Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What can the franchise do to re-engage? Was this Dan's last new way to fail?

TGI Jef

Just now, skinsfan66 said:

Has any one suggested a day without Redskin fans. Have it on draft day party or at fan appreciation day in Richmond or a preseason game. It seems to be the these days to get a point across. 

Yes you started a thread on it today. Maybe you should boycott the team's official message board? That will show them...

22 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Three way trade with the 49ers and Pats that gets us Jimmy G, gets the 49ers Cousins, and gets the Pats a couple high draft picks.

No. It still gives Cousins to Kyle.

- Dan Snyder

If the 49ers aren't willing to give up draft picks to us, then why would they bother with the Pats?

Looks like we're going to spend more than Andrew Luck money on a QB that no one is even willing to trade for. 

On 3/10/2017 at 1:30 PM, TGI Jef said:

, and if that is the case I think a new stadium (in the not-so-distant future) is when it has to happen. This past week has been as low as a franchise can go. It has transcended football incompetence, and waded into the gray area of personal attack’s on a human being. It has been disgusting, and the only way to rid of this is with an entire renaming and rebranding.

•  

I was 50/50 on the name change before this week, but am now certain that I want it included as part of whatever plan emerges going forward. I can’t imagine Dan disagrees – after all, maybe that is his last new way to fail.

You had me until this stupid (yes stupid is the right description) idea. The name changers have been decisively defeated and you'd pull defeat from the jaws of victory - really?

As for the rest the younger fans have a chance to outlive Snyder for the rest of us we will just have to be happy with memories of past glory.

It's interesting that the op considers back to back winning seasons failing. I also think the team has done a very good job in free agency. They didnt over pay for aging veterans. They signed two DL with some question marks but a lot of upside as well. They signed the best FA safety I had on my board. And it doesnt look like they are done. They have locked up the QB they like (at least for this year). Which is smart because if you lose him next year, next years draft will be absolutely STACKED at the QB position. Yes they lost their GM. But this is guy that has been lost too two other teams as well. It's not like other franchises havent had the same issues with the guy.  Not to blast the op. But the negativity and flat out over reaction on this site over the past few days has been straight up comical.

I have been struggling to not open my yap and add to the anguish, but what the hell, I don't think it matters anymore.

The one and only thing I believe that offers any hope whatsoever is a change of ownership. TheDan has a well documented history of dragging us all through the **** year after year, at some point even he has to admit that he just doesn't have the faintest idea what he's doing, and sell the team for the good of the team. The only way to even earn the slightest benefit of the doubt around the league and allow us to even consider top talent in running things is a clean slate.

Goddamit Dan, stop prattling on about what a ****ing fan you are, you're not! No fan of this team could wreak the havoc you have and still lay claim to any kind of fanhood. You you YOU are the problem, you can't "fix" it, you can't "sell" it anymore, you need to have an epiphany and just accept that you will never own a winning Redskins team, the two stances are mutually exclusive.

On 3/10/2017 at 7:57 PM, RedskinsMayne said:

Honestly I think it's kinda silly to rag on Dan about what has happened. No indication he was involved...

I have no idea how anybody could take this position. Do you think it's an accident SM it's just another in a long list of accomplished  professionals who left Redskins Park in tatters under Snyder? If nothing else you need to blame him for the hiring of George's son and most importantly for lying to you when he said SM had total control.

I just can't do it anymore.  My wife chuckles when I say it as I'm such a hardcore fan but I'm done.  I feel like a scorned lover who wishes nothing but bad things on the former love of my life.

11 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

It's interesting that the op considers back to back winning seasons failing. I also think the team has done a very good job in free agency. They didnt over pay for aging veterans. 

What? Isn't Vernon Davis an aging veteran? And yeah they massively over paid to resign him (almost certainly paid almost twice as much as they needed to). Although not aging vets yet you have to add the huge over payments for McGee and McLain and you are happy with that??? 

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have no idea how anybody could take this position. Do you think it's an accident SM it's just another in a long list of accomplished  professionals who left Redskins Park in tatters under Snyder? If nothing else you need to blame him for the hiring of George's son and most importantly for lying to you when he said SM had total control.

I just can't do it anymore.  My wife chuckles when I say it as I'm such a hardcore fan but I'm done.  I feel like a scorned lover who wishes nothing but bad things on the former love of my life.

