Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Vikes at Redskins

TK

11 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

I think I woulda taken the penalty...but, the proofs in the puddin', they held em n' won so declining was probably the right way to go..put them in 4th down and 17 (?)...so, yeah, declining was the right call

Yeah, but taking the penalty and getting the runoff puts them at 3rd and 27 with one second left.  I was having fits over that.

I also think they're supposed to do a ten second runoff just for the injury.  It shouldn't be negated by not taking the penalty.

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

This is directly from the NFL rule book (I looked because I was screaming the same thing..:-) . I think this addresses the question. I bolded the part that I think applies.

Timing in Final Two Minutes of Each Half

1. On kickoff, clock does not start until the ball has been legally touched by player of either team in the field of play. (In all other cases, clock starts with kickoff.)
  3. A team cannot buy an excess time out for a penalty. However, a fourth time out is allowed without penalty for an injured player, who must be removed immediately. A fifth time out or more is allowed for an injury and a five-yard penalty is assessed if the clock was running. Additionally, if the clock was running and the score is tied or the team in possession is losing, the ball cannot be put in play for at least 10 seconds on the fourth or more time out. The half or game can end while those 10 seconds are run off on the clock.

Thank you for posting the rule.

I think it's the underlined part that matters the most.  It could still buy the fourth timeout BUT it would also do the ten-second runoff.  In either case we should have had the ten seconds run off.  I cut your part about taking the third and 27 just to not violate ES rules, but I totally agree.

6 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Yeah, but taking the penalty and getting the runoff puts them at 3rd and 27 with one second left.  I was having fits over that.

I also think they're supposed to do a ten second runoff just for the injury.  It shouldn't be negated by not taking the penalty.

oh ok, so there woulda been a runoff if we'd taken the penalty?...thought there shoulda been...and also for the injury...can't stop the clock with no time outs with an injury...then everyone would be faking n' floppin...

Just now, Stefanskins said:

oh ok, so there woulda been a runoff if we'd taken the penalty?...thought there shoulda been...and also for the injury...can't stop the clock with no time outs with an injury...then everyone would be faking n' floppin...

That's exactly right - a rule that I spent some time in here trying to explain to someone who does not like the run off rule :-) They thought it was stupid rule.

But before they had this rule, people were doing exactly that, flopping to get the clock stopped. It was laughable as there were like 3 guys assigned to drop, typically Oline. They would come in, go down if the clock was running only to replaced by someone else who would go down if the clock was not stopped. You would see the guy that went out come back in! Again, it was a joke, a bad one at that.

It's not a potential scenario. I saw it happen way too many times before the rule so I am glad for the rule. Just wish they would get full time refs that know the rules and how to enforce them. But that's for a different thread...  :-)

14 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I too wondered about taking the penalty. You give them 3rd and 27. I believe that with 11 secs the thought process is you could give them 2 plays now. If they pick up say 15 or 20 then they have 4th and 12 or 7 and more importantly they are much closer for a play to the EZ. All they need is 1 sec. You leave them at 4th and 17 and they only have one play and it really has to go to the EZ. So in effect it's 4th and 28 (They were at the 28 yard line). They have only one play. No room for error.

That's just a guess, but it's the best one I have :-)

right...still think its chitty that there wasn't 10 sec run off..even though the injury was legit...I know for a fact they'd done it to us...I just know it!!

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

That's exactly right - a rule that I spent some time in here trying to explain to someone who does not like the run off rule :-) They thought it was stupid rule.

But before they had this rule, people were doing exactly that, flopping to get the clock stopped. It was laughable as there were like 3 guys assigned to drop, typically Oline. They would come in, go down if the clock was running only to replaced by someone else who would go down if the clock was not stopped. You would see the guy that went out come back in! Again, it was a joke, a bad one at that.

It's not a potential scenario. I saw it happen way too many times before the rule so I am glad for the rule. Just wish they would get full time refs that know the rules and how to enforce them. But that's for a different thread...  :-)

lol oh I remember those times : )...n' you're totally right about three dudes fakin' an injury to stop the clock...might have been around that same time when they forced you to set out a play n' not just pop up n' go back in..

Can someone help me out with that play where the vikes scored a td to a wide open receiver coming out of the backfield when Norman was blocked in the end zone. Why was that a not a illegal pick play? Looked like the block was more than 5 yards from los. I only saw the play one time and it looked like a pick.

Just now, TheItalianStallion said:

Frustrating that we continue to struggle in the RZ, but if this team puts it together, we could represent the NFC in the SB. Course, we could also collapse and not even go .500

You need a good running game to score in the red zone. Do we have a good running game? No, so we will continue to struggle until we get one.

10 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

You need a good running game to score in the red zone. Do we have a good running game? No, so we will continue to struggle until we get one.

I think you're very off here, we don't qualify as a poor rushing team. I don't have time to look up stats, but I bet that we've easily been averaging 4+ per game since the philly game.

OK, I had time to glance at the NFL team stats, but still don't have time to check them game by game. On the season we rank 9th in average at 4.5 and 14th in total rush yards. We're not elite, but the answer to "Do we have a good rush game?" is certainly not "no."

11 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I think you're very off here, we don't qualify as a poor rushing team. I don't have time to look up stats, but I bet that we've easily been averaging 4+ per game since the philly game.

OK, I had time to glance at the NFL team stats, but still don't have time to check them game by game. On the season we rank 9th in average at 4.5 and 14th in total rush yards. We're not elite, but the answer to "Do we have a good rush game?" is certainly not "no."

Fair points, though our run game is arguably set up by our pass game. Without our strong pass game, our run game might be in the bottom half.

3 minutes ago, TheItalianStallion said:

Fair points, though our run game is arguably set up by our pass game. Without our strong pass game, our run game might be in the bottom half.

Agree completely. But in this day and age, many of the best offenses are pass first.

• TK locked this topic

Archived