Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scott McCloughan: Honest Evaluation and Contract Renewal

RedBeast

19 hours ago, redskins59 said:

And there is the possibility that Bruce Allen was impressed by Scot McCloughan's recommendations without actually drafting those recommended players.  If you have a scouting department who are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, you are going to go with what they have found, not what a consultant found.  Scot McCloughan charged, what, 75,000 dollars from what I recall?  There are also other scouting services that the Redskins are signed up for.  Those are just recommendations.  Ultimately, the scouting department makes their picks. 

Saying that the 2014 draft was Scot McCloughan's seems to me like utter nonsense.  

Also, let me ask you all, what sort of record would we have last year without Kirk Cousins?  The record last year has a lot to do with the QB rather than McCloughan. So even with Bruce Allen, if Kirk Cousins was the starter, we would have a much better record.  So frankly speaking, Cousins is making Scot look better as well.  The team has been getting better for a while now.  Sometimes you won't be able to see it if the QB position is trash.

Lets start with the context of your point which was we were doing fine with Bruce running the show and you questioned whether we even needed Scot -- but heck bring Scot on the more the merrier but Bruce did a solid job without him. 

My response is how do you know he did it without him?  It would be ironic that Bruce would have the draft of his life in 2014 after a long career -- the idea that Scot was a consultant is just incidental?  Its possible he was incidental.  It would be a bit weird, though.  But the kicker is this:   you ignore Scot's recommendations.  And then oddly talked about those recommendations being very good in a press conference.  And then hire that said consultant to run the drafts for you full-time.  Maybe it all went down that way.  But that would be IMO a strange sequence of events.  At the very least I can't see how you can conclusively say we would have likely been ok with Bruce running this with or without Scot.  I'd maybe feel differently if Bruce killed it in prior drafts at Tampa and was known as a draft wiz.  But far from it.

I never ripped Scott Campbell.  I've followed the Scott Campbell story. Shanny implied Vinny ignored Campbell's recommendations thus he kept him. As for Shanny subsequently ignoring them, too -- I don't recall that story I'd be curious to see that one. I went digging for it just now but couldn't fine one.    But I'd love to see it if you know where that story is because it would be ironic for Shanny.   As for Bruce on Campbell, I do recall Bruce saying he does a good job and to blame the Redskins lack of success on him would be unfair. 

Again my point is Scot likely had a hand in the 2014 draft.  I think anyone hired to make recommendations for a specific job -- you can safely said that person likely had a part in it.  If you disagree, cool -- I am just explaining my perspective and a lot of that has to do with my job which as a consultant -- I generally at the minimum have a hand with said client who hired me.

I am a big Kirk guy.  But, I don't completely divorce Kirk's success here from Scot.  And I've explained why.  Between the O line and O line depth.  Crowder and V. Davis.  Robert Kelley.  But much more importantly, not trading Kirk when he could have and convincing Danny to make him the guy after they already committed big bucks for RG3.  Even Kirk talked about Scot being the key for him having the opportunity to do this.  But again I made my point on this.  If you disagree, cool. 

If I had to sum up Scot.  Building a younger roster with multiple emerging young players.  Building depth.  Adding draft picks versus losing them -- rare for this franchise.  Being in excellent shape cap wise -- again rare.  All a bigger deal than IMO Scot's critics give it credit for. 

I think the biggest point that I am trying to make and I am in a rare position to make it because I talked to the dude for 2 hours (winning an auction) 6 weeks or so ago -- the main thing you guys dislike about him -- is likely going to be washed away in the off season.   The gist of the IMO the most valid hit on Scot (the other criticism leveled IMO are short-sighted flailing that few NFL observers would agree with) is how come this dude hasn't fixed the defense yet?   What happened to the D line?  We should have gone more aggressive in FA in particular to fix it.     I get this criticism. 

