Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ExtremeSkins Needs A Mindset Reset

Diehard Otis

The time has come for us as a community to change our ways.

More specifically, I'm talking about how many of the members here view & regard our Washington Redskins.  For starters, I want to be clear here: I don't have a problem with this forum.  Nor do I take issue with the staff or any of the members.  I love logging on here and discussing Redskins Football.  It seems to be a pretty safe bet that we all do.

No.  The forum isn't the issue.  But what IS at issue is a mentality that has taken root here.  That's the problem.

Let's get right to it.  The overall outlook on this forum regarding Washington Redskins Football is negative.  And it's time for that to end.  

Here's what I mean.

Our team is the Reigning NFC East Champion.  They are in the midst of a Playoff Hunt and have successfully reestablished themselves as a Player in The National Football League.  Don't believe me?  Turn on ESPN (I'll wait).  Notice a difference?  No longer are they laughing.  Go to MMQB(Monday Morning Quarterback), or Sports Illustrated's site, or Bleacher Report; doesn't matter.  Wherever site you go to (or channel you watch), shows genuine respect for our Team.  

But not here.  Nope.  There's too much complaining, far too many nitpickers, and a pervading sense of ungratefulness about The Team.

I know.  20 years & all.  Sure.  But I remind you that those days are gone, and what we have now is an exciting, plucky, edge-of-your-seat group that has shown a remarkable penchant for Winning dogfights.  And by virtually all accounts, the future looks even brighter!

So here's the Million Dollar Question: why aren't you happy?  Why aren't you that insufferable Redskins fan at work?  Or school?

You wanna know why?  It's because you are so accustomed to losing football, that you judge your team by losing football standards.  And that needs to stop NOW.

You have a Winner.  No, they're not perfect.  We all know what (and where) the warts are.  So what!?  These Redskins Win.  They don't get rattled by adversity, they make plays in the clutch, & they Win.  

But you aren't used to that.  Admit it.  You're used to those handful of woulda-shoulda-coulda moments.  The real tragedy is while you pick over the flaws, you're missing the dawn of a new day.

------------------------------------------

It's time to reorient your thinking about this Franchise.  These days, we should look at our next Opponent & expect to Win!  We should view the games on Sunday with a mindset of "we can still Win" vs "we're gonna lose; I just know it".  You can find fault all you want, but this 'mediocre team' with its 'crappy defense' has a Winning Record.  For the 2nd year in a row! 

Now....here's our opportunity.  Going forward, we can cheer and scream and yell for our Redskins expecting them to Win.  I assure you, Sundays are much more fun that way.  All in all, the time has come for us to enjoy Winning Football.  

Let's discuss.

18 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Win a playoff game or even make it consecutive years and don't embarrass us there and our tune will change.

So if the team improves on their record from last year and goes 10-5-1 but misses out on the playoffs your tune won't change?

Makes the OP's point for them. 

5 minutes ago, squatch66 said:

So if the team improves on their record from last year and goes 10-5-1 but misses out on the playoffs your tune won't change?

Makes the OP's point for them. 

We can set different bars if you'd like and we can argue them out u til the cows come home.  I'll just go for consistently good.  The way we played Philly?  The week before also?  Give me a team where I don't have to worry about Jekyll or Hyde and we are on the winning side of it AND it's last for a bit, I'll change my tune.  Before that the OP is just overly optimistic.

Guys, I understand that it is YOUR RIGHT to cheer this Team as you see fit.  I wouldn't dare argue with you about your rights (a favorite expression of mine is "a man has to make his own decisions in life").  My intent is to point out that many of the faithful may be missing the forest for the trees here.

It seems to me that (overall) The Team is really on a roll.  And in every thread I've seen a poster try to highlight a Team accomplishment, the response is always "when I see [x metric] within [y timeframe] then I'll believe."  

Well...why not just believe?  To be sure, the vast majority of The League would LOVE to be in Washington's position right now!  But many of our own fans don't even seem pleased with the Season's results even when we Win!  I just don't understand it.  At all.

And yes, I am that uber-homer, kool-aid drinkin', crack smoking Skins Fan.  And proud of it! :229:

Otis you do realize that this is EXTREME SKINS? This site was built for people who are more than just the normal Skins fans. We may have some extreme opinions and some here even have great insight and knowledge about X's and the O's. But keep in mind that we can get extremely upset during a win or a lose. But, when we win the SB again though, we will be EXTREMELY happy! But until then.... :D 

4 minutes ago, zskins said:

Otis you do realize that this is EXTREME SKINS? This site was built for people who are more than just the normal Skins fans. We may have some extreme opinions and some here even have great insight and knowledge about X's and the O's. But keep in mind that we can get extremely upset during a win or a lose. But, when we win the SB again though, we will be EXTREMELY happy! But until then.... :D 

Haha, thank you @zskins!  I promise you that my aim here isn't to personally insult ANYONE.  I sincerely hope that no one took it that way.

