Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Panthers

KDawg

39 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Don't forget about the drive that he fumbled the ball and Trent caught it and ran for 4 yards to get us into position to try a 56 yard FG? Oh, he completely ****ed that up. Trent just saved his ass. Without that, They just kick a FG and beat us in OT.

Or the strip sack of Smith that Williams catches and gets us close enough to hit a 56 yard FG.

Like I said..good things are happening this year! Those balls would have been TO's if Kirk was playing ?. It's just his Karma...Kirk is GONE..and I for one was ready for the move. Stats be damned. That whole 2012 draft was cursed and NOW gone! Yea.

NOW...Gruden just won a game against a good team..if his team comes out flat against the Boys..he may just push me over the edge of not having ANY hope for him

9 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Like I said..good things are happening this year! Those balls would have been TO's if Kirk was playing ?. It's just his Karma...Kirk is GONE..and I for one was ready for the move. Stats be damned. That whole 2012 draft was cursed and NOW gone! Yea.

NOW...Gruden just won a game against a good team..if his team comes out flat against the Boys..he may just push me over the edge of not having ANY hope for him

Well, now that we know how you feel about the best QB we've had here in 30 years, I'm sure you'll dazzle us with other brilliant hot takes. :rofl89:

58 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Dude, it's been one year. We're not comparing the 70's NFL to today.

Have you been watching games this year? More points/TD throws than any year in NFL history. It's a big difference this year even compared to last. It's getting more and more like flag football. Nearly every QB's numbers are up. It's definitely something that should be taken into account.

4 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Well, now that we know how you feel about the best QB we've had here in 30 years, I'm sure you'll dazzle us with other brilliant hot takes. :rofl89:

Ok...now you're just exaggerating, or just terrible with math...

You think Cousins is better then Trent Green?

6 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Mark Rypien won a superbowl in 1992, heck Doug was still our QB in 1988.  Kirk is at best the 3rd best in the last 30 years now go wash your mouth out.

3 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Mark Rypien won a superbowl in 1992, heck Doug was still our QB in 1988.  Kirk is at best the 3rd best in the last 30 years now go wash your mouth out.

I'd still put Trent Green above Cousins. He was an unfortunate casualty to the team being sold

49 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

I have a hard time agreeing with that grounding call. The running back was right there and he got hit while throwing it. 

I actually agree with you, but I had issues with the one they called on Cousins in NO too. I just meant that nothing stood out drastically different to me when it comes to managing those types of drives. 

10 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

6 minutes ago, Xameil said:

I'd still put Trent Green above Cousins. He was an unfortunate casualty to the team being sold

Wow...they had more success, but I think it's OK to admit that those guys weren't as good with us as Cousins was. Offenses, team rosters, and eras were different, but I'm comfortable admitting that Cousins was better than maybe Williams and CERTAINLY Rypien. 

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I actually agree with you, but I had issues with the one they called on Cousins in NO too. I just meant that nothing stood out drastically different to me when it comes to managing those types of drives. 

Wow...they had more success, but I think it's OK to admit that those guys weren't as good with us as Cousins was. Offenses, team rosters, and eras were different, but I'm comfortable admitting that Cousins was better than maybe Williams and CERTAINLY Rypien. 

I could agree with William's and Rypien, but not Green. I think Green was much better. 

But as you said Eras are different and it's a much more QB stat friendly era...

1 hour ago, Monkman56 said:

After what they did to Jacksonville? I'd pump the brakes and realize we have another extremely tough game coming up.

Dallas has the #5 overall defense and we are at #6 (yards per game).  Dallas also is only giving up 17.2 PPG (#2 overall) compared to us giving up 20.8 PPG (#8 overall), but it should be mentioned that they have played one more game than us and that blow-out loss to the Saints hurt that ranking.  

And agreed, it looks like they snapped out of their offensive struggles this week, dropping 40 points on the #2 defense, could be a very long day coming up next Sunday.  They also are able to score TDs in the second half, they have in all 6 of their games.  I know I keep dwelling on that in a lot of my posts, but that worries me, because it allows other teams to stay in the game and pull out a W against us.

We don't have a real home field advantage at FedEx, the screams of Kuechly from half the crowd was absolutely pathetic, and we all know Dallas fans are everywhere.  Even if the game is close given both teams defenses, the only way I see a W coming is if we put up points in the 2nd half, not just FGs.  

