Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

PFT's Mike Florio believes the Chiefs' signing of Tyrann Mathieu "likely means" the team will release Eric Berry.

Mathieu landed a contract that counts $14 million per year as the league's highest-paid safety. And with Berry making $13 million annually, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the Chiefs to pay a combined $27 million per year to its safety tandem. Berry has played three games over the last two seasons due to Achilles and heel issues. He doesn't need surgery this offseason, but Berry is looking like damaged goods and on the wrong side of 30. If the Chiefs were to release Berry, it will likely happen this week before over $7 million of his salary becomes guaranteed.

Mar 11, 2019, 11:31 PM

Has Berry dropped off that much?  If he's still in his prime, that would be a sick pairing.

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

He's older now and only played 3 games in last two seasons. Still, depending on the price i'd at least give him a tryout. Always been a huge fan of his.

3 is certainly limited.  I could see why they wouldn't want to pay 13 mill.  Shame, he was exciting.  Hopefully he does make it back to solid contributor.

8 minutes ago, DCtoSC_SKINS_LIFER said:

Wait a minute. You’re saying you don’t use lol to denote sarcasm in your posts???

I’ve been misreading all your posts for years. My bad. 

😂😂😂

lol

I usually use "lol" because I'm either actually laughing or just in a good mood...there's a reason I picked the avatar that I did 😎..sarcasm loses it's bite if you're laughing during it lol..

5 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

He's older now and only played 3 games in last two seasons. Still, depending on the price i'd at least give him a tryout. Always been a huge fan of his.

He's got a genetic bone condition in his heal like a bone spur preventing him from running without pain. He is a once was.

Just now, Califan007 said:

I usually use "lol" because I'm either actually laughing or just in a good mood...there's a reason I picked the avatar that I did 😎..sarcasm loses it's bite if you're laughing during it lol..

So if you don't use lol it is probably sarcasm...easy enough

26 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Yeah I saw that, apparently playing here isn't one of the desired spots, a few even ranked this place near the bottom. 

I think that's part of the sneaky upside to signing someone like Collins.  I am not one of those people who believe in signing people for a splash but I recognize and sympathize with the idea that running a team is also a business and star power sells.   Even a team like the NY Giants are relevant in national conversations with their bad records of late because they have players that fans want to see and get national hype. 

I'd guess Collins isn't a through the roof type of sell with the typical fan but he'd be pretty high in comparison to the typical signing here.  It's rare for them to sign a FA which brings any national buzz.   They ran about 30 minutes or so on ESPN on the Collins signing.  They aren't doing that for the Stacy McGees and Jeron Johnsons.  it adds some intrigue to the team.  And for fans like us, we'd live and die with anything they do.  But like any team, Dan's customer base is contingent on more than the live and die with football types. 

Like I said on another thread when Good Morning Football spoofs on the idea of covering teams that no one is interested in and the two teams that are featured are the Titans and the Redskins -- you know you got some marketing issues.   Heck, we didn't even get a Sunday Night Football game last year.

When you play the higher end of the FA market, you got to pay a price for it.   I've criticized Bruce plenty for his mostly junk FA signings.  I've also said his style has contributed this team to be one of the most yawn boring teams in the NFL -- not for us but for casual fans-national attention.   The fact that its not a desired location for players to go I think is partly because the team doesn't get much national attention or is on the radar screen. 

A team that isn't relevant and isn't talked about nationally, I'd doubt would be high on the typical FA's list.  So I think that reflects why the Redskins aren't ranked high.  Also some of that could be Bruce's rep for being cheap.  Signing Landon Collins goes against type on that front.

My liking of the signing has nothing to do with buzz-hype, etc.  But I don't blame them if that is a bonus that they like.   

4 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

53608546_2254658448129711_1930897359319859200_n.png?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=2b45d4164387fec1ba136622788d6a26&oe=5D0ED333

Anyone seen contract details yet?  

Yes.... See below

Essentially... we signed him to a 3/50M deal if we cut him after 3 years. If he returns to form as an All-Pro caliber safety, then we have him for an additional 3 years with very little guaranteed money and high base pay... This is good because it essentially allows us to do the following after 3 years:

Is Collins worth the money?

If No, Then you cut him and only have 6M in dead money

If yes, you can restructure some of his base pay as a signing bonus and lower his cap hit

Lots of flexibility.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/landon-collins-16757/

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Updated Needs:

Slot receiver - Though I think Quinn will win that when all is said and done

Edge Rusher - Should just re-sign Preston Smith if we can afford. He's the best one still on the market besides Justin Houston. Draft possible

Guard - Can't go the 3rd year + in a row with crap at LG... or draft Chris Lindstrom

FS - Sign Adrian Amos! or Re-sign Haha Clinton-Dix if it must be an Alabama player

ILB - to pair with Ferrari Foster. Maybe keep Mason Foster around or draft.

Outside WR - to pair with Doctson - Draft is heavy with WR talent.

missing anything?

Nope...that's pretty much an entire football roster minus the replacement we need to draft to groom at LT in the next couple years.

Oh yea, another little position called QB

Collins is a blue chip signing for a player in mid 20's. This is what a non-playoff team should do to bolster talent. His contract growth over the years will be mitigated by the void he fills. I get he's regarded at niche, but he's elite at that role and that's the value. Very excited by the signing. 

Would go WR, edge, Oline in draft in first 3 rounds

Archived