Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2017 Game Day Thread

zCommander

37 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

LoL. Joe and Troy just beside themselves that Dallas got rolled. Spent 59.5 minutes talking about Dallas, then once it's over give the Seahawks some praise. Bozos..

That’s all we were talking about here. Joe was ready to call this great coronation of the cowboys all game. Every play by Dallas was a momentum swing and a huge game changing play to him. He was stunned at the end. After Bailey’s first FG miss, Joe sounded like he was fighting off tears as he called the game. Then he was trying to signal hope right up until Bailey missed again. 

4 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

People who think we just need to re-sign a couple of guys and avoid as many injuries as this year and we'll cruise into the playoffs are setting themselves up for a tough year, imo.

Everything else you said, i agree with in general. The NFC is a GREAT conference. 

However, i think It’s not as easy to assume the same nfc teams that are playing great this season will have the same great seasons next year. What i mean by that is the nfl is a year to year league. Any team can get the injury bug at any time. Who’s to say the panthers, falcons, saints, rams, eagles will be this good next year? If we somehow find a way to retain Kirk, Zach Brown, and other key players, and continue to have success drafting players (we did last year, and the year before that as well—however both drafts were Scott’s board, or at least 2015/2016 drafts were...) and if we sign a few good players in FA...who knows. Could be us next year. 

41 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Everything else you said, i agree with in general. The NFC is a GREAT conference. 

However, i think It’s not as easy to assume the same nfc teams that are playing great this season will have the same great seasons next year. What i mean by that is the nfl is a year to year league. Any team can get the injury bug at any time. Who’s to say the panthers, falcons, saints, rams, eagles will be this good next year? If we somehow find a way to retain Kirk, Zach Brown, and other key players, and continue to have success drafting players (we did last year, and the year before that as well—however both drafts were Scott’s board, or at least 2015/2016 drafts were...) and if we sign a few good players in FA...who knows. Could be us next year. 

I am not assuming anything. But, depending on Seattle's moves int eh offseason, it looks like there are legit 8 great teams. They all look really solid. So maybe 1 or 2 of them fall of next year, but to make it a conference where you can slip into the final playoff spot, 3 of the 8 need to drop off, Dallas needs to not get back to where they were a year ago, Detroit needs to not take a step forward and no one else needs to emerge. And then there is the question of doing something in those playoffs.

The AFC, on the other hand, it'd be easy to right now look at a 41 year old Brady and a flirting with retirement Roethlisberger and see a path thru. But we have to improve a lot to be even thinking about that, with where we are.

@Rufus T Firefly sure, those 8 teams that you mentioned currently ON PAPER look like they'll be great next year. but my point is, any team can get hit really hard with injuries at any point of the season. each season is different so in my opinion its tough to know for sure how many of those teams will be good again, and which ones end up losing key players. its a year to year league. last year at this point did anybody think the eagles and rams would be doing this great? for all we know, we could have a huge offseason with great signings and draft great players, and turn it into a 10-6 or 11-5 season. we aren't that far off, and really, if doctson completes that touchdown against the chiefs in week 4, and we actually pick up that 1st down on 3rd and 1 against the saints, we're in the wildcard race going into next weekend against the giants.

all I'm saying is let's wait and see what happens in the offseason. who knows? maybe this team can end up surprising people next year :) 

12 hours ago, hail2skins said:

SF is going to be the sleeper pick for the SB next season and don't be surprised if the preseason pubs next year pick a NE-SF Super Bowl just for the Brady vs Jimmy G angle. 

I think the Rams-49ers rivalry will be a fantastic one to watch in the coming years. They have two incredible, innovative coaches who know not only how to get the best out of their players, but also which players to put out there on the field. I think you're right that the Niners are gonna be on a pretty fast upward trajectory. People underestimate Shanahan; dude can coach. And he's going to build one heck of a squad out there.

10 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wentz is coming off a wrecked knee.

Cowboys are deeply flawed and overrated.

Giants are headed for a total rebuild.

Skins could easily go 10-6 and win the East next year.  That's where our focus should be.

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Am I the only one who thinks it was stupid not to get some reps from Foles to try to establish a little bit of rhythm?

He did play a little, right?

I think the mentality at this point is that they have at least they have a little bit of a chance with Foles right now, in spite of his rough play.  If he by chance got hurt in this meaningless game and had to roll with Sudfeld, they'd be screwed. 

Just now, hail2skins said:

He did play a little, right?

I think the mentality at this point is that they have at least they have a little bit of a chance with Foles right now, in spite of his rough play.  If he by chance got hurt in this meaningless game and had to roll with Sudfeld, they'd be screwed. 

They have no chance with the way their offense is playing right now. I'd rather try to get that fixed than worrying about going from a 1 in 1000 chance to a one in 2000 chance in the rare chance Foles got hurt.

Archived