Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

53 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Amazing stat on the broadcast.  Os are 0-48 this year when trailing after 7.  Right before Britton gives up a 2 run homer to tie the game.

Britton hit hard in the ninth.  Fortunately several were at people or close enough to run down.

Mariners have that team of destiny **** going on.  I like how they play the game, they scrap for runs, take the extra base.  Well balanced offense.

Anyway, we are historically ****ty so it only stands to reason that we'd lose a game like that.

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I still think we hold Manny, he walks and we get a comp pick.

Right now the only two players with real value are Manny and Jones. Maybe someone gambles on Britton but he’s been terrible. Won’t get much of anything especially with his salary. Might not be traded until August unless he figures it out ASAP. Ownership really ****ed up vetoing the trade last season. 

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

Right now the only two players with real value are Manny and Jones. Maybe someone gambles on Britton but he’s been terrible. Won’t get much of anything especially with his salary. Might not be traded until August unless he figures it out ASAP. Ownership really ****ed up vetoing the trade last season. 

Holding Britton after that 2016 season was almost criminal. Anyone who's followed the game knows how volatile relief pitchers tend to be. He made history and his stock was never going to be higher. 

Even though I wanted to trade Manny sooner than later, I understand the Orioles not going with the firesale after the wild card loss. It's what I wanted, but it wasn't unreasonable to hold onto most guys (outside of Britton) knowing that we had a two-year window and we had just qualified for the post-season. I think many of us saw it falling apart, but I got it. 

I'm hoping we could trade Jones, Machado, a couple bullpen arms, and maybe even guys like Valencia and Trumbo (for far less). If for no other reason, I'd just love to clear people off the team even if the return is next to nothing. I'd try to trade anyone who isn't under team control for 2+ years (through 2020). 

We have disagreed about the timing of trading Britton but at least DD did last season and had a good return for him. The problem is ownership way overvalues their own players because a desperate team like the Cubs way over paid for Chapman to win a WS. 

Valencia should get traded. Maybe Trumbo goes if he stays hot but I kinda doubt it. 

I'm glad Davis got another one. The K's are still up there but at least he has squared a few. 

This was just classic Orioles 2018 suck, though. You get the huge knock int he bottom of the 8th and then immediately blow it. Darkest timeline. 

The results from ZB haven't been good. Coming back from that injury, its a situation where the scouts will care more about velocity and movement than results. They're scouting him to pitch for them in August, not June. 

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

We have disagreed about the timing of trading Britton but at least DD did last season and had a good return for him. The problem is ownership way overvalues their own players because a desperate team like the Cubs way over paid for Chapman to win a WS. 

Valencia should get traded. Maybe Trumbo goes if he stays hot but I kinda doubt it. 

I think you're on the money - I just think they should be willing to part with anyone who's only here through next year for anything. Anything. I'd rather open a spot in the lineup for someone currently in AA and move Trumbo for $1M to a team who might need a DH or PH than keep him around. 

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think you're on the money - I just think they should be willing to part with anyone who's only here through next year for anything. Anything. I'd rather open a spot in the lineup for someone currently in AA and move Trumbo for $1M to a team who might need a DH or PH than keep him around. 

I have to believe Jones gives permission for the O’s to trade him to a contender. If he doesn’t, he should be moved to RF ASAP. Not as punishment but he’s just not as good anymore in CF. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

I have to believe Jones gives permission for the O’s to trade him to a contender. If he doesn’t, he should be moved to RF ASAP. Not as punishment but he’s just not as good anymore in CF. 

Yeah, there was a ball that dropped in front of him last night that a decent CFer should have caught.

I think Jones gives permission for a trade, too.  He is having a good year with the bat, but the defense remains a problem.  I am not sure what the market would be for him but I think we can get two decent prospects back.  

Last night was terrible.

7 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Should've traded Britton after the 2015 season or at the 2016 deadline. I knew he was going to fall off. 

He was pretty good in 2016 and we did make the wildcard so had an outside chance at the series (yeah I know a long shot with that rotation but postseason baseball is hard to predict)

2017 trade deadline is when he should have been traded.   Considering the haul the Yanks got for Chapman we should have gotten back decent return.  True we were slightly only slightly below .500 and could have made run, but with our starting pitching being the mess that it was, with no clear way to fix it and the fact that the rest of our bullpen was pretty darn good, it was the perfect opportunity to sell high.

The top of the 8th was the quintessential Orioles inning. 

Givens get get the first out and has Trout down 1-2. Walks him.

A wild pitch and then walks Upton.

Pujols doubles on a ball lost in the sun by a utility infielder playing RF. 

Then an intentional walk. 

Scott comes in and gets a DP ball but our SS is playing 3b because the 3B wants to be a SS. Beckham whiffs on 3rd, has to come back to tag the bag and his throw to Davis sails. Safe. Inning continues and now they’re trailing. 

An infield single because the 2b didn’t run to the bag and Machado had nobody to flip it to. Bases loaded again. 

Hit by pitch. 

2 run single and the runner thrown out to end the inning. 

4 defensive misplays, walks, a hit batter, and 2-1 becomes 6-2. 

Gross. 

Help and hope is right around the corner. International Signings have begun! Woot Woot!

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2018-mlb-international-signings-tracker/

Alright, lets see what cracking. 

Nats - have signed 18 guys so far. Alright, good for them. No cross town rival hate. All love in the DMV.

Rays - 10 guys, some are high ranked. Okay. No worries here. 

mfYankees - 14 guys. man, some expensive talent. One guy got a 800k signing bonus. Not the way Angelos and Os do things. To rich for our blood. 

Red Sox - 12 guys so far. one guy for a whooping 1.15M signing bonus. Yesh. Not for my Os, we dont want to get good all of the sudden. lets take our time with this. 

Blue Jays - 9 guys but gesus, one guy got a 3.5M signing bonus. WHAT?! man that is money down the drain. LOL, blue jays .. pretending to be good. 

Orioles - 0. 0 guys signed. The only other team w 0 guys signed are the Braves who were punished and not allowed to sign anyone. 

ZERO ****ING INTERNATIONAL SIGNINGS. none. nada. zilch. The Redskins have as many int'l signings as the Os.  

Apparently the no. 1 prospect is 22 years old, wont require payment to his former team, no strings attached type signing .. im sure Angelos is green lighting this perfect international prospect as he meets our criteria - no strings attached posting needed. of course we have the most money to spend .. since we havent spent any. 

Lets go Os!

Archived