Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Below is a list of free agents to be for the 2018 season from sportrac.  Remember, some of these guys (probably most of the sexy names) will be re-signed by their clubs prior to the start of FA.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

Here are a list of the most important Redskins FA.

Offense:

Kirk Cousins

Spencer Long

Ryan Grant

Niles Paul

Bill Callahan (Offense Line Coach)

Defense:

Zach Brown

Mason Foster

Bash Breeland

Trent Murphy

RE-SIGNINGS:

Quinton Dunbar - CB - 1 January 2018

Kapri Bibbs - RB - 1 January 2018

Mason Foster - ILB - 25 January 2018

Deshazor Everett - S - 7 March 2018

Dustin Hopkins - K - 13 March 2018

Zach Brown - ILB - 15 March 2018

Brian Quick - WR - 16 March 2018

Phil Taylor - DL - 4 April 2018

Ty Nsehke - T - 16 April 2018

Tony Bergstrom - G/C - 16 April 2018

Shawn Lauvao - G - 4 May 2018

SIGNINGS:

Stephen Morris - QB - 2 January 2018 (Reserve/Futures)

Chris Bazile - TE - 2 January 2018 (Reserve/Futures)

Cassanova McKinzy - LB - 2 January 2018 (Reserve/Futures)

James Sample - DB - 2 January 2018 (Reserve/Futures)

Paul Richardson - WR - 13 March 2018

Sam Irwin-Hill - P - 15 March 2018

Orlando Scandrick - DB - 19 March 2018

Pernell McPhee - OLB - 26 March 2018

Isaiah Williams - G - 22 May 2018 

REDSKINS FAs WHO HAVE SIGNED ELSEWHERE:

Kirk Cousins - QB - Signs with the Vikings per Benjamin Allbright

Bash Breeland - CB - Signs with the Panthers

Spencer Long - C - Signs with the Jets

Trent Murphy - OLB - Signs with Bills

For us, we should re-sign:

Foster, Brown, Cousins, Grant, Callahan, Breeland.

Guys we could cut: 

Norman (not because of his play but rather his cap hit in conjunction with the depth and ability at CB)

Free Agent Signings:

Right now I’m not too sure. We need a lot of help. But if the rumors are true about Sherman, Chancellor and Thomas not being brought back in Seattle, I’d target one of the two safeties to pair with Swearinger. 

Depth players is the name of the game.  Here are some players that i think could be gotten cheap but still make an impact:

My free agent priority signing:

**John Brown from the Cardinals*** (Gonna be a steal for someone.  Health issues caused a down year this year, but explosive potential. I think he can have a huge comeback year with a better QB getting him the ball)

"With Brown on the field in 2015, Arizona threw for 3,831 yards and 24 touchdowns. Last season that number dipped to 2,324 and 15 touchdowns.

Without Brown in 2015 -- which wasn't often, just 91 snaps -- the Cardinals threw for 785 yards and 11 touchdowns. Last season, in 295 snaps without Brown, Arizona threw for 1,812 yards and 13 touchdowns.

When he is healthy Brown has no weaknesses according to fellow receiver Larry Fitzgerald. Palmer agreed.

He can run every route on the route tree. He can make the difficult catch. He can keep his feet in bounds on sideline plays. He can take a short pass and break it for a long gain.

"He's one of our better receivers," Palmer said. "And any time you lose that guy, things change. He means a ton to us."

The Cardinals' offense thrives when Brown is at his best, taking the top off defenses.

"When he's able to stretch the field like's capable of doing, it opens up everything," Fitzgerald said. "It opens up for David [Johnson] to run his choice runs, Jermaine [Gresham] running his ... routes. Me working the zones. It creates just so many more opportunities for his teammates.

Brown's impact on the run game was evident in 2015. With him on the field that season, Arizona ran for 1,511 yards and eight touchdowns, averaging 5.4 yards per carry on 298 carries. Last season with Brown on the field the Cardinals ran for 760 yards and six touchdowns, averaging 4.6 yards per carry.

A healthy Brown can make life tough for defensive coordinators.

