DC9

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Why don't the Redskins offer Trent Williams a new deal, just looking at some cap figures and in 2019 he has a $14m cap hit with only a 2m dead cap hit(think I'm right). Would he not be interested in a new deal that the Skins could get his 2018 cap figure down to about 8m, saving just under 6m this year. I would also seriously look at trying to trade Reed as well, we have about 16m on the books for TE this year. If no trade then outright release him saving 5m, a 10m cap figure for Reed is far to much for 8 games a season. While I'm at it why don't we release Norman who is a better talker than player and save 9m off the cap, there you go I've saved 20m for our Redskins. 

 

Don't be to hard on me fellow Skin's just my own opinions ?

 

HTTR 

Releasing Norman and Reed on top of losing KC and not getting anything for them would be tough. How bout seeing if there's a trade partner out there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way getting rid of Norman would make any sort of sense would be if it helped us stack the D line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, steve09ru said:

Of course your players have to execute, what I'm saying is that a lot of qb's could have hit those passes.  The scheme and draw ups are what consistently worked.  People act as if it was all Kirk.  I loved Kirk but he missed a lot of open guys and didn't always lead his receivers well.  He is not worth what he is going to get, like it or not.  Smiths contract is essentially what Kirk is worth and from the sound of it, he's going to get overpaid by at least 5 million per.

 

Listened to Cooley talk a bit on this yesterday morning and it was very interesting.  I'm sure there is some truth to it, but to the extent that Cooley was saying it I got the feeling he was toeing the company line.  I'm not 100% sure.

 

He talked about Kirk's process.  How Kirk would practice during the week how he would play.  So if a window wasn't there in practice he wouldn't even throw to that particular receiver (even if he was the 1st option) in practice because he wanted to practice how he would play in the game.  That was part of his "process" and it eventually rubbed some dudes the wrong way.  Practice is there for you to synch up and work out kinks.  Apparently the rest of the team was just there to be a part of Kirk's process the last two years.  And that was where a lot of Jay's frustrations came from.

 

Essentially what this does is it makes the rest of the team not work hard because they know the ball isn't coming to them anyway.  This is probably what frustrated Pierre and DJax to the extent that they were frustrated.

 

Cooley brought up the example that when Campbell was hurt in 2007, all of the throws he never made Todd Collins would make.  And he said it took the WRs and TEs a minute to get used to that, but once they noticed they would get those throws there was more effort there from the whole team.

 

Now, the knock on Alex is he doesn't take a lot of risks in the game, similar to Kirk, but we don't know how he practices.  His team mates all loved him.  And if he can mature the team by doing those little things the next couple of years - and the front office can build the team around him - when they're ready to hand the keys over to a youngin in two or three years this trade will have been an absolute success.

 

Lots of ifs and buts in there.  But Doug deserves a chance.

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

Somebody please refresh my memory. 

Wasn't teddy Bridgewater on pace to become a superstar before his injury? 

 

I remember when the injury happened there was all sorts of rumors of possible amputation to he may never walk again but I thought he was making an excellent recovery. 

Why are the vikings letting him walk? 

Is he not recovering from the injury as well as I thought or was he not looking as good as I remember before the injury? 

 

I thought Bridgewater was the most overrated QB in the NFL.  He made the Pro Bowl the year Kirk had his coming out party in 2015 and Kirk was an alternate.

 

Bridgewater had a terrific running game and defense.  He was a below average game manager for my money and now is coming off an awful injury.

 

Who is to say he can't be a late bloomer?  I would've taken a shot at him.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Im glad I'm not the only one who has soured on Reed anymore. I got crushed last year for it.

I love Reed when he's healthy, but he is a money sink because he's just not healthy enough to have an impact for the team. Good enough that someone might take a flier on him and hope he can stay healthy consistently though (which he inevitably will if he leaves the Skins - nailed on to suit up 16 times a season - that's just how the world works :rofl89:)

Edited by UKskins
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DC9 said:

 

I'm not sure this is THE plan that any one wanted, but after the dust has settled on it I think it's a plan that could work if we do it right.  Certainly not expecting a ring the next couple of years but we could have the KC approach where the team gets groomed and coached up the next two years for a QB we take late this year (everyone thinks it's the kid from Richmond - who looks every bit the US Army Ranger in the face - never seen him play a snap though).

 

Smith is a guy who could mature the rest of the team like Doct and Crowder and a Jarvis Landry or the like.

 

I'm not sure what the market will be for Reed, but I agree he could go.

 

Of course all of this depends on what the actual guaranteed money on the Smith contract is.  But it could set up nicely for a kid to take over in 2020 and give us a two to three year window to run there.

