Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

If Rizzo can't fix this bullpen in the offseason, it won't matter whatever else we do.  I still think we can get past LA with Max and Stras on the mound for 4 & 5.  We can beat Cards or Atl with our pen because we can outplay them on other respects.  But it would be the upset of the century if a team with this turd of a pen beats either NY or Houston in a 7 game series.  Rizzo's terrible job with the pen has put a hard ceiling on this team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's ****ing terrible.  That was Orioles **** right there.

Orioles allow 2 runs on a sac fly.  Nats get two outs on their sac fly.  Different bull****, still stinks

Edit:  It wasn't a sac fly.  Play I was thinking of was that bloop hit in shallow left against the Red Sox which managed to score two runs without recording an out. 

Cool thing about baseball it is much easier to comeback from a series deficit, because the starter pitchers are different game-to-game.   Its not like hockey where the puck sometimes just doesn't bounce your way, or basketball where the lineup is the same every game, discounting injuries. 

Edited by DCSaints_fan

1 minute ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

All hands on deck tonight. Would love to see Scherzer finish the 6th or 7th. But we could see Doolittle for 2 innings against the top of their line up. And I'd expect to see Strasburg for 1-2 innings. 

I think Stras could do one inning similar to Scherzer in Game 2.

But I'd love to see Scherzer go 7+.

Yeah, here's the thing with Davey's "genius" turn of using his starters out ofthe BP every game: if he uses Max for 6, Stras for 1, Doo for 1, & Hudson for 1 in a win, who starts game 5? Sanchez and Corbin are burned, and now Max and Stras are burned. Are we going into a game 5 in LA with Voth as the starter? 

14 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Yeah, here's the thing with Davey's "genius" turn of using his starters out ofthe BP every game: if he uses Max for 6, Stras for 1, Doo for 1, & Hudson for 1 in a win, who starts game 5? Sanchez and Corbin are burned, and now Max and Stras are burned. Are we going into a game 5 in LA with Voth as the starter? 

Strasburg is not “burned” by pitching an inning tonight. He’d turn around and start game 5 just like he started game 1 two days after he threw 34 pitches in the WC game. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Strasburg is not “burned” by pitching an inning tonight. He’d turn around and start game 5 just like he started game 1 two days after he threw 34 pitches in the WC game. 

He started GAME 2 three days after pitching the WC game. Corbin pitched game 1.  Throwing an inning on your BP day is no big deal, but your BP day is NOT today if you are starting Wednesday.  Hence why Scherzer didn't start game 3...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

He started GAME 2 three days after pitching the WC game. Corbin pitched game 1.  Throwing an inning on your BP day is no big deal, but your BP day is NOT today if you are starting Wednesday.  Hence why Scherzer didn't start game 3...

My apologies, you are correct. Scherzer however was originally slated to start last night and definitely would have if it was an elimination game. So, not ideal, but throwing Strasburg tonight does not mean he doesn’t start game 5. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

Just now, skinsfan_1215 said:

My apologies, you are correct. Scherzer however was originally slated to start last night and definitely would have if it was an elimination game. 

My point is more that we have now thrown 4 starters in 3 days.  If Scherzer and Stras both throw today, neither will be available for game 5. If Stras throws 1 inning tonight, he might be available for a couple innings in game 5.  Corbin will be available for a couple innings. Sanchez might be available for an inning. Scherzer will not be available.  Sanchez should have thrown the 6th. Corbin should not have been used.  I understand the usage in an elimination game, but last night wasn't. Davey did what he does, and used what worked again. Now the SP is in a bind. Even if we find a way to win 2 straight, game 1 of the NLCS is gonna be either Sanchez or Voth, and game 2 is up in the air (likely Corbin if he doesn't throw in game 5).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Popeman38 said:

My point is more that we have now thrown 4 starters in 3 days.  If Scherzer and Stras both throw today, neither will be available for game 5. If Stras throws 1 inning tonight, he might be available for a couple innings in game 5.  Corbin will be available for a couple innings. Sanchez might be available for an inning. Scherzer will not be available.  Sanchez should have thrown the 6th. Corbin should not have been used.  I understand the usage in an elimination game, but last night wasn't. Davey did what he does, and used what worked again. Now the SP is in a bind. Even if we find a way to win 2 straight, game 1 of the NLCS is gonna be either Sanchez or Voth, and game 2 is up in the air (likely Corbin if he doesn't throw in game 5).

Stras can/will throw upwards of 80-90 pitches for game 5 even if he throws one inning tonight.  Corbin, if you want to bring him in, can probably give you 2-3 innings. You'll have Doolittle and Hudson. But if your concern is that we won't have a starting pitcher for game 5 by using Stras tonight, don't worry about that. The guys will give the team everything they've got. 

NLCS... we can worry about that if we get there. Probably Sanchez. But it's a 7 game series so Sanchez would have to pitch regardless. 

There's only so much load you can place on a pitcher in a short time frame.  I think Stras is off limits tonight.  He's coming off a short rest start and would have to turn around and throw another on short rest.  At some point, the bullpen has to step up to the plate or we go home.  Trotting out Stras on short rest after short rest is not fair to him.  If we have to resort to that to scratch by a five game series, we probably have no business dreaming about something bigger anyway.

to be fair, we hit fine last night. just left WAY too many people on base. which is a step up from game 1 where we couldnt even get on base. so at this pace, we may actually break 5 runs for once tonight

with max tonight, i think we'll know pretty early if the seasons over or not. you can tell quickly with max if he's on or not. if he throws his patented 1st inning HR, then we all can move over to the Caps thread