Other bargain players I think could contribute:

Jeremy Hill from Bengals (Familiar with Gruden's system)

James White from Patriots (Pass catching back that seems to be expendable only due to their depth at the position)

Operating under the assumption Kirk and Brown re-sign (my two top priorities)...

I think I’d let Breeland, Foster, Nsheke, Galette and Murphy test the market.  I’d tell them all that we have some really tough decisions due to cap restraints, but that we’d really like to have them back.  See if they give us a chance to match.  If we can get any of them (relatively) cheap due to lack of interest, re-sign them.  

I’m just really not sure about Long, not real high on him in the run game.  On the flip side, he’d be (at the least) a good backup at C/G.  We certainly need depth at a minimum as well as someone that can compete to start. He checks that box... but then again, so does Bergstrom.  

I’d re-sign Grant.  Not for his talent, but his ability to back up all the receiver positions.  

Torn about trying to re-sign Taylor.  If we don’t land a capable NT in the draft, Taylor is a talented backup plan.  Given his injury history though, I’m wary of relying on him and potentially passing on someone else just for him to get reinjured.  

Priority FA signings - a TE that can block, and a talented receiver.  

Use the draft for (hopefully) starter/depth at dline, an olineman, a good running back, and try to add a good, all around TE (basically straight BPA).  Later round fliers at ILB, S, receiver, etc. 

Generally speaking, I want the starters pretty much set, capable vets (or maybe a high draft pick) as the backups, and guys with potential filling out the back end of the roster.  In other words, don’t bring back guys like Paul, Hall and Compton.  

Cousins, Long, Grant, Brown, Foster, Breeland, Hopkins - I'd try and bring them all back.

Cant say I'm holding out much hope that FA will hold the answers, doesn't look much out there of interest to me, need to have a better look. Would imagine Norwells name is mentioned a lot, can't see that being viable to us.

Bennie Logan - I would try and get him back in for a visit and pay him good money.

The list of expiring Redskins contracts for 2018, both Unrestricted, Restricted and Exclusive Rights. 

(my marks)
✅ =  try to re-sign
❌ =  do not actively re-sign 
 ?   =  maybe
PLAYER (24)
POS.
TO
2017 AAV
STATUS
MARKET VALUE
Kirk Cousins QB 29 WAS $23,943,600 UFA Market Value
Terrelle Pryor WR 28 WAS $6,000,000 UFA -
Shawn Lauvao G 30 WAS $4,250,000 UFA -
DeAngelo Hall CB 34 WAS $4,250,000 UFA -
Zach Brown ILB 28 WAS $2,300,000 UFA -
Niles Paul TE 28 WAS $2,000,000 UFA -
Will Compton ILB 28 WAS $1,797,000 UFA -
Mason Foster ILB 28 WAS $1,250,000 UFA -
Trent Murphy OLB 26 WAS $1,118,200 UFA -
Arthur Jones DT 31 WAS $900,000 UFA -
Chris Carter ILB 28 WAS $885,000 UFA -
Brian Quick WR 28 WAS $855,000 UFA -
Junior Galette OLB 29 WAS $800,000 UFA -
Tony Bergstrom C 31 WAS $775,000 UFA -
Phil Taylor DT 29 WAS $775,000 UFA -
Spencer Long C 27 WAS $715,950 UFA -
Ty Nsekhe ST 32 WAS $690,000 RFA -
Bashaud Breeland CB 25 WAS $676,500 UFA -
Kapri Bibbs RB 24 WAS $615,000 RFA -
Ryan Grant WR 26 WAS $608,403 UFA -
Dustin Hopkins K 27 WAS $600,000 UFA -
Quinton Dunbar CB 25 WAS $525,000 RFA -
Deshazor Everett S 25 WAS $525,000 RFA -
Tyler Catalina T 24 WAS $465,000 ERFA -

Definitely a few where it's been back and forth between yes or no. Galette being one, Foster, Phil Taylor another, and a choice between Bergstrom or Long, it can't be both, or neither.

