Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Fantasy Football

JamesMadisonSkins

I'm a nerd with this stuff, so I've been diving into research a lot lately. Here's my strategy. I won last year in my big friends league ($800 1st place). 2 keepers, auction, half PPR. With the rules in place, I was able to keep Gurley and David Johnson last year for $20 each on a $220 budget. This year, I'm looking at keeping David Johnson for $45 (going for $60-65 on average) and Melvin Gordon for $20 (going for $50-55 on average).

I wasn't in LOVE with Gordon as a keeper because I'm not sure how sustainable his 2016 was going forward. But for $20 it's just too good a value to pass up. I've also been hearing a lot about how he's expected to have a huge year this year if he stays healthy. David Johnson speaks for himself.

Outside of the obvious, I'm intrigued by the following RBs:

- Leonard Fournette, Joe Mixon, Dalvin Cook, Samaje Perine, Christian McCaffrey, Bilal Powell, Ameer Abdullah, Paul Perkins, Rob Kelley

That's outside of the "established" and "top 10" guys ... although more than any year that I can remember, this one features quite a few question marks or generally un-intriguing options in the Top 15 at RB (outside of the Top 5-7) and there's a lot of potential for "new blood" to take over. If there's a year to try and draft 4-5 upside guys that will be cheap and bank on a couple hitting big, this would be it.

My draft strategy in keeping Johnson and Gordon will be to try to get about 6 RBs (so 4 more) that I'll try to compile from the above list of players, which should come cheap-ish. Although the hype on the rookies will likely drive up their costs ultimately, but will still be cheaper than some of the guys who will go Top 15 at RB.

If I could draft Joe Mixon ($8-12), Dalvin Cooks ($8-12) and Christian McCaffrey ($20-25) to round out my RB core ... I'd feel fairly confident that by mid-season, 2 of those backs would be delivering Top 15 numbers by either claiming a passing game role or the top RB spot in their offenses. Not to mention, in my league, their keeper costs for 2018 would be $20 each ... which would be insane value for any of those that emerge as a top RB in their offense, which I am sure will happen by the end of the season.

I also see this year's WR options as different than year's past. There actually isn't a WR in the Top 30 that I can say I have any issue with outside of MAYBE Brandon Marshall at #20. I think they all have serious potential. The depth is really intriguing. This might be a year to go "all in" on RBs at the top and search for WRs in the 10-35 range. In ADP, that would mean going RB-RB in the first two rounds and then WR in Rounds 3-5. In Auction, I would look at spending $45-60 each on two RBs and then no more than $15-35 each on WRs 1-3. Here are some at WR that I particularly like, particularly at where they're projected and can have potential to rise:

- DeAndre Hopkins (#10), Amari Cooper (#11), Davante Adams (#14), Allen Robinson (#15), Demaryius Thomas (#16), Terrelle Pryor (#18), Jarvis Landry (#19), Donte Moncrief (#21), Golden Tate (#26), Brandin Cooks (#27), Kelvin Benjamin (#32), Jamison Crowder (#33), Desean Jackson (#36)

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone on ES running a FF league?  I am looking to join one.  I always join 1-2 from the NFL.com, but by the end of the season most of the people quit participating.  Looking for a competitive league that will have members last all season even if they are losing.

I've played FF for as long as I remember but this is the first year I'm spending more than $20 on it. I don't gamble much so I guess the investment of my time will be more this year into it. I'm cheap. :)

10-12 team, no PPR, snake live draft in which the worst team (and up) gets the first waiver wire priority. Btw, I ****ing hate that setting. Almost worth tanking the first 4 weeks.

Anyways...with QB passing TDs worth 5 in this league, it does place some value on the good QBs. Plus it's a QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Flex with K and D league. So the run on RBs and WRs isn't as much as one would think. 

Depending on where I fall in the draft, I might consider a QB starting on Round 6 or 7. Something I would never do in normal leagues...

Not really happy with the RB depth this year. Very few sleeper potential (for now). I thought Bilal Powell was going to be my late mid round target but too many already target him. In my earliest draft I was able to get him in at the end of the round 11 but in my other three (These early ones I consider practice for my big money leagues) he's gone in 5th.  Jaqquiz Rodgers is another one but now even he is creeping into the top 10 rounds. So it looks like I'm going to use the top 3 rounds to secure 2 RBs once my major drafts start. Already have a total of 15 leagues lined up or drafted  (I actually consistently make money this way). 

Draft from last night Flex 9 PPR (1 QB/2RB/2WR/Te/ Flex RB/WR/TE/K/D)  18 on Roster  - I'll pick up a bench QB at some point.

