our AL East division loses this year are to one team, you bammas.  Also 12-6 versus the West this year, swept the Twins not once but twice.  This year the Royals and Twins are currently wildcard teams, not like how Nationals used to rack up wins going into October every other year while their whole division was trash.

I'm not feeling the extra innings games we losing to good teams, like yall, Mariners, and Dodgers this year...series that don't need much to tip a certain way...I get the talk of trading for another starter or Josh Bell to replace Rizzo at 1B, but that's jus sexy talk.  

The math says we jus got our ace back and we losing or tying series against good teams that have at least one game we can't finish when it goes extra, even at home.  We fn melted the other day, adding more stars won't address that, it's jus sportscaster approved.

I'm embarrassed to say I've never been to Camden Yards...look at thr mid-july series now (next time we play in New York is a 'ber month).

At some point yall are nipping at our heels instead of leading the pack, call it what you want *sprays your face again

Stop ankle bitting then, fn Chihuahuas....

portrait-of-a-cute-purebred-chihuahua-chihuahua-in-an-orange-sweater-and-in-a-black-spiked-collar-2F8JJPJ.jpg

Swept the Twins!  

giphy.gif

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Pono said:

Dude literally just switched from being a Nats fan to Yankees this season 😂 

And?

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

There is nothing worse than a fair weather fan attempting to talk ****.

You keep saying that because you don't know what else to say.

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

What else would I say? It’s the worst kind of “fan”

I'd say gatekeepers to what a real fan is are worse. 

We've had this discussion for years in the stadium. That's not limited to football.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1