Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Combo Thread: Redskins Flex Scheduling Updates/Playoff Positioning Updates

kleese

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Exactly. In my mind, the Cowboys are about a 95% chance to win the East now (I'm sure it's not mathematically that high yet, but I don't see them losing this lead). Therefore, I'm going to root for them anytime they play another NFC team because that will ultimately help us make the playoffs. 

Remember the Redskins were 7-1 in 1996............and we didnt get in

The Gibbs teams got old- FAST.  I mean, a lot of our great players were drafted in the early 80s.  So you figure that most were in their 12th+ year or more in the NFL.  We waited too late to replace them.  Most of the 92 SB team consisted of plug in older players.  Scan the roster and you will see how many trades and free agent signings we made.  Nothing in the pipeline.  Then it went bare.  We exacerbated the problem by bringing in Norv Turner and trying to emulate the Cowboy's "triplets".  We should have stuck to our own identity. Trying to draft like the Cowboys and signing former Cowboy players, set us back 10 more years. And here we are.

10 hours ago, c slag said:

I was so depressed over that season...the last in RFK...what the heck happened that it all fell apart so fast?

I can't remember exactly, but we had 2 losses to pathetic Arizona on last second FG's and I think another one against Tampa Bay when they were still wearing those creamsicle colored jersey's. PAGING KLEESE!!! He can recount everything about how it all fell apart.

I was only 10 in 96 and just getting into my Redskins fandom, but IIRC we were barely beating teams and were getting kinda lucky that season. Even Darrell Green told us to pump our brakes, we're not that good.

A more disappointing letdown would have been the 6-2 start in 2008. This Cowboys team actually looks a lot like that Redskins team did: strong run game, good D, and a QB that isn't making mistakes. It all fell apart against the Steelers in 2008, and who do the Cowboys play this week? The Steelers...unfortunately I think the Cowboys are a lot more solid and I don't see them losing more than 3-4 games tops.

2 hours ago, Yeen80 said:

I can't remember exactly, but we had 2 losses to pathetic Arizona on last second FG's and I think another one against Tampa Bay when they were still wearing those creamsicle colored jersey's. PAGING KLEESE!!! He can recount everything about how it all fell apart.

Yep...

Grandpa Boomer threw for 500+ yards against us in one of those Cardinal losses. We also had a holding call negate a GW FG against Arizona that year (I can't remember if that was the same game or the other one). We had a shot to upset the 49ers but fell just short. 

The game that I remember was a win IN PHILLY to jump to 8-3. We had lost 2 straight games after the soft 7-1 start and had a huge matchup in Philly. We beat them by 4-5 points (I think) and I exhaled. In my mind, all we had to do was win 2 of our next 5 to get in. Whoops. 

46 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yep...

Grandpa Boomer threw for 500+ yards against us in one of those Cardinal losses. We also had a holding call negate a GW FG against Arizona that year (I can't remember if that was the same game or the other one). We had a shot to upset the 49ers but fell just short. 

The game that I remember was a win IN PHILLY to jump to 8-3. We had lost 2 straight games after the soft 7-1 start and had a huge matchup in Philly. We beat them by 4-5 points (I think) and I exhaled. In my mind, all we had to do was win 2 of our next 5 to get in. Whoops. 

Scott Galbreath was guilty of that holding call and yes it was the same game Boomer shredded us. IIRC Kent Graham started the other Cardinals game that year and, well, shredded us too. We also came out flat on Thanksgiving at Dallas that year and after that wheels were falling off the wagon

On 11/10/2016 at 8:43 AM, Yeen80 said:

We had no run defense that year or pretty much from 95-99. At the end of the season everyone was just trucking us. During that losing streak, we lost those two close ones to Arizona and the 49ers when they were still very good in a very deflating game. It was probably the best effort we put forth that year. The last game at RFK I was so pissed, I mean we were running up the score on Dallas who had taken everyone out of the game by like the 1st quarter. Everyone was talking bad about Dallas that game, but I was like, what do they care?? They're in the playoffs, we all of the sudden wake up for the first time in like 5 weeks. It was like, where was this last week? Or the week before etc. I hated that year..

So the worst we can finish this week is the 6 seed.

The best we can finish is the 5th if the Giants lose tomorrow night. 

Not a bad weekend.

I'd love to make the playoffs as a goal this year.  It would be fantastic for team growth and I think it would set us on a run for next season... but I'd love it even more if we got to play the Cowboys...

I know that would likely mean we'd have to win a game

12 hours ago, Yeen80 said:

Kleese- Trivia for you. When is the last time the Redskins played a 415p game at FedEx in the final two months of the season?

OK, I won't cheat... the very first one that comes to mind is the last game of the 2007 season vs Dallas when we clinched the playoff berth. But I'm also remembering that game against the Eagles.... I think it was the 10-3 win. My memory is vague because I did not watch that game as I had no interest. I think that was 2010. 

9 minutes ago, kleese said:

OK, I won't cheat... the very first one that comes to mind is the last game of the 2007 season vs Dallas when we clinched the playoff berth. But I'm also remembering that game against the Eagles.... I think it was the 10-3 win. My memory is vague because I did not watch that game as I had no interest. I think that was 2010. 

I'm still impressed you got that Eagles win. I had completely forgot about that one. Looking it up that was 12/21/08. Wasn't that teh one Landry stopped the Eagles WR at the goaline when the clock expired?

The answer to the question was 1/2/11 vs NY Giants where they flexed us to 415 because of the Giants potential playoff chances. I initially wasnt going to go because it was cold but weathered yet another loss by Rex Grossman

Nonetheless, impressed :)

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I think our game against the Eagles in Week 14 will be flexed to 4:30. It won't go to SNF because thats currently Cowboys/Giants.

I think that is becoming increasingly likely as well.

The 4:25 feature game right now is Seattle at Green Bay-- not sure that is strong enough for FOX to want to carry that virtually nationally. Can definitely see us flexing with that game or at least being moved alongside it. That decision needs to be made after Thanksgiving week games.

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

^ didn't we also have a 4:30 Saturday afternoon game against the eagles in week 15 of 2014? 

We did. Good call. I guess I overlooked that one because it was a Saturday stand alone game

1 hour ago, kleese said:

I think that is becoming increasingly likely as well.

The 4:25 feature game right now is Seattle at Green Bay-- not sure that is strong enough for FOX to want to carry that virtually nationally. Can definitely see us flexing with that game or at least being moved alongside it. That decision needs to be made after Thanksgiving week games.

Is Seattle/Green Bay the only 425pm game that day on Fox? If so I can definitely see that moving....unless another 1pm game seems better

Archived