Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017-2018 NCAA Men's Basketball

PleaseBlitz

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:30 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Go Hokies! Big win. 

But good lord lord college basketball sucks. 

(Clank clank clank. 

Teams run around not knowing what to do. 

Coach yells at them  what to do. 

Clank clank clank.) 

It’s basically an entirely different sport than the NBA, completely inferior in every way. 

Over the last ten or fifteen years, college basketball has gone from a sport that I would watch at least weekly during the season to a sport that I don't even particularly enjoy during the tournament. I still watch the tournament, because it's such an orgy of sports. But the games are truly terrible.

College basketball to me seems like an endless series of swing passes around the perimeter until someone takes a truly awful three with two seconds left on the shot clock. The team that makes the most awful three pointers wins.

20 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Can't wait til Sunday to see what 12 or 13 seed is going to scare the **** out of me against WVU.

There is nothing better than cheering for a team that shoots 36 percent from the field yet is usually still in the lead. Every big WVU game under Huggins is me waiting for the back to back possessions where the other team hits two threes as the shot clock expires to take an utterly insurmountable 5 point lead.

Just to compare FT%, FG%, 3PT% and TO between NBA and NCAA since the NCAA is so sloppy and they can't shoot

Below are top 5 teams for NBA and top 5 teams for NCAA Power 5 schools

FG%

NBA    51.3, 48.4, 47.9, 47.6, 47.5

NCAA  51, 50.6, 50.4, 50.3, 50

3PT%

NBA    39.8, 38.3, 38, 37.4, 37.3

NCAA  42, 41.5, 41.3, 40.2, 40

FT%

NBA    81.2, 80.3, 80.1, 80, 79.6

NCAA  81, 80.4, 79.4, 79.3, 79.2

TO

NBA   12.5, 12.5, 12.6, 13.2, 13.5

NCAA  8.8, 9.1, 9.6, 9.7, 9.7 

3 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

College basketball to me seems like an endless series of swing passes around the perimeter until someone takes a truly awful three with two seconds left on the shot clock. The team that makes the most awful three pointers wins.

I don’t agree with all of the post, but this part I completely agree with. Way too many teams just pass it around and throw up a bad shot after passing up good shots 10 seconds earlier. I put most of that blame on coaches since even at small schools, most of the main contributors can shoot. But at least for the smaller schools I watch and even the larger schools, the players look afraid to shoot unless they have to.

57 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Just to compare FT%, FG%, 3PT% and TO between NBA and NCAA since the NCAA is so sloppy and they can't shoot

Below are top 5 teams for NBA and top 5 teams for NCAA Power 5 schools

FG%

NBA    51.3, 48.4, 47.9, 47.6, 47.5

NCAA  51, 50.6, 50.4, 50.3, 50

3PT%

NBA    39.8, 38.3, 38, 37.4, 37.3

NCAA  42, 41.5, 41.3, 40.2, 40

FT%

NBA    81.2, 80.3, 80.1, 80, 79.6

NCAA  81, 80.4, 79.4, 79.3, 79.2

TO

NBA   12.5, 12.5, 12.6, 13.2, 13.5

NCAA  8.8, 9.1, 9.6, 9.7, 9.7 

Those numbers on FG percentage can't be remotely close to accurate since only 8 teams in the country are currently shooting over 50 percent from the floor.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/148/p1

Where did you pull this from?

Also, the 3 PT percentage and turnover percentage mean nothing since the three point line, length of game, and length of shot clock are so different.

Otherwise, good argument. Solid argument.

WVU, a good team that I actually occasionally watch, shoots 44 percent from the field and 35 percent from three, and makes me want to kill myself because I can't believe those numbers are actually that high.

8 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

I don’t agree with all of the post, but this part I completely agree with. Way too many teams just pass it around and throw up a bad shot after passing up good shots 10 seconds earlier. I put most of that blame on coaches since even at small schools, most of the main contributors can shoot. But at least for the smaller schools I watch and even the larger schools, the players look afraid to shoot unless they have to.

I disagree with the part in bold.  I generally believe that shot selection often comes down to the fact that a much higher percentage of NBA players can hit open outside shots, especially once you get outside of the top college programs with the blue chip talent.  A lot of times a college player is open because the other team wants him to shoot it, because they know he isn't going to make it at a high rate.  

Then, sometimes you get down to the really small schools and all the guys can shoot it, but none of them can do much of anything else or even touch the rim.  (Looking at you, Saint Marys). :806:

31 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Those numbers on FG percentage can't be remotely close to accurate since only 8 teams in the country are currently shooting over 50 percent from the floor.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/148/p1

Where did you pull this from?

Also, the 3 PT percentage and turnover percentage mean nothing since the three point line, length of game, and length of shot clock are so different.

Otherwise, good argument. Solid argument.

You're link shows the FG% I mentioned - Arizona, Nova, MSU, TCU (sorry added Gonzaga in there so I'll take out the 50.3 and replace it with VT at 49.8

TO's are still below the top 5 in NBA (spread out over 48 min. it would be 10.56, 10.92, 11.52, 11.64

3 PT percentage I'll give you since there's a 3 ft. difference (still 19 teams better than the NBAs best team and 63 better than the NBAs 4th best)

Shot clock is different by 6 seconds and can't find stats on end of shot clock for either.  However, NCAA teams average 1 possession per 31.17 seconds (top tier avg. 77 possessions in a 40 minute game) and NBA averages 1 possession every 28.51 seconds (101 possessions in a 48 minute game).

