Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Sean Nolan just drilled Freddie Freeman, apparently in retaliation for Juan Soto getting hit yesterday. Umpire Lance Barksdale ripped off his mask, walked toward the mound, and beckoned his crew for a confab. After a short talk he tossed Nolan, to which Davey barked from the dugout “Hey Lance. That’s bull****!”

Will Smith hit Juan Soto last night. Apparently in retaliation for something that happened last year, when smith complained that Juan was standing too close to the plate watching him warm up. He griped to the ump, Juan moved back, then stepped to the plate and went yard on him. And stared him down a bit. Last year.  So Smith drilled Juan last night. And so Nolan hit Freddie tonight and got tossed.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

We may not be winning these games, but this team isn't quitting and there is a lot to like.

actually surprised at how decent this team is playing with mostly young guys. i feel like if they spent a decent amount of $ just on the bullpen in the offseason, we could be competitive (at least in our division) as soon as next season

34 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

actually surprised at how decent this team is playing with mostly young guys. i feel like if they spent a decent amount of $ just on the bullpen in the offseason, we could be competitive (at least in our division) as soon as next season

I think next year would be awesome, however unlikely. We're hitting well in a small sample size--all teams (even the Orioles!) hit well in short spurts. We have one long-term possibility in Josiah Gray, with more on the way, but we're still a ways away--Corbin is still an albatross, Stras is all but done, Fedde is terrible, bullpen is a mess.  We have lots to like in Ruiz, Gray, Garcia, Kieboom, Soto, Bell, Mason Thompson, plus more in the minors in Cavalli, Cronin, Henry et al. Other lesser-known prospects like Evan Lee are showing too. So lots to like, but I think it'll be 2023 before we really contend again.

But yeah, I'd be psyched if we bounced back in a year. I would go hard after Corey Seager this offseason too, but he might be too expensive.

There’s a lot that would have to go right for us to legitimately be back in contention even by 2023. Lot of prospects that all have to develop and perform at a high level. I don’t see a path there right now, but that’s because there is a lot that has to happen. Lot of guys that need to turn into stars for us. Lot of free agent signings that have to happen.

Premium free agents generally don’t sign with rebuilding teams.  Until we prove to the league that we’re ready to contend, we’ll be stuck with cheap second tier guys. So it’s not as simple as just having a good offseason to plug a few holes. 

44 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

But yeah, I'd be psyched if we bounced back in a year. I would go hard after Corey Seager this offseason too, but he might be too expensive.

i'd legit save all $ for a legit bullpen, develop the young guys, and see what happens. majority of our losses this year are on a bullpen collapse (mostly clay or hand), not hitting really.. it would be interesting at the least to see what our young hitters can do with some late inning pitching support

Edited by mammajamma
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

i'd legit save all $ for a legit bullpen, develop the young guys, and see what happens. majority of our losses this year are on a bullpen collapse (mostly clay or hand), not hitting really.. it would be interesting at the least to see what our young hitters can do with some late inning pitching support

Thing is, bullpens are so volatile.  We put some good money into guys like Hand and Rosenthall that have been disasters.  I hear you on spending there to round out a competitive team.  I don’t think we’re there yet.  Need to find more arms.  

I don’t think we need to be cheap either.  Need to grab another bat.  I guess maybe for LF or SS.  Need an innings eating SP too.  That would help the bullpen out a lot.

• Like 1

• Riggo#44 changed the title to 2021 Washington Nationals Thread: Max Scherzer, 3K Club! Always a Nat!