Well, AFAIK, scott offered no indications that he was treated unfairly, and neither did his wife. And that **** was all up in the medias face. I think the FO has made a few mistakes, but, maybe this ain't one of them. From all reports, Bruce is following scots plan, which would seem to say it wasn't a power struggle, since if the both agree what's to struggle over.

58 minutes ago, RedskinsMayne said:

Well, AFAIK, scott offered no indications that he was treated unfairly, and neither did his wife. And that **** was all up in the medias face. I think the FO has made a few mistakes, but, maybe this ain't one of them. From all reports, Bruce is following scots plan, which would seem to say it wasn't a power struggle, since if the both agree what's to struggle over.

Did you not hear Bruce and Danny pronounce that SM had total control of all thing regarding personnel when he was hired?  Then please explain why they retained every single scout and did not bring in any of SM's guys?   There have been numerous reports of a power struggle regarding personnel, why would that occur if SM had the power?    How about the account of Bruce chirping about the year Murphey and Moses had, then making sure everyone knew they were his picks.  How could that not been seen as a jealous power struggle?  SM took the high road.  Shanny took the high road as did Marty and everyone else who was fired in Ashburn.  That hardly means they left on good terms. 

Skins need to do a few things to achieve "glamour" and overcome the myth of incompetence.

Here are 5 things they can and should do asap:

1.  Hire Mayock as GM.

2.  Draft Chris McCaffrey (or John Ross at 17) and trade up to bottom of 1st to Draft Mahommes.

3.  Announce new Uni designs with a changed, but aggressive new Logo design.

4.  Announce plans to build a new Stadium in 2018.

5.  Make a splash on FA by signing DHightower away from Pats. 

These steps will resurrect Skins' image, make the Team a "darling" of the sports media complex, and ... win or lose .. it will again be fun to be a fan.

PS:  No need to mention Kirk ... he has become irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Did you not hear Bruce and Danny pronounce that SM had total control of all thing regarding personnel when he was hired?  Then please explain why they retained every single scout and did not bring in any of SM's guys?   There have been numerous reports of a power struggle regarding personnel, why would that occur if SM had the power?    How about the account of Bruce chirping about the year Murphey and Moses had, then making sure everyone knew they were his picks.  How could that not been seen as a jealous power struggle?  SM took the high road.  Shanny took the high road as did Marty and everyone else who was fired in Ashburn.  That hardly means they left on good terms. 

Obviously SM was OK with them keeping their scouts. He took the job. Wow. Everyone taking the high road and remaining mum. Find it hard to believe that no one would have spilled the beans. Especially scotts wife. She didnt take the highroad in dealing with the media, why would should she do it with some pos owner. Yea, the media likes to drum up stuff for clicks.... shocking. Until i hear from scott or the team there isnt much to the story of a power struggle. 

15 minutes ago, RedskinsMayne said:

Obviously SM was OK with them keeping their scouts. He took the job. Wow. Everyone taking the high road and remaining mum. Find it hard to believe that no one would have spilled the beans. Especially scotts wife. She didnt take the highroad in dealing with the media, why would should she do it with some pos owner. Yea, the media likes to drum up stuff for clicks.... shocking. Until i hear from scott or the team there isnt much to the story of a power struggle. 

It's entirely possible that he took the job with the same belief we had, then he found out later things were different.  What GM would not want his own guys, come on now.  I'm not trying to pick a fight, just wondering what on Earth Daniel Snyder has done that would lead you to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Do you really believe Shanny left on good terms after the owner sided with the QB and then fired him?  You never heard him trash Snyder either and I find it hard to believe you feel he was OK with the way things ended for him here.  Same with Marty and Vinny for that matter.

The way to get another job is to take the high road.  This hardly means he and his wife are just fine with the way everything went down in DC.  Nobody leaves here happy.  Nobody. Other than the one Shanny interview which was more about Robert none of them spoke up about Daniel Snyder even years later. 

Were following Scot's plan.  (What a crock of **** they are throwing out there to cover there asses) No this is the clown's plan . Scot's okay with this. You can't fight the men with the power too long when they want to play again. Its best to take the Money and get away from this as fast as you can.  The offseason has sucked so far, you let your best D-lineman go and sign another Dallas reject and another who has not proved anything for the same money each as Baker got from Tampa Bay.  you did not even talk to your best free agents to even see if there was a shot at resigning them. Now Kirk's situation is completely ****ed up. Why won't kirk negotiate if Allen is involved, WHY? Could it be he was the one who messed the deal up last year? Past History points to the clowns.

