Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

I hate all of them. They are so ****ing worthless and they don't do anything constructive.

Okay, the ones that voted for the bipartisan infrastructure bill and the select committee are tolerable. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hersh said:

I hate all of them. They are so ****ing worthless and they don't do anything constructive.

Okay, the ones that voted for the bipartisan infrastructure bill and the select committee are tolerable. 

Nah, that's like Liz Cheney. Just because they do one good thing doesn't erase the thousand terrible things they go along with otherwise. Not a single one of them, for example, voted to repudiate Gosart or what's their name. Their complicit. Their souls are sold.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

Nah, that's like Liz Cheney. Just because they do one good thing doesn't erase the thousand terrible things they go along with otherwise. Not a single one of them, for example, voted to repudiate Gosart or what's their name. Their complicit. Their souls are sold.

disagree. We must accept all allies in any fight for democracy against the fascist Republicans. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hersh said:

disagree. We must accept all allies in any fight for democracy against the fascist Republicans. 

Agree that we should accept allies, but I think considering these congressmen Allie’s is mining false gold. 

Yes, always seek and be open to cooperation, but don’t fool yourself. 

• Like 1

This is how you lose. I don't care if they aren't implementing voting rights reforms now. Trump and the GOP are prepared to shred the Constitution. I'll take every Liz Cheney out there on this one issue. I'll take every judge that throws out the GOP cases when it comes to this one issue. Think maybe some of you underestimate how far some on the right will go. 

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

This is how you lose. I don't care if they aren't implementing voting rights reforms now. Trump and the GOP are prepared to shred the Constitution. I'll take every Liz Cheney out there on this one issue. I'll take every judge that throws out the GOP cases when it comes to this one issue. Think maybe some of you underestimate how far some on the right will go. 

All I'm really saying is beware of Lucy pulling away the football. 

I wouldn't turn away help even if it's only on one issue. I wouldn't mistake that for someone being an ally to democracy. For instance, voting on infrastructure is great. I applaud the Republicans for doing so. I don't take for granted that they will come on board for any other issue, but I would offer them the opportunity, too.

• Like 1

I am not sure if Kinzinger is on the record on the issue  but Liz Cheney has already come out and pretty much refused to attach this huge post-2020 election voter ID/voting laws push to the big lie.  She refuses to connect the two which to me shows that while she may view Trump himself as a threat to democracy, she isn't so concerned about the tactics to put the next less-Trumpian GOP member in the same position. 

35 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am not sure if Kinzinger is on the record on the issue  but Liz Cheney has already come out and pretty much refused to attach this huge post-2020 election voter ID/voting laws push to the big lie.  She refuses to connect the two which to me shows that while she may view Trump himself as a threat to democracy, she isn't so concerned about the tactics to put the next less-Trumpian GOP member in the same position. 

The way I see things now, we may never see a "less-Trumpian" candidate from the GOP. If you're a republican politician, the only way you're getting the necessary votes to move up (or even move in) is to go all Trump all the time. The base isn't budging.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

I definitely understand where you guys are coming from. I don't discount that and it's going to be up to Dems to change that. 

1 hour ago, Chachie said:

The way I see things now, we may never see a "less-Trumpian" candidate from the GOP. If you're a republican politician, the only way you're getting the necessary votes to move up (or even move in) is to go all Trump all the time. The base isn't budging.

Short term, I fear you are right, but I think everything is on the pendulum. Right now, the right has swing pretty high on the crazy side. At some point, they'll swing back towards actual "conservativism." I don't know what will trigger the change. It's hard to imagine something more cataclysmic than losing close to a million lives because your side decided to push the lie that a disease was a fraud and a liberal plot. But at some point, the Right will embrace facts, reality, and care more about making things better than power for power's sake and screwing the other side.

Conservativism isn't dead. Half of the most liberal members on this board consider themselves conservative or would have been labeled conservative twenty years ago.

