Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

1 minute ago, zoony said:

If Kurt leaves that will be him, Candle, and Scott Brunell that yhe franchise has mishandled

Plus the Griffin fiasco (all the way around, don't need to get into cost, fault, or what-ifs). Plus trading for a 10-year division rival veteran QB and then putting him in a new system. I think that's enough for now, going to throw up.

46 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I don't know who I'm angry at most right now, but I know I'm angry and frustrated. And I'm close to the point of just not caring at all anymore. It's so silly. 

Brother, you can't just say stuff like this.  It's heartbreaking.  I can't bear the thought of you turning cynical.  I remember when they broke Cooleyfan.  He said "damn it" in the GDT.  It was tough to watch. :ols:

Seriously though, I'm gonna sit back and see how this plays out.  Kirk's agent could be floating these rumors.  I know TK mentioned they were discussing 23 per year, so they can't be that far apart.  If we do trade him, I will be shocked if the number 2 pick isn't a part of the deal.  That seems like a bridge too far for me.  

It's just so much going on that it's tiring to try to get a read on what to believe.  I do know that if all this falls apart, I will be taking a long look in Bruce's direction.  

Until then, it's March Madness.  Enjoy some hoops.  Lots of great games going.  Have a beer.  Relax.:cheers:

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

Plus the Griffin fiasco (all the way around, don't need to get into cost, fault, or what-ifs). Plus trading for a 10-year division rival veteran QB and then putting him in a new system. I think that's enough for now, going to throw up.

Its the gift that keeps on giving

Relax.  It's been worse, even in winning years.  

The worst thing that can happen now is Cousins leaves after next year (unless Cousins is just a total dog).  And, we get a 3rd round compensatory pick.  We already are winners.

Just now, zoony said:

Its the gift that keeps on giving

My favorite part of the "if we overpay an above-average QB it will hinder our ability to build the rest of the roster!!" is the assumption that we're all of a sudden going to have hoards of young draft picks worth paying after their cheap rookie contracts are up. As if we've ever been in that situation in the salary cap era. 

We should be on our knees thanking the football gods for an above-average QB even if he's never any better than that. 

2 minutes ago, KokoMike said:

Relax.  It's been worse, even in winning years.  

The worst thing that can happen now is Cousins leaves after next year (unless Cousins is just a total dog).  And, we get a 3rd round compensatory pick.  We already are winners.

How is a 2019 3rd round compensatory pick a "win"?

Impressed you managed to not mention your 30-year season ticket holder status in this post. I almost forgot to take your opinion more seriously because of it.

44 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Brother, you can't just say stuff like this.  It's heartbreaking.  I can't bear the thought of you turning cynical.  I remember when they broke Cooleyfan.  He said "damn it" in the GDT.  It was tough to watch. :ols:

lol,I don't really turn "cynical"... I just stop caring as much, really. Hurts for a little bit but then I let go, I don't got time for being depressed about something so insignificant in the grand scheme of life. 

But, if you remember, I was just as annoyed and "cynical" after the epic collapse of 2013 and throughout Gruden's first year. Really, I just couldn't stand seeing another coach, a decent guy by all accounts who'd had success everywhere he's been previous to the Skins, going down in flames with all the **** that was thrown at him by everyone. I understood that no one could succeed in this FO set up as is, so that's why I spearheaded that "fan card" thing again with SIP... just wanted to do something other than complain on a message board. All I wanted was a normal organizational structure with a legit GM heading the personnel department.

And that's what we were sold when they hired Scot. Two years of some semblance of success and stability later, with a franchise QB, a solid HC and GM... and now it might all get blown up. That's what hurts right now. We finally did some good. We finally had legitimate hope, and the team even deserved some benefit of the doubt for it. And if it ends up all for naught? That's tough, brother.  :/ 

Listen, though, in the end I'm with you. I hope all of this anger and frustration, in the end, gets turned on the media for all the tugging, pulling, and swaying they've done this entire offseason. I hope that's all most of this ends up being. But right now I don't know where to direct it, honestly. I'm sick of it all. 

I know every single one of us has probably vowed to quit this team in the past, yet here we are.  

With that said, if this team indeed trades Cousins and fires Scott this offseason, I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to rekindle my spirit for this franchise I've dumped entirely too much money and emotion into over the past 35 years.

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Impressed you managed to not mention your 30-year season ticket holder status in this post. I almost forgot to take your opinion more seriously because of it.

Thank you.  I always respect your comments.

1 minute ago, thesubmittedone said:

lol,I don't really turn "cynical"... I just stop caring as much, really. Hurts for a little bit but then I let go, I don't got time for being depressed about something so insignificant in the grand scheme of life. 

But, if you remember, I was just as annoyed and "cynical" after the epic collapse of 2013 and throughout Gruden's first year. Really, I just couldn't stand seeing another coach, a decent guy by all accounts who'd had success everywhere he's been previous to the Skins, going down in flames with all the **** that was thrown at him by everyone. I understood that no one could succeed in this FO set up as is, so that's why I spearheaded that "fan card" thing again... just wanted to do something other than complain on a message board. All I wanted was a normal organizational structure with a legit GM heading the personnel department.

And that's what we were sold when they hired Scot. Two years of some semblance of success and stability later, with a franchise QB, a solid HC and GM... and now it might all get blown up. That's what hurts right now. We finally did some good. We finally had legitimate hope, and the team even deserved some benefit of the doubt for it. And if it ends up all for naught? That's tough, brother.  :/ 

And we can thank who for all this.........my guess Dan Snyder.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The entire statement and more importantly the thought process behind it.