But maaaan, given the roll we've been on, I thought Redskins fans would be at least ---happy.  To my shock & disappointment, that is not the case.  

WoW. :o

Not going anywhere with this defense.

I'm enjoying the growth of the team and the potential while also refusing to become emotionally invested in a season that can't go anywhere because we lack even the basic idea of a defense. It's like we were unaware this was part of the game when we prepared for the season.

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

Not going anywhere with this defense.

I'm enjoying the growth of the team and the potential while also refusing to become emotionally invested in a season that can't go anywhere because we lack even the basic idea of a defense. It's like we were unaware this was part of the game when we prepared for the season.

Not going anywhere???

Surely you jest.  We actually have a very good chance to go to The Playoffs.  Most teams would consider just making it a good year.

You don't?
--------------------------

@TryTheBeal! You know what?  I'll take that.  

Thank you man.

14 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

We can set different bars if you'd like and we can argue them out u til the cows come home.  I'll just go for consistently good.  The way we played Philly?  The week before also?  Give me a team where I don't have to worry about Jekyll or Hyde and we are on the winning side of it AND it's last for a bit, I'll change my tune.  Before that the OP is just overly optimistic.

I think that your bar statement is a little short sighted. This year we stand to improve on last year's record, with a first place schedule mind you, but because both our division and conference as a whole is better we might not get in. Are you saying that year over year improvement with a more difficult schedule isn't worthy of our praise? If not there's a dumpster fire in Cleveland that would keep a lot of people warm. 

This is still a pretty young team with a lot of roster holes to fill. I call "Jekyll and Hyde" growing pains. We've had two drafts under McC. I don't understand how people can complain about where we are now vs where we were for the last 20 years.

You know what? **** it. Let's can McC and Gruden and hire back Vinny and Zorn. They started 6-2 one year so that should make the boo birds happy. I know Jeff George and Deion approve.

I'm with you Otis. Hail to the Redskins!

Fans being negative is what it is. I like being on the optimistic side so when things go well I can be like "yay I knew it would happen" vs "I never believed in these guys, I'm such a negative Nancy". Even on the flip side how much fun is it being right about the Redskins losing? Especially when you have no real weight on the outcome of the results. I feel like it makes some people feel smart to say "I told you we weren't ready" or maybe it is because they aren't bold enough to say "I was wrong about my team, better luck next week, or next season". I'm a true homer and I have never predicted us to lose a game or bet against my team in any way. Losing hurts more this way as a fan but winning is soooo much more fun. 

7 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

I'm with you Otis. Hail to the Redskins!

Fans being negative is what it is. I like being on the optimistic side so when things go well I can be like "yay I knew it would happen" vs "I never believed in these guys, I'm such a negative Nancy". Even on the flip side how much fun is it being right about the Redskins losing? Especially when you have no real weight on the outcome of the results. I feel like it makes some people feel smart to say "I told you we weren't ready" or maybe it is because they aren't bold enough to say "I was wrong about my team, better luck next week, or next season". I'm a true homer and I have never predicted us to lose a game or bet against my team in any way. Losing hurts more this way as a fan but winning is soooo much more fun. 

I stand with you Mr.Rattlesnake.

See?  Even Josh Norman is drinking the kool-aid!   Hail Victory!!

20 minutes ago, squatch66 said:

I think that your bar statement is a little short sighted. This year we stand to improve on last year's record, with a first place schedule mind you, but because both our division and conference as a whole is better we might not get in. Are you saying that year over year improvement with a more difficult schedule isn't worthy of our praise? If not there's a dumpster fire in Cleveland that would keep a lot of people warm. 

This is still a pretty young team with a lot of roster holes to fill. I call "Jekyll and Hyde" growing pains. We've had two drafts under McC. I don't understand how people can complain about where we are now vs where we were for the last 20 years.

You know what? **** it. Let's can McC and Gruden and hire back Vinny and Zorn. They started 6-2 one year so that should make the boo birds happy. I know Jeff George and Deion approve.

1) is our defense better than last year?  I say no.  So I see a lack of improvement there and it bothers me.  I put it mostly on the DC.  2)  Did I say anything about firing the GM and HC?  Nope.  I'd like to see the DC gone before I get too optimistic.  But you took what I said and went way high and right with it and put words in my mouth.  You'd do great in the politics thread.

2 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

The time has come for us as a community to change our ways.

More specifically, I'm talking about how many of the members here view & regard our Washington Redskins.  For starters, I want to be clear here: I don't have a problem with this forum.  Nor do I take issue with the staff or any of the members.  I love logging on here and discussing Redskins Football.  It seems to be a pretty safe bet that we all do.

No.  The forum isn't the issue.  But what IS at issue is a mentality that has taken root here.  That's the problem.

Let's get right to it.  The overall outlook on this forum regarding Washington Redskins Football is negative.  And it's time for that to end. 

There's too much complaining, far too many nitpickers, and a pervading sense of ungratefulness about The Team.

You wanna know why?  It's because you are so accustomed to losing football, that you judge your team by losing football standards.  And that needs to stop NOW.

