Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

1 minute ago, Cooked Crack said:

Complaining about gerrymanders? The real assult on democracy strikes again!

It's the only reason the GOP didn't lose 50+ seats. Wisconsin, Ohio and NC are insanely partisan gerrymandered and it was a shame, though not surprising, that the SCOTUS didn't put an end to it. It's terrible for democracy. 

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Not sure. I was not paying that much attention until it became an ‘issue’ which then held us all up for about 5 minutes while she argued with the check out operator.

She was definitely asked for ID though.

I see we've gone from "Trump claims that you need to show ID to buy groceries (and therefore legislating that people who don;t have ID are legally prohibited from voting is moral)" to "I once saw a woman buying groceries with a credit card asked for ID".  

36 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I THINK what’s he referring to is if you use a credit card (as opposed to debit card) some stores will ask for ID.

A women in front of me in the line at Safeway was asked. After a huge load had been checked through. Needless to say she had no ID on her.

I always thought there was a chance that's what he was talking about. But it's more fun to give him ****. 

But being honest, when I was a cashier I was taught to always ask for ID if it's a credit card or if the debut card did have a sig on the back. I was since then never been asked for ID, even when using other peoples card who are obviously not me (I dont look like a doris) and I always though it was odd. 

43 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I THINK what’s he referring to is if you use a credit card (as opposed to debit card) some stores will ask for ID.

A women in front of me in the line at Safeway was asked. After a huge load had been checked through. Needless to say she had no ID on her.

I know you are trying to put actual thought into this, but he's the President, he should need people trying to splice together reasons for how what he said isn't totally ignorant and false.

He said "You know, if you go out and you want to buy groceries, you need a picture on a card, you need ID."  He did not mention or refer to any type of payment device or any particular type of grocery.  He's just bull****ting because said bull**** helps Donald Trump if people buy it.  

What he actually said has zero truth to it.  If he had added words indicating that one was buying certain types of items (like alcohol) or buying them with a particular payment device, then that would have had some truth.  But he didn't.  He made a false if/then statement:  "if you go out and you want to buy groceries, you need a picture on a card."  That is 100% false.

14 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

What he actually said has zero truth to it.  I

No. Accuracy and facts matter both ways.

There is SOME truth in what he said. That might have been by accident, he may have wildly overstated the facts, it might be a meaningless comparison. But it was and is not a complete fabrication.

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

There is SOME truth in what he said. That might have been by accident, he may have wildly overstated the facts, it might be a meaningless comparison. But it was and is not a complete fabrication.

I'm sorry, but no.  There would be truth to what he said if and only if you add in some assumptions about what he meant and assume that he meant something reasonable (which is a silly assumption at this point nearly 2 years into his tenure).  He said you need an ID to buy groceries.  You don't.  I personally bought groceries without an ID yesterday.  I'll probably to it again on Saturday.  Hell, yesterday I bought alcohol and didn't need an ID (which isn't a great sign, but still).   Facts do matter.  What he said is entirely false, please, everyone should stop making excuses for the freaking POTUS' statements with post hoc gymnastics about what he meant. 

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Come on, stop.  He said you need id to buy a box of cereal.  

11 minutes ago, visionary said:

Come on, stop.  He said you need id to buy a box of cereal.  

And if you do that with a credit card there is at least a chance you will need ID. We heard from Levon earlier who worked checkout who said that is exactly what he was trained to ask for with credit card and check payments.

This defending Donald Trump thing is somewhat surreal. There is a TON of other stuff he says which has zero basis in any kind of fact. This very specific thing does not seem to be one of those things.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

He makes so much crap up it was inevitable at some point he would make something up which actually has a germ of truth to it.

Only in the sense of that's what passes for truth in out national political discussion now days.  

"Well, if you take what he said, you can create a different statement that's kinda close to what he said.  And then create a statement that's kinda close to that one.  And eventually, you can create a chain of statements that are all kind of close to each other, that leads from what he said, to something that's actually true.  And then, you can also do the same thing, to get from what he said, to his actual position.  And then, you'll have a chain of statements that are all kinda similar to the previous one, leading from his position to actual reality." is what passes for "a true statement" 

13 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Trump:  Gravity is not a real thing.

Everyone:  Yes it is.

@MartinC:  Well, there is a kernel of truth to that because you could be in space or possibly in an alternate dimension that doesn't have gravity.  That's probably what he meant

;)

So weird, some places require ID for credit card transactions, some dont.  Depends on location more then overall company policy, namely where you think the most fraud will be.  In some cases, it jus jus straight up profiling, seen it with my own eyes.  This is not to defend anyone, jus thought I would add that as someone who supports voter ID laws and also knows Trump will say whatever it takes to look right when hes wrong.  His benefit of the doubt was gone a long time ago.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

So weird, some places require ID for credit card transactions, some dont.  Depends on location more then overall company policy, namely where you think the most fraud will be.  In some cases, it jus jus straight up profiling, seen it with my own eyes.  This is not to defend anyone, jus thought I would add that as someone who supports voter ID laws and also knows Trump will say whatever it takes to look right when hes wrong.  His benefit of the doubt was gone a long time ago.

Did Trump say anything about credit cards?  He didn't?  He just said you need an ID to buy cereal, right?  Then why is anyone assuming that's what he meant?

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Did Trump say anything about credit cards?  He didn't?  He just said you need an ID to buy cereal, right?  Then why is anyone assuming that's what he meant?

I'm not assuming anything, hes intentionally being vague and hoping we figure it out and keep his point in tact.  It's like watching someone lie twice at the same time, inception level lying

When I was processing payments for people, I always liked 

1)  The people who write "See ID" on their credit card, next to the words "Not valid unless signed".  And then hand me the card which literally states, on the card, that it's not valid, without ID, and wait to see if I ask them for it, and then start to take it out.  

2)  The people who leave their signature blank (have I mentioned the words "not valid unless signed"?), and tell me "Oh, I never sign my credit card.  For security."  

Archived