Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You still have to use them though.  That's what they're here for.  I understand they suck and are difficult to trust, but you still have to do it.  Being afraid to micromanage the pen and avoiding doing so is a loser's approach in the postseason.  How can you win that way?  Using starters for long relief appearances is not what they know and it kills you twice over when they struggle.  We didn't get burned by it before, but I don't think you should do it unless it's an elimination game or else your pen is worn out.

Why are we still arguing about this? Corbin is significantly better than anyone else in our bullpen, and he's not starting anymore this series. It'd be moronic not to use him there

You still have to use them though.  That's what they're here for.  I understand they suck and are difficult to trust, but you still have to do it.  Being afraid to micromanage the pen and avoiding doing so is a loser's approach in the postseason.  How can you win that way?  Using starters for long relief appearances is not what they know and it kills you twice over when they struggle.  We didn't get burned by it before, but I don't think you should do it unless it's an elimination game or else your pen is worn out.

I think if this were a 7 game series, he wouldn't be so quick to use starters out of the pen

in a short series, I think he wants to put his best arms available on the mound. win the game your playing and worry about the next later. I can't really disagree with his strategy given the historic terribleness of our bullpen

No you don't.  Not in a short series like this.  See Randy Johnson coming in to slam the door in '95, prime example.  IIRC, he did it a few years later in 2001.  Curt Schilling did it, too.

6 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Sanchez’s numbers third time through the lineup are not good.  Muncy had homered.   The Dodgers aren’t taking chances with Ryu eilther

He was dealing though.

They had a plan, I get that.  But great management means knowing when to deviate from the plan and knowing when to ride with a guy and when to pull him.  It's completely intuitive.  Davey just doesn't have it.