Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Passion of The Jussie (FKA The Smollett Fiasco)

Spaceman Spiff

16 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

You seem like a smart person... Why are you using this stat? This actually hurts your opinion way more than it helps.

Not quite, but this is going to get off topic. 

The thing that should be taken away is, despite the much larger number, how many can you name? The reason is what I said above--we eat up rage bait. 

30 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

You seem like a smart person... Why are you using this stat? This actually hurts your opinion way more than it helps.

My apologies for this one additional response, when I said I wouldn't. I take your point on board, and will briefly elaborate. I cited the death by police shooting statistic to illustrate the nominal scale of this problem, comparing that ratio to white deaths seems to have introduce an unfortunate conflation of  relative ethnic proportions. However, having that 2:1 ratio is actually informative when we look at the relative and absolute problems of incarceration. In 2010, the incarceration rates for blacks and whites are about 2300 and 450 per 100,000 respectively. This has truly profound impacts on our society in terms of scale, and members of the black community suffers at a much greater rate vs members of the white community, 2:1 versus 5:1. 

What drives these differences in incarceration, IMHO, is multi-faceted which racial bias is one element. But to best address these problems, we need to check our emotions, and need to make objective evaluations of the correlations between these factors and incarceration - and hopefully an understanding of causation. Then look for the most effective interventions and policies which respect constitutional rights, even if the most effective policies are not the ones confirming to a priori political views. Respect, access to dialog, and restraint from change through violence (absence an existential threat) is the way forward and are the norms I desperately hope our society pursues.

Others may have the last word if they wish.

• Thanks 1

Just want to point out that this case didn’t register as “rage bait” anywhere on this forum.  No one even mentioned it because it seemed so insignificant and contrived.  And it wasn’t until the whole thing began to fall apart that one of our more right-wing guys started a thread about it...where in our other right-wing guys came in to warn us about a “rush to judgement” and how Jussie Smollet is a threat to our society.

Let me know if Jussie starts mailing pipe-bombs to Dems and judges, tho.

19 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Just want to point out that this case didn’t register as “rage bait” anywhere on this forum.  No one even mentioned it because it seemed so insignificant and contrived.  And it wasn’t until the whole thing began to fall apart that one of our more right-wing guys started a thread about it...where in our other right-wing guys came in to warn us about a “rush to judgement” and how Jussie Smollet is a threat to our society.

So basically, people here at ES didn't start talking about it until more facts came in, possibly because it seemed too fishy from the get-go and no one wanted to present the possibility of a hate crime being a hoax until there was more info. I mean, that's definitely a possibility...one that speaks rather positively of the political temperament here surrounding this one particular event, anyway.

I'm not sure what the right-wing rhetoric has to do with anything, unless you're saying that their silence in the beginning means they didn't seem to have a problem with a racist and homophobic attack taking place..which I'm hoping that's not what you're saying since apparently the left-wing also remained silent, which by that logic means both sides of the political spectrum had zero problem with a racist and homophobic attack.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

So basically, people here at ES didn't start talking about it until more facts came in, possibly because it seemed too fishy from the get-go and no one wanted to present the possibility of a hate crime being a hoax until there was more info. I mean, that's definitely a possibility...one that speaks rather positively of the political temperament here surrounding this one particular event, anyway.

This “story” is the very definition of a nothingburger.  I mean, there really is nothing there except a D-list actor playing himself thoroughly.  This makes the Kathy Griffin thing look like Pearl Harbor.

As I said originally...NEXT.

29 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Thanks, TTB!  For the record I only posted it here when I went to CNN.com and it was splashed on the front page and figured it was good tailgate fodder as I said in the OP (where I also said that I hoped this wasn't true). 

Didn't know I was a right-wing guy.  Guess I need to step up my Trump-bashing game so I can fit in with everyone else.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This “story” is the very definition of a nothingburger.  I mean, there really is nothing there except a D-list actor playing himself thoroughly.  This makes the Kathy Griffin thing look like Pearl Harbor.

