Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

We have a beer thread, and a quick search didn't come up with an equivalent for liquor, so I figured I'd get one rolling.  If there's already a thread related to this... well I've been drinking Whiskey, give me a break.  Anyways, let's get started.

I've been getting into Whiskey the past year or so.  Went to a Whiskey tasting at some point last year and found that I'm rather fond of the single-malt Scotches, but they're a bit rich for me at this point in my career.  I wish I'd had a more refined palette while I was still in Texas, as I'd tried some of the locals in Rebecca Creek, Swift, and Ranger Creek (the last one being directly at their distiller/brewery in San Antonio; only had a couple samples of a few of their whiskeys; most of their offerings were in beer form, which was very good--I was a big fan of la Bestia), but I can't give great reviews on them as I was still in the beginnings of my journey into Whiskey at the time.

Now I have a bit more of a feel for what I like.  Personally, I'm a fan of Ezra Brooks as far as bargain-basement whiskey goes.  $13 for a 750ml bottle and it's right up there with Jack Daniels and the like.  I've also found it to be great in Kentucky Screwdrivers as the orange juice manages to mask its bite and really draws out the smokiness hiding within leaving you with pretty much a smokey orange juice.

I just picked up a bottle of Monkey Shoulder and I've been impressed with what it has to offer as a blended Scotch at a reasonable price.  Unlike many blended whiskeys, it doesn't use any Grain Neutral Spirits to cut it, but rather is purely a blend of three Speyside Scotches; off the top of my head I only recall Glenfidditch being among the blend.  For $30, it's definitely worth a try, I think, if you like Scotch.

I had a couple glasses of Breckenridge a few weeks ago, and it really impressed me.  It was up against Blanton's, which I was also sampling at the time.  While Blanton's was the bigger name and the more expensive Bourbon, Breckenridge was the one that came out on top.  It just had a bit more flavor going for it.

As for what helped spur the creation of this thread (beyond the Monkey Shoulder and Ezra I've been sipping tonight), I've recently come into possession (a gift from my brother) of a Golden Oak Barrel, which is a hand-coopered miniature oak barrel for ageing liquor yourself.  I decided to give it a try starting with the cheap stuff: Ezra Brooks.  I left half a bottle in there for two weeks, while the other half remained in the bottle.  After the two weeks, I administered a blind taste test between the barrel aged bourbon and what remained in the bottle.  The results were pretty impressive.  The bourbon aged in that little oak barrel was infused with notes of vanilla, and the harsh bite of cheap liquor has been mellowed away.  I've seen some recipes from Golden Oaks that involves mixing a few liquors in the barrel along with vanilla beans and cinnamon that I might have to start trying out.

Edited by PokerPacker

I like a good bourbon.  Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek.  For a really good $20 bourbon, check out Larceny. Probably the best I've had at that price point. 

Also, PokerPacker you mentioned Scotch?  There is great Scotch-Whiskey blended liquor in the $28-35 range called Monkey Shoulder.  

Just now, NoCalMike said:

I like a good bourbon.  Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek.  For a really good $20 bourbon, check out Larceny. Probably the best I've had at that price point. 

Also, PokerPacker you mentioned Scotch?  There is great Scotch-Whiskey blended liquor in the $28-35 range called Monkey Shoulder.  

I was just searching through bourbons and the John E. Fitzgerald Larceny stood out as something I need to try.  I'm definitely gonna seek that out on my next trip to the liquor store.  As for Monkey Shoulder... well I actually mentioned it in the OP.  That was the whiskey I started with tonight before moving to my Golden Oak aged Ezra Brooks.  Really is a great value as far as Scotches go.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Last thanksgiving I bought a bottle of Russell's Reserve (made by the Wild Turkey guys) It was really good.

That intrigues me.  I liked Wild Turkey 101 well enough as far as a sipping whiskey goes, though when I was considering it a couple weeks ago for my barrel ageing experiment, the guy at the liquor store criticized it as being overpriced for not being that great.  I was surprised to see that it was $30+ for a bottle whereas in Texas I got it for about $20.  I'll keep that one on my short list to try out, too.  I'll probably go for Larceny first, though.

• Like 1

Robin Williams once said: "If drinking is a crutch,then Jack Daniels is the wheelchair."  He may have been right. ;) "Upgraded" from Beam to Jack way back in 81 I believe when I was 19. Kept that up until about 6 years ago. Tell you what though,stuff was "magical" at times. Kept me up in a few brawls as a bouncer when I should have been down. Just having a shot prevented some more and before I was of legal age,kept me from being carded.  These days,booze is on the way out but I have developed a taste for good tequila and might even try out the new local whiskey when they open up shop here. I hear it's pretty damn good. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, PCS said:

Robin Williams once said: "If drinking is a crutch,then Jack Daniels is the wheelchair."  He may have been right. ;) "Upgraded" from Beam to Jack way back in 81 I believe when I was 19.