Cameron's p 50/3  
Player Pos Team Pick
Wilson, Russell QB SEA 7.10
Freeman, Devonta RB ATL 1.10
Murray, Demarco RB TEN 2.3
Kelley, Rob RB WAS 8.3
Rodgers, Jacquizz RB TBB 12.3
Hightower, Tim RB SFO 16.3
Thompson, Chris RB WAS 18.3
Allen, Keenan WR LAC 3.10
Watkins, Sammy WR BUF 4.3
Fitzgerald, Larry WR ARI 5.10
Decker, Eric WR TEN 9.10
Thielen, Adam WR MIN 10.3
Beasley, Cole WR DAL 13.10
Woods, Robert WR LAR 14.3
Olsen, Greg TE CAR 6.3
Cook, Jared TE OAK 17.10
Tucker, Justin K BAL 15.10
DEN Broncos D DEN 11.10

BTW I highly recommend Fuzzy Fantasy Football Leagues  - lots of redraft lineup options (Standard, Flex9/10 annd Superflex, 10 and 12 team leagues and higher percentage of fees put into prizes/league entry range from $25 - $1500) best draft engine I've seen.

Anyone else have reviews of premium leagues?

One of my late round picks is going to be Terrance West, RB for BAL.  Since Dixon went down he's going to become one of those volume players who might do well with it, but at least is going to get the attempts.  His only competition got injured, so just throwing that out there for anyone looking for some late round gems.

Anybody taking a flier on Leonard Fournette?  I don't see why you'd draft a RB at #4 and not try to make him the feature back, but they still have two backs they invested in before they drafted him.  I like the offense he's going to be him, but would you take him over someone like Todd Gurley or Jordan Howard? I don't like either of the offenses they are on.

Review of Master of Fantasy Football (played with them until two years ago because of the Dynasty option).

The Good 

Year Round

Dynasty Available

Good Draft Engine

Very Responsive

Huge number of Leagues can draft every night

Low to very high rollers (Believe they have $10K leagues)

The Bad

Trading window is too small and starts late (Best Trades for us Sharks occurs 1st two weeks - their window doesn't open until week 3)

Lower percentage of Fees returned as prizes

Limited Line-up choices

Will adjust Dynasty orphans by cross trading with each other (this very bad imo as it screws the non orphan teams).

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

One of my late round picks is going to be Terrance West, RB for BAL.  Since Dixon went down he's going to become one of those volume players who might do well with it, but at least is going to get the attempts.  His only competition got injured, so just throwing that out there for anyone looking for some late round gems.

Anybody taking a flier on Leonard Fournette?  I don't see why you'd draft a RB at #4 and not try to make him the feature back, but they still have two backs they invested in before they drafted him.  I like the offense he's going to be him, but would you take him over someone like Todd Gurley or Jordan Howard? I don't like either of the offenses they are on.

Re Fournette I'm  a bit leery of the offense he is going to be in. Jags line really sucks and Ivory went from a decent fantasy player to a nobody behind that line. Agree about West as a late round flyer but Woodhead I think will be the main back there.

I play in a keeper/dynasty league. We can keep players under contract for up to 4 years, with a limited amount of years for both offense and defense. We run formations. so you can run 3 TE with 2 WR or 2 Te 2 WR 1 RB and so on. Many combinations here. You can also run 3-4 or 4-3 defense.  Total of 37 players including 5 taxi squad.  All players score similarly. So, J.J. Watt and Travis Kelce can make just as many points as Tom Brady

Happy with my offense so far but need to improve on defense. Just traded a few defensive guys for Jameis Winston because Carr's contract is almost up.

QB

Jamies Winston

Derick Carr

RB

Jay Ajayi

WR

Michael Thomas

TE

Rob Gronkowski

Travis Kelce

The only good defensive player I own right now is Deion Jones LB Faclons

Have not drafted yet, would like to get thoughts on Ezekiel Elliott.  I'll preface this my saying I take a very Machiavellian approach to fantasy football - I do not care if he is a girlfriend-abuser, drug dealer, or Dallas Cowboy (but i repeat myself).  This is a purely logical decision about acquisition cost and expected returns.

I can't really determine what his ADP is right now, because a lot of that is driven by pre-suspension drafts, where he is an obvious top 5 pick.  Now with the six game suspension, it will be interesting to see how far he drops.  I think i would take him in the second half of the third round.  Losing 6 games is like half of the regular season, but I'm confident I will make the playoffs even sitting my third rounder for that period of time, and the suspension greatly reduces the chance he will be injured in December, when the playoffs happen.  Thoughts?

Doing something new in a league I've been in forever this year, to try and keep people who are far back in the standings from not managing their teams like they should. It's a $50 12 team, maybe going down to 10 team league (anticipating a couple guys who always seem to stop paying attention dropping out). In the final standings, the last place owner has to pay an additional $25, Next to last-$20. third to last- $15. Maybe this is a common thing done now, but I hadn't heard of it before. Not sure yet how the additional money will be paid out. In the past, it was top 3 paid. Thought it was a pretty great idea.

