Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

February 22, 1980: The Miracle On Ice

Riggo#44

I was in HS when this happened.  I think I was at a Swim Meet and did not see it on TV.  Given all the crap that was happening in the US at that time, this was a huge lift for everybody.

BTW, I still like:

"Riggins takes the handoff...Good Hole...breaks a tackle at the 40 and HE'S GONE!! The 35...the 30...HE'S GONE HE'S GONE!! TOUCHDOWN WASHINGTON REDSKINS!!!!"

It was literally the best sports moment in American history.

Never had a game meant so much to a country.  I know it is hard to find, but try to watch the HBO special they did about that team. 

The biggest upset as it was literally boys against men, just a week after the 'boys' lost 10-3.  Even the pros couldn't handle the Russians.

As for the game, I didn't know when I was watching it that the game was actually played mid-afternoon.  The Soviets wouldn't move the game time, so ABC decided to show it tape-delay and not release the score.  Imagine trying that today.  They even went with the typical US television rules, running commercials during the game (there were no breaks during the periods to allow for commercials).  Every time they went to commercial, I can remember waiting with a pit in my stomach, praying USSR wouldn't score.  Eruzione describes the last 10 minutes as the longest of his life.  I ran outside after the finial whistle, and there were all my neighbors, outside, cheering and changing USA, USA.  It was wonderful.

The other funny part was that they still had to beat the Fins on Sunday morning to win the Gold.  As Herb Brooks told his players going into the 3rd period:  

“If you lose this game you will take it with you to your f-ing graves." As he started to leave the locker room, he stopped, turned around and added, "Your f-ing graves.”  (and he didn't say effing).  

12 minutes ago, btfoom said:

Never had a game meant so much to a country.  I know it is hard to find, but try to watch the HBO special they did about that team. 

The biggest upset as it was literally boys against men, just a week after the 'boys' lost 10-3.  Even the pros couldn't handle the Russians.

As for the game, I didn't know when I was watching it that the game was actually played mid-afternoon.  The Soviets wouldn't move the game time, so ABC decided to show it tape-delay and not release the score.  Imagine trying that today.  They even went with the typical US television rules, running commercials during the game (there were no breaks during the periods to allow for commercials).  Every time they went to commercial, I can remember waiting with a pit in my stomach, praying USSR wouldn't score.  Eruzione describes the last 10 minutes as the longest of his life.  I ran outside after the finial whistle, and there were all my neighbors, outside, cheering and changing USA, USA.  It was wonderful.

The other funny part was that they still had to beat the Fins on Sunday morning to win the Gold.  As Herb Brooks told his players going into the 3rd period:  

“If you lose this game you will take it with you to your f-ing graves." As he started to leave the locker room, he stopped, turned around and added, "Your f-ing graves.”  (and he didn't say effing).  

If there was one sporting event I could go to, at any time, it would be this one. I was only 4 when it happened, so I don't remember it. But even watching the documentaries, re-watching that call, it's chill-inducing.

And the coaching job Herb Brooks did makes Bill Belicheck look like Jim Zorn.

20 minutes ago, btfoom said:

I think that's certainly true of our generation.

I have to imagine that Jesse Owens thumbing his nose at Hitler must have been pretty amazing too... especially given hindsight. It is possible that the Miracle on Ice was better if only because America and much of the world was in denial (although some already knew) what Hitler's Germany was about.

46 minutes ago, btfoom said:

I was in junior high living near Philly and cheated by calling this number that gave sports scores when I got home from school, so I knew the result of the game before watching it that night.

But particular to the DC area, didn't one of the anchors (think it was Renee Pouissant) for the local ABC affiliate let the cat out of the bag during one of the commercial breaks by saying "Coming up at 11........big hockey upset!!"

Was too young to watch or remember the game, but seen the movie Miracle (one of the best sports movies ever), and some documentaries.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Olympics still have an "amateur" rule back then?  So our best players weren't even playing ?  Whereas for the Russians it was their best players because the Red Army Team was considered "amateur" since they weren't officially paid?   Or maybe it was something about the NHL not participating ?  Not to mention the fact that the Russians had been practicing together for years whereas the US team was thrown together over a few months.