2 minutes ago, Xameil said:

I could agree with William's and Rypien, but not Green. I think Green was much better. 

But as you said Eras are different and it's a much more QB stat friendly era...

Green is hard for me because we saw him primarily in meaningless games of a lost season. He did develop into a great player though. 

12 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Ok...now you're just exaggerating, or just terrible with math...

You think Cousins is better then Trent Green?

Yep. Not markedly so, but yes. And, Trent wasn't here long, was he? 2 years, only started 1 season? I'm not sure if you can really compare what he did here with anyone, he wasn't here long enough.

11 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Rypien had a great year. Willaims had a great game. Neither did more than Cousins over a 3 year span. Winning a SB is a team accomplishment. Try to understand football better.

6 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Green didn't do much here. He did quite a bit elsewhere. Cousins is blowing up in Minny. Maybe we'll go back in 10 years and see what's what. Until then, He shattered just about every single year record we had.

@Morneblade you are definitely NOT taking into consideration that this is an incredibly QB friendly era...this year being the worst. You have defenses scared to actually sneeze on a QB this year. So I think your argument about Cousins being the best in 30 years is definitely off. I would totally put Green above him even if it was a limited window.

1 minute ago, Xameil said:

@Morneblade you are definitely NOT taking into consideration that this is an incredibly QB friendly era...this year being the worst. You have defenses scared to actually sneeze on a QB this year. So I think your argument about Cousins being the best in 30 years is definitely off. I would totally put Green above him even if it was a limited window.

You have no idea what I'm taking into account. I do know what you're taking into account though. A full career of a guy that play 11 years in the league, but only 15 games here. He was not that guy when he was here. Now, Kirk is just hitting his prime, and it's showing. Is he doing it on a better team? Yeah.............so did Trent. Do I wish we had kept Trent, damn right I do. Do I think that Kirk is heads and shoulders better than Trent? No, but I do think he is a little better. This is what we can say for certain.

Kirk was a better QB here. Like I said, if we want to revisit this in 10 years and see what both of their full careers looks like, that's fine and dandy. Kirk Might have 3 SB's by then, who knows. Or not. But the fact of the matter remains that he aint done yet. So, comparing a complete career to one in progress is apples to oranges. That, and Trent was barely here. He did his damage in KC.

7 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Not directed at me but I think it's tough to ever determine honestly. 

I would say (probably to your point), that it's all worthy of discussion. But, for you to call it "definitely off" to consider Cousins the best QB we've seen here since the mid-1980s is pretty dismissive. Just as this era is inflating statistics, Cousins was also stuck in a dysfunctional organization on a flawed team. You can't look just at the stats, but they have to at least be considered. If not the raw numbers, maybe where he ranks among other QBs over that three-year period. 

Jesus, went from first page to fourth and it went from analysis of yesterday to modern day vs. 70's eras, Kirk, Green, and Dallas?

Anyway.

I think that the most infuriating part for me was the absolute lack of pass rush.  Like @KDawg said, it's not like what we were doing was working, so why not rush more?  On the Norman pick, we brought pressure.  On the last two plays of the game, Cam was flustered because we brought more than four.

And I definitely agree that the shuffle, especially moving someone else to center to call protections, is a bad idea.

Against Arizona, Smith looked like the guy we traded for.  Just made smart plays, like to avoid the safety, side step while keeping his eyes downfield, the little things.  Since then he's just, meh.  Occasionally he has those bullets that are fantastic, but they're far and few between. 

I was also annoyed with him throwing behind his receivers.  For Harris twice there was a lot of YAC possible, but he threw it behind him causing Harris to have to stop or just catch it and go to the ground.  I don't play or coach, but my understanding is that unless you are trying to protect your receiver because leading him will get him killed by a closing defender or you're throwing to the end zone, you lead your receiver so that he can do something with the catch.

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Not directed at me but I think it's tough to ever determine honestly. 

I would say (probably to your point), that it's all worthy of discussion. But, for you to call it "definitely off" to consider Cousins the best QB we've seen here since the mid-1980s is pretty dismissive. Just as this era is inflating statistics, Cousins was also stuck in a dysfunctional organization on a flawed team. You can't look just at the stats, but they have to at least be considered. If not the raw numbers, maybe where he ranks among other QBs over that three-year period. 

I see what you are saying. But I just have a hard time saying you can compare stats from 30 years ago to now. Especially since every week you see questionable roughing the passer penalties and another defender saying he was scared to hit the QB.

