Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I know this sounds crazy, but I'd rather Snyder own the Nats then Leonsis.

Leonsis  is clearly afraid of the Luxury Tax in the NBA, the idea of Snyder finally free of a rigid salary cap like the NFL sounds way more interesting.

We already know what we"d get with Leonsis , would be exactly what people fear, an owner acting like his team is mid-Market when DC is a top 10 TV market.  It's doom for the Wizards and would be double doom for the Nationals.

Lerners are clearly meddling with Rizzo.

Having said that, Ted should not be off the hook for the failures of the Wizards since taking full ownership, it's been over a decade now, everyone Abe Pollin brought in is gone now.

I'll add there's no way Snyder has the capital he needs to buy the Nats and build a new stadium, so I doubt he throws his hat in the ring in this one.

****, part of me would rather have Bezos then Leonsis, I've seen enough, man.

You said Dan Snyder?  My god man that is some really stupid **** to say! Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

Just now, Commander -JB- said:

You said Dan Snyder?  My god man that is some really stupid **** to say! 

At least he'd spend the money on the players.

9th largest TV market, 12th in team value, Nationals payroll should be either in between 9th or 12th or higher.

Right now we are 20th.  I get it, we are rebuilding, but this is killing me without a hard salary cap.  No doubt the Lerners preparing to sell had a factor here. 

Like I noted, Ted is terrified of the NBA luxury tax, he'd be the exact same way in MLB, Snyder would plow right through it.

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

At least he'd spend the money on the players.

9th largest TV market, 12th in team value, Nationals payroll should be either in between 9th or 12th or higher.

Right now we are 20th.  I get it, we are rebuilding, but this is killing me without a hard salary cap.  No doubt the Lerners preparing to sell had a factor here. 

Like I noted, Ted is terrified of the NBA luxury tax, he'd be the exact same way in MLB, Snyder would plow right through it.

Snyder wouldn’t have won a WS.  Cmon, dude.

To the Lerner’s credit they got screwed with the post WS season being the shortened COVID BS season.  A lot of revenue lost.  Terrible for business.  It was definitely time for a rebuild after that.  Remember, Nats were the oldest team in the league during 2019 WS run.

Edited by Commander -JB-

5 hours ago, Commander -JB- said:

Snyder wouldn’t have won a WS.  Cmon, dude.

I hate making this post because I don't want Snyder to be owner of either team, but this has to be said:

This is a reasonable assumption considering his track record with our football team, but still an assumption this hypothetical where he doesn't have a hard cap and actually does spend more then the Lerners in payroll.  Could be the LA Dodger, could be the LA Angels, strictly a hypothetical.

To the Lerner’s credit they got screwed with the post WS season being the shortened COVID BS season.  A lot of revenue lost.  Terrible for business.

I'm tired of hearing this, they weren't the only baseball team that went through that, they all did.

It was definitely time for a rebuild after that.  Remember, Nats were the oldest team in the league during 2019 WS run.

True, but Turner was 28 when we traded him, so this wasn't jus about dumping old player contracts.  It's rare that I meet people that try to defend trading him (not saying you are here, unless you are) as hard as some folks in this thread, this includes talking to other fans inside and outside Nationals Park.

2 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Ugh...Dee Strange-Gordon pitches the 8th inning after our ace (now 0-2 w/ 10.80 ERA) gets shelled in 2.2 innings. I didn't watch the game but they didn't have any other arm ready to pitch in the 8th? Seems strange this early in the season.

Didn't want to waste an arm in a blowout. 

I don't know what's wrong with Corbin. I want to know what Hickey is doing differently from last year to try to fix him. 

4 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Didn't want to waste an arm in a blowout. 

I don't know what's wrong with Corbin. I want to know what Hickey is doing differently from last year to try to fix him. 

Hmmm...Ok. But to me, the RPs need work this early in the season. They're going to get a lot of work this year so they need to get used to it.

Yeah, Corbin has lost his mojo. I need to watch the next time he pitches. Not sure if his velocity has dropped or what the problem is. And you're right - what is Hickey doing to try & fix him?

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Could be the LA Dodger, could be the LA Angels, strictly a hypothetical.

The Dodgers haven't won a full-season title since 1988. And that was their only full-season title since 1965. The Angels have been a train wreck under Moreno. Despite having the best player in baseball, and probably the 2nd best player in baseball, signing players like Upton, Rendon to big contracts--they've made the playoffs just once in 12 years. They have won just 1 playoff series since their WS win in 2002. You know how long ago their was?