OK, can you elaborate on that?

If Kirk doesn't want to sign a long-term deal here, we can't force him to. But we can formulate a plan that does not include him. And he's not some holy grail either, it's not like if he leaves we're doomed to a 4-12 season. We can, ya know, keep improving thru FA and the draft and stay competitive. So please tell me where in that process I earned the greatest insult a Redskins fan can receive other than being called a Cowboys fan!

5 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Come on y'all the franchise is not going to fall apart because of Kirk Cousins.

Draft Jonathan Allen, sign Dontari Poe and Terrell Pryor, draft a young QB to compete with McCoy and let's go!! HTTR!

It took us 20 years to find a QB as good as Cousins. 

Ironically, the worse you think Cousins is, the more pathetic we become and the more dangerous it is to gamble on finding another one. 

We should be beyond thankful that we accidentally stumbled upon a starting QB in the 4th round and that he developed into a pretty good (at worst) QB despite our attempts to be so, so bad all the time and our inability to develop a single other QB prospect since I've been alive. 

Maybe even if he's not a superstar, Kirk is still a pretty rare commodity and valuable to us, especially as a home-grown player. 

Nah, I'm sure we'll be fine.

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

It took us 20 years to find a QB as good as Cousins. 

Ironically, the worse you think Cousins is, the more pathetic we become and the more dangerous it is to gamble on finding another one. 

We should be beyond thankful that we accidentally stumbled upon a starting QB in the 4th round and that he developed into a pretty good (at worst) QB despite our attempts to be so, so bad all the time and our inability to develop a single other QB prospect since I've been alive. 

Maybe even if he's not a superstar, Kirk is still a pretty rare commodity and valuable to us, especially as a home-grown player. 

Nah, I'm sure we'll be fine.

Actually, the worse I think Cousins is the smaller the delta is between him and McCoy, never mind him and a young guy we draft to compete.

Just because you've been hooking up with 6's for years doesn't mean you have cry over dumping a 7! That's a loser mindset! I'd like to keep Kirk, but if he walks it ain't like we're letting go of Brady or Rodgers.

Just now, CapsSkins said:

OK, can you elaborate on that?

If the Redskins trade Kirk and fire Scott as these situations appear to be headed, there is no hope for the franchise.  Two of the most important pieces of an NFL franchise, GM and QB, we lose in one offseason.  Honorable mentions go to the loss of OC and 2 1k yard receivers as well.  

No free agent signings or draft picks made by the guy in charge of this **** show are capable of bringing me any semblance of hope.

Just now, CapsSkins said:

Actually, the worse I think Cousins is the smaller the delta is between him and McCoy, never mind him and a young guy we draft to compete.

Just because you've been hooking up with 6's for years doesn't mean you have cry over dumping a 7! That's a loser mindset! I'd like to keep Kirk, but if he walks it ain't like we're letting go of Brady or Rodgers.

Your analogy only makes sense if there were only a few 10's in the entire world, less than a half dozen 8's and 9's, and a handful of 7's. 

And if you change your analogy to the point where it makes sense, as I did above, it becomes apparent that you're wrong and in that scenario, if you only care about where they place on the scale, you absolutely should be crying over the loss of "only" a 7. Because in a market like the NFL's QB market, its tough to do much better and its very, very easy to be stuck with worse.

4 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

So, if you are rolling out Colt as the starter then you are really saying he's a placeholder for a younger QB.  Which means we have hit the reset button to rebuild again. 

I am going on a limb and say we are not going to hit the reset button. Been there done that. Gruden has been extended therefor Kirk will be signed to LTD. :)

1 hour ago, ILikeBilly said:

Look at all the great QBs in the NFL.  Look at the ones that are winning championships.  Outside of Brees they don't switch teams.

They don't switch teams because their teams lock them up before they hit free agency.  However, on the rare occasions when they do switch, they do just fine on the new team (barring injury or age). Examples: Manning on Broncos before the final year. Favre his first year with the Vikings (no championship but he had a great year).

You are absolutely delusional to think that if Kirk goes to the 49ers, and Kyle gets him some weapons and a half-decent O-line, he won't succeed.  There might be a down year or two during the rebuild, but once things are in shape he will move the ball just as well for Kyle as he did here.

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Your analogy only makes sense if there were only a few 10's in the entire world, less than a half dozen 8's and 9's, and a handful of 7's. 

And if you change your analogy to the point where it makes sense, as I did above, it becomes apparent that you're wrong and in that scenario, if you only care about where they place on the scale, you absolutely should be crying over the loss of "only" a 7. Because in a market like the NFL's QB market, its tough to do much better and its very, very easy to be stuck with worse.

Actually the limit of this metaphor is that football teams aren't just QB, they're 53 guys. Alex Smith got farther this year than Kirk Cousins, right?

Here's a thought. Just throwing it out there since it looks like everything is going to **** anyway. 

Let's say Kirk wants to play hardball and wants out, and we know he's gone after the season. San Fran didn't want to trade for him, opting to wait a year. We'd be on the hook for 24 million.. 

We go into the season with a lame duck QB, and not much else. Think Snyder and gruden would be petty enough to bench him for the season, or throw him to the wolves with retarded play calling?

Archived