• Like 1

Another thing we also don't know yet is what a post-Trump world looks like for national elections that don't involve Trump at all. Trump is going to be out of the picture eventually, maybe even as soon as 2024, but there are going to be plenty of other politicians with aspirations (on either side of the aisle) that will definitely study how effective Trump was after the loss and possible look for ways to use that.  Looking back on that couple of months in retrospect, I fear what very  likely could have happened if Trump was anyone other than Trump.  Trump never hid his disdain and disregard for any rules that prevented him from doing whatever he wants, neither in private life or public life.  The fact that he was so unashamed and loud about it appealed to some but also exposed him to others.  The next guy to come along and attempt it isn't likely going to behave like that and instead take the measured approach publicly while working behind the scenes even harder.

4 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Another thing we also don't know yet is what a post-Trump world looks like for national elections that don't involve Trump at all. Trump is going to be out of the picture eventually, maybe even as soon as 2024, but there are going to be plenty of other politicians with aspirations (on either side of the aisle) that will definitely study how effective Trump was after the loss and possible look for ways to use that.  Looking back on that couple of months in retrospect, I fear what very  likely could have happened if Trump was anyone other than Trump.  Trump never hid his disdain and disregard for any rules that prevented him from doing whatever he wants, neither in private life or public life.  The fact that he was so unashamed and loud about it appealed to some but also exposed him to others.  The next guy to come along and attempt it isn't likely going to behave like that and instead take the measured approach publicly while working behind the scenes even harder.

I think it goes back to the way it has been, with elections not involving incumbents being largely a popularity contest and ones with incumbents largely going the way of the incumbent winning reelection if the country is performing remotely well economically, unless the party out of power runs a rock star like Bill Clinton.

The brutal truth is that based on overall performance, Trump would've won reelection if he wasn't such a jackass and didn't publicly behave so erratically in response to the pandemic.

6 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

If Trump wins in 24; that will be the last real election this country has.

If Trump doesn’t run, the gop will nominate The most Trumpy candidate and probably wins in 24 over any Dem, including Biden.

• Sad 1

A large chunk of my patients have Fox News on, overnight.  

Lately, I've learned (From Hannity himself) that Joe Biden has done nothing to stop Russia from building troops on the Ukraine borde4r.  And that this clearly proves that he is completely owned by the evil empire.  

I saw parts of an interview with the author of, I think the title was "Hunter Biden's Laptop From Hell".  

I learned that we don't have hard data on how well our vaccines work against Omicron.  And therefore any attempt to encourage people to get vaccinated is clearly a political abuse of power.  

I learned that the guy who drove his truck through that crowd was an Antifa member, who was clearly radicalized by the liberal propaganda machine convincing him that cops are out to kill black people, and therefore the liberal media is responsible for the actions of the people they've radicalized with their inflammatory reporting.  (I really loved that one.)  

I learned that some Republican legislators have decided that if we could simply halt all government spending for six months, then it would reverse inflation and economic prosperity will result.  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Burgold said:

Short term, I fear you are right, but I think everything is on the pendulum. Right now, the right has swing pretty high on the crazy side. At some point, they'll swing back towards actual "conservativism." I don't know what will trigger the change. It's hard to imagine something more cataclysmic than losing close to a million lives because your side decided to push the lie that a disease was a fraud and a liberal plot. But at some point, the Right will embrace facts, reality, and care more about making things better than power for power's sake and screwing the other side.

Conservativism isn't dead. Half of the most liberal members on this board consider themselves conservative or would have been labeled conservative twenty years ago.

You are probably right, Burg. At least I hope you are.

My observance is that "The Base" holds current and near-future candidates hostage. They can't win without the crazies. They can't win without the idiots. They can't win without the militia-minded, racist, civil war fantasizers and those that can't see beyond a Donald Trump society that encourages their world view. 

COVID's not going away, so they can perpetually "fight for their rights." The Big Lie is now their biggest weapon and a part of the future process of all elections.  Rittenhouse just won them a huge banner to carry for a long time. The republican politicians are chained to all this. Extreme right is now THE Right. I'm having trouble focusing beyond that brand of political opponent. Truly a frightening phenomenon. 

