Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Redskins vs. Bengals

TSO

1 minute ago, Poman said:

I think the consensus is he had an overall positive outing.  Obviously we don't know how well he handled the line calls, but he certainly didn't look overmatched.

Thanks.  I like when my opinion is shared by people who know what they are talking about!

Still worried.  Those first three possessions were horrible. And that pick-6... disgusting.

But after all that, they seemed to settle down.  The offense moved well 2nd quarter, and if not for that Kirk boneheaded throw (albeit while under duress), it might have been 17-7 by half.  McCoy looked pretty good too, better than Kirk, I thought.  

Defense was spotty only.  I wish they could stop more drives than they do, constantly looking more like a turnstyle rather than a barrier.  I will shelve my "Fire Manusky" campaign for now, until week 1.  Again, the 2nd stringers and on looked like they were playing for something.  

If the starters play like that against Philthydelphia, we're in for a looong season.  

Oh, and Terrell needs better hands; he has all the other tools.  Of course, I saw Crowder drop a few too.  

11 minutes ago, Poman said:

I think the consensus is he had an overall positive outing.  Obviously we don't know how well he handled the line calls, but he certainly didn't look overmatched.

Yeah, thought he looked okay but like you said don't know how well he handled the calls himself.

Not quite getting some of the commentary on the D. The opening drive was frustrating/not good. But I will also give Dalton credit there-- he connected to some receivers who were more or less covered. 

After that, the D was great in the first half. I thought the secondary was excellent. If it's the regular season, I'll take giving up 7 points per half. The DL and secondary look markedly better. And Brown has been impressive. 

Today was a really good day for the D and I'm not quite understanding any opinion that would run counter to that. 

Obvioualy, the first three possessions on offense were just abysmal and the INT by KC was just a complete horrendous decision-- that is 100% on Kirk making a terrible play. But after that low point Aikman noted the "urgency" and there was clearly a positive change. Seemed to sort of wake them up and shake them up. No doubt the overall assessment of the starting O in pre season would be negative. No doubt. That said, it's also pretty hard to tell... sample size very small. It's entirely possible if this is the regular season this is a game where we fall behind early and come back to win by a TD or more. Just hard to say. I have faith in what we have on offense. I think there is too much talent there for them not to ultimately succeed. Despite the relatively ugly pre season showing. I am glad they ended on a higher note. KC has a ton of weapons and I think Gruden will put him in position to find them. 

2 minutes ago, kleese said:

Not quite getting some of the commentary on the D. The opening drive was frustrating/not good. But I will also give Dalton credit there-- he connected to some receivers who were more or less covered. 

After that, the D was great in the first half. I thought the secondary was excellent. If it's the regular season, I'll take giving up 7 points per half. The DL and secondary look markedly better. And Brown has been impressive. 

Today was a really good day for the D and I'm not quite understanding any opinion that would run counter to that. 

I thought the defense was decent.  The lack of sacks or even hits on Dalton was a little troubling but they seemed to tackle better than last year against the starters.  The fumble was luck but we don't usually have that kind of luck!

Randoms

Trent will sometimes struggle against random/no name guys - so it's ok if other guys do as well. Chase probably got tagged with a sack, joining Brandon and Trent. I feel like Jay panicked and called a few plays he was saving notably running Cousins to get a first down. I cannot recall a game last year with Cousins getting hit so much.

Pryor may have jinxed himself in his bleacher report interview saying he doesn't drop passes. I think he has more drops than catches. 4+3 IIIRC.

Still not a fan of seeing the run plays where CT gets whacked, certainly not in preseason. He is pound for pound as tough as anyone and is certainly not afraid to lower the shoulder to finish runs, but that is not what i want to see out of him.

2 minutes into the 3rd quarter, Will Compton no hesitation at the snap had a tackle at the far sideline. I didn't see that last year.  Then 8min left in the 3rd saw both he and Spaight flat footed long after the snap, and the late Spaight had he not hesitated would have had a hurry / sack.

McGee listed at 341 probably ate 10 pounds of bacon for breakfast before weigh in day. The big boys weights must fluctuate close to 10 pounds a day easily, right?

It appears Manusky is going be far more aggressive blitzing the QB, than Barry was.

The starting defense allowed only 130 yards in the first half. They only gave up 7 points.  If we only give up 260 yards and 14 points a game, we will be a 14-2 team.  The defense played very well tonight, aside from one drive, which is a massive improvement.

1 hour ago, perez24 said:

I thought the defense was decent.  The lack of sacks or even hits on Dalton was a little troubling but they seemed to tackle better than last year against the starters.  The fumble was luck but we don't usually have that kind of luck!

Not 100% luck. Go back and watch. We stuffed the first play do that drive and that play was about to get stuffed too. Mixon is focused on the guys bearing down on him and he misses the ball. Sure, we did zilch to actually "cause" that fumble but it was a well defended play. 

Didn't see the game. The Yahoo Sports recap indicated that the Bengals looked sharp and ready for the season while the Skins looked bad but the stats, at least between the starting QBs, don't exactly reflect that.

Kleese's review seems pretty solid though and he's one of the people on this forum I really trust when it comes to football acumen.

• TK locked, featured, unfeatured, pinned and unpinned this topic

Just wanted to apologize for any posts I missed while the game was on and that I didn't respond to. It was a bit hectic going back in forth from here to watching the game to the blog entry, I couldn't keep up. Just now going through everything and saw a bunch of quotes I didn't see. 

Archived