Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: Skins/Eagles Monday Night Football

KDawg

Hello humanoids.

As I sit here in the airport awaiting my flight to sunny Philadelphia, I have been contemplating the keys to the game. Very short and concise thoughts to begin with. 

If you dont want to watch the video, it’s simple: The running game. Can it get itself going? It was stymied/not utilized in week one and it led to the Eagles controlling the pace.

key inactives:

Kendricks, Darby for Philly.

Norman, Everett for Skins.

Note:

Be sure to check the quarter by quarter threads

I agree the run game needs to happen. I just hope it's not a blunt force approach where we see three-and-outs for the first several possessions where it's run-run-pass-punt. If we want to get the run going we'll need to be a bit creative. I hope the script includes a good mix of pass/run, and isn't as predictable as I worry it might be. Hail.

If its better to run directly at Fletcher ****ing Cox, vs pass on DBs #4 or #5 on their depth chart, color me wonderfully surprised. I think we will be doing something somewhat new tonight, RBs by committee. A big early tell of Jays game plan will be if we have 4 backs active. #FreeMack.

Running may be key, but the timely abandoning of it, may also be key.  There are only so many times one will run into a brickwall before their head hurts. The backbone of the WCO is the short pass which is supposed to replace the run. We should be able to pass.  Should.

I want an early crowd silencing TD drive, with a diverse mix of run and pass.  Whatever Jay does, I want him to have some surprises included. He will likely plan on Kelley between the tackles 10 times in the first half but I want power and OL at speed in space as a priority, too.  I want to see play action, lets use Kirk to his strengths. How about the near extinct flea flicker. Get some fake reverses to get on tape during Kelley IZs to see if they are covering it. Roll Kirk out right if 7 step drops has him under duress. Screen CT or Perine if run and pass blitzing is the norm.

And specifically, target their scabby DBs. Unleash Grant on those punks. They should be woefully unprepared for his precision routes. 

The point is, we have to establish the run game. That doesn’t mean pound it at all costs. It means it needs to be enough of a threat to allow us to exploit their DBs by slowing down the pass rush with playaction and a good running game.

Run at Cox. Make him the point of attack. Get two bodies on him. Beat him up a little. Thus, slow down his pass rush as he braces to anchor.

Its about establishing the run to allow the pass to excel tonight.

Also, with Norman out it’s imperative that we control the clock. People keep bringing up Wentz, as they should, but it’s his weapon, Mr. Jeffrey, that scares me. Bash at 100% could defend him serviceably. Bash at 80% is more questionable. Establishing clock eating drives and a rhythm offensively will help Bash or Dunbar significantly control Alshon.

Darby, Smallwood and Kendricks are all on their injury report. Kendricks always seems to have big games against us. My guess is they all suit up. But we’ll see.

This is the week to throw balance out the window. The Eagles are strong vs. the run, we suck at running it and have a banged up starting RB. Meanwhile they suck at defending the pass and we have an elite franchise QB. Gonna need Cousins to throw it 35+ times and put up 28+ points to win.

Well tonight's the night!  We will see where we are truly at!  I want the Eagles to come out playing lights out football.  I want them to give us their best shot so if we beat them, our confidence as a team will skyrocket to a whole different level, we put the league on notice that we are a contender, and we kill any doubt that we are for real.

It will be a tough task but I believe we can do it.

This is the week to throw balance out the window. The Eagles are strong vs. the run, we suck at running it and have a banged up starting RB. Meanwhile they suck at defending the pass and we have an elite franchise QB. Gonna need Cousins to throw it 35+ times and put up 28+ points to win.

I strongly disagree with this sentiment. We did that week one and it didn’t help. We NEED the run game. It doesn’t have to be killer, but it needs to be legit.

now there are different ways to accomplish that. Early passing to open the run up and running to open the pass, along with balanced ratios with an unbalanced tendency towards situations are all possibilities. But if we go one dimensional... that’s where Philly wants us. Cousins will be under heavy pressure.

Maaaaan....

I've got my DVR set to record the game but I'm still feeling a little sick because for the 1st time in almost 15 years I won't be tuning into a non preseason game as it's happening. Come to think of it the last time it happened was a Philly game during TO's first year with the Eagles.

Unfortunately I bought VIP tickets to Mastadon way back in June before I knew the Redskins were on a Monday Nighter. I'll be keeping off social media and speed watching it as soon as I get home. Go Redskins!!!

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I agree with everything you posted, but you said KC is elite?

I live in philly and they feel its a done deal and they super bowl bound.  I'm hoping they overlooking us.   I think the early series will determine things.  If our D can hold early and get in their heads, they will make mistakes.  We need to control the ball.  If they score early and it's a shootout we loose.   

My heart says  we win 27-24.    

if we go against our tendencies and try the short passing game to set up the run, i think that may work..  but we can't get away from our running game cause then play action won't work..  we also need to keep our defense off the field which means we need to control the clock.  can't afford any more injuries either.  if Trent aggravates his knee where we have to insert our 3rd string swing tackle, we need to get a TE over there to help - even if it's simply to chip..  run some draws out of the spread too which i haven't seen us do a lot..  on D, i hope Lanier is ready where he and Ioannidis can get a good push up the middle to collapse the pocket.  we're going to need Kerrigan and Smith wreack some havoc in their backfield and contain Wentz.  No stupid offsides penalties..  Refs not be a factor.   Overall, this game has the makings of a slober-knocker and you know that stadium is going to be live..  We do have a chance but things need to fall in place..  Would love for us to blow them out but a nail-biter will probably be more like it...

The Eagles defense is going to bring pressure to try and rattle Cousins.  Jay Gruden will need to design a plan to counter the pressure.  Have plays in the hip pocket and hot route audibles ready & available for Kirk to throw to.

The Eagles stop the run well, the 'Skins don't run the ball particularly well. I don't expect to see much different in this game.  Doesn't mean they shouldn't try, but they can't get caught up in running the ball for running the ball's sake.  Use the short passing game to Thompson & Crowder as an extension of the running game.

Call me crazy, but I am not as worried about our defense as a lot seem to be.  The 'Skins defense did a decent job the first game. Wentz made an all-pro play on a should-have-been sack which resulted in a TD, and the offense couldn't get out of it's own way the first quarter and a half in the opener.

It is going to be a tight divisional battle.

Lets go 'Skins!

Archived