Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: John Glenn, former astronaut, senator dies at 95

visionary

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/08/health/john-glenn-dead/index.html

John Glenn, former astronaut, senator dies at 95

John Glenn, a former US senator and the first American to orbit the Earth, died Thursday, according to Ohio State University. He was 95.

It was announced Wednesday that Glenn had been hospitalized "more than a week ago," according to Ohio State University spokesman Hank Wilson. He was at the James Cancer Hospital at Ohio State University, but his illness was not disclosed.

Glenn had heart valve replacement surgery in 2014.

President Barack Obama released a statement paying tribute to Glenn.

"When John Glenn blasted off from Cape Canaveral atop an Atlas rocket in 1962, he lifted the hopes of a nation. And when his Friendship 7 spacecraft splashed down a few hours later, the first American to orbit the Earth reminded us that with courage and a spirit of discovery there's no limit to the heights we can reach together.

"With John's passing, our nation has lost an icon and Michelle and I have lost a friend. John spent his life breaking barriers, from defending our freedom as a decorated Marine Corps fighter pilot in World War II and Korea, to setting a transcontinental speed record, to becoming, at age 77, the oldest human to touch the stars. John always had the right stuff, inspiring generations of scientists, engineers and astronauts who will take us to Mars and beyond--not just to visit, but to stay.

"Today, the people of Ohio remember a devoted public servant who represented his fellow Buckeyes in the U.S. Senate for a quarter century and who fought to keep America a leader in science and technology. Our thoughts are with his beloved wife Annie, their children John and Carolyn and the entire Glenn family. The last of America's first astronauts has left us, but propelled by their example we know that our future here on Earth compels us to keep reaching for the heavens. On behalf of a grateful nation, Godspeed, John Glenn."

I missed this my first scroll through.  I was about to start a thread and yell at everyone for not addressing it already.  My bad.  Thanks visionary.

I've never met him and am far too young to have experienced his deeds first hand.  But I can imagine the inspiration he was to children of the time.  I was we had someone like that today.

2 minutes ago, GhostofSparta said:

Wanted so badly to be an astronaut when I was a kid. This guy was obviously one of my heroes because of that. Very sad day.:(

Wow.  you dreamt bigger than I did.  I wanted to be a garbage man.  Ours were so friendly and riding on the back of the truck looked fun.

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Wow.  you dreamt bigger than I did.  I wanted to be a garbage man.  Ours were so friendly and riding on the back of the truck looked fun.

Not to derail the thread, but I had it planned out when I was like, 16. Study Math/Engineering in college, join the Marines, become a pilot, become an astronaut. Turns out that because I had cancer as a kid I was ineligible for every branch of the military. Pretty much derailed that dream because I knew that astronauts have a high threshold for physical fitness, so I gave up.That was a sucky day.

Trying to stay away from politics.  But damn, it depresses me that we pretty much haven't had a space program for most of my life.  

One of my favorite sci fi authors, Jerry Pournelle, has been quoted saying "I always knew I'd see the first man on the Moon.  I never thought I'd see the last."  

RIP to a genuinely great American, humble, steady, unswerving in his loyalty and principles, his achievements extend far beyond his career as an astronaut. A great loss for us all, he will be remembered fondly by history. May his family benefit in this hard time from the outpouring of sincere love for this man.

I'm with you, Larry. My father worked for NASA most of his life, and I also grew up idolizing these astronauts. I wholly agree that it's a shame our national priorities have shifted. RIP to Mr. Glenn, who truly embodied a life of service.

Archived