Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Israel is for Jewish people only" - Netanyahu

Bozo the kKklown

21 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Certainly, the partition, which was driven by the UN, which was driven by the US and European powers, committed land that belonged to non-Jews to the formation of the Jewish state.

Prior to that, where exactly were "Jewish lands" so to speak?  This isn't a loaded question, this discussion about "arab lands" just made me curious. 

12 hours ago, Destino said:

Prior to that, where exactly were "Jewish lands" so to speak?  This isn't a loaded question, this discussion about "arab lands" just made me curious. 

Jews did and do own land all over the world.  At the time of the partition, all of the land in that area was part of what was called the Palestinian Mandate and ruled by the British whether it was owned specifically by Jews or Arabs.  Prior to that it had been part of the Ottoman Empire.  In the late 1800's, Jews started leaving European countries to move to the area when it was still part of the Ottoman Empire.

• 1 month later...

Bibi failed to form a government after the recent elections and they are now headed for another general election in September: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/elections/.premium-netanyahu-just-suffered-one-of-the-biggest-losses-of-his-political-career-1.7305540

With his legal trial coming up, this is probably really bad news for him since he can't shield himself through the immunity laws that were proposed. He's going to be even more unhinged in the next few months.

On 4/12/2019 at 8:51 AM, PeterMP said:

Jews did and do own land all over the world.  At the time of the partition, all of the land in that area was part of what was called the Palestinian Mandate and ruled by the British whether it was owned specifically by Jews or Arabs.  Prior to that it had been part of the Ottoman Empire.  In the late 1800's, Jews started leaving European countries to move to the area when it was still part of the Ottoman Empire.

I didn't mean land currently and legally owned by jewish persons.  I meant ancestral land.  When people say "arab lands" they don't care if the British controlled it at the time, they're talking about who they imagine rightfully belongs there, in the same way that the US was built on native american land.  So my question is where are Jewish ancestral lands.  Where do people that give credence to these notions imagine the Jewish people rightfully belong? 

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Bibi failed to form a government after the recent elections and they are now headed for another general election in September: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/elections/.premium-netanyahu-just-suffered-one-of-the-biggest-losses-of-his-political-career-1.7305540

With his legal trial coming up, this is probably really bad news for him since he can't shield himself through the immunity laws that were proposed. He's going to be even more unhinged in the next few months.

He had two groups that really show up and vote. The Hassidic Hardliners who wouldn't consider somebody like me as a "real Jew", and the Russian Immigrants in Israel group. Without them turning out like they have, it wouldn't be close. 

10 hours ago, Destino said:

I didn't mean land currently and legally owned by jewish persons.  I meant ancestral land.  When people say "arab lands" they don't care if the British controlled it at the time, they're talking about who they imagine rightfully belongs there, in the same way that the US was built on native american land.  So my question is where are Jewish ancestral lands.  Where do people that give credence to these notions imagine the Jewish people rightfully belong? 

Well, since you quoted me to start the discussion and I can only speak for myself, and while I didn't even say Arab lands (I said non-Jewish), I did not mean ancestral lands.  I meant land owned at the time by non-Jewish (and yes, mostly Arab) people.

Further, I'd say I generally don't believe that Jews (or really any other group) "rightfully belong" anywhere.  I'm for the self-determination of people as individuals (generally).

Where do you believe that Jews "rightfully belong"?

I would say much of the US was built on Native American lands.  Native Americans were actively moved to allow the US to expand into that space.  It was an active process.  The creation of FL required the movement of the Cherokee and other Native Americans.  At the time, it was their land (obviously, the ideas of land ownership were different to them and at that time, but realistically the land was in their possession).  I would suspect, it is likely that those tribes had probably displaced earlier groups that could claim FL as ancestral lands.  I'm not talking about those comparable people with respect to Israel.

(Wikipedia does suggest that one theory is that the Cherokee's were relatively recent newcomers to the US south east.  In the context of the conversation, I'm not saying anything about the groups that Cherokee's displaced or where they rightfully belong.)

Edited by PeterMP

On 4/10/2019 at 8:11 PM, PeterMP said:

Certainly, the partition, which was driven by the UN, which was driven by the US and European powers, committed land that belonged to non-Jews to the formation of the Jewish state.

But was there a stipulation that they be forcibly expelled from the land?

11 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

But was there a stipulation that they be forcibly expelled from the land?

No, the UN didn't announce they were going to forcibly expel them.

But let's imagine that you learned that the rest of the world was planning on using the land you are currently living on to be part of a state for some ethnic group that weren't directly displaced because you or your ancestors and didn't want to leave where they had been living because of anything you had done.

(The last forced Jewish diaspora from the Middle East was carried out by the Romans, and the Jews were not trying to return to the Middle East because of the actions of the Palestinians or a Palestinian government.)

But in creating that state you weren't going to forcibly be expelled.  You could stay where you were and live there as part of this state that was openly being called an ethnic state.

How happy would you be about the situation?

Edited by PeterMP

On 3/12/2019 at 1:17 PM, BenningRoadSkin said:

Or the Jim Crow south.

Or Apartheid in South Africa.

In Israel, it's sorta the same thing...

Black lives do not matter in Israel

Comments made by Israel's top political and religious leaders earlier this month are a dismal reminder of how little black lives matter in the country, and how African refugees remain in mortal danger, whether or not the government's plan to deport them is temporarily suspended.

