Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Im not a Davey guy but ****, the team stranded what? 6 runners in the first 3 inning?. The bullpen is still hot garbage aside from Doo. WTF is Davey supposed to do? There is no magical order that he can summon relievers and they’ll do well, they all ****ing suck. This is a Rizzo problem.  

He was between a rock and a hard place. But at some point, he has to give other guys a chance. Maybe Blazek shows? He has the stuff.

Grace is hot garbage. He needs to  e DFA'd.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

He was between a rock and a hard place. But at some point, he has to give other guys a chance. Maybe Blazek shows? He has the stuff.

Grace is hot garbage. He needs to  e DFA'd.

This theory hinges entirely on a bigass maybe. Maybe (probably) Blazek gets rocked like the rest of them. Point is Davey should have more than one (1) reliable option. 

**** Grace, his role should be “pitches when they have an 11 run lead in the 5th inning or earlier.”

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

This theory hinges entirely on a bigass maybe. Maybe (probably) Blazek gets rocked like the rest of them. Point is Davey should have more than one (1) reliable option. 

**** Grace, his role should be “pitches when they have an 11 run lead in the 5th inning or earlier.”

Agree completely--but with more important games--you throw Blazek or Guerra and save the bullet for Dodgers and Braves.

We really need another arm--and I worry about Shane Greene's regression, like Herrera last year. They can probably get Jake Diekman cheap and, even thought he isn't great, he's better than Grace

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Agree completely--but with more important games--you throw Blazek or Guerra and save the bullet for Dodgers and Braves.

We really need another arm--and I worry about Shane Greene's regression, like Herrera last year. They can probably get Jake Diekman cheap and, even thought he isn't great, he's better than Grace

Yeah.  I'm not too keen on Rizzo's penchant for bullpen arms under control beyond the season.  Bullpen rentals are a crap shoot.  Multiyear rock like Doolittle is the exception, not the norm.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

A win over the Rockies is the same as a win over LAD. 

What is Johnny Venter’s status?

Not that he’s Mariano Rivera, but he seems serviceable. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

I don't think the curse cares about hockey one way or the other

In all seriousness, there is no real curse - just two poorly run franchises and a baseball team that is good but hasn't broken through yet. We're all in this together good sir - well except that one weird person on here who was like I hope the other three franchises don't win for years but the rest of us were like uhhh yeah no F that sentiment 🍻

• Like 3

It's frustrating because this team is way too talented to be worrying about teams that are 6-7 games over .500, but that's what this bullpen did to it. 

September is going to be one of the most stressful months in the history of this franchise. Incredibly hard schedule and we play nearly every playoff relevant NL team then. 

Rizzo has a lot of work to do. 

13 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Some starter will be cut from a bottom feeder soon. We always find someone like a edwin jackson as a 5th starter it seems.  How about guys like aaron barrett?   Grace and Sipp are pretty useless.  Where's Barraclough?  

Wherever Barraclough is, Grace needs to join him

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm leery of Diekman.  I don't know much about the guy but I frequent a Philly board (all sports) for opponent perspective and I remember Diekman's nickname was "gas can" since he always seemed to make fires worse.

12 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

its not daveys fault.  we just dont have enough arms.  Rainey need to be that 8th inning guy. 

Javy Guerra threw zero pitches in a 4 game series where the BP threw 15 innings.  ZERO.  Never even warmed up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Javy Guerra threw zero pitches in a 4 game series where the BP threw 15 innings.  ZERO.  Never even warmed up.

He grinds the guys he trusts down, while never giving anyone else a shot. Very single minded, which doesn't bode well for any playoffs, honestly.

25 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

He grinds the guys he trusts down, while never giving anyone else a shot. Very single minded, which doesn't bode well for any playoffs, honestly.

Results would be much better if we had 4 fairly reliable relievers not 1 and a like three 50/50 guys. Up to Rizzo to get us there in the next 5 days. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Results would be much better if we had 4 fairly reliable relievers not 1 and a like three 50/50 guys. Up to Rizzo to get us there in the next 5 days. 

Probably only possible to get 1 additional arm.  Which is okay.  Doolittle is great.  Rodney is probably fine if we don't grind him down to dust.  Suero is decent.  Add another quality arm to the mix, figure in the strength of the starters and more stretched out playoff schedule, you could probably do it with good situational managing.  It would be fantastic if we can get one additional good bullpen arm and one situational lefty, but that's a pretty tall order.

In related news, as someone who beat the drums to sign Kimbrel, after two disastrous appearances to open his season, he has given up 3 hits and no runs in his last 8 appearances.  Nats might have been able to use him ffs....

5 minutes ago, bearrock said:

In related news, as someone who beat the drums to sign Kimbrel, after two disastrous appearances to open his season, he has given up 3 hits and no runs in his last 8 appearances.  Nats might have been able to use him ffs....

I really don't trust him at all. 5.28 FIP, 5.8 BB/9, has a very high pitch count per appearance...

35 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yeah, but I don't have much hope beyond Diekman. The Tigers were asking for Carter Kieboom for Greene. That ain't happening.

I mean, one, **** the Tigers.

Two, I’d be ok with moving either Kieboom or Garcia in a package but it better be a goddamn good package coming back to us. I’m talking multiple top relievers, even if we have to get a third team involved here to make it happen. 

I think Garcia is going to be good but he’s only 19 so a lot can still go wrong with his development. I think Kieboom is going to be really good, but IF we resign Rendon that makes Kieboom “just a 2B” for us. And solid hitting 2B haven’t been tough to find in FA the past few years. Just not a premium position. 

• Like 1