Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 MLB Thread

Riggo#44

Who are you guys rooting for in the Series?

I have no horse in this race.  As long as the Yankees and Sox didn't make it in, that's all that mattered for me.

I think I'm pulling for the Dodgers.  Kershaw is the definitive pitcher of his generation, I'd like to see him have two good starts and get a ring.  That said, if Altuve and Verlander walk away with one, I'd be pretty happy for them, too.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Riiiiight...the Lerners are known to just throw money around left and right, eat bad contracts and just add salary at a whim...

Opening Day payroll for the Nats was at $167 million.  Not exactly a small market, penny pinching team.  

Is all of that payroll nice and lean? Or are there some bloated, bad contracts on there?  

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Opening Day payroll for the Nats was at $167 million.  Not exactly a small market, penny pinching team.  

Is all of that payroll nice and lean? Or are there some bloated, bad contracts on there?  

Here is the rundown for the players NOT on the WS roster:

Carl Crawford 21.6 M

Adrian Gonzalez: $22.36M
Scott Kazmir 17.6 M
Brandon McCarthy  11.5 M
Hyun-Jin Ryu 7.8 M
Alex Guerrero 7.5 M
Erisbel Arruebarrena 5.5 M
Hector Olivera 4.7 M
Matt Kemp  3.5 M
Yaisel Sierra 3.5 M

Total: $105.46M

Their total dollars committed to 2017, per Baseball-Reference: $277.3M

BTW, Baltimore Orioles, per Baseball-Reference: $176.9M, so they could clearly do it too, right?

The salary stuff is overblown. Don’t bash the teams with money because other owners choose to line their own pockets instead. 

When the other teams actually invest the money back into the team and build a team with quality draft picks etc they always compete such as the Rays of the late 00s, the Royals, Indians, Astros etc etc. 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The salary stuff is overblown. Don’t bash the teams with money because other owners choose to line their own pockets instead. 

When the other teams actually invest the money back into the team and build a team with quality draft picks etc they always compete such as the Rays of the late 00s, the Royals, Indians, Astros etc etc. 

Completely misses the issue, with a fantastic straw man arguement. How many of these teams can swallow $105 million in payroll and not be destroyed for years to come?

5 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Completely misses the issue, with a fantastic straw man arguement. How many of these teams can swallow $105 million in payroll and not be destroyed for years to come?

i think you're just butthurt cause they beat the Nats. 

And it's more like 65 million.  You're lumping guys like Crawford (who's no longer in the MLB) or Matt Kemp (now in ATL) in with guys like Adrian Gonzalez (back injury),and  Brandon McCarthy (actually on the WS roster, but let's not let facts get in the way of a good Riggo#44 rant) who suited up for the Dodgers this year and played for the team.  There's a difference between a bad contract for an aging veteran, yet clubhouse leader like Gonzalez who's physically unable to perform  and a pitcher like McCarthy who had a sub 4.00 ERA compared to a guy like Crawford who's a true albatross.

I'm assuming you don't care about the differences here.  Anyway, keep telling me why I should be mad that the Dodgers are paying Erisbel Arruebarrena not to play in the postseason.

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

i think you're just butthurt cause they beat the Nats. 

And it's more like 65 million.  You're lumping guys like Crawford (who's no longer in the MLB) or Matt Kemp (now in ATL) in with guys like Adrian Gonzalez (back injury),and  Brandon McCarthy (actually on the WS roster, but let's not let facts get in the way of a good Riggo#44 rant) who suited up for the Dodgers this year and played for the team.  There's a difference between a bad contract for an aging veteran, yet clubhouse leader like Gonzalez who's physically unable to perform  and a pitcher like McCarthy who had a sub 4.00 ERA compared to a guy like Crawford who's a true albatross.

I'm assuming you don't care about the differences here.  Anyway, keep telling me why I should be mad that the Dodgers are paying Erisbel Arruebarrena not to play in the postseason.

I'm sorry, did I post anything untrue? I posted nothing but evidence from Baseball-reference. I'm not ranting at all. You can dice it up anyway you like, it doesn't change the fact that the Dodgers have an almost unlimited budget. It doesn't buy you championships, but it certainly gives you a lot of freedom to swallow mistakes.

And for the record, I was glad they beat the Cubs.

But of this was the Yankees....

Archived