This is current Nats Prospect Darren Baker then:

Darren Baker, the child batboy who nearly got crushed in the World Series,  was drafted by the Nationals - SBNation.com

Stop with the Snyder non-sense. You are talking out of your ass.

34 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

But to me, the RPs need work this early in the season. They're going to get a lot of work this year so they need to get used to it.

That is really bad logic. Relievers burn out from overuse all the time.

• Thumb up 1

Snyder would spend money sure but he'd spend it on the wrong guys just like he does in football. And he still wouldn't have Dodger or Yankee money. And the culture would be absolutely awful to the point that smart baseball people like Rizzo and Martinez would never work for us. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yes. See Sean Doolittle in 2019. There is absolutely no reason to run another pitcher out down 12

I wasn't suggesting pitching your #1 RP in this situation. It's early in the season with a shortened ST why not get another pitcher an inning of work? Is Gordon-Strange the new 'losing by 9+* runs Relief Pitcher'? 

*Edit: They were down 9 runs after the 7th. Gordon-Strange gave up 3 runs in the 8th.

Edited by EmirOfShmo

1 minute ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I wasn't suggesting pitching your #1 RP in this situation. It's early in the season with a shortened ST why not get another pitcher an inning of work? Is Gordon-Strange the new 'losing by 12+ runs Relief Pitcher'? 

What does it gain you, really? What's the point of logging 20 or so pitches in that situation. Relievers will get their work--running them out there in that situation is really unnecessary. And, what if he gets hurt?

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

The Dodgers haven't won a full-season title since 1988. And that was their only full-season title since 1965. The Angels have been a train wreck under Moreno. Despite having the best player in baseball, and probably the 2nd best player in baseball, signing players like Upton, Rendon to big contracts--they've made the playoffs just once in 12 years. They have won just 1 playoff series since their WS win in 2002. You know how long ago their was?

This is current Nats Prospect Darren Baker then:

Stop with the Snyder non-sense. You are talking out of your ass.

This is why I gave range on Dodgers and Angels, the Dodgers having been to World Series 3 times since 2017 and Angels not even close. 

Dodgers are basically jus throwing money at the problem until it finally worked, Angels doing the same with nowhere near the same results.

I want to let this go, and we should.

It's never going to happen, but my point remains, Leonsis won't spend top 10 money even if we are top 10 market and even if we get into top 10 overall value (currently 12th).  That would frustrate the hell out of me, so again, hard pass on potential Ted ownership.

• Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I hate making this post because I don't want Snyder to be owner of either team, but this has to be said:

This is a reasonable assumption considering his track record with our football team, but still an assumption this hypothetical where he doesn't have a hard cap and actually does spend more then the Lerners in payroll.  Could be the LA Dodger, could be the LA Angels, strictly a hypothetical.

I'm tired of hearing this, they weren't the only baseball team that went through that, they all did.

True, but Turner was 28 when we traded him, so this wasn't jus about dumping old player contracts.  It's rare that I meet people that try to defend trading him (not saying you are here, unless you are) as hard as some folks in this thread, this includes talking to other fans inside and outside Nationals Park.

Dude, it’s about generating revenue and having no fans in the stands the season following a WS championship is a huge blow.

On an entirely different note.  It’s really disheartening what has happened to Victor Robles.  He really shouldn’t be on the field at this point.  Just put him out of his misery already.  Crazy to think how much trade value he had after the WS.

Edited by Commander -JB-

9 minutes ago, Commander -JB- said:

Dude, it’s about generating revenue and having no fans in the stands the season following a WS championship is a huge blow.

But dude, Ted Lerner has the 5th highest net worth of any owner in MLB:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1125149/wealthiest-mlb-teams-owners/

So I can only have but so much empathy for his "financial predicament" 😒

Edited by Renegade7

40 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Who replaced Robles with Danny Espinosa?

My exact thoughts 😂

46 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

But dude, Ted Lerner has the 5th highest net worth of any owner in MLB:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1125149/wealthiest-mlb-teams-owners/

So I can only have but so much empathy for his "financial predicament" 😒

You still have to operate with the mindset of making profit.

1. Understand financials.
  2. Create a business map.
  3. Set realistic goals.

Edited by Commander -JB-