Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins @ Chiefs: outsiders perspective

JRobinson

Fist I'll say this: y'all should be proud of your team overall.  Seriously, y'all fought tooth and nail to the finish and that was impressive. 

Offense:  So a big deal is this, y'all were very good and very consistent up front.  And yes, Cousins made some plays with his legs when the play called for it, but the offensive line did really well from what I could tell.  

Sucks that Kelly went out with an ankle because he started pretty strong when given the chance.  Sure, there were a couple of plays where he was stopped, but he was finding room to run early.   I didn't check up on it, but hopefully his ribs didn't play a factor in his departure. To me, it looks like Kelly is the better option at this point than Perine (that fumble was costly).  I don't dislike Perine, but he showed that we was a "rookie" last night,  and until he shows more consistency, he will continue to be used as such. 

Really like what the TEs did.  Kinda would have liked to see them a touch more involved in the gameplan because they were getting open a lot.  Even on the play to Doctson, Reed had a couple steps on the corner on the fly route.  

Pryor continues to show the explosive plays, but also the lack of execution at times.  Talk about a guy who doesn't use his frame to make plays... gosh.  Simple slant route where the ball is delivered a little in front of him, but very catchable, and the guy just sticks an arm out there.  Dude needs to "go get" the dang ball yo; however that happens.  It would have been a big play given the field position if that third down was converted, but more importantly it would have moved the chains.  Again, overall the receiver group performed well enough to win IMO.  

I  just want to say a few words about the  Doctson ordeal.  Should the guy have made the play? As a professional, yes.  But I don't think it's fair to run the guy in the ground over it.  A young guy in a big moment, and he fails to convert.  It was a huge opportunity; not just for him, for for the team.  I'm not giving him a pass, but he knows he screwed up, he knows the circumstances that he botched.  I don't think it's fair, or right to place blame on him for the loss. No, that blame goes to the Defense, which leads me to my next observation. 

Wanna know why the Skins lost?  Mental mistakes on the defensive side of the ball.  Not just one, multiple.  This wasn't about the defense failing to make plays, because they made plays, and laid the wood on a lot of em.  That bunch played physical football, and I gaurentee the Chiefs are loaded up in the training room in the ice baths.  No, tackling and making plays wasn't the problem.  The "lined up in the neutral zone" and "hands to the face" and "defensive holding" and so on.... this is why the loss occurred.  Y'all beat yourselves; period.  Sure the Chiefs made some plays, they are a good team, that's what good teams do. But y'all made just as many if not more.  

There is no doubt that this is a painful loss.  Cousins played well, and is making a strong case to be retained. Heck, everyone played well if you really look at it. But the mental aspect of sports is just as important as the physical aspect, sometimes more.  

At the end of the day, as I said, y'all should be proud of your team. 

* hopefully ALL the injuries y'all had (wow it was a lot); turn out positive.  Norman wasn't a huge loss in this game IMO, but he'd be huge is it's for an extended amount of time. 

Nice post and most of all thanks to the Rams for beating the Cowboys, always makes a loss a bit more palatable.

Agree with the mental mistakes, have to include Gruden's rushed timeout as a mental blunder too.  Hoping Doctson takes this growth opportunity, a humbling moment from which he can build, he has the ups that is for sure.

Here is an alarming stat.  Points the Chiefs scored with Norman on the field? 0.  Points they scored when Norman left the game? 23.

Luckily it sounds like Norman will only be out 2 weeks, one of which is the bye week, the other vs. the 49ers.

Norman's ability to shut down the primary WR changes this defense. Once Norman left the game, the defense no longer had extra resources to dedicate to covering Kelce and the secondary got chewed up over and over in the middle of the field.

46 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Here is an alarming stat.  Points the Chiefs scored with Norman on the field? 0.  Points they scored when Norman left the game? 23.

Luckily it sounds like Norman will only be out 2 weeks, one of which is the bye week, the other vs. the 49ers.

Norman's ability to shut down the primary WR changes this defense. Once Norman left the game, the defense no longer had extra resources to dedicate to covering Kelce and the secondary got chewed up over and over in the middle of the field.

No kidding.  It was huge when he left, but still if Breeland and Smith got their heads out of the collective you know what we win this one.  Way too many penalties and silly ones at that.  I expect much better from both of them.  Also that horse collar penalty when we had him for a sure loss or no gain was a total killer.  I believe the Chiefs had 3 or 4 first downs on 3rd downs which if not for the penalties they would have punted.  That is huge, and it cost the D their energy.

Not sure why our fans are all up in arms today and acting like sore losers today.  We weren't supposed to win the game anyway.  I had us at 2-2 going into the bye with this schedule.  We played well enough to win, but against a team like the Chiefs, we couldn't make mistakes.  Against the Niners?  Sure, we probably win that game. We went into their house, in primetime and almost pulled out a victory.  Nothing to be ashamed about and we shouldn't blame Doctson.

Good assessment JRobinson.

We're getting better and trending up.  Keep playing this way like we have for the last 3 weeks and we'll win more games then we'll lose.

Stat that sticks out.  Skins only had the ball for 22 minutes.  Chiefs 38.  Defense played well, considering they were on the field for 2/3rds of the game and still only gave up 23.

