Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Trump intends to announce his Supreme Court pick on Feb. 2

visionary

SOMEONE is going to eventually extend this to legislative items. Either the Republicans now if a little down the road they don't get their way on a legislative vote and say "**** it" or the Democrats if/when they take back power as a giant "**** you" to the Republicans for going nuclear in the first place.

The Senate is going to be very dysfunctional for a long time I think. This is really really bad and is going to poison the well in the Senate for many years to come.

5 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Sandra Day O'Connor retired at least 10 years ago.

You meant Ruth Bader Ginsburg, I believe.

Glad you verified, I was tripping there for a minute.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

SOMEONE is going to eventually extend this to legislative items. Either the Republicans now if a little down the road they don't get their way on a legislative vote and say "**** it" or the Democrats if/when they take back power as a giant "**** you" to the Republicans for going nuclear in the first place.

The Senate is going to be very dysfunctional for a long time I think. This is really really bad and is going to poison the well in the Senate for many years to come.

The GOP just went nuclear as a giant **** you to the Dems for going nuclear in the first place. Harry Reid removed the filibuster first and provided a blueprint and precedence for the GOP to follow.

See, that works both ways. If the Dems do something similar in the future, they can't point to the GOP being the first...

1 minute ago, Popeman38 said:

The GOP just went nuclear as a giant **** you to the Dems for going nuclear in the first place. Harry Reid removed the filibuster first and provided a blueprint and precedence for the GOP to follow.

See, that works both ways. If the Dems do something similar in the future, they can't point to the GOP being the first...

LOL...I enjoy watching people defend their own team. Did the Democrats use this rule to advance a supreme court nominee? Is there any level of obstructionism that makes changing the rule acceptable? 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

This is no worse than what McConnell did 14 months ago or with all the obscene obstructionism that has been going on for years. It was poisoned a long time ago. 

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Weird.....it almost looks like something really wild happened around 2008 that caused a huge jump...

Yep, when we said the GOP were obstructing more than usual who would have thought they filibustered more than double the recent historical average. GOP has been reprehensible. Look at the degree of filibuster even for W versus Obama. The only reason the GOP went nuclear is they feared the Dems might play the game at their own level.

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

LOL...I enjoy watching people defend their own team. Did the Democrats use this rule to advance a supreme court nominee? Is there any level of obstructionism that makes changing the rule acceptable? 

This is no worse than what McConnell did 14 months ago or with all the obscene obstructionism that has been going on for years. It was poisoned a long time ago. 

The problem here is that when the Law was changed, by Reid, it opened the door for all parts of Government.   This is going to happen all over the place.  This is why many of us did not want that rule change in the first place.  I might be Conservative but I'm not stupid.  I know that either side will use power to their advantage, regardless of it's detriment to the people.  

1 hour ago, ABQCOWBOY said:

The problem here is that when the Law was changed, by Reid, it opened the door for all parts of Government.   This is going to happen all over the place.  This is why many of us did not want that rule change in the first place.  I might be Conservative but I'm not stupid.  I know that either side will use power to their advantage, regardless of it's detriment to the people.  

You should have called your reps and told them to stop filibustering everything.  The missiles were in the air, so to speak, long before the rule change.

3 hours ago, ABQCOWBOY said:

I love how no one ever takes responsibility nor does the right thing. Whatever Reid did, that did not make the GOP do what they did. It's a really poor excuse by GOP lawmakers especially after the garbage they pulled 14 months ago. 

6 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

So, let me see if I've got this right. 

The Republucans bear no blame whatsoever for the actions THEY just took, because they can point fingers at somebody else. 

If, in the future, the Dems do something similar to this, then the Dems are forbidden from pointing fingers at somebody else. 

Not that you're blatantly announcing a double standard, or anything. 

And you managed to insert the phrase "it works both ways" into your post announcing your double standard, too. Ah, irony. 

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

Weird.....it almost looks like something really wild happened around 2008 that caused a huge jump...

Just pointing out:  The huge increase in filibusters happened with the Senate of '07-'08. 

It wasn't the election of Obama that caused it. It was the GOP losing majority control. 

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

SOMEONE is going to eventually extend this to legislative items........" or the Democrats if/when they take back power as a giant "**** you" to the Republicans for going nuclear in the first place.

In the first place???? You do mean for doing this in the 2d place right?

16 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

You should have called your reps and told them to stop filibustering everything.  The missiles were in the air, so to speak, long before the rule change.

Oh I did.  Unfortunately, I was told that elections have consequences.

14 hours ago, Hersh said:

I love how no one ever takes responsibility nor does the right thing. Whatever Reid did, that did not make the GOP do what they did. It's a really poor excuse by GOP lawmakers especially after the garbage they pulled 14 months ago. 

