Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

Sidney Powell group raised more than $14 million spreading election falsehoods

In the months after President Donald Trump lost the November election, lawyer Sidney Powell raised large sums from donors inspired by her fight to reverse the outcome of the vote. But by April, questions about where the money was going — and how much there was — were helping to sow division between Powell and other leaders of her new nonprofit, Defending the Republic.

On April 9, many members of the staff and board resigned, documents show. Among those who departed after just days on the job was Chief Financial Officer Robert Weaver, who in a memo at the time wrote that he had “no way of knowing the true financial position” of Defending the Republic, because some of its bank accounts were off limits even to him.

Records reviewed by The Washington Post show that Defending the Republic raised more than $14 million, a sum that reveals the reach and resonance of one of the most visible efforts to fundraise using baseless claims about the 2020 election. Previously unreported records also detail acrimony between Powell and her top lieutenants over how the money — now a focus of inquiries by federal prosecutors and Congress — was being handled.

The split has left Powell, who once had Trump’s ear, isolated from other key figures in the election-denier movement. Even so, as head of Defending the Republic, she controlled $9 million as recently as this summer, according to an audited financial statement from the group. The mistrust of U.S. elections that she and her former allies stoked endures. Polls show that one-third of Americans — including a majority of Republicans — believe that Trump lost because of fraud.

Matt Masterson, a former senior U.S. cybersecurity official who tracked 2020 election integrity for the Department of Homeland Security, said Powell’s fundraising success demonstrates one reason so many people continue to spread falsehoods about the 2020 election: It can bring in cash.

Click on the link for the full article

7 hours ago, China said:

Matt Masterson, a former senior U.S. cybersecurity official who tracked 2020 election integrity for the Department of Homeland Security, said Powell’s fundraising success demonstrates one reason so many people continue to spread falsehoods about the 2020 election: It can bring in cash.

One reason? THE reason. Trump acolytes have learned to suck at the large orange teat.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

On 12/6/2021 at 7:47 PM, China said:

Trump Social Media Blows Deadline, Still Claims $1 Billion Commitment From Secret Investors

Donald Trump’s new social media venture announced Saturday it has won a commitment for $1 billion from an unidentified “diverse group of institutional investors” — even though his operation missed a partial launch deadline last month.

Trump’s Truth Social media venture was supposed to launch an invitation-only beta test version of the social media site last week, but it didn’t happen. It still only exists as a largely promotional website (with a waiting list) six weeks after Trump announced the venture.

CNBC called the deadline the first “test” of whether Trump could deliver what he promised.

The share price of Digital World Acquisition Corp. (DWAC) — the SPAC company that plans to merge with the former president’s Trump Media & Technology Group Corp. (TMTG) — has dropped dramatically since skyrocketing after the former president first announced the project.

But Trump crowed in a statement Saturday that $1 billion sends an “important message to Big Tech that censorship and political discrimination must end ... As our balance sheet expands, TMTG will be in a stronger position to fight back against the tyranny of Big Tech.”

TMTG and DWAC announced that “subscription agreements for $1 billion in committed capital” would be received from the unknown group of investors once TMTG and DWAC are combined.

Truth Social had an inauspicious debut when hackers quickly manipulated the site, created a fake Donald Trump account, and posted images of defecating pigs.

People are laughing at Trump’s new company

Is this the revenge of Four Seasons Landscaping?

That was the worn-down venue in Philadelphia where Donald Trump’s lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, launched the doomed effort to block Joe Biden’s win in the 2020 presidential election. The Giuliani group meant to book the Four Seasons hotel, but somebody goofed and Giuliani ended up spouting his familiar election lies in front of an industrial garage door plastered with Trump signs. The Trump effort to overturn the election never got any more professional than that.

Trump’s new media company, called the Trump Media & Technology Group, may suffer the same amateurish delusions. An “investor presentation” the company recently filed with the Securities and Exchange commission is provoking guffaws among business analysts, with laughable evasions and barely any business strategy. “It does feel like every public action by this company is designed give the impression that it is a joke,” Bloomberg analyst Matt Levine wrote on Dec. 7.

The oddest part of the TMTG presentation is the “technology team” listed on Slide 21. The company has apparently filled 30 important jobs already, but it only lists these team members with a first name and last initial. The chief technology officer is “Josh A.” “Steve E.” is VP of engineering. One of the senior mobile developers is “BJ.” Are these real people or stand-ins? We may never know: As a footnote explains: “personnel subject to change.”

893289d1-579f-11ec-aaef-41e559f2b060

BTW, I notice the EF Hutton name is on the slide.  I thought they were defunct.  Apparently, they have resuscitated the name as a cover for Kingswood Capital Markets.  They're apparently trying to cash in on the name recognition and reputation of that old company (assuming people younger than me still recognize the name).