Free Agent Targets 2018:

Defense         1st choice                                                     2nd option                                   3rd op

1. CB:  Kyle Fuller                ||                      ||                       ||

2. SAF: Tre Boston - FS            ||   LaMarcus Joyner    ||   Kemal Ishmael       ||   Tavon Wilson

3. ILB: Jon Bostic                 ||                      ||                       ||

4. DL:  Beau Allen                 ||   Dontari Poe        ||   Justin Ellis        ||

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Offense          1st choice

1. OL: Andrew Norwell - LG         ||   Patrick Omameh     ||   Brian Schwenke      ||

2. OL: Seantrel Henderson - SOT    ||   James Hurst        ||   Ty Nsekhe re-sign   ||

3. RB: Carlos Hyde                 ||                      ||                       ||

4. TE: Crockett Gillmore           ||                      ||                       ||

Stacking priority:

1. Andrew Norwell 

2. Tre Boston 

3. Jon Bostic 

4. Kyle Fuller 

5. Seantrel Henderson 

6. Carlos Hyde 

7. Beau Allen 

8. Crockett Gillmore

PLAYER (x)
POS.
TO
2017 AAV
STATUS
MARKET VALUE
Andrew Norwell LG 26 CAR $2,746,000 UFA -
Tre Boston FS 25 LAC $900,000 UFA Market Value
Jon Bostic ILB 26 IND $690,000 UFA -
Kyle Fuller CB 25 CHI $2,421,751 UFA -
Seantrel Henderson SOT 25 BUF $567,720 UFA -
Carlos Hyde RB 26 SF $920,420 UFA Market Value
Beau Allen DT 26 PHI $570,562 UFA -
Crockett Gillmore TE 26 BAL $681,504 UFA -

Signed Brown and Foster, everyone else is trash.

Figure out a way to get rid of Reed and use the $5M in cap savings for an impact D line player.

Take a look at Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, or  Paul Richardson at WR (maybe 2 of the 3).

On the D line look at Sheldon Richardson, Poe, and Logan, possibly Clayborn.

Use the draft to fill in the gaps left open by Free Agency.

The thing about adding a FA TE that can help the run game is that 1) it opens up the possibility of trading Reed before, or during, the draft, and 2) it alleviates (what I see as) the need to spend a (early-mid) pick on a TE.  

With that said, I’d love to find our Hunter Henry in the draft.  Being able to run 1 TE sets with a guy that can aid the run and pass game would be huge. Right up there with a dynamic receiver in terms of providing a positive impact on the offense.  Considering I’m penciling Roullier in at C, LG and then running back would be my next needs on O.  

Unfortunately, I’m not sure the FO is going to be keen on spending an early round pick on TE with Davis and Reed in the fold.  Hope I’m wrong.  

Re-sign

Cousins

Brown

Foster

Long

Grant

Gallette

Callahan

FA (Longshot they don't stay at their current teams admittedly)

Bennie Logan

John Brown

Carlos Hyde

Would also talk to Norman about a restructure on his deal, think he would be amenable and that would help a lot with getting the above done.  Restructures can be the road to purgatory as the Saints learned the hard way but used wisely they can help a lot with building a team and Norman's desire to win should mean this is not hard to do.

Does anybody remember Foster being pretty mad that they IRed him, and saying something about SM wouldn't have done him dirty or something?  I kinda remember that thinking that re-signing him is a long-shot. 

I think that one thing you have to think about when re-signing guys is that there are a lot of "good" guys we can re-sign.  However this is at best (minus injuries) a 10-6 roster, more likely 9-7.   They need to replace some "good" with some "great" if they are going to take the next step.  NOTE: This is better than it has been in a while, so step in the right direction.

I made a point in the Cousins thread, my plans for FA and the draft would be VERY different based on what happens to Cousins. The way I see it, there are 3 possible options:

1. Cousins signs a LTD.  In this case, you have a little time to continue to build the roster.  You don't have to be super-aggressive, but you need to upgrade WR, TE, RB, OG on offense for sure. 