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Have not drafted yet, would like to get thoughts on Ezekiel Elliott.  I'll preface this my saying I take a very Machiavellian approach to fantasy football - I do not care if he is a girlfriend-abuser, drug dealer, or Dallas Cowboy (but i repeat myself).  This is a purely logical decision about acquisition cost and expected returns.

I can't really determine what his ADP is right now, because a lot of that is driven by pre-suspension drafts, where he is an obvious top 5 pick.  Now with the six game suspension, it will be interesting to see how far he drops.  I think i would take him in the second half of the third round.  Losing 6 games is like half of the regular season, but I'm confident I will make the playoffs even sitting my third rounder for that period of time, and the suspension greatly reduces the chance he will be injured in December, when the playoffs happen.  Thoughts?

He's going in the 3rd round now.

3 hours ago, SoulSkin said:

Doing something new in a league I've been in forever this year, to try and keep people who are far back in the standings from not managing their teams like they should. It's a $50 12 team, maybe going down to 10 team league (anticipating a couple guys who always seem to stop paying attention dropping out). In the final standings, the last place owner has to pay an additional $25, Next to last-$20. third to last- $15. Maybe this is a common thing done now, but I hadn't heard of it before. Not sure yet how the additional money will be paid out. In the past, it was top 3 paid. Thought it was a pretty great idea.

Like that idea. You will need everyone to deposit the 25 up front though.

5 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Echoing what nonniey said, he seems to be going in the third rd, and that's where people are talking about targeting him from what I've seen. If you look at other RBs going in the third, it's guys like McCaffrey, Montgomery, and Hyde. If you think you can do good enough in those six weeks, seems like a decent risk to take. Have to have confidence in your other RBs you take, whenever you take them. I'm assuming you's take one with 1 or 2. To me, anywhere in the 3rd seems like it could pay off. Just got to be ready to zag, if someone else zigs first.

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

He's going in the 3rd round now.

Like that idea. You will need everyone to deposit the 25 up front though.

That's a good idea too. I'm not the commish, but I'll mention it. We all know each other pretty well though, so I'm not sure it's necessary for this league. There would be unpleasant consequences for any welcher.  

Considering who he plays for, I fully expect Zeke to get it reduced to 4 games. I took him at 13 in a 10 team league on Sat morning. But I went RB/RB to start. I just need to survive without him til week 8.

Standard scoring, QB, 3 WR, 2 RB,1 TE, 10 team league with snake draft.

This is who I took.

1-8 Freeman

2-13 Zeke

3-28 Pryor Sr.

4-33 Brees

5-48 Allen Robinson

6-53 Jimmy Graham

7-68 Desean Jackson

8-73 Brandon Marshall

9-88 Mark Ingram

10-93 Pierre Garcon

11-108 Fat Rob

12-113 Jordan Matthews (who I will likely drop soon)

13-128 Duke Johnson Jr (another drop candidate)

13-133 Terrance West

14-148 Rishard Matthews

I need to drop 2 and pick up a K and a D before the first week...Alf is also available..but I'm thinking McFadden gets the points until Zeke returns, right?

Some of my early targets ... no particular order ... most of these are upside guys for where they're being drafted. I won't build teams with all these guys but will certainly attempt to sprinkle them in throughout. 

Joe Mixon, Dalvin Cook, Terrelle Pryor, Golden Tate, John Brown, Marcus Mariota, Danny Woodhead, Leonard Fournette, Michael Crabtree, Davante Adams, Austin Hooper

I'm all over the research right now. I am starting the year with 2 keepers on a $220 cap .. David Johnson for $45 and Melvin Gordon for $20. So my RB1 and RB2 are set for a good price (Johnson is going for $65+ and Gordon around $50+ in most leagues) ...

RBs are always a risk and I'm a bit hesitant to rely too much on Melvin this year. He could fall off his projected RB5 status. But with so much influx at RB this year (new faces, vets, less certainty) I'm leaning more toward going in on the upside guys to fill in my RB3-5 spots. Here's how I've got them ranked and what they're currently going for in auctions (so their cost is def. part of my rank). These are all the guys that are either in their 1st or 2nd year who haven't had much in terms of playing time, yet. So your true "unknowns" in either their potential to perform or their actual roles in RBBCs at least to start.

1. Dalvin Cook - $7 (expect him to be closer to $20 in the draft, and emerge as the bell-cow in Minny)

2. Joe Mixon - $26 (expect him to be right around this price, and is it too rich? Maybe. He could be the next Bell/Johnson though, which makes this worth it.)

