Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

we need depth at Free Safety (pass coverage safety), ILB, and a TE.

• 63aJz_bT_x96.jpg

Wes Martin said he took a visit with the #Redskins, so knew he was on their radar. Said he's known for his brute strength, IQ and explosion. Credits growing up on a dairy farm for his strength. Said he was mad about 38 bench press reps at pro day. He did 42 couple days before
1:44 PM · Apr 27, 2019 · TweetDeck

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Thanks!  From this it looks like he picks up guys as they come into his area fairly well.  So stunts/etc seem fine for him.  That was a big issue with some of our LG play last season and stunts would just annihilate the play.

Love that pick, looks like a mauler who lives to pancake anyone who get's in his way!!! With that said; I am not a fan of Moses, would like us to get a potential replacement, I think he's been vastly overrated by our coaching staff!!! 

I really really like the Martin pick. A captain, high character, very smart, extremely strong, mauler of an interior lineman. That's exactly what I wanted in this round. Still some good OL there in the 5th so hopefully we add more depth.

So... 

i love our draft so far.

Bryce Love is the biggest question mark simply because of my stance on drafting injured players being asinine. But his talent is great. You know who would have been a great backup for Thompson though. Kapri freakin Bibbs. 

Wes Martin is an absolute beast. 

Haskins was a great value pick.

and our crown jewel, Montez Sweat.

More I read about Martin, more I like this pick. Possibly strongest guy in the draft. Supposedly showed high level intelligence in team interviews. High character guy who started a dog rescue in his Ohio hometown with his mom. Got over $1400 in pledges for the rescue when he did 38 reps at 225# at Indiana pro day. Only big negative is his height. Think this kid has a real chance to see time, this season.

From what I see of Martin, he's built like DaRon Payne.  Very compact, burly build without any sloppy weight on him.  Looks a little undersized, but that's OK at guard, where I think you really need to accumulate quickness now that the B gap rush has become such a weapon for NFL defenses.  The tremendous upper body strength really shows up on those down blocks.

Wish his arms were a little longer.  I notice that the technique on his run blocks isn't super clean.  He drops his head into the contact.  I think that's developed as a result of not having a ton of length.  That will have to be ironed out of his technique to improve his accuracy and sustain.

Wes Martin, like the look. Unexpected, no idea if he's a warm body or not. Looks like a strong, fierce competitor to me though. Some fairly impressive stats being rolled out too about sacks/pressures allowed etc.

open minded with this pick, and he's actually a LG..:headbang:

8 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

More I read about Martin, more I like this pick. Possibly strongest guy in the draft. Supposedly showed high level intelligence in team interviews. High character guy who started a dog rescue in his Ohio hometown with his mom. Got over $1400 in pledges for the rescue when he did 38 reps at 225# at Indiana pro day. Only big negative is his height. Think this kid has a real chance to see time, this season. 

It seems like we're building a really positive culture on our offense.  We're going to be a little undersized (not at QB though), but we've got a lot of smart guys who have the classic lunch pail type approach to football.

I have to think that Amani Oruwariye either had a medical concern or a character concern to have fallen so far below his projection.

More thoughts on West Martin:

- Very explosive

- I second though thought that he is a strong combo blocker

- Does some lunging with his reach blocks but he's got a lot of natural power to stay alive on the rep until he can get his feet reset

- Very sticky after he latches on.  Powerful hands can control smaller rushers from inside their pads

- Pass sets look pretty clean

- Very nice looking anchor against inside power

- Footwork is quick and compact.  Has an easy looking kick.

- Like that he keeps his head in the rep until the whistle.  Will pancake and move on and doesn't get target locked.  I can see what people mean when they say he's smart.

1 minute ago, dswerdlw said:

Love the Pierschbacher pick.  Since we just picked 2 interior lineman, should I worry about our intentions to extend Scherff's contract?  Please tell me I shouldn't.

He's a core player.  It's two day three OLs, I don't think Scherff has anything to worry about.

8 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

Kelvin Harmon and Amani Oruwariye still being available are head scratchers. Must be something going on with both.

I want Harmon but I suspect he will be gone by our next pick.  D. Walker still available that's surprising among others for me. 

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What's the consensus on Pierschbacher?

I don't know.  I like what I read about him.  I read a story that Kyle and company have a real good relationship with the Alabama coaches and a lot of access to see the pplayers there in practice among other things.  So I trust it based on that alone. 

Here's Brugler's take

6. ROSS PIERSCHBACHER | Alabama 6035 | 307 lbs. | rSR. Cedar Falls, Iowa (Cedar Falls) 6/5/1995 (age 23.90) #71 BACKGROUND: A four-star offensive tackle recruit out of high school, Ross Pierschbacher (PEERSCH-baker) played football and track at Cedar Falls. He lined up at different spots on the offensive line but spent most of his time at left tackle where he was a three-time First Team 4A All-State selection. Pierschbacher was ranked as the No. 1 recruit in the state and earned his first scholarship offer as a sophomore from Iowa. He initially committed to the Hawkeyes, but took visits to Alabama and Stanford, ultimately flipping to the Crimson Tide. After redshirting in 2014, Pierschbacher moved to left guard where he became the full-time starter for three seasons before moving to center as a senior. He accepted his invitation to the 2019 Senior Bowl. [109] YEAR (GP/GS) POSITION NOTES 2014: Redshirted 2015: (15/15) LG 2016: (15/15) 13 LG, 2 RG 2017: (13/12) LG 2018: (15/15) OC Second Team All-American; First Team All-SEC Total: (58/57) 40 LG, 15 OC, 2 RG HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP COMBINE 6035 307 32 1/8 10 79 3/4 5.20 3.06 1.84 22 1/2 - 4.70 7.83 20 (no broad jump – choice) PRO DAY -

- - 23 - - - - (stood on Combine runs, shuttles, bench) STRENGTHS: Efficient snap-to-step action, quickly extending into rushers…flashes a powerful punch…comfortable on his feet and aggressively climbs to the linebacker level…skilled with combination blocks and stays busy through the whistle…perceptive and quickly sorts through movements, finding correct blocking angles…voted a 2018 team captain by his teammates…graduated with his bachelor’s degree in three years and recently earned his master’s (December 2018)…started multiple games at all three interior offensive line positions, finishing his career with 57 career starts. WEAKNESSES: Barrel-chested and lacks ideal bulk as a guard…shorter arms and struggles to control long-levered defenders…average body twitch and slow to react to counters…tightness through his core leads to elevated pad level, losing his balance vs. power…eager blocker but his hand timing and recoil are inconsistent…can get tossed when his technique isn’t perfect…missed two starts as a junior (November 2017) due to a high ankle sprain. SUMMARY: A four-year starter at Alabama, Pierschbacher spent three seasons at guard before moving to center in 2018, replacing Bradley Bozeman (sixth-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft to the Baltimore Ravens). He matched the school record with 57 career starts, including eight in the College Football Playoffs. Pierschbacher is quick out of the chute to achieve body position and reach defensive linemen. He is smart and flashes power in his hands, but he lacks the inline power or length to consistently redirect or displace defenders in the run game. Overall, Pierschbacher is average from an athletic and strength standpoint, but he is fundamentally sound with the seasoned instincts and position flex that will serve him well in the NFL, projecting as a center-guard backup.

Archived