Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Combo Thread: Redskins Flex Scheduling Updates/Playoff Positioning Updates

kleese

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Wow, good call. That's exactly what it is...

4.5/8 = .563

Yep ties count as half a win in the win %. By seasons end if two teams with the same # of wins are tied, the one with the tie(and thus fewer losses)would have the tiebreaker. Right now as someone else said its a little confusing because not everyone's had a bye yet.

We are in a neutral position as far as playoffs are concerned IMO. A "good" position would be a situation where you have a margin for error over the second half. And I don't think we are in a "bad" spot either. That would mean we'd either need help or have to win an unrealistic amount of our remaining games. 

5-3 is likely to get you in. 4-4 likely puts you on the bubble, probably slightly more likely to be on the outside. Neither of those outcomes are extreme in either way. 

I view the second half in two parts: the tough and the not as tough. 

The first four are pretty tough: 

Vikings, Packers, at Cowboys, at Cardinals. 

The last four are a little easier:

at Eagles, Panthers, at Bears, Giants. 

My goal is simple, get to the Giants game with 8 wins. If we do, my guess is that we can play ourselves into the playoffs that day. 

So that means we need to go 4-3 over the other 7 games. 

Most realistic there would be to split those first four and then win two of three with the Eagles, Bears, and Panthers. 

The big key from my perspective is not losing BOTH of the games after the bye at home. Beat either the Vikes or Pack and we will be in good shape. 

I picked the Bears to beat the Vikings tonight-- Minn offense might be the worst in the NFL. Defense is very stout but that game isn't any harder overall in my eyes than playing at Detroit or the Bengals. Very, very winnable. 

Because of the two disappointment finishes, I think it leaves us on the outside looking in for the NFC East crown. We would need Dallas to really get in a funk and looking at their schedule, they are winning 12 games. So, getting a wildcard bid would require us to win 5 or even 6 more games. With our schedule, does anyone realistically see that happening? We have to go 2-2 in the next 4 games (Minnesota, Dallas? GB?) to have a chance. I don't see it...

16 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Because of the two disappointment finishes, I think it leaves us on the outside looking in for the NFC East crown. We would need Dallas to really get in a funk and looking at their schedule, they are winning 12 games. So, getting a wildcard bid would require us to win 5 or even 6 more games. With our schedule, does anyone realistically see that happening? We have to go 2-2 in the next 4 games (Minnesota, Dallas? GB?) to have a chance. I don't see it...

The Vikings aren't a good team. Horrible offense that has been horrible all year. Got by early because their defense and ST scored points for them. That isn't sustainable. Catching up to them now. Their defense is really good so that will keep them competitive, but that is a game we should win. Then win just ONE of the next three and you are OK. 

59 minutes ago, kleese said:

The Vikings aren't a good team. Horrible offense that has been horrible all year. Got by early because their defense and ST scored points for them. That isn't sustainable. Catching up to them now. Their defense is really good so that will keep them competitive, but that is a game we should win. Then win just ONE of the next three and you are OK. 

Kleese, I respect you a lot and your opinion on this regarding the Vikes moving forward. But the Vikes FEAST off of opponents making mistakes and, well, our beloved Redskins make plenty of 'em. 

Hey can we get a bye week again next week? 

Today was a pretty good day for the Redskins. For those that don't know, if the season ended today we would be the last wildcard. So for those of you saying a loss last week was the same as a tie, well, you are very, very wrong. 

With Dallas looking great to win the East, I think our focus should be solely on the wild card. If for some reason Dallas stumbles and the door opens again for the division then we can talk about that, but for now, we are fighting for one of the two WC spots. 

So all you need to do is look at second place in each division. What you will find is a whole glut of teams that look similar to us. 

Stil no sense in overly defining who to root for each week other than the obvious-- keep rooting for AFC teams to beat NFC teams. And root for the few NFC teams (49ers, Rams, Bucs) that don't reallly look like playoff threats at this point. 

I think the Giants are the most obvious enemy right now. We don't necessarily need to pass them, but I view them and whoever winds up second in the North as the biggest threats. But really, everyone is about the same. 

And its not "must win" time either. A loss to Minn would feel bad and hurt our chances no doubt, but we'd still be right there. Beat GB the next week and you're fine. 

My goal is to split the next four (Vikes, Pack, at Boys, at Cards). Then maybe we need to win 3 of last four but that would be doable. 

In other words, we are far from feeling comfortable or being eliminated. The "danger zone" would be losing the next two. That would set up close to a must win in Dallas and we don't want that. 

Next week'a games of interest: 

Green Bay at Tennessee: Obviously we want Titans, but my superstition kicks in as well. Do we really want the Pack to come in having lost three in a row and absolutely desperate? I also worry about Rodgers having a big game and finding his groove. So I'm just unsure on what I want here. But numbers-wise, of course, root for Tenn. 

Chicago at Tampa Bay: This is very minor as I don't view TB as any real contender, but for kicks root for the Bears. 

Kansas City at Carolina: No NFC contender wants to see Panthers get hot. Go Chiefs. 

Atlanta at Philadelphia: I guess there is always an outside chance things flip and Atlanta becomes a wild card contender, but the more reasoned approach is to root for ATL to run away with south and keep beating teams like Philly. 