3. Leonard Fournette - $36 (bit pricy for a rookie but given his potential, probably a fair price)

4. Derrick Henry - $4 (Expect him to be a true share with Murray and could take over at some point as Murray is 29)

5. Paul Perkins - $3 (expect him to be closer to mid-teens since he's being handed the starter role)

6. Kareem Hunt - $3 (should supplant Spencer Ware at some point, but may need to be patient with him)

7. Christian McCaffrey - $29 (probably worth the value here, but just a bit too pricy for my liking on a rookie with an undefined role)

8. C.J. Prosise - $2 (probably emerges as a legit PPR back this year but could take over as he has the size to be a 3DB)

9. Alvin Kamara - $3 (expect him to have a defined "Sproles" role here, so he'll get touches while Ingram/Peterson split the traditional role)

10. Samaje Perine - $2 (was much higher on him and this could change, but for now Rob Kelley will likely dominate the early down back role)

And typically, when everyone focuses on the upside "breakout" candidates, there's always the steady-eddy's that aren't sexy but are consistent and reliable. Think low-ceiling, high floor. This year, with so many upside candidates getting the attention at RB, it opens the door for some solid workhorses who could be had for cheap.

1. C.J. Anderson - $10 (should be a consistent RB for Denver and he's going cheap)

2. Danny Woodhead - $2 (Gotta imagine his price goes up from $2, but he'll be cheap and will get a ton of targets in Baltimore)

3. Bilal Powell - $3 (again, someone has to touch the ball in New York, and Powell had a strong finish to 2017)

4. Carlos Hyde - $16 (keep in mind he's only entering his 3rd year, and despite bad offense, he should get the touches at least)

5. Jonathan Stewart - $3 (still has a strong role in Panthers rushing attack and he's strong when healthy)

6. Doug Martin - $6 (lot of issues/questions but he's a year removed from a bounce back campaign, so he's done it in multiple seasons)

7. Frank Gore - $3 (he's old but there's really no back-up option for carries - yet - so he's the definition of steady-eddy here)

Some others who would qualify are Eddie Lacy, Marshawn Lynch, Mark Ingram and AP are going for a bit too much $$ for my liking. Plus AP/Ingram is a weird combo and it's going to be hard to see who emerges there.

How do you guys feel about the upside and boring/consistent lists? Agree/disagree? Got others to add?

On 8/14/2017 at 1:18 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Considering who he plays for, I fully expect Zeke to get it reduced to 4 games. I took him at 13 in a 10 team league on Sat morning. But I went RB/RB to start. I just need to survive without him til week 8.

You mistake who has the power in the NFL. Mara calls the shots and he uses that power to gain advantages over his common opponents  one of which is the Cowboys.

Our draft is on the 29th  (I like them late to compensate for possible injuries and suspensions in preseason).  I don't like that we'll be doing 3 WRs, pool is going to drain really fast, but you know what, its all in good fun.  Gotta take down the commish, he's won 3 out of the last 4 years, but I've been beating him so there's plenty of trash talk to go around : )

I don't know why anyone would use a high pick on Zek.  Dude is out basically half the season, and you kinda gotta hope he isn't rusty or the Dallas defense is so inept that they'll be behind and throwing a lot.  I'm not touching him with a ten foot pole, and @nonniey is right, Mara is going to get in the way of reducing the suspension, so don't get your hopes up on that one.

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Our draft is on the 29th  (I like them late to compensate for possible injuries and suspensions in preseason).  I don't like that we'll be doing 3 WRs, pool is going to drain really fast, but you know what, its all in good fun.  Gotta take down the commish, he's won 3 out of the last 4 years, but I've been beating him so there's plenty of trash talk to go around : )

I don't know why anyone would use a high pick on Zek.  Dude is out basically half the season, and you kinda gotta hope he isn't rusty or the Dallas defense is so inept that they'll be behind and throwing a lot.  I'm not touching him with a ten foot pole, and @nonniey is right, Mara is going to get in the way of reducing the suspension, so don't get your hopes up on that one.

I have played 3 WRs in a 12 team league.  It doesn't get drained really fast.  

Well had a draft tonight thought it went well, not great but well.  WRs are below average but other positions are strong. Thoughts?

PPR Superflex format can start 1 QBs, 1 RBs, 3WRs, 1 TE, 1 Flex QB/RB,  1 Flex RB/WR/TE, K, D (Will pick up a K before week 1). Starting line up bolded

Cousins, Kirk QB WAS 5 2.12
Prescott, Dak QB DAL 6 4.12
Palmer, Carson QB ARI 8 9.1
Hoyer, Brian QB SFO 11 16.12
Savage, Tom QB HOU 7 17.1
Johnson, David RB ARI 8 1.1
Murray, Demarco RB TEN 8 3.1
Hunt, Kareem RB KCC 10 11.1
Hill, Jeremy RB CIN 6 15.1
Mack, Marlon RB IND 11 18.12
Diggs, Stefon WR MIN 9 6.12
Benjamin, Kelvin WR CAR 11 7.1