4 minutes ago, Chachie said:

You are probably right, Burg. At least I hope you are.

My observance is that "The Base" holds current and near-future candidates hostage. They can't win without the crazies. They can't win without the idiots. They can't win without the militia-minded, racist, civil war fantasizers and those that can't see beyond a Donald Trump society that encourages their world view. 

COVID's not going away, so they can perpetually "fight for their rights." The Big Lie is now their biggest weapon and a part of the future process of all elections.  Rittenhouse just won them a huge banner to carry for a long time. The republican politicians are chained to all this. Extreme right is now THE Right. I'm having trouble focusing beyond that brand of political opponent. Truly a frightening phenomenon. 

Yeah. I think Republicanism as a force for crazy will stick with us for at least ten years. After that, maybe the tides shift. I mean they kind of have to... there's only so long that a party's agenda can be designed to kill its own voters and reduce the size of the party and last, right?

• Like 1

Trump Social Media Blows Deadline, Still Claims $1 Billion Commitment From Secret Investors

Donald Trump’s new social media venture announced Saturday it has won a commitment for $1 billion from an unidentified “diverse group of institutional investors” — even though his operation missed a partial launch deadline last month.

Trump’s Truth Social media venture was supposed to launch an invitation-only beta test version of the social media site last week, but it didn’t happen. It still only exists as a largely promotional website (with a waiting list) six weeks after Trump announced the venture.

CNBC called the deadline the first “test” of whether Trump could deliver what he promised.

The share price of Digital World Acquisition Corp. (DWAC) — the SPAC company that plans to merge with the former president’s Trump Media & Technology Group Corp. (TMTG) — has dropped dramatically since skyrocketing after the former president first announced the project.

But Trump crowed in a statement Saturday that $1 billion sends an “important message to Big Tech that censorship and political discrimination must end ... As our balance sheet expands, TMTG will be in a stronger position to fight back against the tyranny of Big Tech.”

TMTG and DWAC announced that “subscription agreements for $1 billion in committed capital” would be received from the unknown group of investors once TMTG and DWAC are combined.

Truth Social had an inauspicious debut when hackers quickly manipulated the site, created a fake Donald Trump account, and posted images of defecating pigs.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

MAGA moms meet Madison Cawthorn's challenge: Why right-wing women raise their sons as "monsters"

There's much to be learned still about the role that James and Jennifer Crumbley played in the mass murder their son, 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley, is accused of committing in Oxford, Michigan last Tuesday. But, at a bare minimum, we know that the couple indulged their son's unhealthy fascination with guns and violence, even buying the boy the weapon he allegedly used to kill four teenage kids. In the name of MAGA politics, Jennifer Crumbley has left a long digital trail of evidence demonstrating how she celebrated her son's gun worship. In 2016, she posted a long letter defending her decision to vote for Donald Trump on the grounds that she could not let Hillary Clinton "have control over my son's future." She thanked Trump "for allowing my right to bear arms," and bragged about how she's not scared of Trump's "big personality and quick temper." Finally, she signed the letter as someone who is "sick of getting f*cked in the ass and would rather be grabbed by the ****."

Crumbley's husband shared the letter by writing, "My wife can be spot on. Sometimes."

In the cult of MAGA, women need to be kept in their place. Yes, even loyal women who worship toxic masculinity to the point of pretending that being sexually assaulted is no big deal.

It is important to recall that in October, one of the more noxious trolls in the House's GOP caucus, Rep. Madison Cawthorn of North Carolina, gave a speech aimed at the mothers of MAGA in which he encouraged the women to raise their sons to be "monsters." Cawthorn claimed that "[o]ur culture today is trying to completely de-masculate all of the young men," and argued that it's on mothers — who he called "the most vicious in our movement" — to counter this supposed emasculation by training their sons to be "monsters and lions." Predators, essentially. 

That Cawthorn only addressed mothers is no mistake, of course. In MAGA-land, fathers who are present in their kids' lives are viewed as emasculated. And a lot of MAGA moms were hardly waiting for Cawthorn's instructions.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1