I got strong indications that this is going to be the super aggressive off season to fix the defense that you guys wanted last off season.  And the 2 things that seem to be yawn for some here -- the 10 draft picks and the ton of cap space -- this isn't going to add up to yawn in the Spring.  Setting up tomorrow by doing certain things today is a foreign concept for the most part with this organization -- but IMO you'll see the power of it this Spring.    It's sort of Vinny in reverse -- you don't feel the hits of Vinny spending against the cap right away, you don't feel the I am going to trade a 3rd and 4th for Duckett right away.   It's into the future.  So who cares.  But ultimately the future arrives and then we can't afford to resign Antonio Pierce.  We don't have depth because we don't have draft picks.  We are about to see how all of that works in reverse.  And I get its boring until it happens.  But it will happen -- and happen soon, hold on.  

Right now my one and only major complain about SM is the handling of the KC situation. For me it was a major mistake to allow Cousins to play on a tag and not sign him to a long term deal. If he is such a great evaluator he basically lost one of the biggest bets he ever placed and right now has put this team in jeopardy at the most critical position. 

In addition he has missed on picks like Jones but to be fair picking Kelly and Brown shows he knows what he is doing. And let's not BS each other we were all applauding the Doctson pick, it was unfortunate what happened with the injury.  

We we all need to understand this team has had back to back winning seasons and a probability back to back playoff appearances without having the benefit of a number one pick from years 2012-2014 plus a number two pick in 2012. That is a hell of a lot of talent that can be on both sides of the ball helping out right now.  

Still I would consider SM a failure if he doesn't get a deal signed with Cousins.  You can't miss on a QB like that when he has been on your team from the get go 

I like to see it as Scot laid the foundations of the roster the last two years. He helped set up the culture with Jay so we can have a good base to work with. Now we're ready for the upgrades that should take us over the top.

If I'm right he said something in an interview that fixing the D is easy.

So we only have to do the easy part of the job? Great

10 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I like to see it as Scot laid the foundations of the roster the last two years. He helped set up the culture with Jay so we can have a good base to work with. Now we're ready for the upgrades that should take us over the top.

If I'm right he said something in an interview that fixing the D is easy.

So we only have to do the easy part of the job? Great

I got the vibe loud and strong that Scot knew he didn't fix the defense in the off season.  But moving draft picks from 2016 to 2017 -- not filling their cap space and forwarding it to 2017, etc  --- all set up this off season.  He didn't say this part to me but based on different things he said including in interviews -- Scot didn't think this last off season would take this team to the Superbowl -- they weren't close enough yet.   It's clear they are closer now.  He deferred some 2016 upgrades to allow them to be very aggressive in 2017 -- both in terms of FA and the draft.   If people don't want to take my word for it.  Guys like Mike Jones and others who cover the team have expressed that you'll see an aggressive off season.  

12 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

You are right, Dotson is a bust and that is worse than a reach and if I don't blame Scot who should I blame? Did you draft him? I didn't. The Giants D was not made this off season? Well they went from 32 to around 15 this year and you do not have to develop every guy if you know how to pick in FA. Do I think Reese was right? Again his D went from 32 to 15, yes I think he was right. We were the NFC east Champs and now we are not. Yes I think Reese did a good job this last 9 years, a lot better than Vinny. I expected us to repeat as NFC east champs but when I saw SM do nothing to help our D,this off season and I saw our schedule I became skeptical. I was looking forward to watch our team in the playoffs and now it does not look like they will make it so yes, I am not happy with our GM. 

It's Doctson's rookie season, and he's been hurt since camp, and was put on IR.  But he's a bust?  LMAO.  GTFOH......

We have not one, but two of our starting WRs (Garcon/Jackson) playing in a contract year.  There's a real possibility (albeit unlikely) that neither of them return next season.  Add Reed and his continued injury concerns, and I can't say I blame the guy for drafting him.  Our receiving corp becomes pretty thin if Garcon and Jackson go elsewhere in the offseason. 

No complaints about the way Scot has done his job. When he was hired I fully expected the rebuild to be a 3-4 year process with the shape the roster was in and he's exceeded that. Furthermore, my inclination was that Scot had a build through the draft philosophy (ex: Seattle, GB, Pitt) and issues with the roster wouldn't be solved through FA, at least early on. The defense continues to have significant issues, but with a plethora of cap space and draft picks, things are moving in the right direction for sure. This offseason will certainly be a key to the future of this franchise with a lot of free agent decisions to be made. IMO re-signing Cousins, Jackson & Baker are imperative. I could deal with a Garcon over Jackson scenario but I'm not as favorable on that decision. 