Los Angeles at NY Jets: Minor, but root for Jets. 

Denver at New Orleans: Clearly rooting for Broncos. 

Dallas at Pittsburgh: I think they are out of our sights now, but no reason not to pull for the NFC team. 

San Francisco at Arizona: Root for Niners, but good luck with that. 

Seattle at New England: Someone has to win west so this is pretty irrelevant but like the Dallas game, no reason not to pull for NE. 

Cincinnati at NY Giants: Probably the biggest and most obvious game on the board. 

As for scheduling, decision on our game with GB needs to be made early this week. Even with GB struggling, I still see no way it gets flexed back to the afternoon. We are currently a playoff team and GB is wildly popular and in the mix. I think you can bank on that game staying put. 

11 hours ago, kleese said:

My goal is to split the next four (Vikes, Pack, at Boys, at Cards). Then maybe we need to win 3 of last four but that would be doable. 

In other words, we are far from feeling comfortable or being eliminated. The "danger zone" would be losing the next two. That would set up close to a must win in Dallas and we don't want that. 

Next week is big for us. Will take the pressure off that Green Bay game a little and paper is the easiest of the next 3. We need to look to be going 2-1 to end the month.

I am not thinking about Arizona yet, apart from the fact I just booked my flights lol - if anyone is interested tickets are very cheap for this game right now.... $50 in the upper regions on the Skins sideline. 

22 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Exactly, I could think of many reasons to not pull for Dallas ? One of them being they're our division enemy. Another reason is because **** them 

I believe  (hope) it's a typo.  **** Dallas . 

2 minutes ago, Poman said:

I believe  (hope) it's a typo.  **** Dallas . 

Yes, typo. Should be AFC. But I don't really care about that game. I think Dallas wins an absolute minimum of 11 games and more like 12. I don't think we are chasing them at this point. 

2 minutes ago, kleese said:

Yes, typo. Should be AFC. But I don't really care about that game. I think Dallas wins an absolute minimum of 11 games and more like 12. I don't think we are chasing them at this point. 

Figured that's what you meant :D 

sadly I have to agree. Barring a two game losing streak heading into our matchup and us winning these next two, Dallas pretty much has the division won. I'm still hoping though!!! 

Realistically it's wild card or nothing. 

3 hours ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

I am not thinking about Arizona yet, apart from the fact I just booked my flights lol - if anyone is interested tickets are very cheap for this game right now.... $50 in the upper regions on the Skins sideline. 

Where did you find the tickets? 

10 hours ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

Next week is big for us. Will take the pressure off that Green Bay game a little and paper is the easiest of the next 3. We need to look to be going 2-1 to end the month.

im headed out to the Arizona game lol. I should have waited but decided to jump on it and make it a trip as my many lists of trips this year.

6 hours ago, wit33 said:

stubhub.

10 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

@Suffolk_Skins You've been here long enough at this point to know Rule 11. 

We've been lenient with it lately, but a post that long should never be quoted and left as is. Please edit it out and shorten it. Thanks. 

Done, sorry was posting from my phone last night.

8 hours ago, wit33 said:

All the usual places, if you're thinking of going, buy now. Market value is low... But if the Cards get hot....

On 07/11/2016 at 3:51 AM, kleese said:

Wait, what?! You don't want to win in Dallas?!

Blasphemy! lol

46 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

A lot of the teams play each other with the NFC East playing the North. Its gonna be really intersting. I think 9 wins gets us in because we'd get in at 9-6-1 over any 9-7 team. I just don't see two 10 win Wild Card teams, MAYBE one.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if 8-7-1 is good enough to get in this year. I think that would be about a 50/50 proposition. I think 9-6-1 would be close to 100%.

In other words, 5-3 or better and you can lock us in. 3-5 or worse and you can lock us out. 4-4? Puts us on the fence.

1 hour ago, kleese said:

Wouldn't be surprised at all if 8-7-1 is good enough to get in this year. I think that would be about a 50/50 proposition. I think 9-6-1 would be close to 100%.

In other words, 5-3 or better and you can lock us in. 3-5 or worse and you can lock us out. 4-4? Puts us on the fence.

Yep. And one funny thing, we might actually have to root for the Cowboys quite a bit in the second half of the season. They still have games against the Vikings, Lions, Giants, and Eagles.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep. And one funny thing, we might actually have to root for the Cowboys quite a bit in the second half of the season. They still have games against the Vikings, Lions, Giants, and Eagles.

Next two weeks, Skins fans are in the clear-- the Boys play Pittsburgh and Baltimore, so no harm in rooting against them. And obviously, we will root against them on Thanksgiving. After that? We might need some help from them.

33 minutes ago, kleese said:

Next two weeks, Skins fans are in the clear-- the Boys play Pittsburgh and Baltimore, so no harm in rooting against them. And obviously, we will root against them on Thanksgiving. After that? We might need some help from them.

Exactly. In my mind, the Cowboys are about a 95% chance to win the East now (I'm sure it's not mathematically that high yet, but I don't see them losing this lead). Therefore, I'm going to root for them anytime they play another NFC team because that will ultimately help us make the playoffs. 

Archived