Lin Wood Claims Marjorie Taylor Greene Is Under Influence of ‘the Devil’

Pro-Trump lawyer Lin Wood, who’s embroiled in an escalating war of words with Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA), told The Daily Beast that he believes the far-right firebrand is under the “influence of the devil.” Furthermore, Wood told The Daily Beast that he has placed the congresswoman on a lengthy list of Trumpworld influences that his legal team is considering serving with defamation lawsuits. So far, Wood has pledged to sue Fox News stars Tucker Carlson and Dan Bongino, and now he’s added Greene to a growing list of “deep state” right-wing agents working to “destroy” his credibility. “They know what they did, they lied like dogs about me,” Wood said. Greene, Wood alleged, has “falsely defamed” him. However, it remains unclear when Wood intends to file such legal action, and he’s continually dodged the question when asked by The Daily Beast.

At the beginning of November, Wood claimed that Greene owed him money for past legal services. Now he says he believes sinister forces control her after the representative called for him to be jailed over his questionable legal work on the Kyle Rittenhouse case. “I mean, from a biblical perspective, I think she is under the influence of the devil,” Wood told The Daily Beast. “Because people that follow Jesus Christ don’t lie. Marjorie Taylor Greene is a liar. Draw your own conclusions.”

Click on the link for the rest

• Haha 4

I got to say to my fellow Americans,  I'm saddened by all this. I reckon I grew up in a different Era, but what I'm seeing from this oranged hair ass and his followers makes me fear for my kids future. 

How can people be so blind as to follow this idiot is beyond me. 

Think about our kids and what they are going to have to put up with. 

Make no mistake people, trump and his LEGION of followers will ensure his reign continues. 

I am not necessarily religious and can be accused of being agnostic.  But I can see how God would tire of our bs.

HTTR!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, China said:

Lin Wood Claims Marjorie Taylor Greene Is Under Influence of ‘the Devil’

I've been reflecting for at least 10 years (maybe 20) that maybe my belief that Satan doesn't exist may need to be rethought.  Every time I look at the Republican Party.  

• Like 1

Mike Lindell Supports Fans’ Push to ‘Bombard’ Supreme Court

Increasingly restless supporters of MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell have a new plan of action: Send the Supreme Court physical copies of the pillow maven’s dubious and unsigned 80-plus page court filing that seeks to overturn the 2020 election. Late last week and again on Wednesday night, supporters called into Lindell’s evening live steaming program to share that they had “mailed” the pillow executive’s drafted case to the high court. “I mailed it to the Supreme Court,” a Wednesday evening caller said, to the joy of Lindell, who laughed and appeared overcome with excitement.

The caller continued by encouraging others to “bombard them [the Supreme Court]” with the filing so that the Supreme Court justices know “that the complaint is out there.” “Downloaded it, printed it off. It cost me $32 to mail it overnight, but, you know, I am a man of action,” the caller added. “Right, right,” the pillow tycoon replied in agreement with the tactic before telling the supporter, “God bless you.”

Reached for comment late Wednesday night by The Daily Beast about his supporters utilizing the postal system to “bombard” the Supreme Court with copious numbers of legal filings, Lindell said he “support[s] all people.” “I want the AGs called and emailed,” Lindell further told The Daily Beast, suggesting that his so far unsuccessful legal filing needs to be signed by attorneys general before it’s mailed.

11 hours ago, China said:

Mike Lindell Supports Fans’ Push to ‘Bombard’ Supreme Court

Increasingly restless supporters of MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell have a new plan of action: Send the Supreme Court physical copies of the pillow maven’s dubious and unsigned 80-plus page court filing that seeks to overturn the 2020 election. Late last week and again on Wednesday night, supporters called into Lindell’s evening live steaming program to share that they had “mailed” the pillow executive’s drafted case to the high court. “I mailed it to the Supreme Court,” a Wednesday evening caller said, to the joy of Lindell, who laughed and appeared overcome with excitement.

The caller continued by encouraging others to “bombard them [the Supreme Court]” with the filing so that the Supreme Court justices know “that the complaint is out there.” “Downloaded it, printed it off. It cost me $32 to mail it overnight, but, you know, I am a man of action,” the caller added. “Right, right,” the pillow tycoon replied in agreement with the tactic before telling the supporter, “God bless you.”

Reached for comment late Wednesday night by The Daily Beast about his supporters utilizing the postal system to “bombard” the Supreme Court with copious numbers of legal filings, Lindell said he “support[s] all people.” “I want the AGs called and emailed,” Lindell further told The Daily Beast, suggesting that his so far unsuccessful legal filing needs to be signed by attorneys general before it’s mailed.

Think I could make money setting up an eBay page to sell 10 foot poles?  

Sidney Powell joins the list of people Trump pretends not to know

Donald Trump said Sidney Powell was never part of his team. That's ridiculously untrue, but it's also part of an amazing pattern.

