Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Greg Stroman CB Virginia Tech

PCS

@OVCChairman,

Maybe my eyes aren't that good but if the point you are trying to make by posting Fuller's pic next to Stroman's is that Fuller is much bigger than Stroman, I don't see it. Their legs look roughly the same. 

On a separate note, if the frame wasn't the issue, how do you feel Stroman did as a CB?

Fuller is certainly thicker. There have to be some comparably sized slot CB's though. And Stroman's coverage skills and hips look great. I still think he will see a lot of time and maybe even eventually wind up as the 1st team slot CB. I like Josh Holsey there this year. 

6 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

@OVCChairman,

Maybe my eyes aren't that good but if the point you are trying to make by posting Fuller's pic next to Stroman's is that Fuller is much bigger than Stroman, I don't see it. Their legs look roughly the same. 

On a separate note, if the frame wasn't the issue, how do you feel Stroman did as a CB?

I dont think they're that much different, but Fullers is definitely thicker in the calves.

I love him as a CB.  He's got good instincts and he plays bigger than he is.  Some of the things that make him an effective returner (vision, quick hips and feet, and burst) really help him play CB.  I think he's got the athletic ability to help compensate for his smaller stature.  If you watch some of his highlights, he shows some very good football IQ.  He finds himself in the right place at the right time.  I obviously don't want to see him on an island vs Julio Jones, Odell Beckham, or any of the top WR in the league.  I do however think he can be a valuable Dime or Nickle DB when he's primarily matched up against WR.  I DONT feel comfortable with him man to man on a TE.  He'll get out sized.  He can be a good 3rd down CB where offenses will run an additional WR or RB and split them out into the slot. 

This play made me very happy, as you can get a good idea of him in space, especially in zone.  He didnt crash and attack, he felt the RB streak and he stayed home.  Drifted back and was in perfect position as the QB rolled out.  

QB here telegraphed it, but positioning was good and he broke on the ball well.  

Fast forward to 1:00 and watch the INT vs Miami.  The QB looks off the defenders, does everything right, throws a lazer to the crossing pattern and Stroman breaks on it, beats the WR for position and makes an athletic to make the INT.  

He's a good corner, as far as ability and technique and can be a slot guy like Anselmheifer said. 

@OVCChairman,

Thanks for the breakdown. 

I'm impressed by his quickness breaking to the ball. Seems very athletic. Given where we took him in the draft, if he could make it on the feild in spread formations as a dime CB, we will have gotten our money's worth. 

Next year's draft we will need to focus on CB, LG, and possibly TE but I think we should be ok with Josh Norman and Fabian Moreau as CB1 and CB2 and Quentin Dunbar in the slot.

On 5/10/2018 at 9:25 AM, OVCChairman said:

Fast forward to 1:00 and watch the INT vs Miami.  The QB looks off the defenders, does everything right, throws a lazer to the crossing pattern and Stroman breaks on it, beats the WR for position and makes an athletic to make the INT.  

That QB did everything wrong. Thats as bad a pass as you can throw. Thats high school stuff.

On 5/12/2018 at 12:41 AM, volsmet said:

That QB did everything wrong. Thats as bad a pass as you can throw. Thats high school stuff.

The highlight above that one was as bad a pass a you can throw.  That Miami pass is a timing pattern that Stroman read and broke.  The one vs ECU the QB telegraphed it and made it easy. 

I'll also say that it looks like Stroman has great hands. It's nice to finally feel like we are capable of developing players. The Play of Nicholson and Dunbar, one of whom was thought of as a major reach, and one of whom was a WR, makes me feel like we have a real chance when we draft a secondary player with tools. I don't see much to pick on in Stroman's game, other than his size. I also like Holsey as a prospect, but Stroman doesn't have those health concerns. With a solid year from Norman, and the DL, we could have a really good secondary with very good pieces to build on for the future. 

11 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I'll also say that it looks like Stroman has great hands. It's nice to finally feel like we are capable of developing players. The Play of Nicholson and Dunbar, one of whom was thought of as a major reach, and one of whom was a WR, makes me feel like we have a real chance when we draft a secondary player with tools. I don't see much to pick on in Stroman's game, other than his size. I also like Holsey as a prospect, but Stroman doesn't have those health concerns. With a solid year from Norman, and the DL, we could have a really good secondary with very good pieces to build on for the future. 

I know this sounds crazy, but I think this team would do right to draft a CB every draft (can be late round). Never can have enough of those guys. Hopefully one turns out to be a CB2.

26 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I know this sounds crazy, but I think this team would do right to draft a CB every draft (can be late round). Never can have enough of those guys. Hopefully one turns out to be a CB2.

We're gonna need a CB1 sooner rather than later.  A part of me hopes we draft one high next draft.  

8 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

We're gonna need a CB1 sooner rather than later.  A part of me hopes we draft one high next draft.  

I'm cool with that. 

Although I think other priorities we will need to consider high in the draft (no particular order) are: 

OG

TE

EDGE

QB

On 5/17/2018 at 9:28 AM, OVCChairman said:

Think the expectation internally is that the future CB1 was drafted in Moreau, but otherwise a first round corner next year becomes almost as likely as NT was this year.

4 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Think the expectation internally is that the future CB1 was drafted in Moreau, but otherwise a first round corner next year becomes almost as likely as NT was this year.

Yep.  A corner at 1 is probably at/near the top of the list now considering Norman’s status.  

On 5/14/2018 at 7:44 AM, OVCChairman said:

The highlight above that one was as bad a pass a you can throw.  That Miami pass is a timing pattern that Stroman read and broke.   

Thats simply not correct. Stroman is breaking before the QB has even looked in his direction. Thats not a timing pattern, thats a QB fooled by coverage who threw an awful pass, very late, without any confidence, because he felt he needed to get rid of it. It was as grotesque a play as a QB can make, it was a gift to Stroman, a win for Bud Foster. 

It couldnt be more obvious, Frazier simply made an awful pass. Timing? The QB winds back up & throws a half hearted pass to a WR that has stopped. Look at the stills, look at the footwork, its just embarrassing QB play. Stroman is quick & made a fine play, but you are mistaken with your analysis. It wasnt a confident throw, it wasnt a timing route, it was a lost QB who didnt get away with an egregious error. Stroman is breaking on it before the QB winds up a 2nd time with his slow release, it looks like a pick6 before this QB even looks in Stromans direction.

QB play gets no worse:

Screenshot_20180520-030026.png

Screenshot_20180520-030044.png

Screenshot_20180520-030058.png

Screenshot_20180520-030142.png

Archived