And this is how they get away with stuff like this. Somehow they sell fans on the notion that trading away draft picks and young players is the way to develop for the future. Two decades of failure and somehow it still works. 

 

You know what he most important step to developing young talent is? It's acquiring young talent. In the Family Feud version of that question the survey says about 93 points. Coaching would be number 2, btw. Spending assets on aging mentors didn't matter enough to make the board, sorry.

 

You want a guy to hold the fort and "groom" a youngster, go sign a Josh McCown or somebody. There's zero reason to believe Alex Smith helps young guys better than he would. Smith is here to keep the team going for that 9-7 level. That's the only reason he's here. "Grooming" young players is just the nonsense they rely on people buying into.

 

'The kid from Richmond' as well as the kid from Western Kentucky are actually two guys I would be really excited about. But it's ironic you bring him up, because I think at the moment (obviously a high probability that I'm wrong, and clearly subject to change) we'd need that 3rd round pick to get either of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, UKskins said:

I love Reed when he's healthy, but he is a money sink because he's just not healthy enough to have an impact for the team. Good enough that someone might take a flier on him and hope he can stay healthy consistently though (which he inevitably will if he leaves the Skins - nailed on to suit up 16 times a season - that's just how the world works :rofl89:)

I don't love him. Never have really. He's an absolute **** in the blocking game. You're a TE. You refuse to even try and block. It's absurd. Yes, he's an incredible reciever. He doesn't play that position. He's a TE and our run game and defense suffer because of it.

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

And this is how they get away with stuff like this. Somehow they sell fans on the notion that trading away draft picks and young players is the way to develop for the future. Two decades of failure and somehow it still works. 

Draft pick"s" and player"s"? Who are all these player"s" and how many pick"s"? Are you talking about?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Draft pick"s" and player"s"? Who are all these player"s" and how many pick"s"? Are you talking about?

Sorry. I didn't realize you'd been in a coma for two decades. 

 

Before we get into what the Redskins have been doing, you need to familiarize yourself with these things called "smartphones". Also, you should be aware that Doogie Howser became a big deal for some reason.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

And this is how they get away with stuff like this. Somehow they sell fans on the notion that trading away draft picks and young players is the way to develop for the future. Two decades of failure and somehow it still works. 

 

You know what he most important step to developing young talent is? It's acquiring young talent. In the Family Feud version of that question the survey says about 93 points. Coaching would be number 2, btw. Spending assets on aging mentors didn't matter enough to make the board, sorry.

 

You want a guy to hold the fort and "groom" a youngster, go sign a Josh McCown or somebody. There's zero reason to believe Alex Smith helps young guys better than he would. Smith is here to keep the team going for that 9-7 level. That's the only reason he's here. "Grooming" young players is just the nonsense they rely on people buying into.

 

'The kid from Richmond' as well as the kid from Western Kentucky are actually two guys I would be really excited about. But it's ironic you bring him up, because I think at the moment (obviously a high probability that I'm wrong, and clearly subject to change) we'd need that 3rd round pick to get either of them.

 

Well to be fair I qualified my post.  I don't really expect us to do the right thing, but we'll see.  I'm going to give Doug a chance.

 

Would be fantastic if we could acquire a 2nd or a 3rd with a trade back.  I agree with you on those two QBs in the third round.  I think the Pats snatch the kid from Richmond at the end of the second, though.  That's their style.

 

This is a move, on it's face, that is awful for us.  But if we do certain things it'll be fine.  We don't even need to hit an inside straight, we just need to do the right thing and draft what we need to draft.

Edited by DC9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am definitely keeping Reed, he is insanely talented and Alex Smith needs him.

 

He is like a mini Gronk, just give us 10 full games a year, and that is still super production from the TE position

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DC9 said:

 

Well to be fair I qualified my post.  I don't really expect us to do the right thing, but we'll see.  I'm going to give Doug a chance.

 

Would be fantastic if we could acquire a 2nd or a 3rd with a trade back.  I agree with you on those two QBs in the third round.  I think the Pats snatch the kid from Richmond at the end of the second, though.  That's their style.

 

This is a move, on it's face, that is awful for us.  But if we do certain things it'll be fine.  We don't even need to hit an inside straight, we just need to do the right thing and draft what we need to draft.

You did qualify it, but the idea of things being "fine" is being fine in respect to constantly shooting for just above the middle, the 9-7 range. And I think I made myself clear on how I feel about that mentality.

 

Speaking of qualifications, it's along way tot he draft, so I'm not writing any of this is permanent marker just yet. But I tend to agree with you about Lauretta. The Patriots would have me a little spooked on him. Though I again am not to the point of deciding that it's he or White I really want to target. 