27 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Right now my one and only major complain about SM is the handling of the KC situation. For me it was a major mistake to allow Cousins to play on a tag and not sign him to a long term deal. If he is such a great evaluator he basically lost one of the biggest bets he ever placed and right now has put this team in jeopardy at the most critical position. 

In addition he has missed on picks like Jones but to be fair picking Kelly and Brown shows he knows what he is doing. And let's not BS each other we were all applauding the Doctson pick, it was unfortunate what happened with the injury.  

We we all need to understand this team has had back to back winning seasons and a probability back to back playoff appearances without having the benefit of a number one pick from years 2012-2014 plus a number two pick in 2012. That is a hell of a lot of talent that can be on both sides of the ball helping out right now.  

Still I would consider SM a failure if he doesn't get a deal signed with Cousins.  You can't miss on a QB like that when he has been on your team from the get go 

I'd agree it was a bold move, but I can't say I disagree with it.  It was a much safer move.  After only one good season, that's risky--if you pay him and he ****s the bed, you're out a lot of money.  Tag him and make him prove it wasn't just one good season.  He has, and I think SM won't hesitate to give him what he's worth. 

24 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I like to see it as Scot laid the foundations of the roster the last two years. He helped set up the culture with Jay so we can have a good base to work with. 

I agree. I think he's played it cautiously to see what we have. Couple of years to take a look and set the base. Signing major free agents a couple of years ago would have been a waste of cash and two years of those FA players peek careers. Clearly the Norman contract was outside that remit, but the bottom line was he was just too good to pass over, the guys elite.

50 minutes ago, bradboyd80 said:

I'd agree it was a bold move, but I can't say I disagree with it.  It was a much safer move.  After only one good season, that's risky--if you pay him and he ****s the bed, you're out a lot of money.  Tag him and make him prove it wasn't just one good season.  He has, and I think SM won't hesitate to give him what he's worth. 

Remains to be seen at what money and if he does it.  Again anyone one of us would pick Apple 10 years ago if we knew how the stock would perform. Does that make us stock gurus?  The trick is to add value to the team and when he had the chance he didn't. 

2 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

1) This has been said a billion times on the Cousins thread(s), but it's far far worse to pay $20 mil to a QB who ends up only being worth $15 mil and that you may be wanting to move on from a few years down the road, than it is to pay $25 mil to a QB who is worth $25 mil, buuut you could have had him for $20 mil.

2) How is it "losing" to have all doubts removed about Cousins before paying him?

3) What, exactly, was Scot M "betting" anyway?...Was his bet that Cousins would only prove himself to be worth $16 million?...That this season would somehow prove Cousins should take whatever the Skins offer? What was the "bet" here that Scot apparently lost?

4) How in the hell is the team in jeopardy at the most critical position simply by franchising Cousins? lol...Jeebus, the doom and gloom surrounding franchising Cousins instead of meeting his demands is getting laughable.

2 hours ago, bradboyd80 said:

It's Doctson's rookie season, and he's been hurt since camp, and was put on IR.  But he's a bust?  LMAO.  GTFOH......

A first round player that misses their entire rookie season, including camp is a huge bust already. 

WR? Pretty much impossible for a WR in Josh's situation to make a comeback. Guys like Malcolm Kelly, *Kevin White, Stephen Hill, etc. Best case scenario for Josh is at a Robert Meachem level, or more recently maybe Perriman for Baltimore. And that's his ceiling. 

5 minutes ago, Mooka said:

A first round player that misses their entire rookie season, including camp is a huge bust already. 

WR? Pretty much impossible for a WR in Josh's situation to make a comeback. Guys like Malcolm Kelly, James White, Stephen Hill, etc. Best case scenario for Josh is at a Robert Meachem level, or more recently maybe Perriman for Baltimore. And that's his ceiling. 

