Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Vikes at Redskins

TK

6 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

He did change!!  Did you even watch the game? They played a little loose until they got to our 30. Then they tightened up. That last D call was awesome! He still needs a few more players which I see us getting next year.

You can continue like others to try and validate your preconceived ideas while the rest will enjoy the victories!

Your extremely condescending when you debate with others, as if your opinion is the law.  You need to lighten up Francis.

27dd39065116dd636291836c3b557377bd42c8e3

2 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Based on his history when hired, how he manages the games so far here in DC, I am on record saying the Redskins will never be an elite consistent team unless he changes his pattern of ending games. Good teams execute, you must dictate to them, not let them get an opportunity to win games, which they will do,. 

I get what you're saying, but I think you're being overly harsh. Because the pattern thus far, since his hire, has been more end of games being closed out defensively than not.  

Last year we were very good to great in situational defense. Only the Falcons game was bad at the end, pretty much. First Cowboys game as well, I guess. Outside of that, the defense gave the Offense a chance against the Dolphins, Rams, Eagles, Bucs, Saints, second Giants game, Bears, Eagles again, and the final game against the Cowboys.

This year so far?

Giants, Browns, Ravens, Eagles, Bengals, and now the Vikings. That's 6 out of our 9 games.    

Just now, SWFLSkins said:

Hard to argue that Otis. I think when you play good teams you'll see his coaching style cost them. 

And you may be proven right in the end SWFL.

But (in my view) the hallmark of coaching is showing the ability to be competitive with ANY personnel.  And in this vein, the guy has not only kept us competitve, his unit is a major reason why Washington is Winning this year.  

Look at how many points The Defense allows in the 2nd Half of ballgames on average.  It incredible(!) actually, given our talent level - & obvious holes in our lineup.  And Defense Won the ballgame today, against a desperate team.

With that said, it's time to give the man his due:  Joe Barry's a good Coach.

Just now, jschuck12001 said:

Your extremely condescending when you debate with others, as if your opinion is the law.  You need to lighten up Francis.

I am just responding in kind. Others do it to me all the time. But I will admit right now the adrenaline is flowing. So it's probably coming out a little more harsh than I mean. But then again I was just accused of lacking intelligence.

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

It's one thing to say you disagree, but to say someone is lacking intelligence because they don't see it your way is arrogant as hell. Don't like my response, don't talk down to me.  We will get along fine.

If someone were to read our back and forth the last few posts here, I don't think they would see me as the arrogant one. Is the word "myopic" a trigger word for you, or something? It doesn't mean I think you're an idiot, or whatever you thought. It means I think you're looking at the issue too simplistically, too narrowly, placing the importance of the outcome over what happened throughout the game---process vs. outcome, I always choose good process/bad outcome over bad process/good outcome, because it wins out over time. 

3 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I get what you're saying, but I think you're being overly harsh. Because the pattern thus far, since his hire, has been more end of games being closed out defensively than not.  

Last year we were very good to great in situational defense. Only the Falcons game was bad at the end, pretty much. First Cowboys game as well, I guess. Outside of that, the defense gave the Offense a chance against the Dolphins, Rams, Eagles, Bucs, Saints, second Giants game, Bears, Eagles again, and the final game against the Cowboys.

This year so far?

Giants, Browns, Ravens, Eagles, Bengals, and now the Vikings. That's 6 out of our 9 games.    

2 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

And you may be proven right in the end SWFL.

But (in my view) the hallmark of coaching is showing the ability to be competitive with ANY personnel.  And in this vein, the guy has not only kept us competitve, his unit is a major reason why Washington is Winning this year.  

Look at how many points The Defense allows in the 2nd Half of ballgames on average.  It incredible(!) actually, given our talent level - & obvious holes in our lineup.  And Defense Won the ballgame today, against a desperate team.

With that said, it's time to give the man his due:  Joe Barry's a good Coach.

I would love nothing more than to be wrong about Joe Barry or to say he changed and developed. Still not sold at this point. But tired of seeing the teams performance being put solely on the players and talent level. Great Coaches get the most out of the players they have, yes our team is shorted on talent. 

4 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

This year so far?

And truthfully you have to give the defense some credit for holding onto the tie for 15 minutes in London with Hopkins and the offense unable to score. 

13 minutes ago, kgor93 said:

It wasn't so much that Fuller was out of position as much that he just isn't fast enough to cover Diggs 1 on 1. He was getting beat on the slant, which is a man beater and exposes slower players. 

I know... but there are ways to overcome that technique-wise. Have to let him work his way through it, to a degree. Like I said, I understand the frustration with just how bad it was for a while there, and Barry should've put Breeland inside more often especially after that second TD drive, but we do have to acknowledge it's not as simple as just taking him out of the game if developing him is prioritized.   

12 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Except for the two games previous to this where we let off the gas, let teams come back, and they won in the end because we didn't stop them at the end?