<STAFF EDIT, RULE 6, PLEASE DONT CIRCUMVENT THE PROFANITY FILTERS> 

On 3/12/2017 at 3:16 AM, bobandweave said:

You lost me on the epic 2011 draft failure comment we got Ryan Kerrigan that year

Kerrigan is a solid player. Not a superstar, but a solid, perennial pro bowl contender. I am glad they traded back instead of drafting Blaine Gabbert. Kerrigan is a very nice defensive piece.

But they did very little with many valuable picks. Helu was nice, and the Niles Paul saga has been generally unlucky, but there are a ton of other guys they couldve ended up with:

JJ Watt

Robert Quinn

Cameron Jordan (there will be those who say Kerrigan is better, but Jordan is likely the superior player in my mind)

Justin Houston (in the second round)

etc.

While most drafts can be retrofitted with "why didnt they draft ______?" questions several years later, Watt, Quinn, and especially Jordan (after the trade back) were available at positions of heavy need. At times they were even linked to Watt and Quinn in mock drafts (which, I understand, is nothing official - but drafting these guys would not have been completely out of left field. When the Redskins were finally on the clock at 16, many fans expected Cam Jordan).

In the 2011 draft, the Redskins avoided a landmine in the first round, which - in that draft - is somewhat noteworthy. But after trading out of the 10 spot, and with 12 picks, it is not a good sign that only 2 remained on the roster heading into 2016.

I have nothing against Kerrigan. He is a good player, and a good Redskin overall. But this draft was not a success.

23 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

It's interesting that the op considers back to back winning seasons failing. I also think the team has done a very good job in free agency. They didnt over pay for aging veterans. They signed two DL with some question marks but a lot of upside as well. They signed the best FA safety I had on my board. And it doesnt look like they are done. They have locked up the QB they like (at least for this year). Which is smart because if you lose him next year, next years draft will be absolutely STACKED at the QB position. Yes they lost their GM. But this is guy that has been lost too two other teams as well. It's not like other franchises havent had the same issues with the guy.  Not to blast the op. But the negativity and flat out over reaction on this site over the past few days has been straight up comical.

I should clarify - I do not consider the past 2 seasons a failure. Whatever one might think of the individuals, the Redskins had a GM, a coach, and a potential future at QB.

About 20 weeks ago, I think we all assumed those 3 entities were in this - an organization with a positive trajectory - for the long haul. Fast forward, and we may have a coach, but we have lost the GM and the QB situation is somehow fuzzier than ever.

It's not the last 2 seasons that have been a failure. It's this era. It's this process. It's the fact that the pieces were in place for this segment of Redskins history, and Snyder blew it up. Even in that situation with that setup, he has failed to capitalize on promise.

14 minutes ago, TGI Jef said:

Kerrigan is a solid player. Not a superstar, but a solid, perennial pro bowl contender.

Ryan is

2 time probowler

All Rookie team member

A guy who leads the league since joining in hustle sack strip fumble plays

A guy who single handily won us games

A guy who now is at 3rd for the franchise all time sack leaders list

He's good, you said the 2011 draft was an epic failure.

You need to understand what epic failures actually are before speaking about a draft again like this. Do you even know what an epic failure draft looks like? Try the 1999 Saints when they traded not only every pick they had in a single years draft plus their first and third round picks the next year for a player who was gone three years later, never made a probowl or an All Pro team while there. That's an epic failure draft.

An epic failure draft is not a draft where you look back on and say some malarkey like you just said above about "well we could have had this guy or that one". Hindsight is 20/20, and in hindsight you can look at every single draft and say "We should have done this, or that instead" but when your getting an 85 year old franchise teams 3rd most sacker in history that's not an epic failure. 2011 was clearly not this teams worst draft.

Your overall tldr post was wrong on so many levels, you just got me to stop reading when you said that and clearly you don't know what your talking about even now.  

21 hours ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Here are 5 things they can and should do asap:

1.  Hire Mayock as GM.- Hell no, good grief. Horrible idea. How about getting someone with credentials not some draft boy for a TV network. He's on no one's hire for GM list

2.  Draft Chris McCaffrey (or John Ross at 17) and trade up to bottom of 1st to Draft Mahommes. - Drafting a RB at 17 would be stupid when capable guys can be had in FA who cost us nothing but cash. John Ross isn't good, he's fast big deal. Trading back into the first round will cost us next years first. No thank you to both ideas they hurt us big time and I'd be pissed if we did either

3.  Announce new Uni designs with a changed, but aggressive new Logo design. - Ummm why? Huh??

4.  Announce plans to build a new Stadium in 2018. - Already in the works, Bruce is cemented in his position because of works he's done to get this done.