2. Cousins plays on the tag.  In this case, I would be SUPER aggressive in FA and the draft.  If Cousins is on the tag, this means he has turned down a LTD (assuming one was offered), and you are probably getting the last year of legitimate QB play for a while.  So, load up and go for it.  Some would say you should draft a QB to replace Cousins.  I say "screw that."  If you've only got him for 1 more year, then you go all-in and try to win it all.  Probably doesn't work, but might as well give it a shot before you are back looking for a QB.  

3. Cousins is allowed to walk out the door.   In this case, the first priority now becomes QB.  Either you draft one, trade for one or sign one through FA. 

Also, depending on what happens to Kirk, that determines your budget for everything else.

As an aside, no matter which option is chosen, I would do the following with re-signing players:

Kirk Cousins QB 29 WAS Yes see 45,763 page thread
Zach Brown ILB 28 WAS Yes Best ILB since Fletch
Mason Foster ILB 28 WAS Yes If he will come back
Ty Nsekhe LT 32 WAS Yes Very good depth
Bashaud Breeland CB 25 WAS Yes If you can afford him, wouldn’t break the bank
Dustin Hopkins K 27 WAS Yes Compete for job
Quinton Dunbar CB 25 WAS Yes Good depth
Deshazor Everett CB 25 WAS Yes Good depth
Terrelle Pryor WR 28 WAS No Not worth it
Shawn Lauvao G 30 WAS No Old
DeAngelo Hall CB 34 WAS No Old
Niles Paul TE 28 WAS No Old
Will Compton ILB 28 WAS No Not good
Trent Murphy OLB 26 WAS No Not a difference maker coming off of injury and PEDs
Junior Galette OLB 29 WAS No The time has passed
Tony Bergstrom C 31 WAS No JAG
Ryan Grant WR 26 WAS No Too tempting for Gruden to play him
Tyler Catalina T 24 WAS No Bad
Arthur Jones DT 31 WAS Maybe - Depth JAG
Chris Carter ILB 28 WAS Maybe - Depth JAG
Brian Quick WR 28 WAS Maybe - Depth JAG
Phil Taylor DT 29 WAS Maybe - Depth Why not?
Spencer Long C 27 WAS Maybe - Depth Prefer new starter, but he's ok
Kapri Bibbs RB 24 WAS Maybe - Depth Too early to tell

Everyone wants to continue the band aide way of rebuilding when it’s never worked and really buIld this the right way. The goal is continued success. Like above any sort of short cut thinking needs to be banned.

Bandaid fixes never ever work for us and the thought process needs to be avoided at all costs.

I would 

Dump Kirk, Reed, Davis, Norman either for picks or out right release. Clearing them off the books would be a massive step in the right direction. I would throw the cap room at retaining our own guys and would avoid any outside the organization players unless extremely cheap until after the draft and then get some more cheap one year rentals.

As for our own guys I’m bringing back Brown, Breeland, for sure. I’d go ahead and front load some second contracts this year to get them off the books early and manage the cap space for future seasons.

Doing this should result in at least two maybe three separate third round compensatory picks this year. 

In the draft I would deploy the 2012 strategy and with our first pick choose the best available QB and then with one of the later picks double down on another QB selection.

With the other picks I’m looking at what specific positions cost the most and drafting those like corner and offensive line. I’d avoid the cheap plug and play positions like RB and the too hard to predict like receiver. I’m also calling other teams and seeing what players are available for draft picks and possibly trading for someone during the draft.

The message I give to the fans about the 2018 season is this was a year of rebuilding. I would be honest with them and flat out say that we needed to get younger and not cripple ourselves to players who are right now guys when we aren’t winning anything right now. I’d pump up the two QBs and say open season competition with them and the best man was gonna start and go from there. The teams fans are smart they can handle a rebuild.

yea I know that’s a pipe dream for this team and will never happen but that’s exactly what should be done unless your a believer that 8-8 is the goal every year

4 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Everyone wants to continue the band aide way of rebuilding when it’s never worked and really buIld this the way you can continued success. Bandaid fixes never ever work for us and the thought process needs to be avoided

I would 

Dump Kirk, Reed, Davis, Norman either for picks or out right release. Clearing them off the books would be a massive step in the right direction. I would throw the cap room at retaining our own guys and would avoid any outside the organization players unless extremely cheap until after the draft and then get some more cheap one year rentals.

