Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone here collect vinyl?

Spaceman Spiff

When I was in high school, there was a really good record store around the corner which sadly no longer exists.  But if I had a few extra dollars I'd go in and look around.  I didn't have a record player at the time but I still bought records that I liked..All 3 Hendrix studio albums, Zeppelin I-IV, Dark Side of the Moon and some others.  I'm not sure why I did that, probably chalk it up to being young and irresponsible with money.  I just thought they were cool and I liked having them and in the late 90s they were pretty cheap.

Now I'm old and irresponsible with money.  About 4 years ago I was in New Orleans with a buddy for his bachelor party and we were walking around, day drinking and checking the city out.  We walked into a record store and I came out with an original pressing of Sgt. Pepper's that set me back about 50 bucks.  My friend didn't know anything about vinyl before that but that day turned him onto it.  He'd always been into having nice speakers for his home stereo system and movies, etc, so when he learned about vinyl it all clicked for him, I think.  I wouldn't quite call him an audiophile, but he's not far from it.  Since that trip to New Orleans then he's pieced together a really nice collection of records.

Not long after that trip I bought a record player with every intention of buying speakers and a receiver shortly thereafter.  And I never did.  Just never got around to it.  And my buddy who's gotten really into it has been bugging me for years "When are you getting speakers, when are you getting a receiver, when are you gonna hook that thing up?" So last year he bought himself a new receiver and gave me his.  And now he just got fancy new speakers, and gave me his old ones which are pretty damn nice from what I can tell.  

So last night I got home from watching the Super Bowl at around midnight and hooked it all up and...

images_maninchair.jpg?w=809

Well, not quite, but that's how it was in my head.  I'm in an apartment so I can't crank it too loud but still, it's ****ing awesome.  I've been kicking myself all morning for not getting my own stuff years ago and not having been listening to these albums all along.  But I got a free receiver and speakers for holding out, I can't really complain.

I'm certainly not an audiophile but these sound WAY different than streaming.  I wouldn't venture to say WAY better, but just different.  Richer, deeper quality.  I just played Master of Reality all morning and in certain respects it was like hearing it for the first time. 

I can't be the only one here who's got records, who else does?  What are your collections like?

My dad was really into vinyl and reel to reel. Really a lot of the good acts n artists from the 1940s-1970s. Spanned different genres n eras. Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, Elvis, Deadato, Jim Croce, Jimmy Buffett, ect. Dudes favorite decade was and still is the 1950s. Which he had a ton o vinyl records from. 

Unfortunately the water softner in my folks basement up in NoVa sprung a leak one summer. Ruined pretty much everything in their basement. I think my dad just threw most of it all away in the end. 

I had gotten him a usb record player ta transfer it all to digital media years before. Never had a chance to set it up. Still feel bad for the guy. Especially considering his mom back in the 1960s threw out his entire baseball card collection. Cards from the 40s n 50s.

Two choice collections imo gone the way of the trash heap. He was definitely and audiophile when I was kid. I still use a pair of pioneer speakers he bought in Japan 1968 when he was in the navy.

20190204_102009.jpg

I had 300+ records back in the day. Held on to them long after CDs became the thing because so many of them I thought were too obscure to make it to CD. After several moves I have thrown out or donated all but maybe a couple dozen. I kept several original Yardbirds LPs, including a mint condition Live with Jimmy Page.

I do. My CD collection is bigger than the vinyl collection. However, I have access to the hundreds of albums my folks have. They've slowly been transitioning to my place. Orignial pressings of Hendrix, Skynyrd (Street Survivors original cover), and loads of the usual 60s and 70s stuff. There's very little 80s stuff but do have the original Thriller pressing too. They were smart enough to keep it all over the years and mostly they're all in great shape. Brings back great memories from childhood.

I also buy a lot of new vinyl too. 

i used to.. sold most of them. They take up a lot of space and carry a lot of weight... the one i have left is a copy of Jimi Hendrix, the Cry of Love..  unfortunately it is the brown label and not the orange.

Now, i have very little by way of physical copies of music.

~Bang

I just started a record collection.

My hardest thing was to get my record player not to skip when people were walking around my hardwood floors next to the table it was on.  Got some carpet for under the table and some anti vibration pads and a bunch of pavers to weigh the table down.  No so much skipping any longer.  But, that’s one knock against records.

I have an Audio Technica player that I got for Christmas from my dad.  It’s hooked up to a Sonos Play 5 speaker.  I’ll add another Play 5 speaker later on and have stereo sound in my family room.  Plus, I can put that sound to any of my other Sonos speakers.

As far as albums.  I got Led Zeppelin 1 (their best album), Sgt Peppers, Abby Road, and an assortment of other used albums as well.

I like the sound.  It sounds “fuller” than streaming music, I guess.

I have tons of vinyl, my own and my late brother's collection. I moved it all to TX. My plan is to record the favorites to MP3 files that I don't already have.. What I do with the vinyl after that, who knows?