It's kinda sad that you (and possibly others) feel there is nothing to this story other than a Nelson-from-the-Simpsons "Ha Ha" fingerpoint moment for Smollett.

There is so much more going on--and at stake--than that. I mean, if this is indeed proven to have been a hoax, the whole "willingness to possibly send two innocent people to jail" aspect is just one of dozens of repercussions from his actions. At what point is that something we should all be yawning at and brushing off as a "nothingburger"?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, nonniey said:

I think the motive to aid his career in music/ acting was just a side benefit of the actual primary motive, which was as you said to drive the wedge deeper in our culture - it was a hate crime imo. He wanted to reinforce the narrative that is out there that all Trump supporters are racist, homophobic bigots that are willing to physically attack their opponents.  There is too much hate out there and in here (Tailgate).

Disagree.  This was done purely for his own gain.  Rumor was he was being written off of Empire, and he's trying to establish himself as a legitimate musician, and create a buzz around his first album.    What better way than to make yourself the face of the victims of violent crimes as a black and gay man?  He had a show shortly after the "attack" where he called himself the gay 2pac.  

He sold out 3 demographics of people (blacks, LGBTQ, victims of violent crimes) solely for the perceived opportunity of career advancement.

I almost feel like he needs a mental evaluation, because this is not the behavior of a person playing with a full deck. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, megared said:

Disagree.  This was done purely for his own gain.  Rumor was he was being written off of Empire, and he's trying to establish himself as a legitimate musician, and create a buzz around his first album.    What better way than to make yourself the face of the victims of violent crimes as a black and gay man?  He had a show shortly after the "attack" where he called himself the gay 2pac.  

He sold out 3 demographics of people (blacks, LGBTQ, victims of violent crimes) solely for the perceived opportunity of career advancement.

I almost feel like he needs a mental evaluation, because this is not the behavior of a person playing with a full deck. 

There does seem to be some evidence of the possible hoax not being done for political reasons until after the fact. I think TMZ was the place that first put out that the attackers either wore MAGA hats or said "This is MAGA country" which caught the police off-guard because Smollett didn't tell them anything about the attackers saying that or wearing any MAGA hats. Smollett added that in later during a follow-up interview (which they held the follow-up interview precisely because the whole MAGA angle was news to them).

4 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

he wasted taxpayer money looking for a hoax.

He also used oppressed peoples pain for his own gain.

This is a big deal.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

This is a big deal.

I think the bigger deal may be the whole letter fiasco that involved the FBI.  If they go after him for any of a number of charges they can bring up, he's not only looking at just losing his career, but also his freedom for a significant amount of time.  I don't think he'll get very much time for the false police report from Chicago PD, but the FBI treats fake substances the same as what they're imitating.  

Best route for him at this point, is to feign mental illness, or claim he's bi-polar.  

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

he wasted taxpayer money looking for a hoax.

He also used oppressed peoples pain for his own gain.

This is a big deal.

To me, the worst part of this is the fact that it'll cast doubt the next time there actually is a violent racist incident. So, whether he was using this for his own gain or using it to shed light on what he perceives as an issue, he actually just made the mountain steeper for the next legitimate victim. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

To me, the worst part of this is the fact that it'll cast doubt the next time there actually is a violent racist incident. So, whether he was using this for his own gain or using it to shed light on what he perceives as an issue, he actually just made the mountain steeper for the next legitimate victim. 

Will it really though?  Are you positing that Trump supporters nationally were about to “come to Jesus” on this issue, so to speak.  The synagogue shooting and Charlottesville and other extreme crimes almost had them at the table for substantive discussions on the problem of right-wing violence...but now this Jussie guy has set the whole thing back?

Cause I don’t really think that’s the case.

The far-right are gonna pretend it never happened, forever.

The extra woke among us are gonna jump extra hard, always.

And the rest of us in the middle are gonna call for an investigation and justice where needed.

Or, I could be wrong.  This could end up being some huge deal...but I doubt it.