There is no way of determining the guys ceiling. We haven't even seen him play healthy yet.  

Opinion only below, grain of salt here --> .

Re: FA and the draft. I dont think this is a fluke that we have a lot of cap space and 10 picks going into year 3...especially after reading SIPs posts. I fully believe it was part of the overall plan and that he not only has the top 60 college players mapped out but also has the top 30 FAs listed and ready to hit (which includes re-signing some of our own as well e.g. KC , Shaggy, Djax and/or Garcon. Probably a few FAs in D have GMSM salivating). I guess that the next two years of his contract are going to be pretty exciting for us as Redskins fans. At the end of 2018 GMSM's and Gruden's contracts both are up.

I am trying not to get too hyped, but I truly believe that we are going to be quite happy this off season. Not 100% of the blocks are going to be filled but the team will be noticeably stronger/balanced and our defense is going to surprise some people next year; middle of the pack or better? Offense will shape up just fine and will hopefully come out of the gate clicking. Maybe a few surprises on O as well? Joe Barry will still be here, but 2017 could be his make/break year. But as demonstrated annually across the NFL even the best laid plans are subject to fate, whether it be injuries or a million other possibilities.

As we sit now, we have 50/50% on our playoff chances in the final week of the year for two years running. I hope we find more victory against the Gints and further but looking beyond 2016, I believe that our future is quite bright and GMSM definitely has a hand in that. We are finally starting to shake off some of that old stank and see the seeds of a new Redskins generation begin to pop their heads up. Hopefully we will see the harvest soon.

5 minutes ago, RedBeast said:

I am trying not to get too hyped, but I truly believe that we are going to be quite happy this off season. Not 100% of the blocks are going to be filled but the team will be noticeably stronger/balanced and our defense is going to surprise some people next year; middle of the pack or better? Offense will shape up just fine and will hopefully come out of the gate clicking. Maybe a few surprises on O as well? Joe Barry will still be here, but 2017 could be his make/break year. But as demonstrated annually across the NFL even the best laid plans are subject to fate, whether it be injuries or a million other possibilities.

As we sit now, we have 50/50% on our playoff chances in the final week of the year for two years running. I hope we find more victory against the Gints and further. But looking beyond 2016, I believe that our future is quite bright and GMSM definitely has a hand in that. We are finally starting to shake off some of that old stank and see the seeds of a new Redskins generation begin to pop their heads up. Hopefully we will see the harvest soon.

I'm trying not to get too hyped either, but it's hard not to get excited.  With a middle of the pack D, I can't imagine we are any worse than 11-4 right now.  With the right moves, this team could take a huge step next year.  

1 hour ago, bradboyd80 said:

There is no way of determining the guys ceiling. We haven't even seen him play healthy yet.  

Well anything's possible, and that's your only argument, which is not good for Josh. 

There's no way we can assume we'll ever see him play healthy with that type of injury. Seems like something he'll have to play through which usually leads to other serious injuries, like that happened to *Kevin White this season. 

As of now, he's a young WR with a bad Achilles, which makes him a huge bust. NFL history says he has no ceiling and while its possible he could be the exception, I wouldn't bank on it. 

6 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Well anything's possible, and that's your only argument, which is not good for Josh. 

There's no way we can assume we'll ever see him play healthy with that type of injury. Seems like something he'll have to play through which usually leads to other serious injuries, like that happened to *Kevin White this season. 

As of now, he's a young WR with a bad Achilles, which makes him a huge bust. NFL history says he has no ceiling and while its possible he could be the exception, I wouldn't bank on it. 

I'll agree that the odds aren't in his favor. But I won't call him a bust until we get two or three years in and he still hasn't produced. We'll see......

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got the vibe loud and strong that Scot knew he didn't fix the defense in the off season.  But moving draft picks from 2016 to 2017 -- not filling their cap space and forwarding it to 2017, etc  --- all set up this off season.  He didn't say this part to me but based on different things he said including in interviews -- Scot didn't think this last off season would take this team to the Superbowl -- they weren't close enough yet.   It's clear they are closer now.  He deferred some 2016 upgrades to allow them to be very aggressive in 2017 -- both in terms of FA and the draft.   If people don't want to take my word for it.  Guys like Mike Jones and others who cover the team have expressed that you'll see an aggressive off season.  