As for our own guys I’m bringing back Brown, Breeland, for sure. I’d go ahead and front load some second year contracts this year to get them off the books early and manage the cap space. 

Doing this should result in at least two maybe three separate third round compensatory picks this year. 

In the draft I would deploy the 2012 strategy and with our first pick choose the best available QB and then with one of the later picks double down on another QB selection. With the other picks I’m looking at what specific positions cost the most and drafting those like corner and offensive line. I’d avoid the cheap plug and play positions like RB and the too hard to predict like receiver

The message I give to the fans about the 2018 season is this was a year of rebuilding. I would be honest with them and flat out say that we needed to get younger and not cripple ourselves to Kirk going forward. I’d pump up the two QBs and say open season competition with them and the best man was gonna start and go from there

yea I know that’s a pipe dream for this team and will never happen but that’s exactly what should be done unless your a believer that 8-8 is the goal every year

Unless Doug Williams turns out to be fricking Rain Man in the draft this is a sure fire recipe for spending the next few years competing in the basement with the Browns.  I get the need to be aggressive but starting over at QB is a lottery, there is no sure thing and that stupid Browns shirt tells you all you need to know about how long it can take to find your guy.  I also would not move Norman out, he actually has played pretty well despite being hurt for a big part of the season and again you won't replace his level of ability straight away through the draft so you either go backwards or blow money in FA trying to get someone similar. 

28 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Unless Doug Williams turns out to be fricking Rain Man in the draft this is a sure fire recipe for spending the next few years competing in the basement with the Browns.  I get the need to be aggressive but starting over at QB is a lottery, there is no sure thing and that stupid Browns shirt tells you all you need to know about how long it can take to find your guy.  I also would not move Norman out, he actually has played pretty well despite being hurt for a big part of the season and again you won't replace his level of ability straight away through the draft so you either go backwards or blow money in FA trying to get someone similar. 

To the point about QBs being gambles part of this to me is true and part of that risk can be midigated like they did in 2012 and double down on two guys. Doubling our chances to find the guy we need only can help our chances.

Also not to derail this topic anyone thinking that resigning Kirk is also not a gamble and a risk isn’t paying attention. If your damned if you do and if you don’t then it’s time to move on. It would nice to see Jay who I’m a strong believer in getting his QB choice as well

Most everyone understands that this team has a lot of “good” players but is lacking any “great” players. 

The team due to lacking a competent front office has yet to really establish an identity. Do they want to have a great offense or a great defense? Year over year they can’t decide so we find them trying to plug holes with journeymen players which doesn’t amount to much. Team identity must be defined and then the plan must be executed. Based on the youth on the team I’m a believer that the defense is closer to being great then the offense is and would make that the cornerstone of the team and concentrate on it more

I would have a plan for every player on the team and anyone over 30 would have to go. Norman is 30 and has to go. He costs too much for a team that only won 14 games the past two seasons. Others like him over 30 like Hall won’t be in the plans three years from now so they have to go too. That’s just business.

If it means doing that open up issues on the team then that position becomes a priority for the draft. Doesn’t mean I can look at a single player in the draft and say Norman can be replaced by <insert name here> and not see a drop off, no one can. But if I’m a middling middle of the road team going nowhere what good are 30 year old expensive players to me?

It makes more sense to embrace a rebuild then to ignore that. Not to sound age discriminatory older players could play here but for cheap only. As we’ve seen this year injuries happen all the time so if you have invested a million on a guy and he gets injured or 18 million and he gets injured which hurts more? 

They have done it the way they thought could be bandaided in the past and it provided losing season after losing season. They have never embraced a true rebuild which if done earlier would have avoided so many seasons we’ve had of losing years. How many wins does Norman or any of the guys I think should be gone account for? They are paid way more then they account for wins so it’s not money well spent.

I know that the common belief last offseason was the JETS were tanking and no one believed they could win 5 games this year. But they did anyway and are in much much better shape today after doing a purge then they would have been trying to bandaid something together again like we always do. Last year the Giants were said to have won the offseason and a year later they are a joke of a team. The Ravens, Steelers, Patriots never win the offseason but win every year regardless.