5.  Make a splash on FA by signing DHightower away from Pats. - I have no doubt he would improve us, giving those guys more ammunition? No thanks. Also seriously doubt with him he adds more then one win a season overall so what's the point of this

9 minutes ago, TGI Jef said:

I should clarify - I do not consider the past 2 seasons a failure. Whatever one might think of the individuals, the Redskins had a GM, a coach, and a potential future at QB.

About 20 weeks ago, I think we all assumed those 3 entities were in this - an organization with a positive trajectory - for the long haul. Fast forward, and we may have a coach, but we have lost the GM and the QB situation is somehow fuzzier than ever.

It's not the last 2 seasons that have been a failure. It's this era. It's this process. It's the fact that the pieces were in place for this segment of Redskins history, and Snyder blew it up. Even in that situation with that setup, he has failed to capitalize on promise.

I get the sense that most of the fan base didn't really care that Scot had a problem, just as long as he got the right players. SMH! It was going to happen. I had my fingers crossed that it wouldn't. But........

Synder gave the man a chance and we embraced Scot. We can point fingers all day at who is at fault. It doesn't matter. The Skins weren't going to get any benefit of the doubt because of Synders past.

I've been as tough on the team as anybody as the last few weeks have unfolded, but I do still concede that we have to play the games.  If they go out and win 10 games, all will be forgotten.  Winning engages people.

Still barely into free agency, still have the draft, this thing is far from over.  We could hit the start of training camp actually enthused about the state of the team. The FA +/- is probably even to slightly minus so far.  Nothing to get too worked out about just yet cuz there's still decent moves out there that could be made.

11 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

An epic failure draft is not a draft where you look back on and say some malarkey like you just said above about "well we could have had this guy or that one". Hindsight is 20/20, and in hindsight you can look at every single draft and say "We should have done this, or that instead" but when your getting an 85 year old franchise teams 3rd most sacker in history that's not an epic failure. 2011 was clearly not this teams worst draft.

Yes, I agree - which is why I specifically addressed this kind of thinking. This is not a "WHY DIDNT WE DRAFT TOM BRADY"-type scenario. 

Kerrigan is a nice piece. He can be a pro bowl player. But he is not an All Pro-caliber pass rusher/playmaker on the level of Watt/Quinn/etc., and those guys were sitting there at positions of need. Quinn had the brain tumor issue that may have scared teams away, but these were not out-of-nowhere potential picks. They were available as high possibilities to be drafted by the Redskins. Ending up with Kerrigan after trading back wouldve been made far more palatable if the Redskins would've hit on other draft picks, which they did not for the most part.

Is this a 1999 Saints draft? No - it's not. But with 12 picks, they needed to do more. That draft was an abject failure.

5 minutes ago, TGI Jef said:

Yes, I agree - which is why I specifically addressed this kind of thinking. This is not a "WHY DIDNT WE DRAFT TOM BRADY"-type scenario. 

Kerrigan is a nice piece. "He can be a pro bowl player" - No he IS a probowl player. You need to get a clue what you say like this and like your wrong statement about "the 2011 draft was an epic failure" nonsense. You make the same mistakes too many times. Ryan just made the pro bowl in the most recent season anyone saw play. There isn't no "can be" in that statement. He is a pro bowl player. Stop with these over the top generalities.

Is this a 1999 Saints draft? No - it's not. But with 12 picks, they needed to do more. That draft was an abject failure. - The only failures I am seeing here are your own posts. Not only are you completely wrong about saying the 11 draft was an epic failure when I show you what an epic failure draft actually looks like you still can't get it.   Go on and think that the draft where we got Kerrigan was an epic failure. That like your numbered list were wrong as well. Can't fix that for you

I have no issue whatsoever with a business hiring and firing employees as it pleases.  But in that same line of thought, when deciding whether something was a good move or not, timing has to be taken into account.  I don't think anyone here is going to take the stance that firing your GM around the combine time is a good idea.  And if you "HAVE TO GET THIS GUY OUTTA HERE!", you knew before now.  Let's be real.

Archived