Well, the missed Field Goal led to a tie.  We outplayed Cincy in Overtime overseas.  And Detroit beat us, yes.  But that has proven to be a blessing in disguise, because Barry hasn't played that conservative since (obviously, he still does; just not to that extent).

I understand people's beef with him, but in my opinion, he's done an amazing job this year with the talent on hand.

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

If someone were to read our back and forth the last few posts here, I don't think they would see me as the arrogant one. Is the word "myopic" a trigger word for you, or something? It doesn't mean I think you're an idiot, or whatever you thought. It means I think you're looking at the issue too simplistically, too narrowly, placing the importance of the outcome over what happened throughout the game---process vs. outcome, I always choose good process/bad outcome over bad process/good outcome, because it wins out over time. 

It does come off as you are calling me stupid. Maybe that's not what you meant. So maybe use more precise words. I still don't agree. But Ok, admittedly my adrenaline is flowing. This is why I typically do not post much on game day. So fair enough. I will leave it alone.

2 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

Well, the missed Field Goal led to a tie.  We outplayed Cincy in Overtime overseas.  And Detroit beat us, yes.  But that has proven to be a blessing in disguise, because Barry hasn't played that conservative since (obviously, he still does; just not to that extent).

I understand people's beef with him, but in my opinion, he's done an amazing job this year with the talent on hand.

Hmm, not sure. Breeland regressed, Kerrigan? Picked Bruton and stuck with him over Duke even when the twitterverse knew better. 

5 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I know... but there are ways to overcome that technique-wise. Have to let him work his way through it, to a degree. Like I said, I understand the frustration with just how bad it was for a while there, and Barry should've put Breeland inside more often especially after that second TD drive, but we do have to acknowledge it's not as simple as just taking him out of the game if developing him is prioritized.   

The thing with Diggs, is that he is very very difficult to get hands on at the line. It was the one thing that really slowed him down last year and he's corrected it in his second year. It sucked to see him eating Fuller's lunch, but I agree with you that it was a necessary learning experience. Diggs would have done the same to Breeland, and even Norman struggles with Diggs-type WR's.

14 minutes ago, William Barbour said:

Redskins.

Only team forum where the ending credits discussion is new coach, game manager QB, questionable coaching.

After a win. The story of Extremeskins.

Much of the criticism is fair, if not a bit overboard.... but yeah, it does stink here that after pretty much every single win we're complaining more than celebrating. 

I don't know what it is that made Redskin fans here so dang snobby and entitled. It's like we're just coming off of Gibbs 1.0 or something. :ols: 

3 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

I would love nothing more than to be wrong about Joe Barry or to say he changed and developed. Still not sold at this point. But tired of seeing the teams performance being put solely on the players and talent level. Great Coaches get the most out of the players they have, yes our team is shorted on talent. 

I do think you have a valid point SWFL.  I gotta say, it's weird because I get just as frustrated by what I see on Sundays also.

But then I view the results, & it's shows a totally different result!  

It can be likened to a boxer using the rope-a-dope strategy.  Sure, you watch a guy pound on the fighter for 5 rounds & it looks ugly.  But afterwards, you see the scorecard and virtually none of those blows landed!  And the puncher lost the fight!

That's a clumsy metaphor, but it gets my point across.  Diggs seemingly killed us, but that was mostly dink-and-dunk stuff.  When The Game Was On The Line, Minnesota couldn't make those plays.  And Washington did.

That is the difference.  It ain't pretty, but it sure could get us back to The Playoffs.

1 minute ago, thesubmittedone said:

Much of the criticism is fair, if not a bit overboard.... but yeah, it does stink here that after pretty much every single win we're complaining more than celebrating. 

I don't know what it is that made Redskin fans here so dang snobby and entitled. It's like we're just coming off of Gibbs 1.0 or something. :ols: 

giphy.gif

21 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

But tired of seeing the teams performance being put solely on the players and talent level. Great Coaches get the most out of the players they have, yes our team is shorted on talent. 

How are you so sure this is what is happening, though? 

I mean, you say it like it's fact. If you're that good at evaluating talent and scheme, you shouldn't be on a message board, I need to find you a job in the NFL right away. :P 

I think most will say the talent on this team is lacking, defensively. Scot would definitely say that, as he had done so this offseason. You're acting like we got this elite player just taking over games on defense. Norman is the closest thing we have to that... outside of him it's just not the case. Most of our success, defensively, has come from out-scheming the other team and not some amazing displays of talent.  

I just totally disagree with you here. How do you really know he's not getting the most out of them? How are you assessing that, exactly?     

18 minutes ago, s0crates said:

And truthfully you have to give the defense some credit for holding onto the tie for 15 minutes in London with Hopkins and the offense unable to score. 

Yup, that's why I included the Bengals game there. :) 

Archived