I believe some tends to downplay the fact that FA pool wasn't really great last year besides 3/4 guys and we already grabbed one of them in Norman. Don't really see the point in going heavy in Fa, if the pool is not great.

2 hours ago, bradboyd80 said:

After only one good season, that's risky--if you pay him and he ****s the bed, you're out a lot of money.

Well it was more one so-so first half and one elite second half in the season. So we really needed to know what he was really made of.

3 minutes ago, Mooka said:

As of now, he's a young WR with a bad Achilles, which makes him a huge bust. NFL history says he has no ceiling, and its possible he could be the exception, but I wouldn't bank on it. 

You make things sound very gloom and doom in regards to Doctson.  However, every doctor, independent or redskins affiliated, has said something entirely different.  Given enough time, the achilles should heal and it should not be a chronic issue.  He just hasn't had enough time to rest and fully recover yet.  Malcolm Kelly had chronic knee issues ever since college.  He had medical red flags, and as a result, dropped to the mid/late 2nd round.  My Cousin Vinny decided to pick him anyways.  Kevin White was a one year wonder who was over drafted based on potential and has had two unrelated injuries in the pros.  

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17671144/washington-redskins-wr-josh-doctson-held-achilles-tendinitis

"You need a longer time span for it to just cool out. Obviously, I don't have that time right now. In the offseason, it should be a done deal. But as of right now, it will be recurring."

35 minutes ago, RedBeast said:

Opinion only below, grain of salt here --> .

Re: FA and the draft. I dont think this is a fluke that we have a lot of cap space and 10 picks going into year 3...especially after reading SIPs posts. I fully believe it was part of the overall plan and that he not only has the top 60 college players mapped out but also has the top 30 FAs listed and ready to hit (which includes re-signing some of our own as well e.g. KC , Shaggy, Djax and/or Garcon. Probably a few FAs in D have GMSM salivating). I guess that the next two years of his contract are going to be pretty exciting for us as Redskins fans. At the end of 2018 GMSM's and Gruden's contracts both are up.

As we sit now, we have 50/50% on our playoff chances in the final week of the year for two years running. I hope we find more victory against the Gints and further but looking beyond 2016, I believe that our future is quite bright and GMSM definitely has a hand in that. We are finally starting to shake off some of that old stank and see the seeds of a new Redskins generation begin to pop their heads up. Hopefully we will see the harvest soon.

Scot didn't spell out his plan for me.  But via how he answered some questions, via how he talked about the roster, via giving me some idea about what he's looking at in the 2017 draft, explaining a little what happened in the last draft and some other stuff we covered -- very clear to me its going to be a VERY aggressive off season in fixing this defense.  And yeah I got every vibe that it will be an entertaining off season for that reason.

36 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I believe some tends to downplay the fact that FA pool wasn't really great last year besides 3/4 guys and we already grabbed one of them in Norman. Don't really see the point in going heavy in Fa, if the pool is not great.

Agree.  In retrospect maybe I'd have shelled out the money for Damon Harrison but his contract was huge for a pure run stuffing NT.    The vibe I got is to your point, i don't think Scot wanted to force anything in FA or the draft partly because I don't think he thought he was a player or two away from the Superbowl.   But he is very aware that in doing so last off season there are some glaring holes on the team and in short the way he explained himself on a defensive position in particular -- he came off like he's all over it.  But yeah the draft picks and cap room sets this up nicely.

Someone asked recently again about 9 picks or 10.  I thought originally it was 9 picks.  But one of the first things I asked Scot was this question and he told me that the Carrier deal was actually a 5th rounder for a 7th with a contingency based on playing time where you could lose the 7th.  He thought this would end with them having 10 picks.  So I presume its still 10 picks -- unless Carrier exceeded the deal's parameters on playing time.