Interesting, I've always liked Beam more than Jack. 

54 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I'll probably go for Larceny first, though.

I think you'll dig Larceny.  It has turned into a go-to for me, especially at the price it's at.

I can get on board with this. 

Love single malts. Laphroiag is fantastic for the price. Lagavullen and Oban are exquisite in my opinion. I love peaty scotch. It's tougher to drink that stuff here in the summer with temps near the 100s.  A sweater bourbon does the trick rather well. Jeffersons is pretty good. I like

larceny too. 

We we have a few distilleries down here making sorghum and rye. High wire is the name. 

• Like 1

Give old grandad 100 proof a try, best lower priced bourbon I've found.

Blended scotch might be good for disinfecting wounds.

8 hours ago, Springfield said:

It's about time I give up liquor.

I prefer whisky.  Nothing special.  Makers Mark, Knob Creek, Jameson, Crown Royal.  Not a huge fan of Jim Beam or Jack Daniels.

Not a fan of the wang? :)

I'll drink them on occasion, but not my style,,,,Beam Black ain't bad.

Great idea for a thread.    

Just wait until HOF44 chimes in.  His bunker of whiskey is the envy of the Free World.

I drink liquor, but whiskey, specifically bourbon, most of all.    Not a big scotch fan, and I've tried quite a few.  The ones that I like, are distilled in Islay, Scotland, Bowmore, and something else that I can't remember.

I was never a huge fan of Irish Whiskey, until I tried Red Breast specifically the 12-year.  I have a bottle of the cask strength and, with apologies to HOF44, not crazy about it, especially at the price.  Up until then, my experience with Irish whiskies were Jameson's & Carolan's shot's in Car Bombs. My appreciation for them, grew leaps and bounds, after spending a week in Ireland last year.   I tried a bunch of them, and toured the Irish Whiskey museum in Dublin, where we tried several different varieties.   My favorite is Powers Gold.  It's in every Irish pub,and it is very, very good.  If you order whiskey, without naming it, that's what you were served.  An Irishman told me, at a pub, that they "import the Jameson's, and keep the Powers to themselves"    It used to be that way, but now it's become more available in the States.  IMO, Powers Gold  is much better than Jameson's, and is less than $30.00 a bottle.   I like it better than the Red Breast, which costs a lot more.  

Tequila, I drink once in a great while.  My favorite, and I **** you not, is the Kirkland brand Anejo.  Yes, Costco brand.  From what I've read, it's made in the same distillery that produces some high end tequilas.    For $20.00 a bottle, it's an absolute steal.   I have some Don Julio, and Patron on-hand, and the Kirkland is better.

I don't care for rum, vodka or gin or most clear liquors.       My go-to, is bourbon.  I prefer wheated bourbons, but I don't turn my nose up at rye's, or bourbons with high rye content in their mash-bills.

There are far too many that I like to list them all, but here are a few:

Cheap:  i.e. under $30.00, Evan Williams Black, IMO the best cheap bourbon available, at $19.00 a handle, this one should be under the "dirt-cheap" category, , Evan Williams single-barrel, Mckenna 10-year, Buffalo Trace, Maker's Mark, Four Roses, Bulleit,(regular and rye),Larceny, Old Forester Signature 100, (I've never had anything by Old Forester that I didn't like), Wild Turkey 101    There are more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Not so cheap:  i.e over $30.00.  Note that cheap is subjective, I'm a cheap ****, your mileage may vary.    I'm only listing the bourbons that I can actually buy, not stuff like Pappy, Stagg, etc

1792, Stagg Jr,( I love all of the releases),  Eagle Rare, Willett Pot Still, Blantons, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Four Roses Single Barrel, Breckenridge, (distilled in Colorado and surprisingly good), Elija Craig, Knob Creek single barrel, Michter's, Russel's Reserve, Woodford Reserve,  the list goes on and on and on.... 

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

I'm a tequila guy. Cuervo Tradicional Reposado—nice, smokey flavor. Sauza Tres Generaciones Reposado—also really good. I drink it on the rocks and just sip on it. 

I think Patron (esp. Patron Silver) is trash. 

Another Sauza Tres Generaciones fan, also Riazul Anejo that has a bit of sweetness good for sipping on the rocks. 

Jameson for Irish Whiskey, thanks for the tip on Powers Gold.

I like Bacardi Gold and coke too, with some lemon.

I'm moving my liquor collection, haven't drunk any in over a year. Good thing it keeps. I also have six cases of wine, three are half bottles. I have a whole case of various Spanish wines, and one of some California Pinot Noir. Most of the collection are reds.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1

I'm a Maker's guy.  Usually make an Old Fashioned.  Keep the bar stocked with gin for the occasional martini as well (Tanqueray).