It's clearly been a tough year for Sidney Powell and her bizarre anti-election conspiracy theories. She was fired from Team Trump; one of her big lawsuits became a fiasco; and federal prosecutors are demanding financial records from her operation as part of a reported criminal investigation.

Powell's position didn't improve when The Washington Post reported this week that her non-profit, Defending the Republic, raised more than $14 million by spreading obvious election falsehoods — and questions about where the money was going led many members of the group's staff and board to resign.

It was against this backdrop that Donald Trump sat down with conservative media figure Hugh Hewitt this week, and the host asked about the controversial lawyer's recent troubles. As the transcript shows, the former president responded as if he barely knew Powell.

"No, she was, she didn't work for me. She was a lawyer that was representing General [Mike] Flynn and some others, and she never officially — now she was on our side from the standpoint, I guess, you know, from the standpoint of what she was doing, but she didn't work for me as per se. She worked for General Flynn and others. And I disagree with some of the things that she's doing, and some of the statements that she made, as you know."

• Haha 1

Trump playing a shell game with his political donations so it's difficult to track his benefactors.

Trump’s Dark-Money Machine Gets a Makeover—and New Owners

While ex-President Donald Trump spent the last year licking his election wounds and consolidating power in the Republican Party, his allies were busy reconfiguring a constellation of outside spending groups that have helped bankroll his political movement for years.

Trump’s influential “dark money” machine appears to have almost entirely turned over, capping the overhaul off with the apparent sale of a pro-Trump nonprofit earlier this year, The Daily Beast has learned.

The changing of the guard at the nonprofit, formerly known as America First Policies, illustrates how difficult it is to get a clear picture of the outside money fueling Trump’s movement. It reflects a turbulent year within the circle of Trump’s top advisers and fundraising chiefs, but also casts another layer of opacity over millions of dollars in already obscured donations the group made to controversial far-right causes in 2020, as Trump fought to cling to the White House.

Lloyd Mayer, an expert in nonprofit law at the University of Notre Dame, cast these anti-transparency developments as “troubling,” saying they strike at the heart of federal sunshine laws.

“Whatever your views of so-called ‘dark money’ may be, these groups are further obscuring money flows,” he said.

How the money flows was already in little danger of becoming too clear.

America First Policies, a nonprofit which does not have to disclose its donors, was the core of a pro-Trump dark money network, with an organizational scheme that seems confusing by design.

If you were looking for an illustration of how difficult it is to track how these groups operate, America First Policies offers a prime example.

And the grift goes on...

Trump’s new social site right now is just a fundraising front

Former President Donald Trump is inviting people to reserve their usernames on his new social media platform. But it might cost you.

Trump’s been teasing the launch of Truth Social for months. Last week, Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) announced that he was resigning from Congress to become the platform’s chief executive officer. He takes the helm of a company that’s already faced troll attacks and is under federal investigation.

Trump isn’t letting these hindrances stand in his way. Truth Social has reportedly raised $1 billion from a group of investors.

To date, Truth Social is essentially what’s been described as “a landing page with a sign up sheet.” It’s unclear how many people have signed up for the platform.

Some have concerns that the company’s value will depend on how many people sign up for the site.

Trump appears to have partnered with the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) to encourage more registrations and raise some money.

Last week, people began receiving texts inviting them to join Truth Social.

The Daily Dot obtained a screenshot of one of these texts. It promises that “the wait is over.”

“TRUMP ALERT: Trump is making his comeback with a social media platform all his own, and we want YOU to join!” it says.

Truth Social’s site allows you to “join the waiting list” for no cost—but doesn’t allow you to reserve a username. Trump did not immediately respond to an inquiry sent via his website seeking to confirm whether he’d partnered with the NRSC to get people to sign up for Truth Social and donate to the committee.

It’s not clear if this is just marketing or a donation will actually reserve your username, as the site doesn’t provide any confirmation and it’s not possible to sign in to the platform at present.

Those who sign up for Truth Social on the NRSC’s page are deluged with as many as four texts per day asking for more money. The texts come from the NRSC’s phone number and include links to its fundraising site along with pleas to the tune of, “[W]e’ve reached out FOUR TIMES already! Take our Trump Patriot Poll here to help RETAKE TRUMP’S MAJORITY” and “Stop ignoring…! Tell us your Trump Social Media Username! Click HERE to correct the record.”

NRSC’s page to reserve a username on Truth Social pre-selects monthly recurring donations. The notice that it’s a recurring donation is in a smaller, lighter font beneath large, bold text about being a “top Trump supporter” and how much he “needs you.”

Trump isn’t a senatorial candidate. It’s widely believed that he will run for president in 2024.

Automatically pre-selecting recurring donations created some controversy for former Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-Ga.) in her failed election campaign last year. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Loeffler had to refund millions of dollars to donors, many who said they’d unintentionally signed up for recurring donations.

A law professor who specializes in political finance told the Journal-Constitution this tactic is “semi-fraudulent or intentionally deceptive.”