On March 17, one of Israel's two chief rabbis, Yitzhak Yosef, called black people "monkeys" and the Hebrew equivalent of the N-word in his weekly sermon. It is highly unlikely that Yosef will face any real repercussions for his racist comments. He was not demoted after saying in a similar sermon exactly two years ago that all non-Jews - Africans, Arabs, or otherwise - could only live in Israel if they agree to serve the country's Jewish population....

To be fair, racist comments from state-paid rabbis aren't exactly a rarity in Israel. Israel's other chief rabbi, Yisrael Lau, used the N-word to describe Black athletes on his very first day in office in July 2013. But another anti-African comment made last week, by Israel's most powerful politician, was almost certainly timed to coincide with the government's efforts to ethnically cleanse the country of the refugees. On March 19, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a public speech that the arrival of non-Jewish African refugees was "much worse" for Israel than "severe attacks by Sinai terrorists"...

Well, they're not really anti-black, they're pro-Jewish. See, if the migrants were Jewish, they'd be welcomed with open arms, without respect to race. Oh, wait...

Why Ethiopian Jews Face Increasing Discrimination and Police Brutality in Israel

...Ethiopian Jews arrived in a country already divided along ethnic and social lines. Israel was founded on the Zionist dream of giving the world’s Jews a homeland. But the project was mainly led by European Jews, and every prime minister since the country’s establishment in 1948 has been Ashkenazi, or a Jew whose family came from central or Eastern Europe. Many Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, who came from Spain and the Middle East, respectively, have long said they face discrimination. Ethiopians often say they are treated even worse.

In the early 1990s, for example, it was revealed that Israel’s national blood bank was routinely destroying blood donated by Ethiopian immigrants for fear it was contaminated by HIV. (Israeli officials claimed the incidence of HIV infection was about 50 times higher among Ethiopian immigrants than in the wider Israeli population, a charge Ethiopian Israelis denied.) A 2012 Israeli TV program accused the country’s health ministry of administering a long-acting contraceptive to women awaiting emigration to the country and after they had arrived. The health ministry later confirmed the practice but denied allegations by rights groups that the policy was aimed at controlling the growth of the Ethiopian population in Israel.

THE FIGHT AGAINST RACISM IN ISRAEL

Blacks from anywhere, be it Africa or America, are viewed with suspicion and given special treatment by the Interior Ministry.

...Those of us like myself who have had to deal with the Interior Ministry regarding converts have been keenly aware that blacks from anywhere, be it Africa or America, are viewed with suspicion and given special treatment by the ministry. We have seen it regarding communities of converts that are treated with severity that white converts never encounter. I have seen it time and time again with black converts from America as well. Even recently I became aware of a couple applying for aliya in the United States, where the black convert was asked to supply not only proof of conversion – which was performed by recognized Orthodox authorities – but also to provide proof of constant activity in the Jewish community. It took special efforts on the part of several prominent rabbis before this was deemed sufficient.

So yeah, miss me with the holocaust stuff. For people, many of whom experienced it themselves or are descended from those who did to espouse the same type of garbage the Nazis did makes them worse than the KKK and even the Nazis themselves. I have no problems with Jewish people and obviously not every Israeli is racist, but as a whole, Israel is a disgusting apartheid state that deserves even more to be the international pariah that they are. The knee-jerk, blank check support from the bible thumpers for every Israeli policy, no matter how immoral is yet another reason we need to get special interests and their money out of our politics...and add more atheists to the population. 😀

Edited by Destino
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

My apologies for the extra spacing in the above post. I'm not sure what happened with the formatting and unfortunately, the edit option isn't working for me....only on that post. That's odd.

Edited by The Sisko

• 1 month later...

Saw a quote today from a R congressman, defensing "SZend her back" by pointing out that the Congresswoman has said things that are offensive to America and Israel.  

I mean, literally, a US congressman is defending calls to deport a US citizen, and citing the interests of a foreign country as his justification.  

• 4 weeks later...

Not really mad at Israel for doing this. 

It's their country. They're not required to recognize freedom of speech. 

And I've got to say, I don't think the Congress, let alone individual congressmen, should be engaging in foreign policy like that. 

Lots of things about this that I AM mad about. But not so much this one. 

I'm not surprised Israel would ban those advocating for BDS or a one state solution.  Why would Israel want to welcome foreign world leaders that are actively agitating for material harm against Israel and the end of Israel as a Jewish state (which is what a one state solution means).  Israel was founded on the idea of it being a Jewish state. 

Translation of the Israeli Declaration of Independence by the Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

ACCORDINGLY WE, MEMBERS OF THE PEOPLE'S COUNCIL, REPRESENTATIVES OF THE JEWISH COMMUNITY OF ERETZ-ISRAEL AND OF THE ZIONIST MOVEMENT, ARE HERE ASSEMBLED ON THE DAY OF THE TERMINATION OF THE BRITISH MANDATE OVER ERETZ-ISRAEL AND, BY VIRTUE OF OUR NATURAL AND HISTORIC RIGHT AND ON THE BASIS OF THE RESOLUTION OF THE UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY, HEREBY DECLARE THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A JEWISH STATE IN ERETZ-ISRAEL, TO BE KNOWN AS THE STATE OF ISRAEL.

I'm also not surprised to see Trump involved in the clumsy handling of a delicate diplomatic situation.  Trump is a bag of hammers that somehow got himself elected to a job intended for a skilled diplomatic statesman.