I have a Denon direct drive turntable that my brother outfitted with a high end cartridge. Had to get a pre-amp for my Yamaha home theater system.

14 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I have tons of vinyl, my own and my late brother's collection. I moved it all to TX. My plan is to record the favorites to MP3 files that I don't already have.. What I do with the vinyl after that, who knows?

There are shops all over the place that'll give you money for them. 

I've thought about it, but I live with my brother atm, and am waiting on a new job before I think about maybe getting a house where I can take advantage of it.

Between my uncle  (who was a hip hop/house DJ in NYC), my grandparents leftover stuff at their estate (they've passed away), and my dad, who was big into people like Springsteen, the Rolling Stones, etc, I'd have a pretty impressive starter collection, spanning decades of music.

I was looking at some Sade stuff on a strictly vinyl site 5-6 years ago though. Forgot the name of the site, but I'm sure it wasn't the only one. There's probably a ton of Vinyl places in the DC Area.

If by "collect vinyl" you mean I haven't sold most of the albums from my youth, then yes, I collect vinyl.

A few years ago I bought a turntable which I connect to a multi-media PC in the basement with decent speakers and subwoofer. As you can tell I'm far from an audiophile. Jumbo probably has a turntable that cost more than your car.

Honestly CDs or high bit rate streaming are better quality than vinyl, but the experience of holding an album bigger than your head and placing it on a turntable is special, along with the album artwork, compared to digital music in any format.

18 hours ago, Springfield said:

I have an Audio Technica player that I got for Christmas from my dad.  It’s hooked up to a Sonos Play 5 speaker.  I’ll add another Play 5 speaker later on and have stereo sound in my family room.  Plus, I can put that sound to any of my other Sonos speakers.

Nice.  That sounds like a cool set up.  I've got an Audio Technica turntable too and I really like it.  My bluetooth speaker is good but not great, and it sounds pretty good through that.  I usually end up playing it through my soundbar and that is a convincing imitation of a surround sound stereo set up.

My brother in law is an audiophile who has accumulated some pretty good speakers and a good receiver over the years.  Sometimes I wish I had a real stereo set up like that, but it wouldn't be worth the money for me.  And it's nice not having any wires or bulky devices in my living room.  And I couldn't play my music loud enough for that to be worthwhile without making my neighbors despise me.

10 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Honestly CDs or high bit rate steaming are better quality than vinyl, but the experience of holding an album bigger than your head and placing it on a turntable is special, along with the album artwork, compared to digital music in any format.

6 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Yes, the best thing about vinyl is album artwork. Man, we'd get so excited for album releases!

The other thing I like is that, working from home, there's a built in break from work every 20-22 minutes to turn it over :ols:

32 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Nice.  That sounds like a cool set up.  I've got an Audio Technica turntable too and I really like it.  My bluetooth speaker is good but not great, and it sounds pretty good through that.  I usually end up playing it through my soundbar and that is a convincing imitation of a surround sound stereo set up.

My brother in law is an audiophile who has accumulated some pretty good speakers and a good receiver over the years.  Sometimes I wish I had a real stereo set up like that, but it wouldn't be worth the money for me.  And it's nice not having any wires or bulky devices in my living room.  And I couldn't play my music loud enough for that to be worthwhile without making my neighbors despise me.

I do it mostly for convenience - the Sonos system.  The sound quality is pretty good, but I realize that it’s an analog signal converted to digital to work with Sonos.  I think that true audiophiles would prefer an all analog setup.

22 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm certainly not an audiophile but these sound WAY different than streaming.  I wouldn't venture to say WAY better, but just different.  Richer, deeper quality.  I just played Master of Reality all morning and in certain respects it was like hearing it for the first time. 

I can't be the only one here who's got records, who else does?  What are your collections like?

My Memaw & I  were yard sale shopping back in the early 80s...she bought me "Master of Reality" & Deep Purple's "Burn". Total was around 5  bucks. 

Had one of the best Saturdays of my life blasting em on Dad Dad's (grandpa) stereo that afternoon. 

They were Statler Brothers fans, so they were kind to indulge me. Also huge Redskins fans. 😁

23 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

My Memaw & I  were yard sale shopping back in the early 80s...she bought me "Master of Reality" & Deep Purple's "Burn". Total was around 5  bucks. 

Had one of the best Saturdays of my life blasting em on Dad Dad's (grandpa) stereo that afternoon. 

They were Statler Brothers fans, so they were kind to indulge me. Also huge Redskins fans. 😁

I wish I could find gems in the attics and garages of people I know, but it has been long enough that most people have gotten rid of their records and the ones they've kept are no longer playable.

I didn't know of the Statler Brothers until recently.  I knew the Pulp Fiction song but didn't know it was them.  The first time I really heard them was a few months ago when I was driving down the Eastern Shore and found a classic country station.  I heard Elizabeth and was blown away by their voices.  That tenor was something else.

Archived