Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

Since I first arrived on ES I've been saying Dr Phil 🤡 is considered a bad joke/jive huckster/carnival barker in the psych/behav sci community. And Oprah has elevated more than one assclown to unmerited prominence in her time. 🙄

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

14 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Might help explain some of the mental issues too... especially since they found out that incest is WAY more prevalent than believed:

https://www.firstpost.com/explainers/incest-cases-on-rise-in-the-us-dna-testing-family-13751377.html

Yeah, I was wondering if your original post was meant to be shocking?

I thought incest to be de rigueur in Maga world.

https://www.unpopularfront.news/p/the-shadow-of-the-mob

As my friend Eric Levitz quipped on Twitter, Resistance Libs like to say, “Trump is a sociopathic gangster.” Pro-Trump swing voters respond, “Yes, exactly!”

Donald Trump is now a convicted felon. Will voters mind? Certainly not his core supporters: for them the charges were always, as Trump would say, “rigged.” But maybe even those who are not the MAGA faithful but view Trump in a more ambivalent way may not be much bothered by Trump’s official status as a criminal. And some might even find something attractive in it.

Yesterday, The New York Times published a forum with 11 undecided voters on Trump. Here’s a little part of it that I think is quite telling.

Trump talks and acts like a mafioso. He’s not trying to hide it. He has compared himself to Al Capone frequently. The New York Times reported last week, “Trump Leans Into an Outlaw Image as His Criminal Trial Concludes,” This is not all just theater, either. He really comes from the world of the mob. His lawyer and mentor Roy Cohn also served as house counsel to the Gambinos. The deal for the concrete for Trump Plaza was worked out with Anthony “Fat Tony” Salerno, boss of the Genovese family, in Cohn’s living room. The Trump family’s political patron in Brooklyn was Democratic boss Meade Esposito, a close associate of Paul Vario, who was the basis for Paul Sorvino’s character in Goodfellas. None of this is terribly exceptional: To do business in New York at that time, particularly in construction, you were gonna have to deal with the mob. That’s just how things worked.

And that was Trump’s education in political philosophy, as it were: “This is how things work.” Everything’s a racket: You’re either on the outside, a chump, or on the inside, making it.

Mafias and the like are secret societies. Rackets work for a closely knit in group that exploits an outgroup. But what Trump offers is the clubbiness of the mob for the masses. He offers a big hug and a kiss. He brings you into his “family:” “I’m gonna tell you how it really works and with me you’re gonna be rich and powerful. And **** everyone else.” He offers protection: as “Jonathan” remarks, he’s “the guy who does bad things but does them on behalf of the people he represents.” He might kick the **** out of the other guy, but to you, the guy on his side, he’s warm, gregarious, and fun: he winks and slaps you on the back.

For these voters, the “system” has failed, so we need Trump. But what is the system? Basically all the universalistic promises of liberal democracy, be they the notion of the rule of law, formal political equality, or market exchange. In all of those frameworks, individuals are supposed to encounter other individuals as free and equal citizens endowed with the same inalienable rights. A harmonious society supposedly develops from the interplay of their diverse interests. But what if it doesn’t? As Marx once pointed out, in capitalist society, “under [the] “rule of law”, the law of the jungle lives on under a different guise.” To many, life feels more like a continuous struggle for survival rather than a social contract providing for reciprocal rights and obligations. Margaret Thatcher once said, “There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families.” What Trump says, in effect, is, “There is no such thing as society. There are rackets. And I can help you get in on one.” And, as a corollary, “There are no contracts. There’s what you can get away with.”

On 6/7/2024 at 2:09 PM, Jumbo said:

Since I first arrived on ES I've been saying Dr Phil 🤡 is considered a bad joke/jive huckster/carnival barker in the psych/behav sci community. And Oprah has elevated more than one assclown to unmerited prominence in her time. 🙄

image.thumb.png.c6a8880936193a4beefd89b3e94e54bd.png

• Haha 2

On 6/7/2024 at 5:25 PM, Cooked Crack said:

Trump would never be caught dead in jeans. A story just came out about Don Jr.'s none-too-perfect relationship with his dad, and it mentioned an incident in college The Orange God came to pick Don Jr. up for some event. Junior answered the door wearing a Yankees jersey, and his dad slapped him in the face and told him to go put on a suit. 😁

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Trump would never be caught dead in jeans. A story just came out about Don Jr.'s none-too-perfect relationship with his dad, and it mentioned an incident in college The Orange God came to pick Don Jr. up for some event. Junior answered the door wearing a Yankees jersey, and his dad slapped him in the face and told him to go put on a suit. 😁

That story is at least eight years old. I believe it's Don Jr's college roommate what told that story. Papa Trump n Jr were going to a Yankees game I believe.

I don't doubt it happened. Trump is from the kinda family where stuff like driving ones self in a car is for the poors. That's why he lost his **** when he sat in that semi trucks driver seat that one time. He finally got to be a kid. 🤭

image.png.71331872f698091a686c8146f7dd99fb.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Someone who has never done laundry goes digging in white pants. 

Someone who wears a tan suit is accomplished and confident. 

Someone who has never ridden a bicycle, driven a car, or bought groceries (ever!) doesn't deserve anyone's vote. 

Edit, add:  that's what kicked Bush 1...scanners blew his mind, and Clinton knew what a loaf of bread cost. 

Edited by skinsmarydu
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Edit, add:  that's what kicked Bush 1...scanners blew his mind, and Clinton knew what a loaf of bread cost. 

I want to point that the Bush's mind was blown by a (traditional) scanner isn't true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarket_scanner_moment

https://apnews.com/article/61f29d10e27140b0b108d8e12b64b839

(NYT initially wrote the story that way, but every other news outlet that was there reported that the NYT story was false.  But then other places, especially late night comedians picked up the NYT version of the story.  This was one of the first cases where the right-wing media really bashed the MSM and probably with some validity.)