 

To be clear, btw- I don't think this trade's value is really determined by those kinds of rookies or where they get drafted. I just find it interesting, with a hint of troubling, that we traded a pick in the area where I think the sweet spot for QBs is going to be, while people are talking about this helping to "groom" the exact kind of QB that might go there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

11 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

You did qualify it, but the idea of things being "fine" is being fine in respect to constantly shooting for just above the middle, the 9-7 range. And I think I made myself clear on how I feel about that mentality.

 

Speaking of qualifications, it's along way tot he draft, so I'm not writing any of this is permanent marker just yet. But I tend to agree with you about Lauretta. The Patriots would have me a little spooked on him. Though I again am not to the point of deciding that it's he or White I really want to target. 

 

To be clear, btw- I don't think this trade's value is really determined by those kinds of rookies or where they get drafted. I just find it interesting, with a hint of troubling, that we traded a pick in the area where I think the sweet spot for QBs is going to be, while people are talking about this helping to "groom" the exact kind of QB that might go there. 

 

This is a "you never know" league these days.  Two of the final four didn't make the playoffs last year.  You just can't punt on a year any more. 

 

I'm under no illusion that, outside of everyone else getting injured and us catching lightning in a bottle at the same time, we'll do any better than "being in the discussion" or a playoff appearance or two at best. 

 

I do agree with you that it's frustrating to lose the pick, but at least a guy like Smith gets you a dude who can start for probably 3 years.  So getting a QB this year is not essential, even though you'd certainly love it.  Definitely one in the next two year and that's not even a question. 

 

I'd be bummed if we didn't get one that could be here for a couple of years (to be groomed before playing), but I'd be more bummed if we didn't draft the type of players we need to build the team up around whomever ends up being the heir apparent.

Edited by DC9
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

So are we literally not going to get anything for Cousins!? 

 

How are we literally the poorest ran franchise! And yes, lower than the Browns! 

SNY.0.gif

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Sorry. I didn't realize you'd been in a coma for two decades. 

 

Before we get into what the Redskins have been doing, you need to familiarize yourself with these things called "smartphones". Also, you should be aware that Doogie Howser became a big deal for some reason.....

 

Redskins behavior through the 00s has not been the same as through the 2010s

12 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

So are we literally not going to get anything for Cousins!? 

 

How are we literally the poorest ran franchise! And yes, lower than the Browns! 

 

that's actually very unlikely considering the contract Kirk's likely to get and the other FA the Skins are likely to lose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

So are we literally not going to get anything for Cousins!? 

 

How are we literally the poorest ran franchise! And yes, lower than the Browns! 

You mean no comp pick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Sorry. I didn't realize you'd been in a coma for two decades. 

 

Before we get into what the Redskins have been doing, you need to familiarize yourself with these things called "smartphones". Also, you should be aware that Doogie Howser became a big deal for some reason.....

Under Bruce? Or is he also responsible for the time he wasn't here?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anxious to see what WR's are available and which are franchised. Thinking Robinson is franchised which up's market for Landry and others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Emmanuel Sanders coming to the Skins, he’s a Tyreek Hill sort of guy that Smith would benefit from. Landry will be expensive and he’s not a big deep threat, Crowder is as serviceable as Landry with Doctson as our big jump guy. A healthy Reed, Crowder, Doctson and a guy like Sanders would be a solid WR core for Smith. 

Edited by maxspruill21
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Anxious to see what WR's are available and which are franchised. Thinking Robinson is franchised which up's market for Landry and others

 

Who is Robinson?

If you're talking about Richardson I would doubt it... they have 13 mil in cap space and the tag for a WR was 15 mil plus in 2017 - which means it's higher next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DC9 said:

 

Who is Robinson?

If you're talking about Richardson I would doubt it... they have 13 mil in cap space and the tag for a WR was 15 mil plus in 2017 - which means it's higher next year.

Allen Robinson, which is questionable as he is coming off injury and not playing in 2017. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

Allen Robinson, which is questionable as he is coming off injury and not playing in 2017. 

 

Ohhh.  Yeah I'd be surprised if we looked at him.  For whatever reason.  Outside of Garcon we don't really have a good track record of bringing in former AFC weapons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever we get at WR, we need a guy who can create separation.  Similar to Kirk, Smith is not all that good at throwing his WR's 50-50 balls, which makes the trade even more of a head-scratcher to me, since Gruden has complained about Kirk's lack of willingness to do that several times these last few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brice Butler seems like a fast guy who could be had without to much expense, but it seems like he's had some injury problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.