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

Will it really though?  Are you positing that Trump supporters nationally were about to “come to Jesus” on this issue, so to speak.  The synagogue shooting and Charlottesville and other extreme crimes almost had them at the table for substantive discussions on the problem of right-wing violence...but now this Jussie guy has set the whole thing back?

Cause I don’t really think that’s the case.

The far-right are gonna pretend it never happened, forever.

The extra woke among us are gonna jump extra hard, always.

And the rest of us in the middle are gonna call for an investigation and justice where needed.

Or, I could be wrong.  This could end up being some huge deal...but I doubt it.

Maybe I'm not the only one, but I'm not bucketing people into "Trump Supporters" and "Non-Trump Supporters" in here...here's all I mean: 

When something like this turns out to be a hoax, the public will naturally view the next similar incident with more skepticism. So, if the next incident is legit (which it most likely will be), I feel bad for the victim who will have to have the court of public opinion calling him or her a liar, looking for holes in his or her story, etc. 

On 2/18/2019 at 1:52 PM, RansomthePasserby said:

The guy is willing to drive the wedge deeper in our culture, delegitimize (and at best insult) actual victims of hate crime, and send two innocent (for all he knew) people to prison... for his mediocre career in music??

Selfish.

It's a shame a celebrity has that much power in our society to do all that, but they do.  It's quite literally mind control and changing the way people think.  An actor did that.  Crazy.  The end result is opposite of what he intended, but he still manipulated minds with this scheme.

1 hour ago, megared said:

Best route for him at this point, is to feign mental illness, or claim he's bi-polar.  

That's what I was thinking when this started.  That's his only play right now.  

Edited by justice98

25 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Maybe I'm not the only one, but I'm not bucketing people into "Trump Supporters" and "Non-Trump Supporters" in here...here's all I mean: 

C'mon, man.  That's all there is these days.  That's practically how everyone views everyone else, Trump Supporter or not.  

Get it together.  

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It's still immaterial to my point. Even non-Trump folks are going to be less likely to believe the next report. 

I was (half) kidding.

non-Trump supporters are going to have to fight this as a single, isolated incident and that it doesn't represent every crime like this.  Which is true.  And it's sad that they'll have to do that.

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

I was (half) kidding.

non-Trump supporters are going to have to fight this as a single, isolated incident and that it doesn't represent every crime like this.  Which is true.  And it's sad that they'll have to do that.

I thought so but didn't want to laugh if you were serious haha

In fairness, I'm sure there are plenty of Trump supporters who don't also support what this guy alleged happened. There are non-Trump supporters, Trump supporters who aren't racist, and Trump supporters who are racist. I would say the first two categories need to fight the fight you described above. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I thought so but didn't want to laugh if you were serious haha

In fairness, I'm sure there are plenty of Trump supporters who don't also support what this guy alleged happened. There are non-Trump supporters, Trump supporters who aren't racist, and Trump supporters who are racist. I would say the first two categories need to fight the fight you described above. 

Issue is the narrative that all Trump supporters are racist.  Smollet was just trying to reinforce this. Unfortunately many buy into that narrative including quite a few who post here. So you may get a few who push back on what you are proposing here.

I already suspected that if this is a hoax, then the threatening letter addressed to Jussie and sent to the tv studio was a hoax as well, and that he was behind it in one way or another. I knew that would involve the FBI since it involved the postal service.

What I had not thought about was the crushed-up aspirin in the letter that was meant to convey anthrax powder being sent to him. That goes way beyond mail fraud. read that the FBI treats anything meant to resemble anthrax powder the same as if it was anthrax powder...meaning, this could get even uglier for Smollett.

And ironically, one of his tweets on Jan 27th was:

"Frauds are everywhere y’all. Protect the mind, heart and spirit of you and your people at all costs. Just remember... Salt, cocaine and anthrax can all appear to be sugar..."

Apparently, aspirin can as well lol...there is so much irony in that statement that I'm almost starting to believe that he just wanted to troll everyone lol...