The only team that ever won an offseason and it do anything for them was the year the Broncos got Peyton Manning and Demarcus Ware and won the Super Bowl. Now they are a losing team and terrible. We don’t have the cap space to go all in for one season with Kirk on the tag and add difference makers enough to do that. That’s not a choice

So to me either it means they aim for hoping for 8-8 and keep things the same or they rebuild and hope for greatness. We’ve done it one way before and it’s time to try the other way 

56 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I'll just say our versions of pipe dreams are wildly different.

One thing I find interesting is that you admit the FO is bad, yet you want them to scrap all the good things we have going, and allow them to attempt a true rebuild.  That's insane.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'll just say our versions of pipe dreams are wildly different.

One thing I find interesting is that you admit the FO is bad, yet you want them to scrap all the good things we have going, and allow them to attempt a true rebuild.  That's insane.

Where did I say the FO is bad? I would say that the past few drafts have gone well for them, that there has been several players coming out of nowhere that produced better then expected, and that my issue with the FO is there insistance on not playing a long game and instead always looking for shortcuts.

Besides my dislike of Dan and Bruce the issue to me with the office is the continued false belief that we are closer to sustained success then we really are. Is this team the way it’s constructed closer to 12 wins or 4 wins? Clearly we know the answer to that. Since it’s the lower number then why they won’t embrace a rebuild only comes down to money

They think since Redskins fans are diehards that they can sign a few shiny new pieces and that’s all they need to do to fill up the stadium and sell the merch. This has been going on for years even decades and resulted in nothing. Dan has to understand that the fans deserve making the right but tough decisions and building this thing right and that takes more then one seasn.

The reason I don’t think this happens ever is bottom line they want asses in seats more then anything 

34 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Besides my dislike of Dan and Bruce the issue to me

Those are the guys with the final say.  So I don't see how there is a "besides" anything about it.  The buck stops with them.  This year more than ever since they won't be working off Scot's notes for a change. 

34 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Is this team the way it’s constructed closer to 12 wins or 4 wins? Clearly we know the answer to that.

I agree, its clear as crystal.  So since we are closer to 12 wins -- why bother with a weird rebuild out of nowhere?  They won the division in 2015, came one game from making the playoffs in 2016.  And this year has just been as hapless as it can get -- with an insanely large number of injuries coupled with the toughest schedule in the NFL.  They still likely finish at 8 at 8 with a team that's a skeleton of what they started with.

Even Redskins hater, Skip Bayless thought early in the season before the injuries the Redskins played the best football at that point in the NFL.  Get the O line healthy.  Get the defense back to what they were when Jonathan Allen, Nicholson, Foster were healthy.  Jordan Reed and Chris Thompson, etc.  Hopefully, add another good draft and a couple of smart signings.  And we should be a force.

I get your rebuilding point.  But to me that point pertained to what Shanny inherited in 2010 or maybe Jay in 2014.  The idea IMO belongs back in that time machine -- its not pertinent to now.

I really think the rebuilding part should be close to done.  It's not, but it should be.

Yes, I understand how poor our roster has been, but for me, this next year is make or break for everyone.

I really think this team had a nasty disposition this year.  The injuries were such a pain and really derailed what was a promising season.  Add some more to that up the middle of the defense (another DT, hopefully the kid from UGA in the draft cause he is just ridiculous nasty at ILB, and a Safety to go with Swearinger) and some NFL-caliber weapons on offense and we can play with anyone.

7 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I really think the rebuilding part should be close to done.  It's not, but it should be.

Yes, I understand how poor our roster has been, but for me, this next year is make or break for everyone.

I really think this team had a nasty disposition this year.  The injuries were such a pain and really derailed what was a promising season.  Add some more to that up the middle of the defense (another DT, hopefully the kid from UGA in the draft cause he is just ridiculous nasty at ILB, and a Safety to go with Swearinger) and some NFL-caliber weapons on offense and we can play with anyone.

I get what you’re saying and I agree.

With that said, a lot of NFL teams could say similar.

Archived