And moonshine, of course. 

16 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I'm moving my liquor collection, haven't drunk any in over a year. Good thing it keeps. I also have six cases of wine, three are half bottles. I have a whole case of various Spanish wines, and one of some California Pinot Noir. Most of the collection are reds.

We need a wine thread too, I turned a storage room in my garage into a combination wine cellar / tool shed.  

although I'm sure it will be full of children that think it is icky or not manly enough for their fragile egos. :)

Edited by PleaseBlitz

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

I'm a tequila guy. Cuervo Tradicional Reposado—nice, smokey flavor. Sauza Tres Generaciones Reposado—also really good. I drink it on the rocks and just sip on it. 

I think Patron (esp. Patron Silver) is trash. 

Ever tried Gran Centenario?  That tequila blew me away.  Extremely smooth and tasty.  Around the $25ish price range.  

If I am "slumming" it, I will pick up a bottle of Milagro silver.  For $20 it is pretty solid. 

Edited by NoCalMike

13 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Ever tried Gran Centenario?  That tequila blew me away.  Extremely smooth and tasty.  Around the $25ish price range.  

If I am "slumming" it, I will pick up a bottle of Milagro silver.  For $20 it is pretty solid. 

I will have to try it. I let it be known a long time ago that I'm a tequila guy and friends family just gift me bottles for birthday,xmas, etc

4 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

I will have to try it. I let it be known a long time ago that I'm a tequila guy and friends family just gift me bottles for birthday,xmas, etc

If you get a chance, hit up a Costco that sells liquor.  Kirkland Anejo is legit. My tequila drinking friends love it, and couldn't believe that it is only $19.99 at Costco. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

If you get a chance, hit up a Costco that sells liquor.  Kirkland Anejo is legit. My tequila drinking friends love it, and couldn't believe that it is only $19.99 at Costco. 

Damn. I'm not a label snob- I go by taste and sometimes "other" effects. Like in wine cheap vineyards use adulterants like added sugars, sulfites, etc. Those don't agree with me. I can't taste it but it makes me feel wonky, not drunk.

anyway, I gotta try this Kirkland anejo! Wine Enthisiast scored it a 90 and tequila.net an 86 (out of 100)!!

• Like 1

I don't drink a lot, but my boy point me on to Evan Williams Honey Whiskey a couple years ago.  Now all the three apostles (Jack, Jim, and John) seem to have their own plus commercials every other day.   Is honey whiskey popular or is just a fad and a phase?  I'll be with either way.

I've also got a thing for vodka, bought a bottle of 100 proof Belvedere not too long ago, worked straight or where I needed it to.

I'm open to different stuff, I'm not embarrased any more that I haven't had a jager bomb before, I'll check that box eventually.

Edited by Renegade7

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't drink a lot, but my boy point me on to Evan Williams Honey Whiskey a couple years ago.  Now all the three apostles (Jack, Jim, and John) seem to have their own plus commercials every other day.   Is honey whiskey popular or is just a fad and a phase?  I'll be with either way.

If you like the Honey whiskeys, you might also want to try a Maple whiskey.  I think it was Maple Jack that I had, and it's almost like drinking a not-too-viscous Maple Syrup.  As for whether or not they're a fad... probably a bit.  But if you like it, who cares, right?

9 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

We need a wine thread too, I turned a storage room in my garage into a combination wine cellar / tool shed.  

although I'm sure it will be full of children that think it is icky or not manly enough for their fragile egos. :)

Is that a thing?  Knowing your wine is part of impressing the ladies.  Is impressing ladies not manly?

I haven't yet built up a wine palette, but it is something I'm interested in.  I did get myself a crystal decanter so that I can at least pretend I'm a sophisticated red wine connoisseur.  But perhaps that is best left to, as you mentioned, a wine thread.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

A fad to me, but as mentioned whatever you enjoy is good.

I drink the honey in my coffee at times.

Got talked into trying Caramel SoCo, never again....not even coffee helps it. :ols:

• Like 1

I both love and hate that bourbon has become "the" drink over the past decade.  

I love that there are so many more options and differing styles. 

I hate that I sound like a douchebag when I ask a bartender what kind of high end bourbons they have.  

I drink Jack.  Neat.  On the rocks.  With a splash of water.  With Diet Coke sometimes. 

But I have dozens of bottles around to switch things up.  Basil Hayden's. Angel Envy.  Four Roses.  All good stuff.  I'm still searching for a bottle of Pappy.  But I'm not willing to pay more than retail for it.  It's a quest at this point.  

I drink scotch during Skins games when they are at night.  Couple of ice cubes.  I like it all.  Single Malts from all regions.  Blended Johnnys.  I even like a Dewars from time to time. 

My wife loves Tequila and Vodka.  

my brother in law drinks rum

So my bar has variety. 

• Like 2