33 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Oh, so that was just 4 teams? I thought it was the average of the conferences.

So, it's even more pointless.

Didn't have time to do averages so I took the top 5 power 5 and the top 5 NBA.   I don't think anyone is arguing that the bottom of conferences schools are just bad.  This is showing that the competition and skill set of the relevant teams isn't as bad as what's being portrayed.  But the top 25 teams:

FG% 47.34 (47.02 Top 12 NBA Average)

FT% 73 (77.99 NBA Average)

3PT% 37.75 (36.69 Top 12 NBA Average)

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I disagree with the part in bold.  I generally believe that shot selection often comes down to the fact that a much higher percentage of NBA players can hit open outside shots, especially once you get outside of the top college programs with the blue chip talent.  A lot of times a college player is open because the other team wants him to shoot it, because they know he isn't going to make it at a high rate.  

Then, sometimes you get down to the really small schools and all the guys can shoot it, but none of them can do much of anything else or even touch the rim.  (Looking at you, Saint Marys). :806:

Most small school players can make shots when they are open. If you watch a small school game, you can see in warmups they don’t miss often and in games they make wide open shots regardless of why they are open. What separates them from bigger schools is the size and athleticism, which plays into getting open shots, better shots, and making tougher shots. Most small schools don’t have an abundance of size, so a 6-5 or 6-6 guy may have to play down in the block even if they are a perimeter player. At larger schools, those guys are guards. Plus they don’t have the same athleticism to blow buy guys or rise up and shoot over them or drive and score under duress. Add to that, smalls schools may only get one really good college player who was overlooked, usually because of their size. Whereas the big schools have 7 or 8 guys that are really good college players and possibly an NBA level player. So you have a talent gap team wide as well. 

Anyway, my overall point was about coaches hindering players and not getting the best out of them and instead forcing them to pass up shots to take a bad one late. I see it at schools of all sizes and it makes the games harder to watch. 

Just now, Redskin4ever said:

Most small school players can make shots when they are open. If you watch a small school game, you can see in warmups they don’t miss often and in games they make wide open shots regardless of why they are open. What separates them from bigger schools is the size and athleticism, which plays into getting open shots, better shots, and making tougher shots. Most small schools don’t have an abundance of size, so a 6-5 or 6-6 guy may have to play down in the block even if they are a perimeter player. At larger schools, those guys are guards. Plus they don’t have the same athleticism to blow buy guys or rise up and shoot over them or drive and score under duress. Add to that, smalls schools may only get one really good college player who was overlooked, usually because of their size. Whereas the big schools have 7 or 8 guys that are really good college players and possibly an NBA level player. So you have a talent gap team wide as well. 

Anyway, my overall point was about coaches hindering players and not getting the best out of them and instead forcing them to pass up shots to take a bad one late. I see it at schools of all sizes and it makes the games harder to watch. 

Yep, I totally agree with your first paragraph.  It's rare to have both the athleticism and shooting ability in one guy, and those guys tend to go to about 15 schools (for one year), then to the NBA.  

I don't think there is any questions that the talent in the NBA far exceeds college, that's obvious regardless of where the 3 point line is or how long the shot clock is.  The beauty of college, and the reason I like college ball better, is the diversity of how teams play and the interesting problems that presents to other teams, especially in the tournament.  

As to your second paragraph and overall point, I'm not sure what school(s) you watch, but I watch a ton of Big 12 ball b/c i root for WVU.  I know each team (especially WVU) has about 3-5 guys that have the green light to shoot from outside and that's it.  WVU has 4.  If anyone else takes a 3 and misses, Huggs takes them out immediately.  I have no problem with it because the rest of the guys can't shoot.

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I don't think there is any questions that the talent in the NBA far exceeds college, that's obvious regardless of where the 3 point line is or how long the shot clock is.  The beauty of college, and the reason I like college ball better, is the diversity of how teams play and the interesting problems that presents to other teams, especially in the tournament.  

That may have been the case 25 years ago.

It seems like everyone runs the same motion offense and plays the same zone defense against it. And the only thing that matters is how fast the 18 year olds that are going to be on campus for six months pick it up.

Like Princeton doesn't really run the Princeton offense any longer. They run the same plays that are derivative of the Princeton that everyone else runs. Some teams runs more back screens than others.

49 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Didn't have time to do averages so I took the top 5 power 5 and the top 5 NBA.   I don't think anyone is arguing that the bottom of conferences schools are just bad.  This is showing that the competition and skill set of the relevant teams isn't as bad as what's being portrayed.  But the top 25 teams:

FG% 47.34 (47.02 Top 12 NBA Average)

FT% 73 (77.99 NBA Average)

3PT% 37.75 (36.69 Top 12 NBA Average)

I'm saying everyone is bad. WVU was a top ten team for a portion of the season, and they are unwatchable.

Just now, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

It seems like everyone runs the same motion offense and plays the same zone defense against it. And the only thing that matters is how fast the 18 year olds that are going to be on campus for six months pick it up.

Like Princeton doesn't really run the Princeton offense any longer. They run the same plays that are derivative of the Princeton that everyone else runs. Some teams runs more back screens than others.

It seems .... like you should watch more teams play.  :)

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I'm saying everyone is bad. WVU was a top ten team for a portion of the season, and they are unwatchable.

They've played poorly recently but looked very good and fluid early on.

in terms of offense, id rather watch the ball movement for a good shot rather than isolation and limited defense :)

Archived