Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

He's not the greatest in-game manager. Not even a particularly good one, necessarily. But he is a great manager of people and clubhouses.

He was just about perfect during the WS run. May have just been lucky for some of it, but seemed like he made a lot of great decisions throughout the playoffs

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

He was just about perfect during the WS run. May have just been lucky for some of it, but seemed like he made a lot of great decisions throughout the playoffs

Can't argue with that. Everything fell right into place.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 4:29 PM, mammajamma said:

guess my "0%" was 100% more right

**** happens fast... :)

That atrocious July did it, along with Strasburg's injury. I'm glad Rizzo decided to go all-in. And the fact he got anyone for Jon Lester is amazing--Exec of the Year for that move alone!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

**** happens fast... :)

That atrocious July did it, along with Strasburg's injury. I'm glad Rizzo decided to go all-in. And the fact he got anyone for Jon Lester is amazing--Exec of the Year for that move alone!

His best move ever was somehow getting Trea Turner AND Joe Ross for Steven Souza in a three-way trade.  Which is another reason losing Trea stings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

His best move ever was somehow getting Trea Turner AND Joe Ross for Steven Souza in a three-way trade.  Which is another reason losing Trea stings.

That was a heist and a half--another reason I trust Rizzo in the trade market. Of all the players he's dealt, only one has been any good: Giolito. And even then, he's good, but not a world beater, "generational talent".

• Like 2

Would be interesting to do a top 10 (and bottom 10) Rizzo decisions.  

Off the top of my head, I'd say backing up the truck for Max Scherzer is high on the list, just b/c Max far exceeded reasonable expectations.  The Ross/Turner trade is way up there.  Signing Soto and then calling him up so early is also way up there.  Howie Kendrick for McKenzie Mills.  

I'd also be interested to see what people think of "The Strasburg Shutdown", or if it is even still controversial (I don't think it is).  Giolito for Eaton is probably the most controversial.  One side is "Gio is the much more valuable player overall" and the other side is "Eaton was instrumental in the Cship."  

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 9:56 PM, -JB- said:

Get to win?  Angels haven’t won **** and they paid Trout about a half billion plus Rendon about a quarter billion while still paying Pujol’s massive contract lol

Thats the angels.  Look at who dominates the league these days.  I don’t have to scout **** if I can just write a blank check for all stars. In the MLB you can literally buy a championship.  Why?  Because so much of it is individual brilliance.  Yeah great clubhouse attitude is great but quite simply if you stack the squad and no one rattles the cage you can get to the WS.   It’s not like other sports where other elements come into play.