Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

19 minutes ago, twa said:

they have representation.....they are not and should not be considered a state though.

They do not have real representation. They have a delegate in the House who can't even vote on bills, and they have no representation in the Senate.

Why shouldn't they be a state? They have a bigger population than Wyoming and about the same as Vermont and those places get representation in the House and Senate. 

4 minutes ago, twa said:

How many of their 'population' vote in other states?

What in the world are you even talking about? Is this just you throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks? Since when can DC residents go to other states and vote? They can vote in presidential elections but they still have no real representation in the House and no representation at all in the Senate. 

So how about my actual point? Why shouldn't DC be a state when there are other states with the same or less population that get full representation? 

Just now, mistertim said:

So how about my actual point? Why shouldn't DC be a state when there are other states with the same or less population that get full representation? 

because they are not a state.....we should probably take back the right to vote in presidential elections now that you mention it.

22 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Wonder if he feels the same about Guam, PR, Virgin islands, etc.

It's time to get rid of our colonial territories.  Free those territories  the U.S. and let them become independent nations.

As for D.C.  they should have a congressman or two and be allowed to vote for Maryland's senators; since D.C. was taken from Maryland.  If you can't do that, then the residents of D.C. shouldn't have to pay federal income taxes.

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Who is defending Guam and American Somoa?  Guarantee those islands would annexed pretty quickly by China.

No way in hell we're giving up Guam. It's small but strategic. Westernmost point in the US (or US territories) and has 3 military bases. 

6 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

My G, he tries to use data to spread his worldview. That’s the issue. And he says insane stuff like this

Honestly, I have no idea what point you think you are making, or what these random, scattershot statements or links are supposed to do with any of it.

The only thing I'm sure of is it's not worth any of my time trying to decipher it.

8 hours ago, No Excuses said:

We will get congressional representation eventually in DC. I am happy to see Beto and others taking this on. 

“These citizens of the country should not have full representation” has throughout history and will always be the ideological viewpoint of morons.

Rest assured if they thought DC would add two GOP Senators, it would already be a state. 

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

No way in hell we're giving up Guam. It's small but strategic. Westernmost point in the US (or US territories) and has 3 military bases. 

Little geography note, Guam is not the westernmost point in the U.S.  It is actually the easternmost as it is across the date line.  It is the answer to one of my favorite U.S. geography trivia questions: "Where does the sun first rise over American soil every morning?"  The date line bends around Alaska.

However even if one is simply moving west from California ignoring the dateline, Guam would still not be the westernmost.  The Confederation of North Mariana Islands (CNMI) is further west (about a 45 min plane ride north west from Guam).  There are a few other protectorates too, but I know less about them.  CNMI like Guam, American Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, is a U.S. territory.

Now after this Friday morning trivia break, I return you back to the regularly scheduled political brawling.

12 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Maybe they should just allow them to vote in Maryland elections for Senate and allow the representative to be a part of the Maryland delegation.

Should be non-controversial since Maryland is a blue state anyway.  

This is a compromise based on politics instead of the right thing to do.  There are several territories that get treated like this or worse from the simple standpoint that if they did have proper representation they'd be blue. 

Let's be real, if DC was majority red, DC statehood would be a GOP bumpersticker.  The whole not a state is nonsense when you consider every state was at one point not a state, the flag has 13 stripes for original colonies and 50 stars for what eventually became 50 states.

And for people mad (not saying you) about having to add more stars, no we dont, and the flag disnt always have 50 nor did we add a new star with every state.  There are more excuses then reasons not to give DC statehood at this point, has been for a while now.

Archived