Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Israel is for Jewish people only" - Netanyahu

Bozo the kKklown

(In response to my short summary of Larry's Mideast peace proposal, which included Israel giving up all settlements in Palestine, and getting Jerusalem.)  

2 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

Do you think the Israelis would agree to the flip side of that? Never. Jerusalem has too much religious significance to them. That’s true of Muslims as well. That idea makes sense to me as an atheist, but to a believer, no way, no how.

Couple reasons why I include Israel getting Jerusalem.  

1)  They've already got it.  And they've had it for 50 years.  

2)  The idea of a city existing completely within another country?  Hasn't worked out well in the past.  

3)  They need to get something (even if it's nowhere near what they want) or there's no deal.  (And in my opinion, there's no way they'd agree to it, anyway.  Only way it happens is if the US imposes it.  With military force.)  

I don’t think you understand how Muslims and Israeli Jews think. They’re thinking in terms of the next 2, 3 or 500 years. We think in terms of the next decade or so. Hell, many Muslims still talk about the crusades as if it were yesterday while most ‘Muricuns are like “The wut? Cru-SADES? Wut’s that? Did Jeebus say anything ‘bout that?” By way of explanation, I describe it by saying “It’s the Muslim version of the wawuh of nawthun aggression.”😀

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From the WH talking points:  

This Vision ensures the future State of Palestine is viable, connected, and reasonably comparable in size to the territory of the West Bank and Gaza pre-1967.

OK, let's reasonably compare them.  Here's a WaPo article that opens up with a convenient map contrasting the 1967 borders with the then-current borders.  (And the WH plan seema to simply cement the current borders.)  

(I confess, I haven't read the article.  I went looking for the map.  And I can't embed the map.  (WaPo gave it a ".php" extension), so I have to link to the article.)  

So it looks like "a reasonable comparison of size" would be "about half of, and intentionally gerrymandered to be as useless as possible".  

Arab Leaders’ Support for Mideast Peace Plan Marks a Regional Shift

Tentative backing of U.S. proposal reflects changing priorities, frustration with the Palestinians and more willingness to work with Israel

https://www.wsj.com/articles/arab-leaders-support-for-mideast-peace-plan-marks-a-regional-shift-11580325868

Trump's Middle East peace plan: key points at a glance.

President’s vision emphasises Israel’s security rather than Palestinian self-determination

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/28/trumps-middle-east-peace-plan-key-points-at-a-glance

Edited by nonniey

8 hours ago, visionary said:

Surprising to see Britain in favor, since it goes against all policy. (not to mention being unworkable and outrageously offensive to Palestine and their diaspora)

they are in favor of Brexit, I guess it stands to reason that they don’t want anyone else to commingle.

On 1/29/2020 at 12:05 AM, Renegade7 said:

Just annex the territories and give Palestinians all Isreali citizenship.  At this rate they gonna take the rest of land anyway, get it over with.

The problem boils down to demography versus geography. The Israelis don't want to formally annex the territory because the higher birth rate among Palestinians would make the Jews a minority in their own country - similar to how the Christian/Sunni power sharing in Lebanon was upended by the burgeoning Shiite population. 

Occupation is the only way to control the area without extending voting and other rights to the Arab population.