That may be so but if the law is not changed, this never happens today.  Responsibility, it's not just for Conservatives anymore.......

58 minutes ago, ABQCOWBOY said:

That may be so but if the law is not changed, this never happens today.  Responsibility, it's not just for Conservatives anymore.......

You certainly don't show an ounce of responsibility when it comes to the GOP as you literally just blamed the other side completely for the issue. Thanks for demonstrating the problem.

Just now, Hersh said:

You certainly don't show an ounce of responsibility when it comes to the GOP as you literally just blamed the other side completely for the issue. Thanks for demonstrating the problem.

And you, I suppose, are the poster boy for that right?

Thanks for playing.

2 minutes ago, ABQCOWBOY said:

And you, I suppose, are the poster boy for that right?

Thanks for playing.

What?? You make no sense at all. Typical deflection when called out on showing a complete lack of responsibility. 

I would have preferred the Dems not filibuster but I understand why they did it. 

Just now, Hersh said:

What?? You make no sense at all. Typical deflection when called out on showing a complete lack of responsibility. 

Femme Fatal does not look good on you.  If you don't like what the Left has done, then do something to change it.  If you don't like what the Right has done, do something to change it. 

However, I suspect that all you get from this is, "Change the Right."

Just now, ABQCOWBOY said:

Femme Fatal does not look good on you.  If you don't like what the Left has done, then do something to change it.  If you don't like what the Right has done, do something to change it. 

However, I suspect that all you get from this is, "Change the Right."

You'd be wrong. I'm not the one here pointing fingers at the right without wanting the left to change. I just said that I would have preferred the Dems not filibuster. I don't want them to be the party of no that just obstructs like the right did for the last 8 years. 

Keep deflecting. Shows the continued weakness of your position on the issue. Par for the course as the GOP doesn't take responsibility for anything. 

1 hour ago, ABQCOWBOY said:

I love how every fan boy of the right takes this quote way out of context and uses it as a justification for what the R's are doing now. You do realize Obama said this to Cantor during in talks in which Cantor wasn't willing to negotiate in good faith or even compromise with him, it had nothing to do with bypassing congressional rules, which is what happened here.

Just now, Hersh said:

You'd be wrong. I'm not the one here pointing fingers at the right without wanting the left to change. I just said that I would have preferred the Dems not filibuster. I don't want them to be the party of no that just obstructs like the right did for the last 8 years. 

Keep deflecting. Shows the continued weakness of your position on the issue. Par for the course as the GOP doesn't take responsibility for anything. 

Pointing fingers?  How about just stating facts.  Fact, the Democrats started this with the lower courts.  The Democrats changed the rules to allow for simple majority to kill Filibuster.  If you really want to follow it back far enough, the Dems actually created Filibuster to begin with, not that it matters. 

I have already said that I hated the idea that Simple Majority kills the process but I suppose you will say that you didn't read that right?  As I pointed out, you read what you want to read. 

Just now, mrcunning15 said:

I love how every fan boy of the right takes this quote way out of context and uses it as a justification for what the R's are doing now. You do realize Obama said this to Cantor during in talks in which Cantor wasn't willing to negotiate in good faith or even compromise with him, it had nothing to do with bypassing congressional rules, which is what happened here.

Do you love that?  That's really good because Obama said it loud enough and you are going to hear it over and over again.  Own it.

Just now, ABQCOWBOY said:

Pointing fingers?  How about just stating facts.  Fact, the Democrats started this with the lower courts.  The Democrats changed the rules to allow for simple majority to kill Filibuster.  If you really want to follow it back far enough, the Dems actually created Filibuster to begin with, not that it matters. 

I have already said that I hated the idea that Simple Majority kills the process but I suppose you will say that you didn't read that right?  As I pointed out, you read what you want to read. 

You continue to ignore why Democrats did this which means you aren't really stating facts. Would you like to look further? Is there any amount of obstructionism that warrants doing away with the filibuster? 

I'm confused.  So you called GOP reps and told them to stop filibustering prior to Reid's 2013 rule changes, but those same Republicans told you they couldn't stop filibustering because elections had consequences (elections which resulted in them being the Senate minority)?

And even if that is the case, that still doesn't explain why the GOP's responsibility only ever begins AFTER the rule change for you.

I mean, you called your reps pre-2013 rule change and told them to stop filibustering, right?

So presumably you understood the abusive nature of what the GOP was doing and the serious consequences they would reap.  Right?

I mean, there's a clear and obvious cause and effect and presumably opposition to the GOP filibusters would have enabled you to see said cause of the rule change.

Archived