24 minutes ago, Area51 said:

You make things sound very gloom and doom in regards to Doctson.  However, every doctor, independent or redskins affiliated, has said something entirely different.  Given enough time, the achilles should heal and it should not be a chronic issue.  He just hasn't had enough time to rest and fully recover yet.  Malcolm Kelly had chronic knee issues ever since college.  He had medical red flags, and as a result, dropped to the mid/late 2nd round.  My Cousin Vinny decided to pick him anyways.  Kevin White was a one year wonder who was over drafted based on potential and has had two unrelated injuries in the pros.  

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17671144/washington-redskins-wr-josh-doctson-held-achilles-tendinitis

"You need a longer time span for it to just cool out. Obviously, I don't have that time right now. In the offseason, it should be a done deal. But as of right now, it will be recurring."

Riiiiiight. And Scot broke his hand punching a wall because its all gravy. 

He just needs rest to fully recover which should take no longer then a couple weeks, he'll be ready for training camp.

Ok, a couple more weeks, he'll be ready for preseason, no that walking boot is just a precaution. 

Ok, a few months, he'll be ready for the season. 

Ok, an entire year. He'll be ready to go next year.

“I’m not really concerned because I know my body, and I’ve never really had lingering problems. I heal fast.”

46 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Riiiiiight. And Scot broke his hand punching a wall because its all gravy. 

He just needs rest to fully recover which should take no longer then a couple weeks, he'll be ready for training camp.

Ok, a couple more weeks, he'll be ready for preseason, no that walking boot is just a precaution. 

Ok, a few months, he'll be ready for the season. 

Ok, an entire year. He'll be ready to go next year.

“I’m not really concerned because I know my body, and I’ve never really had lingering problems. I heal fast.”

I could tell you first hand Scot didn't punch his hand in the wall because he thought Josh's career was over or its just about impossible for him now to have a great career.    Scot is naturally disappointed he wasn't ready to play in camp which usually is critically important for a rookie to contribute in year 1.  That not enough to be upset about? 

Many subjects I just touched on with Scot.  Doctson I covered pretty well. I'll start with this Scot was so brutally honest with me that it made the conversation fun, he took some shots and made it clear on some counts on situations that we as fans might need to worry about or things that need to fixed.    For example, I'd say hey this position probably needs to be fixed -- he'd in most cases agreed, and talk about said player and their imperfections.  We didn't do that back and forth a ton but I learned enough about what he didn't like or thought needed to be improved.  In other words, the dude wasn't a Pollyanna where he painted everything like roses.   He even talked to me about one of his draft picks where he alluded that they needed to step up.

As for Doctson -- Scot was enamored.  He has no fear about that injury having long term implications.  He said that Doctson somewhat blew it by not disclosing his injury-pain for too long hence making that problem worse.  Said Docston to him is Dez Bryant.  He gave me every indication he's jazzed about him for next season.  

Doctson was my pick on the draft thread when we made picks before the draft.  He has good speed, great hands, wins jump balls, has size.  There was a great article before the draft which measured the receivers in the draft on numerous metrics and Doctson was the guy who was off the charts.  Forgetting all of that if Scot can find Crowder in the late 4th, I'll trust his judgment about a receiver in the first.  Will see.

Just now, bradboyd80 said:

We have not one, but two of our starting WRs (Garcon/Jackson) playing in a contract year.  There's a real possibility (albeit unlikely) that neither of them return next season.  Add Reed and his continued injury concerns, and I can't say I blame the guy for drafting him.  Our receiving corp becomes pretty thin if Garcon and Jackson go elsewhere in the offseason. 

O.K. Suppose Dotson never plays a down for us? Suppose he never heals and he is out of football. Would you then say he was a bust or a great pick? You would say he is a bust. If you bothered to read my posts about the guy I said "NOW he is a bust because he cannot help us but if he comes back next year and becomes a good receiver then I will say it was a good pick. If Dotson never plays and we loose Garcon and DJax we are in worse position. " Rating SM picks NOW not next year LAMO and you GTFO.  

Archived