28 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Olympics still have an "amateur" rule back then?  So our best players weren't even playing ?  Whereas for the Russians it was their best players because the Red Army Team was considered "amateur" since they weren't officially paid?   Or maybe it was something about the NHL not participating ?  Not to mention the fact that the Russians had been practicing together for years whereas the US team was thrown together over a few months.

I'm pretty sure you're right. A famous match between the Soviets and an NHL team happened several years earlier. I think the Soviets played a series of NHL team, but one game in particular was against the Flyers and Philly roughed up the Soviets to the point where they left the ice mid-game, returning only when they were told that they wouldn't be paid If they didn't come back and finish the game.

9 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I'm pretty sure you're right. A famous match between the Soviets and an NHL team happened several years earlier. I think the Soviets played a series of NHL team, but one game in particular was against the Flyers and Philly roughed up the Soviets to the point where they left the ice mid-game, returning only when they were told that they wouldn't be paid If they didn't come back and finish the game.

This is literally the only time I've been glad Philadelphia is part of the US.

16 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm mad I missed that--do you know where it's available?

I didn't watch the whole thing, but it looks like this is the entire show:

http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index/_/id/3016436/30-for-30-of-miracles-and-men

14 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Was too young to watch or remember the game, but seen the movie Miracle (one of the best sports movies ever), and some documentaries.

Correct.  The Soviets got around the 'amateur' rule by having all of their top athletes join the "Army".  They got paid to train for the Olympics under the guise of being in the Army.

The US (and most other countries) could only send amateurs, so the US was mostly college kids.

On 2/22/2017 at 7:10 PM, Burgold said:

I think that's certainly true of our generation.

I have to imagine that Jesse Owens thumbing his nose at Hitler must have been pretty amazing too... especially given hindsight. It is possible that the Miracle on Ice was better if only because America and much of the world was in denial (although some already knew) what Hitler's Germany was about.

The crew team from that years Olympics was pretty amazing, too.  Especially considering the stroke passed out halfway through the final race and they found a way to win.  They had similar odds against them compared to other countries.  Of course rowing isn't nearly as popular as it used to be in this country but the Boys in The Boat is a fantastic book that documents it all.  

Miracle on Ice is hard to beat, though I think Buster Douglas beating Tyson is up there too.  I think part of the reason Miracle on Ice gets so much hype (rightfully) is because it was against the Russians.  If it were against a country of no circumstance at the time like Sweden, we would probably never talk about it.  Buster Douglas beating Tyson might have had similar odds but not nearly (if any) the cultural impact.

Can't think of another bigger upset strictly due to the fact that it was against the Russians.  

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Can't think of another bigger upset strictly due to the fact that it was against the Russians.  

This.  It was "us" against "them", more specifically to politics than sports.  Put it on ice, with sticks and a circular piece of vulcanized rubber. 

It's my 4th favorite sports memory, our 3 SB wins are easily the top 3.

HTTR!

On 2/22/2017 at 9:23 PM, DCSaints_fan said:

Yup! A bunch of college kids from Minnesota and Boston University etc. went out and beat an unbeatable machine. It was nothing short of miraculous, truly. That Russian team had some of the greatest players in the history of the sport. We had guys, most of whom never made the NHL.

My college professor attended, he said as people walked out of the arena, the feeling of happiness and togetherness was something he's never experienced before or since.

3 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Yup! A bunch of college kids from Minnesota and Boston University etc. went out and beat an unbeatable machine. It was nothing short of miraculous, truly. That Russian team had some of the greatest players in the history of the sport. We had guys, most of whom never made the NHL.

My college professor attended, he said as people walked out of the arena, the feeling of happiness and togetherness was something he's never experienced before or since.

I remember reading that cars stopped in the road when the final was announced over the radio.  Strangers literally stopped what they were doing and started hugging and cheering USA.  Still get goosebumps when I watch those final seconds tick off.

Archived