Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Baltimore Orioles Thread - We suck again!

MattFancy

1 hour ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Orioles just lost a challenge on a TB double. Only problem is the mark the ball made in foul territory. Woof.  

That was a terrible piece of umpiring. Walk down there, look at the mark and get it right. I swear baseball has the worst replay system in all of sports. Though I do think that ballparks need to have cameras right down each foul line. Easy enough to get done.

Now, what a comeback by the O's. Archer was looking nasty out there then suddenly the O's just started mashing. 

11 hours ago, Hersh said:

That was a terrible piece of umpiring. Walk down there, look at the mark and get it right. I swear baseball has the worst replay system in all of sports. Though I do think that ballparks need to have cameras right down each foul line. Easy enough to get done.

Now, what a comeback by the O's. Archer was looking nasty out there then suddenly the O's just started mashing. 

Maybe it's just semantics, but I don't think we can blame the umpires. We can blame the process, but not the individuals. The replay angle we saw didn't DEFINITIVELY prove that the ball didn't nick the chalk. Therefore, by rule, they can't overturn it. I wish they were given more leeway to make judgement calls through replay (essentially given the freedom to use the extra angles to do their job like they have to in real time), but they aren't. 

Sadly, given how the replay process in MLB works, the umps did the right thing there. 

9 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Trumbo hasn't done anything in weeks.  I'm not sure he deserves regular starts in lieu of Mancini, Kim, Smith and Gentry. 

Totally agree. We all like Buck, but it's criminal the way he treats Kim.

What other team would have a 300 hitter ride the bench as much as Kim does here?

40 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Maybe it's just semantics, but I don't think we can blame the umpires. We can blame the process, but not the individuals. The replay angle we saw didn't DEFINITIVELY prove that the ball didn't nick the chalk. Therefore, by rule, they can't overturn it. I wish they were given more leeway to make judgement calls through replay (essentially given the freedom to use the extra angles to do their job like they have to in real time), but they aren't. 

Sadly, given how the replay process in MLB works, the umps did the right thing there. 

The process is terrible and so is the fact that replay is confined to only certain plays. For example when Schoop fouled a ball off his foot and went fair, the umps didn't rule it a fouls ball and Schoop, who didn't run, was out at first. No reason that shouldn't be reviewed. 

As for last night, if an ump isn't permitted to walk down there and look at a ball mark, that's problematic. 

39 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Totally agree. We all like Buck, but it's criminal the way he treats Kim.

What other team would have a 300 hitter ride the bench as much as Kim does here?

It's especially baffling when they keep giving Gentry all these chances. That guy would be great exclusively as a pinch runner and I think that's ultimately what will

happen. I would say he's better defensively and obviously he has more range but he can't seem to throw. Already 2 errors in limited playing time.

Anytime there is a righty on the mound, Kim needs to play. 

11 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Trumbo hasn't done anything in weeks.  I'm not sure he deserves regular starts in lieu of Mancini, Kim, Smith and Gentry. 

If this were July or August, then maybe.  But his contract and production potential probably dictates giving him the chance to let him work it out.  We're not even out of April yet, and so far, he's not killing us.

39 minutes ago, Hersh said:

It's especially baffling when they keep giving Gentry all these chances. That guy would be great exclusively as a pinch runner and I think that's ultimately what will

happen. I would say he's better defensively and obviously he has more range but he can't seem to throw. Already 2 errors in limited playing time.

Anytime there is a righty on the mound, Kim needs to play. 

Agreed.  This is one of those questionable Buck things he sometimes does.  

Gentry has more plate appearances than Kim so far.  Who woulda thought.

14 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

So Smith gets a GWRBI for that walk? 

Rickard coming back tomorrow so it's decision time. 

The already optioned Paul Fry back to the minors last night. I don't think Gentry gets many more At-bats going forward. 

Ugly wins are wins.  Tampa is always one of those teams that are sticky to the Orioles, good or bad.

I think it'll be that way til Longoria's gone. He's a thorn.

Took the series, take a quick break and get back to work. Big series with the Yankees, and a chance to put some early distance in the standings.

One thing about so many divisional games stacked in April is they can get out to a fast lead,, and it can take a long time for anyone to overcome it.

I'd like to see Trumbo get some pop back, but considering the concern was going to be starting pitching, i can deal with a little offensive slumping,, I know the bats will come around. 

~Bang

Archived