Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was your favorite film of the 1980's?

Ron78

What was your favorite film of the 1980's?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favorite film of the 1980's?

• The Empire Strikes Back
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    • Blade Runner
    • Return of the Jedi
    • The Terminator
    • Back to the Future
    • Aliens
    • The Princess Bride
    • Die Hard
    • Batman
    • Other

13 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Well...It's better than TPM.  But that's the worst thing you could ever say about any piece of art...

#faintpraise

I don't think so.  Despite TPM's flaws, Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, and Ray Park were all bright spots in that movie.  I also like the way they depicted Palpetine's rise.  TFA didn't have any bright spots for me.  Virtually everything sucked about it.

15 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

I don't think so.  Despite TPM's flaws, Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, and Ray Park were all bright spots in that movie.  I also like the way they depicted Palpetine's rise.  TFA didn't have any bright spots for me.  Virtually everything sucked about it.

Liam Neeson was dull, dull, dull, dull, DULL...McGregor was passable. Samuel L. Jackson took me out of the movie everytime he was on screen...he was never a character in a movie, he was only Jackson in Star Wars. Horrible casting decision. Horrible. The acting overall was mediocre almost across the board, and quite possibly the best villain in movie history was portrayed by gawd-awful actors--no movie based on Darth Vader should be that limp and acted that miserably. I don't even want to go into the dialogue.

I can watch A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back to this day and still thoroughly enjoy both...I can't even sit through any of the prequels without turning it off like a third of the way in. I've tried lol...

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Liam Neeson was dull, dull, dull, dull, DULL...McGregor was passable. Samuel L. Jackson took me out of the movie everytime he was on screen...he was never a character in a movie, he was only Jackson in Star Wars. Horrible casting decision. Horrible. The acting overall was mediocre almost across the board, and quite possibly the best villain in movie history was portrayed by gawd-awful actors--no movie based on Darth Vader should be that limp and acted that miserably. I don't even want to go into the dialogue.

I can watch A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back to this day and still thoroughly enjoy both...I can't even sit through any of the prequels without turning it off like a third of the way in. I've tried lol...

Agree to disagree on this one.  TFA not only had dull characters and ****ty acting and overacting, it was also unoriginal. 

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Says you.

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The original (first) Star Wars was unoriginal...not sure any of them were original, actually lol...

Some more original than others.

Princess Bride for me.  Original, funny as hell and full of one liners.  

Can't blame those picking Empire though - great movie.  

Some notable ones left off (not that I'm judging) - Platoon, Breakfast Club, Full Metal Jacket, Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Ghostbusters.  

Edit:  Oh, and The Shining

Lot of great choices here.  For me it was between Blade Runner, BTTF, Empire Strikes Back, and Raiders.  I had to go with Raiders.  Probably have seen that one more times than the others combined.  My highest ambition as a child was to be a treasure hunting Nazi killing Egyptologist.  I have sadly only achieved two of those three dreams.

Wow.  3 of my top 5 movies ever are in there.  Empire, Jedi and BTTF.

Empire Strikes Back is my choice.

23 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Empire is probably the best movie 

But give me Bishop and a smart gun any day. 

Man Aliens?!?!  I couldn't get in to Alien or Aliens for the life of me.  I tried, I swear I tried.  Just didn't reel me in.

Predator was the Tiddy Tips for me.  Totally got me.  Seen that joint like 20 times.  When they ended up facing off in Alien vs. Predator, I rooted HARD for Ricky Williams to wreck them ugly ant dragons.

12 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Man Aliens?!?!  I couldn't get in to Alien or Aliens for the life of me.  I tried, I swear I tried.  Just didn't reel me in.

Dude...i thought I knew you. :(

I'd still go with Empire as the movie of the 80s. It's a genuinely great movie and it's impact on both film and culture push it over the top.

also. THe Force Awakens was awesome. Only complaint I had was that it was so similar to ANH. But oh well they played it safe. Had excellent and memorable characters for a new generation, good effects, a great mix of nostalgia with planting a new and compelling story with new mysteries to uncover.

Rey was badass. Finn was funny and cool. Kylo was great IMO. The snowy forest fight was a great setting and is the best lightsaber fight in the entire saga. It was far better than 'old men poking with sticks' in the OT or the Dance Dance Revolution battles of the PT. 

Come at me 

On 5/29/2017 at 10:30 PM, Ron78 said:

Agree to disagree on this one.  TFA not only had dull characters and ****ty acting and overacting, it was also unoriginal. 

And yet it WASN'T the Prequels. The Prequels nearly killed the franchise. TFA at  least resurrected some hope that the franchise

could be good again. 

4 hours ago, Keith Huddleston said:

And yet it WASN'T the Prequels. The Prequels nearly killed the franchise. TFA at  least resurrected some hope that the franchise

could be good again. 

The prequels never put the franchise in danger of being "killed."  Episodes I & III were the highest grossing films in the years that the were released and Episode II was the third highest grossing film in the year it was released.  They made a killing off of those movies, th movies just haven't aged well.  The hate for them grew over time.

10 hours ago, Ron78 said:

The prequels never put the franchise in danger of being "killed."  Episodes I & III were the highest grossing films in the years that the were released and Episode II was the third highest grossing film in the year it was released.  They made a killing off of those movies, th movies just haven't aged well.  The hate for them grew over time.

LOL All I know is my hate for them was pretty much on seeing them. In fact I didn't see Attack of the Clones for a second time, I hated it so much, which

is rare for me and a Star Wars movie.

32 minutes ago, Keith Huddleston said:

LOL All I know is my hate for them was pretty much on seeing them. In fact I didn't see Attack of the Clones for a second time, I hated it so much, which

is rare for me and a Star Wars movie.

Fact: The Star Wars franchise was never in danger.  Star Wars has always been one of the most marketable franchises in the entertainment industry.  Even the prequels made bank.

Archived