You have a Winner.  No, they're not perfect.  We all know what (and where) the warts are.  So what!?  These Redskins Win.  They don't get rattled by adversity, they make plays in the clutch, & they Win.  

But you aren't used to that.  Admit it.  You're used to those handful of woulda-shoulda-coulda moments.  The real tragedy is while you pick over the flaws, you're missing the dawn of a new day.

------------------------------------------

It's time to reorient your thinking about this Franchise.  These days, we should look at our next Opponent & expect to Win!  We should view the games on Sunday with a mindset of "we can still Win" vs "we're gonna lose; I just know it".  You can find fault all you want, but this 'mediocre team' with its 'crappy defense' has a Winning Record.  For the 2nd year in a row! 

Now....here's our opportunity.  Going forward, we can cheer and scream and yell for our Redskins expecting them to Win.  I assure you, Sundays are much more fun that way.  All in all, the time has come for us to enjoy Winning Football.  

Let's discuss.

Edited for length

Ok, first you start off with some of us are WRONG about how we look at this team. And we need to CHANGE how we view this team. By your standards. And then you say this.....

53 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

Guys, I understand that it is YOUR RIGHT to cheer this Team as you see fit.  I wouldn't dare argue with you about your rights (a favorite expression of mine is "a man has to make his own decisions in life").  My intent is to point out that many of the faithful may be missing the forest for the trees here.

It seems to me that (overall) The Team is really on a roll.  And in every thread I've seen a poster try to highlight a Team accomplishment, the response is always "when I see [x metric] within [y timeframe] then I'll believe."  

Well...why not just believe?  To be sure, the vast majority of The League would LOVE to be in Washington's position right now!  But many of our own fans don't even seem pleased with the Season's results even when we Win!  I just don't understand it.  At all.

And yes, I am that uber-homer, kool-aid drinkin', crack smoking Skins Fan.  And proud of it! :229:

The first part goes completely against what you have just said. And we're 2-2 in the last 4 games. Not really a roll. And we're the wrong kind of fan, because we're no Homer McFanboy. Because we point at huge deficiencies that will handcuff this team. And we think they could be fixed, now. Because being critical of areas of underperformance is apparently something we can't do now, because we're a winning football team. Sometimes "just getting a win" isn't great. Especially if you're supposed to be a "winning" football team. The irony is palpable.

44 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

Haha, thank you @zskins!  I promise you that my aim here isn't to personally insult ANYONE.  I sincerely hope that no one took it that way.

But maaaan, given the roll we've been on,

Right, that .500 roll we've been on, including getting killed by a team that was 4-7. When we really needed to step up. Now, we have zero room for error, and still don't have control if we get in or not.

Even worse, the emphasis of this thread is in 3, if not more threads right now. Yeah, I suppose I'm contributing to it right now, but I'm also going to point out how unnecessary it is. But I felt it needed to be said. This is really redundant.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Did we really need a thread on this? There is a positivity thread going already. And as a rebuttal, we have a fire Joe Barry thread as well.

There is?

Gee, last I checked [ and started ] it was a general multiple choice question regarding Barry. Nowhere in the title does it say anything about firing him. C'mon.

But to reply to this thread, I get where Otis is coming from. Finally, after what seemed decades, we have what looks like a legitimate NFL QB who can play with the best of em, and a receiving group who should be considered the most potent and diverse group in the league.

But with the good comes the bad. Every coach has an ego and is hard-headed to a degree; some more than others. This team has suffered through more than one 'family' coach; a coach who hires family members [ see the Shanahans, the Schottenheimers, etc ] and now the Grudens. What brings families together also tears them apart, and its called tough love.

Right now all of us 'fans' see something our HC doesn't see, and that is a DC who isn't getting the job done. If he does see it, then he should address the issue at the end of the season, if he loves this team more than his family [ see tough love ]. This team is on the cusp of being an uber-dominant team, maybe more polished than the Pat's streak, the Cowboys of the early 90's, the 49ers, the Steelers, and son and so on.

Once the other aspect of this team comes around, we will all feel much much better. We're happy with wins but the realistic part is if we make the playoffs its more than likely another one-n-done, and the possibility of the HC making 'tough' changes doesn't seem likely, but it remains to be seen.  Its not an easy thing to wake in the mornings and worrying if this will be as good as it gets, and when you couple the strides one side has made, it makes people wanting better, more, but maybe not truly trusting management will do what is best for the team in the long run.

But i'll still cheer my ass off hoping things get better.

Welcome to the internet.  Somewhere on Twitter, a Pats fan is wanting their D coordinator fired right now because they gave up a 2 yard score off a special teams gaffe.  Point being, this is what fans do.  Whether we are 13-0 or 7-5-1, there will always be talk about how we could have done it better or what could have been.  It is possible to recognize the positive long term direction the franchise is headed in and still have gripes.  The mood of the fan base does not impact the scoreboard.  Everything's gonna be alright...

Archived