Just now, Xameil said:

I see what you are saying. But I just have a hard time saying you can compare stats from 30 years ago to now. Especially since every week you see questionable roughing the passer penalties and another defender saying he was scared to hit the QB.

Completely fair...then compare where he stacked up against the other 31 QBs. Productivity is still important even if the actual numbers can't be used. 

My point isn't that I know the right answer, it's that believing Cousins is the best we've had in 30 years is completely defensible and logical. 

Obviously a needed, big win for the Skins. Solid D and though the O was shaky at times, they did enough to get the win. Smith did some good things, but there was a play where Carolina jumped offsides and the flag was thrown. There was no contact made between lineman, so the refs let the play go, as they should in that situation...the old free play for the offense. But Smith ran around a bit before throwing up his hands as if to say "What's the call refs" and then instead of just taking a shot downfield with the freebie, he threw the ball away. I guess it's a possibility that one or some of our receivers stopped when they saw the flag & maybe that's why Smith threw his hands up, but the point is is that your offense has to know that's a free play situation.

Smith's biggest play, might have came with just over 7 minutes left in the game. With the Skins facing 2nd & 8 from our own 37, Smith got swarmed in the pocket by a few Carolina defenders, but managed to escape for a 5 yd. gain. When he got up, he was screaming at the refs that they grabbed his facemask before he took off running. There was no flag yet thrown, but Smith's hard lobbying worked, because a flag was then thrown & we got 15 tacked on to the 5 yd. gain. The replay clearly showed Smith was right and I'm not so sure without him screaming for a flag, we would've got it. That penalty was huge, as it set us up with 1st & 10 at the Panther 43. Our subsequent three plays were: Peterson for 12, Doctson reception for 6 and then Peterson for 10. That set us up for the chip shot FG to put us up 6, forcing Carolina now to need a TD as opposed to just a FG to tie.

If we didn't get that flag, we're looking at a 3rd and 3 from our 42. Who knows what happens then, but it could have ended up playing out favorable for Carolina. Thanks to Smith's pleading, we got the deserved flag that led to some insurance points and ultimately the win. We lead the division going into Sunday with Dallas coming to town. Who wouldn't have taken this if told this would be the scenario heading into week 7?

14 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Completely fair...then compare where he stacked up against the other 31 QBs. Productivity is still important even if the actual numbers can't be used. 

My point isn't that I know the right answer, it's that believing Cousins is the best we've had in 30 years is completely defensible and logical. 

I'll give ya that. 

11 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

Obviously a needed, big win for the Skins. Solid D and though the O was shaky at times, they did enough to get the win. Smith did some good things, but there was a play where Carolina jumped offsides and the flag was thrown. There was no contact made between lineman, so the refs let the play go, as they should in that situation...the old free play for the offense. But Smith ran around a bit before throwing up his hands as if to say "What's the call refs" and then instead of just taking a shot downfield with the freebie, he threw the ball away. I guess it's a possibility that one or some of our receivers stopped when they saw the flag & maybe that's why Smith threw his hands up, but the point is is that your offense has to know that's a free play situation.

Yeah, it looked like he was thinking that they were called for a false start and then halfway realized that the whistle hadn't blown.

Even though people may disagree with the grounding call, I do, all he had to do in that situation after that excellent return was not go backwards.  He could've taken three knees.  Anything.  Just not backwards to move us out of field goal range.

And then he goes backwards out of field goal range.  That was really frustrating to watch.

9 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Yeah, it looked like he was thinking that they were called for a false start and then halfway realized that the whistle hadn't blown.

Even though people may disagree with the grounding call, I do, all he had to do in that situation after that excellent return was not go backwards.  He could've taken three knees.  Anything.  Just not backwards to move us out of field goal range.

And then he goes backwards out of field goal range.  That was really frustrating to watch.

I almost lost my **** after that drive. But I don't pin it on just Smith...

We've seen that for a few years now...drives where we basically just need to not screw up, yet SOMETHING happens. I don't know what to think. It can't be the coach...it's not the QB since we've seen multiple under this coach make odd choices. I really think it comes down to being a flawed team and, every now and then, we'll have a breakdown somewhere. 

Should Smith know enough to be ULTRA-conservative there? Of course. But, having said that, if he is scanning the field and way before he expects it there's a guy in his face...that's a 0.25 second decision to make. I just think we're not good enough to buckle down and play cleanly all the time. 

Archived