3 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Not sure why our fans are all up in arms today and acting like sore losers today.  We weren't supposed to win the game anyway.  I had us at 2-2 going into the bye with this schedule. 

Big picture you are probably right, however we've seen this act by the team before where moral victories against tough teams are followed by losses to bad teams.  The 'Skins have a bye coming up for much needed rest and then they host the 49ers, who very well could be 0-5 when they fly to DC.   The game has trap written all over it, especially since they have a showdown against the Eagles in Philly on MNF the following week and I guarantee you some of this extra prep time is going to be dedicated to game planning a division opponent.

For me the 49ers game is just as much a test for a trending up team as the Chiefs.  If Washington wants to be considered as good as we think they are, they will go out and take the 49ers behind the woodshed and steam roll them.  

Thanks for the unbiased perspective JRob, and thanks for sticking around.  We were our own worst enemy in this game, I agree.  It's as if we are learning how to win, and what not to do, to lose.  We a like a kid learning how to ride a bike; it takes time, courage, bumps & bruises. Josh broke a rib and they are saying a couple of weeks.  I'm just glad, in a way, he did not aggravate his old shoulder injury.  It was just 1 rib so maybe ready for San Fran.  I wish we could rest him but there are no gimme's in the NFL now. Should be A-ok for Philly though, which will be a critical game in the NFC East.  We shall see.  Good luck the rest of the way.  I'll keep watching you because I enjoy watching your coach evolve.  He's going to be a good one.  Enjoy!  Hail   

Thanks for the kind words, JRob, you've got a great future with mcvay as your head coach. I was especially impressed with him the last year with the redskins, but man, what a job he's done with the rams offense in such a limited time. 

I'd say the Rams went from second most hated to second least hated in my NFL ranking, in my book,  since y'all got rid of that POS Fisher. Best of luck. 

15 minutes ago, skinsfan999 said:

I'd say the Rams went from second most hated to second least hated in my NFL ranking, in my book,  since y'all got rid of that POS Fisher. Best of luck. 

I actually feel very similar to this.  I remember telling him that "I don't like the Rams" and have come around on that.  They are a fun team to watch.  The other team I have a fondness for is the Packers.  History, tradition, and love watching Aaron.  

4 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Not sure why our fans are all up in arms today and acting like sore losers today.  We weren't supposed to win the game anyway. 

Are you kidding me ?!!!

Who gives a damn about what we were "supposed" to do.   All that matters is what happens in between those lines.  We weren't "supposed" to beat the Raiders either.

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Are you kidding me ?!!!

Who gives a damn about what we were "supposed" to do.   All that matters is what happens in between those lines.  We weren't "supposed" to beat the Raiders either.

Wow. You sound like me a few years ago. I just don't get that riled up anymore. Only two teams have gone an entire regular season undefeated in NFL history. 

We we had a chance. We played well against a very good team in their own backyard. At least we didn't look horrible, which is usually the case. 

I think the the team is trending up and getting better. Next year we win that game. 

Chiefs were favored. Everyone picked them, hence we weren't supposed to win. Maybe you let your expectations get too high after the Raiders win. 

9 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The offense had the ball fof 4 mins between the 3rd quarter and the middle of the 4th.  The defense was gassed.  Of course they would give up points. 

7 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

And the Redskins had the ball almost the entire first quarter. Which means that they had it almost the entire 2nd through 4th quarters.

This was killing me.  Is everyone forgetting how dreadful the offense was between points 10 and 17?  That killed the defense, plus a 3 play drive. 

I certainly wasn't happy they lost, but going toe to toe, and for the most part 'taking it to the Chiefs' on their field, in primetime, I don't have my head down.

I had a feeling about refs meddling, but for the most part, only a couple of questionable calls were made, but what a high they would have been on had they won.

The down side to that would have been, after coming off a bye, and playing one of our divisional games and somehow choking and losing that game IMO would have caused more 'mental damage' than the Chiefs loss, and I don't think they are down about that game; they played a very good game, just someone had to lose and someone had to win.

The biggest thing I'm worried about now, is a letdown in 2 weeks against San Fransisco. I've seen this team in the past go toe to toe early, and have had a lot to be excited about, only to have a let down somewhere along the way. I think what we've seen the first 4 weeks (specifically the last 3) is very encouraging and the Skins' look like they have the potential to be one of the NFC's best. That said, they cannot drop one to SF with Philadelphia, Dallas and Seattle around the corner. 

Check out the Tailgates of Hell: The NFC East Podcast for the Common Man! 
http://tailgatesofhell.libsyn.com

IMHO, the Redskins loss the game by shooting themselves in the foot too many times to recall more than the Chiefs outplayed them.

From the second quarter on, the defense would stop them only to nullify their great play with a boneheaded penalty.  With the exception of a few plays, the defense laid wood all night.  

The Redskins have a very talented team.  They, however, must improve on the mental aspect of the game in order to make the playoffs and do some damage upon getting in.

7 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

IMHO, the Redskins loss the game by shooting themselves in the foot too many times to recall more than the Chiefs outplayed them.

From the second quarter on, the defense would stop them only to nullify their great play with a boneheaded penalty.  With the exception of a few plays, the defense laid wood all night.  

The Redskins have a very talented team.  They, however, must improve on the mental aspect of the game in order to make the playoffs and do some damage upon getting in.

Exactly what I said. 

Archived